Thread: systolic pressure

dinadilo1 Guest

Default systolic pressure

Hi friends, I am 24 years old and I have good fitness. But recently my systolic pressure is 78 and my diastolic pressure is 62. I know this is low blood pressure but what is the cause of low systolic pressure and what is the cause of low diastolic pressure? And how can I bring it back to normal, which is 120/80? Should I consult with doctor immediately?

Last edited by dinadilo1; November 14th, 2007 at 09:08 AM.

I would see a doctor straight away or even perhaps even ring the emergency room at your local hospital and see what they recommend. Some people do have lower than average BP - it may not be anything to worry about, but if it is a sudden change or well below your normal rate it could have serious consequences. This is not intended to panic you, but if there is a problem, then it can be dealt with much easier if you get it checked out quickly.

Some factors are: how long has your blood pressure been at this rate for, and did it change rapidly or slowly? If this is not your normal BP, do you know what your normal BP is? What is your pulse? Do you have any other symptoms - eg: lightheadedness. Are you currently pregnant?

FYI - I'm not medically trained (but my dad's an ambulance officer so I've absorbed some info from him), so I'm in no way qualified to give an answer, except to say that apart from anything, you'll feel much better if you get it checked straight away rather than worrying about it.

Hope all goes well.