Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mirena IUD?

Hi everyone!

I've also noticed that my periods are a lot longer now too. Lighter as some others have said but longer. I had my first proper period after having the Mirena in the other day and it lasted around 9-10 days i think.

I also re-read the booklet you get with it and realised i was meant to go and have it re-checked after having it fitted but i did'nt! Whoops! I am pretty sure i'm not pregnant though!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Well I am still spotting from having it in over 7 weeks ago, but somedays it is barely there and others a little heavier.

I had mine checked at 6 weeks and all was fine with it, however my OB does think I may be a little low on oestrogen, so has prescribed me pessaries, so hoping that will help stop the bleeding all together till I am due for a period, however I have NO idea when it would be due now.

I don't seem to be as moody as if I was on a pill though, so I am overall really happy with it, once we get this spotting/bleeding sorted.

I had my mirena inserted last week. Had bad cramping on and off for about 5 days and some light bleeding.
    (?TMI)My problem is that i was getting this bad pain every now and then near my vagina, like there was a cut or something down there, but couldn't really feel anything, but didn't really 'explore' due to bleeding. Anyway today i got the small mirror out and had a look and its the wires from the mirena and they are hanging to the start of my vagina and obviously rubbing...i thought they were meant to be higher up??? I feel that where they are at the moment they would cause issues when we can have intercourse again.
    My questions are: Should i be able to see and feel the wires without really 'exploring' and do you think my husband will be able to feel it when we are having fun? Can the wires be trimmed?
    Have 4 weeks til my next appt...

I can only just feel the wires if I go looking for them. I've never done a visual inspection.

Yeah thats how i thought it would be...but they are right there...

paradise lost Guest

Yes, my wires only reach 2cm out of my cervix and they curl up from the os so i have to reach high and swirl my finger ournd the outside of my cervix to feel them.

Cooper if i were you i'd reach higher and see if the wires are going up into your cervix. If they are go back ASAP and ask for a pelvic exam with a view to have them shortened. It's possible that the whole thing has slipped lower, into the cervical canal, in which case it will not be providing contraceptive cover.

Really, getting it checked out is the best option.

Bx

Matryoshka Guest

Just read the whole thread....

Has anyone found this to have any effect on libido? loss of/reduction etc.

Ourlux, I haven't noticed any effect. I have heard of it happening but my ob didn't think it was that common.

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks, it happened to my friend, but i've heard it is rare. Since there was so many ladies here with it i thought i'd see if any had that as apart from that it sounds like a good option, and pretty much the only option for me after the birth.

Ourlux, IKWYM, it was pretty much my only option too. It does take a couple of months at least to settle, but I've just come up to the 6 month mark and I'm happy with it. Which is good because our only other option is the snip for DH and I'm not quite ready to make things that permanent.

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks thats good to know. I was considering the tubal ligation but i'm just not comfortable with that idea nor the snip either. The iud is sounding okay from the reports here so i'll keep an eye on this thread.

Ourlux I haven't noticed a reduction in libido either.

paradise lost Guest

None here either Ourlux

I am having a few bleeding issues though. For the first 6 months i had random spotting, then it settled into a 5-7 day "period" (1 day of light bleeding and the rest spotting) and 2-4 days of spotting mid-cycle, which wasn't heavy enough to put me off DTD (just warned DP about it, should he decide to give me oral) and was fine. Then i had a weird one where i had spotting for 5 days, off for 2, on for 6, off for 4, on for 5 again...blah blah blah. Now it seems i'm back to my general twice a month spotting but in between i'm also getting (TMI!!!) a little spotting after going #2, and possibly after sex (the only times i've noticed it i was going to the potty after sex so i don't know which it was).

I had mine put in just over a year ago and it's been such good contraceptive i'm reluctant to have it removed over this - besides i don't have many other options and we don't want to even THINK about ttc until the end of next year at the earliest... I guess i can just put up with it...? Is anyone else getting this?

Bx

Hoobley, I havent had mine in long enough to really be able to compare, but I have heard that some women have taken alot longer to get back to 'normal' so to speak, I do tend to get more sptotting after #2 and DTD tho and I think its because of #2 require a little pushing and well DTD would be like poking and proding your cervix so I think thats why that happens, yeah I wouldnt remove it either, I dont have any other options the pill makes me really sick, besides that I forget to take it and dont want another suprise and well thats really all that I would consider doing besides the Mirena.

Cooper did you get it all checked out, I know my strings are really hard to find, they are only just peeping out of my cervix so no I dont think they should be visible to you and coming right down like that.

Ourlux, I know you said this to me before so I have been keeping an eye on it, it hasnt effected me in that way at all, I am actually finding it has helped a little, I say deffinately give it a go, its not that hard for them to put in especially close to the birth of a baby, and its easy for them to remove it, so if in the end you ahte it you can have it removed, my dr has said the whole removal process takes less than 2 min from start to finish and the actual removal is about 2 secs of that so I kind of figured if after a year I hated it I would just get it out, but I gave myself a year as it can take a very long time for it to settle. but so far so good I am relly liking it,
    I like the fact I am safe and dont have to think about it at all except to do a quick check once a month and thats it, its a great peace of mind.

Me I am still spotting on and off somedays nothing others a bit, I am still happy with it, have not had any side effects as yet and I am posative its helped with my moods around AF time, I am not so quick to snap and feel so much calmer with in myself its great. it will be 3 months at the end of Jan since having it put in.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

HI girls,

Amym - how long have you been spotting for now hun? Actually I just reread your post and we must have had them put in around the same time.

I am upto about 10 weeks since I had it put in and I am still spotting, but aside from that it is fantastic. I have used the pessaries, but that does not have seemed to make a difference with it.

I have not noticed a reduction in libido - actually the complete opposite, I have totally got my mojo back and I would say ity is because I am now not worried in the back of my head about falling pregnant.

I wish I had known about these IUDs earlier, cause I would have used one earlier.

Matryoshka Guest

Thanks girls, its sounding really great.

How soon after the birth can i get it in????

I got a referral to a gyno at my 6 week check up. It took me while to get around to going but if I hadn't been slow she would have put it in straight away.
    She made me do a blood test to check I wasn't up the duff and then I had it put in when the results were back.
    I was just thinking the other day when I was walking down the tampon/pad aisle in the supermarket how much money it's saved me.
    I know that AF is due because I feel a bit bloated and crampy but it's so light that it's nothing more than coloured CM. It doesn't even need a liner.

Re the libido - I haven't noticed a reduction other than that caused by having 2 littlies to look after. In a way it's liberating because there's no worries about condoms and oopsy babies.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to walk down the tampon/ pad isle too, but my periods still come like clock work. Hopefully this may change in the future. Come on menopause!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast