Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #4

WTG Tanya My first few were disastrous ROFL. You can always pick it apart and try again. I reccon I spend just as much time unpicking as I do sewing some days

Can I jump in here too...
    I have just made some hemp prefolds, and got a delivery of PUL to make up the covers... Bit iffy on FOE, but looking forward to giving it a go. But...I am going to take a cue from Tanya and just jump in. Hopefully I can get some time on the weekend to get started.

How did you go Ruf?
    FOE can be tricky, I have only made a handful of covers using it & that was way at the begining of my MCN use. The one hic cup I had with it was I didn't cut to size then sew'd I just stretch it as I went & cut off at the end. BUT I ran out during a leg bit. Well I didn't run out of FOE but it was curled up & I didn't realise the length I had ordered came in bits. I thought it was all one length. ****ed me off a bit actually.
    So yeah just make sure you have enough before you start.

I haven't ventured into FOE cos it seems too complicated for me lol! Let us know how you go Ruf!

Well, after mucking around getting the sewing machine to work... (it was my grans and hasn't been used in a year or so), I finally got my cover made!!
    The FOE was not too hard to use, just hope that my stretching is Ok... We will soon see. I did use FJ's tip and make sure I had a more than enough to go round!
    Second cover is going to have gussets... I will attempt that later this week if I get a chance.

hi all
    hope you don't mind me jumping in. I made a few trials fitteds on the weekend out of old sheets and got some nice flannel today from spotlight to try some real ones. The staff had no idea what PUL was (for covers) though. Where can I get some?

Also, it's been suggested to me to get bamboo fleece from Snaps Australia. Does anyone know if that's the cheapest place to get it?

And another question, would you recommend washing the flannel before cutting/sewing? I got a new overlocker and am dying to try it out, but don't want the nappies to shrink/stretch in their first wash.

thanks!
    Pam

Snaps is probally the cheapest you will find it unless youc an get in on a co op to buy it in bulk.

I doubt flannel will shirnk to much & would probably just sew with it.

PUL can only be ordered on line.

Oooh... just thought I'd jump in and say YES flannel shrinks - prewash it before sewing! I made a heap of change table covers that shrunk about 20-30% so ended up not fitting the change mat. I don't want anyone to make the same mistake. The general rule is that all 100% cotton shrinks somewhat. I also made some cotton drill shorts for DS for Christmas. I didn't prewash. They fitted for the day and a few days after but he grew out of them pretty quick. I made another pair in the same pattern, same size, same fabric (but prewashed) and he's still wearing them. I know it's hard when you want to sew straight away, but believe me, prewashing is worth it.

I just wanted to pop in and say hi too as I got a box of nappy fabrics delivered from the US yesterday (and boy has postage gone up since I had DS!) so I am about to embark on another nappy making marathon. I had 24 made up when DS was born which was a great amount for a newborn, so will aim for that again I think. I am making mostly pockets but a few fitteds too. My pocket nappy pattern is my own, and I use the very baby fitted pattern.

And i forgot to add, I got bamboo fleece and bamboo velour by the yard from the bamboo fabric store (Australia) or you could check out sustainable hemp products.

Hmm... I must be a thread killer... Come back girls! I promise I won't bite.

hi jgal!

Not a thread killer, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

I ordered some bamboo fleece from the bamboo fabric store on the weekend too! The nappies I've made so far have used terry as the middle layer and booster, but Textile Traders wanted $15/m for it and I can get bamboo for $17!

9 more weeks to up my home-made stash from 8 to the 30 that I'd like to make! Think I'll be using flanny flats for the first couple of weeks though. I'm stoked that the hospital I'm going to uses cloth. Most of the girls in my antenatal classes are horrified and are bringing their own disposables!

It has been a bit quiet in here latley, sorry girls! I am so unmotivated with my sewing. It's just too much hassle to drag everything out and then pack it up once I'm done Been stalking ebay to get a sewing cabinet so then at least I have a designated spot instead of the kitchen table

Snapsaustralia sell bamboo fleece too. It's wonderful stuff. I also got some bamboo velour from bamboofabricstore. It's so soft but a b!tch to sew with cos it's very stretchy!

Maybe if you post some creations in the gallery you will motivate me to get cracking again and join in

Not having any other kids running round makes things easier. I've had my sewing machine and overlocker parked on the dining table for about a month now, and just do some when I can be bothered at night & on the w/e (still working full time).

Is the bamboo easy to overlock? The terry towelling frustrated me no end, kept jamming it up. I didn't realise bamboo was stretchy!

Bamboo is easy to overlock but takes a bit of trial to get it right. I've found that any more than 3 layers is too dense to sew (as well as dry!) and you may need to adjust the tension on your loopers to get them to meet in the middle properly.

If I want to sew when the boys are about I make sure they have a supply of drinks and snacks already left on the bench. I almost always end up with a pin sorter or two and Caleb likes to sit on my lap and supervise from time to time which is why I only sew when he's asleep

*Tania* Guest

Smile

Hi Everyone,

I am new to BellyBelly, and just wanted to say Hi to everyone, I love sewing and pretty much anything crafty and I think I have a slight addiction to Cloth Nappies, I have two little girls and have been making nappies for them and friends and family for the past 4 years...I have gone through a million pattern changes, and spent a small fortune on purchasing nappy patterns, they all had great qualities, however they all had some problems, too. So about 1 year ago I decided to get all the nappy patterns together and right what I liked about each of them and came up with my own design....DH is delighted as he no longer has to assess my designs and can get back to watching the footy....If you would like to look at some of my nappies, please go here.... http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/Taniagook/Nappies/
    If anyone would like this pattern please contact me, I am only too happy to share it...just forgive me if I do not reply straight away....still getting used to BellyBelly....

Hope to see some other nappies soon.....

Take Care
    Last edited by *Tania*; May 10th, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

everyone
    well i have a sewing machine, i have bamboo. all i need are the skills to sew!
    Where should i start do you think? Can i manage without an overlocker? I think i need to do a sewing course, i need to get the book out just to work out how to switch the light on!
    Thought i might start with a couple of boosters, think i could just about manage that.
    If i don't have an overlocker can i zigzag the edge of my bamboo before perwashing?

So many q's, so little time!

I didn't overlock before prewashing Ange. I'd like to say that I had the foresight to realise that the overlocker would just chop any frayed edges off anyway, but the truth is it didn't occur to me...

How will you make the boosters? By sewing 3 edges, turning inside out and sewing up the end? I think some people even re-sew along the first 3 edges...is that what turning and topstitching is?

Hi Tania I've developed my own pattern too though I still have a soft spot for honeyboys. I so get the DH thing lol!

Ange you don't need to overlock the bamboo but do cut it into one or two metre lengths otherwise it is too tricky to handle when it's wet and the weight will cause it to get of of shape. You can come and borrow my overlocker anytime sweets

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast