Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #4

kirsty Guest

Default Premmie Mums #4

Hi lovely ladies, here's a new thread for you to all keep on chatting.

Last thread is here

tiggy Guest

OOHHH,
    I'm first!!!

Bec, good to hear you are ok, glad that you have some symptoms!

We are good here. Family Care cottage are coming out today to see if they can help me with their problem child (and mine) Ivy. The ECHN has refferred her so I guess she is in sleep school today! Hehe, I don't like their chances!

kirsty Guest

Wishing your *problem* daughter a good day at sleep school today!!

tiggy Guest

AWWW thanks Kirsty!
    She has baffled them all day and they have taken (rapid) leave from my screaming problem child!! LOL

Hey peoples,

Not much going on over here, Anneliese still drives me mad... Having probs with bowel movements... one every 7-10 days. So on coloxyl drops, if no improvement, off to paed's... Yay!!

Hows everyone been??

tiggy Guest

I put some new piccies up if anyone is interested. In the hyperlink, birth and beyond site

Well as of today the bf is almost come to an end. I have been persisting for weeks but with no success. I feel i have tried all there is to try and Nixon is still not happy bf. The only time we seem to work it is first feed in the morning. So from tomorrow i am going to just bf him first feed, then express throughout the day (until i get sick of that)
    I feel a little sad i couldnt keep going but also extremley proud that we lasted for so long! To think Nixon had to learn how to suck and he did so well i am extremley proud of him.
    I was about to look at your new pics tiff but Nixon is a calling so will try come back later to have a look at them.
    Hope evreyone else is well, speak to you soon

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

hang in there Nic and be very proud of yourself and Nixon for how far you have come.

I am still expressing for Joel and it works fine.He just tries to bite me - LOL no teeth even and it hurts.He knows how to press my buttons.It doesn't take too much time. Whatever happens Nixon has had over 5 months b/feeding and you have done your best and more by the sound of it.

how is everyone else ?

*Beccy* Guest

Good morning....my name is Beccy.

I have a 4yo DD who was born at 36wks and didn't require any SCU...the only thing we found was that she had trouble with the sucking mechanism, but after my milk came in she fed perfectly til she was almost 2yrs.

I am nearly 32 weeks and I went into early labour last Monday. The hospital was able to stop labour and the Paediatrician gave me 2 shots of steroids to develop the baby's lungs incase the baby had to be born early.

I am hoping to get to 36wks at least....but I am terrified that I won't get there!

Can anyone give me some advice on what would happen if bubby came early? and can I try to breastfeed once bubby is strong enough? Will I just have to express each day at the hospital until I can try? Any success stories out there???

Thank you so much..
    Beccy

tiggy Guest

Hi Beccy!
    Congrats on your pregnacy. Congrats on making it to 32 weeks.
    My twinnies were born at 30 weeks and as soon as they were off the oxygen, they were allowed to attempt 1 BF a day. I was encouraged to start expressing right from when they were born. First hand expressing and then by pump.
    THey were given the EBM through a naso gastric tube until they graduated to suck feeds.
    Noah never really took to the breast and so i continued to express for him until he was four months old. I fed Ivy until six months of age.
    It is possible to BF a prem.
    Ivy got the idea really quickly and just went from strength to strength. The frustrating thing for me was only being allowed to attempt once a day, then twice etc. It's because they get too tired.

At 32 weeks and with the steroids, hopefully your baby won't need any help to breathe or if he/she does then it should be minimal. Probably CPAP, which is a thing that looks like snorkels that pushes oxygen into the babies lungs. It als has a wet pack, which makes everything moist.
    Baby might have to go into a humidicrib and may need to have lights because prems are often jaundiced.
    he/she will most probably need a feeding tube in the nose.
    There are lots of photos on Ivy and Noah's site if you want to look but there is also a really good site calle Austprem. It is an Aussie Victorian site and looks after premmie families. They'll be able to give you heaps of advice and support.
    Welcome to our little group though. I hope that you make it to 36 weeks.

*Beccy* Guest

Tiff ~ thank you very much. You answered everything so perfectly. I really appreciate hearing about what could be...just to prepare myself.

Yes, the Paed was wonderful and said that the steroids that he gave me would be enough to sufficiently develop the baby's lungs so that if it was born now it would have no breathing difficulties! Thank goodness.

I am feeling more and more positive everyday and, I have my fingers (and legs crossed)... LOL!

Thanks... I will have a look at the websites as soon as I get time today!

Cheers
    Beccy

kirsty Guest

Beccy I had James at 32weeks & I had had the steroid injections for his lungs. In the first few moments after he was born he had trouble breathing so they took him straight up to NICU but by the time they got him up there he was breathing by himself so only needed a humidicrib to help him maintain his body temperature.

Hi Beccy,

I had my son at 33weeks. i had the steriod injections but the 2nd one was only about 8hrs b4 i had him and dont know that it had time to get to him. He had some fluid on his lungs and they started him with CPAP ( which is continuos positive airway pressure) but the was fully ventilated (tube from his mouth into his lungs) for 4 days when he was still working a bit to hard.
    Most of us girls on here have pics of our bubs in NICU & SCN on our websites so just getting a look of what things go on may help.
    i was able to walk through special care b4 giving birth & helped us to understand what goes on in there.
    Not long after i had my boy a friend of mine had her boy @ 32weeks. But he did not need any help breathing. At 33 weeks i would told the average size is between 1.8- 2kg, he was almost 2.3kg
    in regards to feeding. i think babys dont get their sucking reflex until 34-35weeks, so as Tiff said he/she may start with a tube into the nose & you expressing and gradually build on that.
    i hope bubs can stay in there for atleast another 4 weeks for you. we will all b here to support u and offer and help we can. i just joined Austprem too and they r very supportive too. All the best Beccy

Hi Trish,
    how are the boys going anyway? so is Joel always on a bottle then & Sam bf?

we are heading to Sydney on Thursday for a week and a half. Will just be hanging out with all our family & friends and we are getting Nixon christened on the 1st October.

Tiff- love the new pics, I LOVE those little outfits, were they from Target? I seen them a few times when nixon was only a month or two old & neally bought i think there is a dragon one? hehe they are great!

I said it in your thread but CONGRATULATIONS Rae!! cool both you and Bec first bubs are the same age & now u will be going through No#2 together!

Carrie? Haven't heard from you in a while, how is Kyla going? Hopefully over the gastro again and healthy & happy.
    Simone- when do u come back from Perth? i tried giving Nixon some prune juice when he wasnt seeming to poo much, not sure if it helped or not but maybe worth trying!

tiggy Guest

Nic,
    Yeah, we got them from Target! I loved the dragon one too but David thought seeing as we live in the county and Ivy just HAD to be a chicken, a cow (or Bull) would be appropriate for Noah!! hehe.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with BFing. Don't beat yourself up about it though. You have done an amazing job, feeding him for this long. It's so hard with a premmie baby.
    Hope the expressing goes well.

Hey girls

Beccy...my DS was born at 32 weeks. We had a bit of notice that he was going to come early and I was able to have the two steroid injections. They must have done the trick because he was breathing on his own a few hours after his birth. (He was put on CPAP for his first few hours as a precaution). I also expressed all his feeds (he had them through a tube) until he was strong enough to start breastfeeding. We gradually introduced breastfeeds and once he was able to have every feed as a BF, he was allowed to come home. (Total of 4 weeks in hospital). I still had to do a fair bit of expressing when he came home to supplement his feeds as he wasn't a very strong breastfeeder and eventually we had to swap to formula (about 4-5 months) as he just wasn't getting what he needed from the BF's, but he thrived regardless. Anyway, here's hoping that your little bub stays put for many weeks yet in any case! Hang in there bub!

Tiff...the new pics are great! I love the suits too - so cute! They are lovely pics of you with the twins too.

Nic...I second what Tiff said...you have done a fantastic job BFing as long as you have and you should be proud. Good luck with the expressing.

Trish, Kirsty, Carrie, Simone...

Big news here big news here!!!!

Today Nixon rolled from tummy to his back for the first time!!! hehehe i got so excited (i know when he is a rolly polly around the house i will be wishing he wasnt!) he did it at mothers group!
    he has been trying really hard to do it from back to tummy, gets about half way. last night dh were sitting with him encouraging him but today he just did it without even thinking and from his tummy. i put him back and he did it again!

i havent told dh yet, gonna put him on his tummy when he gets home and hope that he does it for him!

WTG Nixon!!

What a clever boy! Did he do it again for his dad, Nic?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast