Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tizzie Hall routines

Default Tizzie Hall routines

Has anyone used Tizzie's methods via email, her books, purchased online articles etc? If so, can you please comment on their effectiveness/usefulness? Many thanks!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here's an old thread. You can search the site for more replies too but lots of comments.

It's not one I recommend, nor do many lactation consultants due to the feeding regime but a few mothers like it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Yeah, not for me, not sure of her credentials and she craps me off a bit actually!

blerk!!!
    If I said she's irresponsible and dreadful she'd probably pop up threaten to sue Kelly and me and anyone else who has viewed the thread so I'll just bite my tongue *bite*

Me four? I have read the book and while it does appeal to think that you can have the "ideal" baby... I found neither of my children would be able to fit into that ideal. Both my girls are individuals... both completely different, and both worked best with a rhythm that fit them. With my first I tried a more strict routine because of all the issues we had with her sleeping and feeding and found it made it heaps worse. HTH.

I didn't realise how controversial her methods were until I just read the 2006 thread discussion. Many thanks for that, Kelly. I now understand the situation a bit better. I think I will stick to my natural parenting instincts!

Yeah, her routines don't take into account individuals. What about the kids, mine included, that have food sensitivities? No routine it going to work until the culprit foods etc are found and eliminated.

Thanks goodness this thread is here! I've been having some trouble with DD's sleeping and after talking to BF and HN who both love it I was feeling a bit of pressure to do her routines. I don't want to cause they are so ridiculously strict!! I did like some of her settling ideas but there is now way I will leave DD screaming or even crying and patting her for up to 40 mins when I can give her a quick cuddle and she will fall asleep. Yes we're still having some issue but I'm sure there are some other ways to solve them. Anyway good to hear that she is not someone I have to pay attention to!

I'm a cuddler too Jordie. Much easier (and nicer) than patting. I gave up the "no eye contact" rule (not sure if this is Tizzie's or some other expert's) VERY early after DD entranced me one night at 3am and I couldn't take my eyes off her. I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

Its a joke that so many routines out there expect us to treat our babies in a way that we would never treat our loved ones. Like at night, when we are cuddling up to our partner all snuggled in and wanted to connect for the night but what if they kept looking away and wouldn't give eye contact. Blugh.

The books I think are must reads are the Science of Parenting by Margot Sunderland and any of Pinky McKays books. You will get plenty of ideas and reassurance about how you parent, from birth to childhood. It's all about respect. Even that new government health website worth 11m of our hard earned taxes is a huge disappointment. In it, it tells you that when you do controlled crying, is can make babies vomit and you shouldn't make a fuss of it and carry on. Well I am sorry, but that's plain disturbing and if a child, let alone any human vomits in distress then I am not going to pretend nothing happened and move on. They are in need of COMFORT.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

OMG! hack in and take it down!!! That's appalling!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

OMG really??? Do they have a feedback function on that website? Coz I've got some feedback for them alright!

I entered feedback when I first came across it. Absolutely horrified that a Govt website promotes such practices.

Deirdre, have you checked out our main site which has heaps of settling articles?

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/baby/

Oh and those who want to thrash the raising children network (trust me, lots of us have written in and complained but it's still there since 2006, serving the community - gotta love the government!):

What if my baby vomits?
    Some babies tend to vomit more often than others and about one in five may vomit during controlled comforting. If this happens it can be upsetting for baby and parent. Try to calmly clean up any vomit from the bed and put a clean nappy wrap under your baby?s head. It's best to avoid making a big fuss, turning on lights, or completely changing the baby unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise, some babies can learn to vomit each time they are put into the cot.
    This is a Royal Children's Hospital article, from Melbourne!

Raising Children Network | Controlled comforting

Complain at the link at the bottom of the article 'Feedback - tell us what you think of this article'

What I think isn't appropriate for the family timeslot It's a monstrosity
    Kelly xx

You can rate the article too. I suggest giving it one star so that other parents can see how poorly it's rated even if they won't pull it.

Yes, I have had an enjoyable read of the articles, thanks Kelly. I still can't get over the 'vomiting' part on Raising Children!!

This is a bit off topic but I studied history so I guess my first thought is always, "well, I wonder what people did 50, 100, 500 years ago?"

Strikes me that parents used to sing their children lullabies and now progress and so-called experts are saying that controlled crying is the go and don't worry about the vomiting. So much for progress!

If anyone knows of any 17th, 18th, 19th and early 20th century parenting books, I'd be really interested just to see what was advocated then. I'm guessing thought that this knowledge was passed down verbally from mother to daughter. I'm not saying they had all the answers by the way, I'm sure they had some pretty strange ways of doing things too - but just curious from a historical perspective.

I've rated that article & given feedback saying how ridiculous it is. Absurd really. I think that we should continue to let them know how old and outdated their information is on sleep issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast