Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

frankfurters

As for party food, toys is always a good option. Maybe cars for boys and something girly or even pretty head pieces etc for the girls.

Love

oh sushi is a great idea....just small rolls with avocado or cucumber

Another thing you can do in advance is savoury cups, or vol au vents (sp?). You can get some filo cut it out and put into mini muffin tins, once cooked cool and store till the day, then fill with whatever you like avocado & chicken & pine nuts, salsa & cheese & chicken, whatever and with the vol au vent you can make like a hot cheesey bacony onion sauce ie more bacon & cheese & onion than sauce LOL fill the pastries and grill the tops or even just serve them that way. Or make up a thick mushroom sauce, YUM!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Another thing LOL I am never ending I swear and I also like things I can prepare in advance.

Get some melba toasts and top however you like.

Some things I do is buy some pate, dip or salmon mouse whizz it in a herb chopper and then pipe it onto the melba toasts (you can add herbs or capers to the dip/pate choose a flavour that will go well with it) then top with either a caper or some caviar or some curled thinly cut spring onions.

ANnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd bruschetta this is great coz the mixes can go well in advance. Get a french stick and cut into slices you can toast if you like but its not a must. You can either make up a tomato mix (chopped tomato, balsalmic, salt & pepper, splash of olive oil & basil) and store it in a container in the fridge till you need it (ie early that morning) or you can do say roast pumpkin, sage & persian fetta where you roast small cubes of pumpkin with sage, then refridgerate then put a bit of pumkin & cheese on the french stick slices.

If I think of more I'll post LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

That bread dip thing that people do ie. buy a cobb loaf, take out the inside bread and fill with a dip before ripping up the bread from the inside and placing on the plate is always a good one. Meanwhile, I'm not sure what I just described even makes sense! *L*

Cupcakes with bright icing are always good with the kids, piklets with jam & cream. As for hot foods, chicken dippers/nuggets, spring rolls (cook in oven rather than oil) etc are always favourites. Cheerios are always a fav, they also work well inside those little 'bake-at-home' dinner rolls you can buy from Woolies. Good old cheese & kabana with Jatz for the parents will work well too! *L*

A good dip for the cobb loaf thing that beck mentioned is 2 tubs spreadable philly and 1 pkt frozen spinach (defrosted). mix it all up and serve cold.

Thanks Ladies for all the fab suggestions.
    Jillian, How much was the Donna Hay book? If you say it is good I might go and buy it.

I saw the magazine in a newsagents for $7.95 - looks good!

Hi Jillian and Nell,
    I did buy it and it does have some great ideas. When dd is a bit bigger I will try one of the theme parties. It has some great ideas on how to decorate patty/cup cakes a bit differently and how to change "adult" food to be more child friendly.
    But just have to say the pictures of the "perfect children" cooking make me laugh. I wish my DD and I looked that good when we are making a mess in the kitchen.

You can get last years issue on back order I am a bit of a DH fan

*hugs*
    Cailin

You can order back issues of Donna Hay off isubscribe, or check out ebay, there's heaps of DH mags and cookbooks there. I am going to subscribe cos I had to go to three different newsagents to find the new Donna Hay kids issue!
    Bon

mooshie Guest

Default party food

okay girls

i am in the middle of organising lani's 1st birthday extravangza lmao - 65 adults and 48 kids arhhh i hate my dh family it is quite large lol.

anyway i am doing mostly finger food so some recepies would be great - just easy stuff, i am doing a few big lasagna's and the traditional party pies sausage rolls and little boys etc but a few nice things for the grown ups would be good.

oh and a couple of "cob loaf" dip recepies, i had a few but don't know where they are.

tia

kirsty Guest

Mooshie I enquired about "cob loaf" recipes as well & if you look down the initial page there is a link in it all that Melinda put in with a couple of recipes. HTH, if I haven't managed to confuse you.

Good luck with such a huge party, we have got James' 3rd birthday in just under a fortnight & have got about 30 going including some kids.

kirsty Guest

Just had a quick squizz & it is in the post titled "Has anyone got......."

Melinda Guest

Here's a link for cob loaf Michelle.

kirsty Guest

Have you thought about maybe some mini meatballs on toothpicks, or mini kofta's for the adults that will be there????

Okey dokey.... My suggestion would be to track down a food service place & get some ovenable things from there, it will make your job heaps easier with so many people to cater for. I used to work for PFD Foods in Sydney & they originated in Melbourne so you'd be able to find them pretty easily.

From there I'd suggest things like ****tail quiche, spring rolls, samosas, pastizzis, meatballs, mini chicken wings..... I could go on for ages! All of them are easy to make - just chuck them in the oven!!

mooshie Guest

thanks for the replies

cob loaf recepies thank you very handy.

sarah i am thinking along exactly what you suggested.

there are a couple of wholesalers that have small shops to sell direct to te public, i have a few price lists and they seem reasonable and in bulk.

lets just hope it doesn't rain now lmao

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast