Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

Just found this recipe Tamara and it sounds yummy.

One quick question, do you use tinned or fresh asparagus?

Default spinach and onion dip, very very yummy indeed

This is a recipe I got from my SIL she always brought this dip along and it was just so yummy and moreish you just cant stop eating it and has been a hit every time I have made it even my kids like it and my ds will not eat anything with green stuff in it so it was very suprising when he asked me to make him some for lunch and he ate every little drop.

Combine equel amounts of:
    S & W whole egg mayonnaise
    light sour cream

Add to taste
    French onion soup mix
    (start with only a small tspn & add gradually as can overpower dip really quickly)

Add:
    1 can finely sliced water chestnuts
    I pkt cooked (drain really well of water once cooked) & cooled frozen spinach, can be fresh of course depends on what you want to use I use frozen and it works really well.

I serve this in a crusty loaf of bread either a cob loaf or a block, I scoop out all of the bread inside and break it up for people to use to scoop out the dip with, it is very yummy this way,
    for my kids I get dinner rolls and do the same thing they love it as its their own little ( HEALTHY but dont tell em that ) party food dip

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

Mmmmmm...I wish I had all the ingredients I would make some right now! I am one of those strange people that actually like spinach.

Bon

oh I'm drooling I love french onion mix as a dip & with spinach its fantastic!

do you think I can have it for dinner?

Bon I know I must say i think I am one of those wierd people too I have been wishing all day I had all of the ingredients mmmmmm warning it is very addictive.

Christy If its in the house I will eat it for lunch I supose its kinda healthy afterall it is spinach LOL

Amy, I make this all the time to take to BBQ's etc. It's like a meal in itself. Haven't tried it with water chestnuts though, might try that next time.

Sherie, it is isn't it I love having it for lunch, the water chestnuts just give it some really nice crunchy bits and make for a great texture :flower: .

My sister makes this all the time and I've not ever asked her for the recipe although I should have! Thanks for posting it, now I can make this yummy dip too!

Default Party Food?

I want your ideas/recipes for my baby shower food... We are having it at 2pm so after lunch, and will hopefully be doing some pampering rather than games...

I am at a total loss for ideas of what food to serve. A few friends are very health concious so some healthy ideas would be great too...

The only things that I can come up with are dips and vegies/chips etc, and sandwhiches????

PLEASE HELP!!!

What about a cheese fondue with vegetables? or a cob loaf dip? A fruit platter is always a hit too.

Perhaps a banana or carrot cake?
    Also I have made fruit kebabs before - where you get the skewer and put pieces of fruit on it. You can just leave it fresh or you can lightly grill them.

I will try and think of some other ideas...

Small chicken skewers (using tenderloin strips is easy) grilled with a satay sauce / sweet chilli / BBQ sauce for dipping. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Mini quiches (warm or room temp) with spinach / bacon / salmon fillings. Meatballs (warm or room temp) - these can be made with beef / lamb / chicken / turkey mince depending on your preference. Pastitsies (sp) - pastries with meat or vegetable fillings (can be found in the freezer section of the supermarket if you don't have a local distributor) are nice too if you want something hot. Hope this helps and enjoy the baby shower!!

Tuna Mornay in Volivonts (make the mornay then fill the volivonts, top with a little cheese and pop in the oven for a few minutes. You can get mornay packs in the supermarket).
    The fruit kebabs are always a hit, serve with some yogurt or honey for dipping.
    Cheese and tomoato on crackers always works.
    You can make veggie chips - use a veggie peeler to cut the veggies (potato, sweet potatoe, carrot etc), place on baking tray, spray with a little oil, put in a hot oven until crispy. Healthier version of chips.
    Bruschetta
    Spring rolls (not exactly healthy though)
    You could go for some fun childish things like fairy bread and chocolate crackles.
    rice paper rolls (can buy them from Vietnamese shops or make them. I have a couple of reciepies I can send)
    Prawn or salmon cakes (AKA patties)
    A cheese platter
    Antipesto (sp?) - olives, sundried tomatoes,cheeses etc etc and appropriate bread on a platter. Actually, I think you can order these ready made from Coles and Safeway deli sections?

HTH - I have a million cooking books and LOVE this kind of stuff! have a great Baby Shower!

MG

Colleen Guest

yeah i was just going to suggest a cheese platter, or perhaps some fruit...

Mg seemed to cover all the good stuff lol

LOL Colleen! And I have more!
    Jelly cups
    Orange Poppyseed cake
    mini fruit pies
    ham and cheese crossants
    real choc hot chocolate (warm milk with choc shavings in it - YUM! Melt cooking choc, spread over surface, shave with veggie peeler, put on plate next to cup of warm milk. add to drinkers taste, let it melt and drink!)
    Choc dipped strawberried
    I could go on and on and on and on...!

MG - can we go to a party at your place!!!! Yum!!

I'm just waiting for MG to go on and on and on! It sounds great so far!

ok WardyGirl...
    prawn skewers (stick a few on bamboo skewers, brush with a little garlic butter, cook - or leave the butter off)
    cranberry and port truffels
    potato omelets
    cupcakes
    biscuits in the shape of dummy's, nappies or baby's (Short bread and ginger bread work best)
    going back to the hot choc - to keep in the theme of the baby shower - serve it in bottles
    home made sausage rolls
    "mince pies" (royal biscuits with a little white melted choc on top, a jaffa on toop of that and a mint leaf cut in half on either side of that. More a christmas thing but very tasty)
    little hot dogs or sausages in mini bread rolls
    salmon with a little sour cream and chives on either crackers or bruschetta
    chicken wings and drummetts (messy though)
    mini pizza (muffins broken in half topped with tomoato paste and whatever topping you like)
    muffins (choc, apple whatever you like)
    Fruit salad
    mini nacho cups
    danishes

ok, better go do assignment now...it's very overdue....

ETA: Forgot to add piklets and crumpets and scones

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast