Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Entertaining/Party Food (inc Dips)

Debbie Lee Guest

OOoo yum, Sherie. That'd probably work. Can you picture a toblarone bar melted thru it?

Oh you girls are so bad!!!!

I just bought a fondue set off ebay so I could 'play' with the yummy things in this thread. (I had one years ago but silly me, gave it away.)

Can't wait until it arrives!

It is wicked isn't it Rachel. Mum can't get over how fondue sets have come back in, because back in her day, if you didn't have a fondue set, you just weren't 'up there' LOL.I reckon you could Debbie, so long as you made sure not to curdle the yoghurt kwim? The yoghurt itself is really lush and yummy on it's own.

Debbie Lee Guest

Mmm yum!

Friends of ours own one of those Chocolate fountains that you see at markets. I managed to score some free chocolate fondue when they were at Pakofesta last year. YUM!!
    I'm trying to convince my sister to have the chocolate fountain at her wedding. I reckon it'd be a great feature!! (they do weddings and private functions apparently).

does anyone know how i can make a nice dip without dairy?

littlerigger Guest

A pest dip or a dip that's a salsa or avocado one (I'm allergic to dairy so these are what I have)

Hummous or eggplant or beetroot dips...as well as guacomole & salsa & bean dip.... yum.... tapanade... oh the options are endless Danni!! I am a bit dairy intolerant so wouldn't choose to make a dip with dairy. Some beetroot dips are fantastic with fetta though, and I haven't made one in years.

My hummous dip:

1 can chick peas drained & rinsed
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp cumin ground
    1 clove garlic crushed
    salt & pepper

I use a handheld mixer and start whirring as I drizzle in olive oil. If I think that it is too gluggy I may add a tablespoon at a time of water or more lemon juice. I sprinkle a pinch of paprika in too.

Mexican Bean Dip

1 can refried beans
    1/2 cup fresh salsa ( I cheat often & use Old El Paso Medium Salsa)

Warm & mix... if you are dairy friendly try with 1/2 cup cheese grated in & melted.

Servie with tortilla chips and/or warmed tortillas.
    Last edited by christy; October 12th, 2006 at 04:38 PM.

and eggplant recipes please?

Debbie Lee Guest

OOoo ooooo! Just did the groceries and I saw that the Honey Buzz yoghurt still exists! It's the Ski Delite brand... so, yep.. if anyone makes that toblarone dip, get one of those big tubs of the honey buzz yoghurt.

I nearly grabbed one myself but we are having a BBQ next weekend so I thought I'd save it for then

I know Dachlostar has an amazing recipe for this she's posted somewhere... but I'll put mine up jic...

Eggplant Dip

Ingredients:
    1 large eggplant
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tbsp tahini
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1/4 cup chopped shallots
    salt & pepper
    paprika

Slice eggplant & stab with a fork. (I salt & pepper the eggplant) pop it on a baking tray lined with baking paper for 30-40 minutes on 200. Let cool, or put in bowl of ice water to cool quickly. Peel & chop. Put in blender or use hand held mixed with all other ingredients except paprika. Refrigerate and serve with paprika sprinkled over the top & should be cold.

ETA: Here is Dachlostar's recipe for the eggplant dip (or properly named baba ganouj(sp?))
    Last edited by christy; October 12th, 2006 at 07:47 PM.

yum!!! any avocado ones?

When I do my guacomole I use 1-2 ripe avocados, salt & pepper, sqeeze of lime juice, 1/4 cup fresh salsa (or again...the Old El Paso one will do) and a sprinkle of garlic salt. Mash it all up, yum!!

fantastic!!!

Woo Hoo! My fondue set arrived yesterday. *wonders* Now which one shall I make first!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678