Thread: Lowish Blood Pressure

Default Lowish Blood Pressure

HI guys at my first GP visit to confirm preg and to get referals etc I had my BP taken. She said it was on the low side of normal at 115/68. I have had dizzy spells and quite often feel light headed.

My question is, is this just a first trimester thing or can it go on?

Love

From what my doctor told me, it's more common to get the lowered blood pressure in the second trimester? Did the doctor explain any possible reasoning to you?

No she just said it was on the lower side of normal. Do you guys think it is an ok BP?

Love

Hi, my BP the other day was 110/68 (I think, might have been 60, DH can't remember either) and my OB said that was a great BP. But I haven't been feeling faint. In my first pregnancy, my BP was fine, a bit higher than it is with this one, but I fainted a little bit, and it was because my blood sugar was too low. So you might be feeling faint because of blood sugar levels and not BP maybe? If you are worried, getting a second opinion never hurt anyone :-)

Hey - I wouldn't worry!

My blood pressure for most of my pregnancy was 95/70 ish, and no-one was ever concerned.

I think it would only matter if it is much different to what your BP is normally.

Helen, thats a great BP!!! I am an ED nurse and would be totally happy if i took BP and that is what the reading was. BP's can vary for any person depending on a number of factors, including weight, genetics. level of fitness etc etc. The only thing i would worry about is that you are feeling dizzy and light headed. I wouldnt say at all that you had a low BP.
    You can have a quick drop in BP when you go from lying down/sitting to standing very quick which can cause light headeness/dizziness. That is called postural BP. Also i have found especially when you are lying down for quite a while on your back (not good for bubba), then thats when i get dizzy. Even when lying down. Just makes sure that you are drinking lots of fluids- at least 2L of water a day, stick to a good diet and exercise when you can.
    As Allipralli said, this BP reading might be normal for you. Dont worry too much, its much worse if you had a high BP.
    Good luck

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. I am due to have BT soon so I guess that will let me know.

Love

Helen, I've always had low bp during pg. It's usually around 100/60, yesterday it was 90/55. So a little low, but my dr expects it to be low everytime I see him. If you're feeling light headed, just lie down with your feet elevated. That should do the trick.

Thanks Jodi.

Love

Helen, i wouldnt worry, my BP is always lower than that even when not preg, i am sure you will be fine!!!

i usually have low blood pressure and at my last visit I said to my ob i had been feeling dizzy etc, my BP was 105/65 compared to 120/75 from the previous month. Low pressure is better than high... just remember not to push yourself too hard and when you sit down, try to put your feet up. My ob said when you are pregnant everything relaxes, including your veins so they open wider than normal meaning the blood rushes to your feet when sitting, so stand slowly or you will feel very dizzy as it takes longer than normal for the blood to get back to your head!
    Good luck for the rest of the pregnancy and just keep a record of it if you are concerned

You can actually buy your own blood pressure monitor if you want to record it, we have one as DF's is a lil high and mine is a lil low - if only we could even each other out!