Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy Symptoms in the First Trimester

Quote Originally Posted by healthychick View Post
    hey JMO & welcome

I'm not much help on the bleeding stuff as i didn't have any of that but what may help is to speak to your GP about having a dating scan now. the first doctor I saw didn't suggest one (and really wasn't much help in any area) so I went to a different surgery & found a lovely GP who referred me for a dating scan as I said I didn't really know when I conceived due to irregular periods etc. I went for the scan thinking I was seven weeks & turned out I was only five! We couldn't see much, more of a flicker on the screen, but it was reassuring to know there really was a baby there as I'd not had many symptoms at that point. i'd just started feeling sick the day before the scan.. Best thing was that the dating scan was covered by medicare at the place I went to (don't know if that's standard).

good luck

Thanks healthychick,
    I am currently on a field trip for work & this couldn't be happening at a worse time. I have had 2 days of heavy, almost black discharge - and i won't be home until 30/11 (should be 9 weeks). Not feeling particularly positive about my situation - but i am certainly going in to see my GP as soon as i am back in the state! will post again when i know more.

Hi JMO,

I'm sorry for the stress you're going through right now. I hope everything is going to be fine. I just wanted to let you know that even if you are in another state you are allowed to go to hospital. All hospitals in Australia have a duty of care. I was in the Royal Women's in Melbourne, VIC myself last week with two girls from Perth, WA who had a pregnancy scare. I know it's not the same as being seen by your own doctor, but maybe you don't want to wait such a long time to get answers and possible resolutions?

I hope all is okay.
    Chava

Default 5weeks preg- help!

Hi All

I am about 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and I have not got any symptoms of pregnancy. I keep waiting to get sore boobs or feel sick or see changes in my breasts but nothing.

I have been drinking heaps and peeing heaps too becuase I drink so much. The preg test keeps coming back positive though- will get blood test confirmation from Dr tommorrow.

Bit worried because after my hubby and I DTD, I have a slight brownish discharge- hoping it is just blood from uterus and nothing to worry about. No cramping though

Is anyone else not having all the symptoms? Does anyone else get the slight bleed after DTD?

Hi all,

For all of you having fluro wee...are you on vitamin supplements? Vit B cause fluro urine. Other than that I don't know what would cause fluro urine..maybe dehydration?

I am 8w6d pg and have only had nausea as a pregnancy symptom, but the nausea has been awful Although my boobs are growing everyday Im not getting painfully sore bb's. I was worried for awhile that I was reading that alot of women were having really sore bb's, vomitting etc and here I am not experiencing much at all.

I was having period pain for the first 6 weeks and I ended up having a large bleed but ultrasounds show everything is ok

Anyway, would be very interested to find out what the fluro wee thing is...hope everyone is well

My worst fears were confirmed yesterday - did a pg test & came back negative . Confirmed the bleeding was a miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks. Due to the fact that I had to wait over a week to see my doctor, I had already prepared myself mentally for this, so i wasn't too emotional.
    GP said that there was probably nothing that could have helped at this point of pg & given the bleeding had stopped after 4 days, there was no need for the trauma of a curette (thank goodness). He said my cycle should return to normal & that the bleeding could be considered a normal period. Hoping i might even ovulate in a couple of days so we can resume TTC.
    Thanks to all for your support.

Hi JMO

Really sorry to hear that love, good luck with the new cycle and TTC, fingers crossed for you! Keep us up to date won't you

Delphmoon - yes, the vitamins do cause fluoro wee but if you're drinking enough water it should pass about an hour or so after taking the tabs, pee should ideally be clear. There is the possibility though that the excess hormones etc are being broken down in the kidneys and making the colour stronger, I did notice my pee stronger coloured in the first few weeks. Just make sure to drink well over 2 litres of water a day - personally in nutrition I recommend people drink 1 litre a day per 25kg of body weight but often that's hard with the nausea (i know i found it hard when i felt sick all the time).

Good luck with with the sickness - mine finally passed at about 15-16 weeks..yay!

Big hugs to all.

So sorry to hear that JMO , my sympathies...fingers crossed too.

Bit of a bizare question. But has any had the sneezes more during pregnancy than normal? Lately I get this compulsion to sneeze that doesn't seem to come from any irriatation, but from a slightly quesey rolling feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Also having sleep issues at night, feeling extremely clamy & warm even with AC on.

Unhappy falling hCG

Hello everyone,

Just received a phone call from the clinic. My hCG has dropped from 70,000 to 52,000 in a week I am 10 weeks pregnant and am soo sad I got this far only to be having an 'impending miscarriage'. My 7 week scan was perfect

The doctor says I need to wait for a ultrasound next week to find out if I am in fact going to have a miscarriage- at present I have no miscarriage symptoms but I no longer have tender breasts.

MOst of what I have read says a falling hCG is almost always a sign of impending miscarriage, but I have come across some saying hCG doesnt matter much in late first trimester. Would appreciate some advice from you all...

Thanks

Oh no Delphmoon, sorry to hear that you're being stressed out. first don't panic as that's more likely to do harm than anything else..

Ok, apparently HCG levels can start falling at 9-10 weeks, here's a piece from a medical journal:

Family physicians often use quantitative human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) testing to assess first-trimester bleeding. While we anticipate a range of normal results for any given week in the first trimester, we predict an approximate doubling over 48 hours in a normal pregnancy during the first trimester. Human chorionic gonadotropin tends to peak at about 10 weeks’ gestation before declining and stabilizing. When HCG levels plateau prematurely or fail to rise as expected, we consider that the pregnancy might not be viable. The average doubling time for HCG levels during the first 6 weeks from conception (8 weeks gestational age) is 1.94 days.1 This increases to an average of 4.75 days between 6 and 8 weeks from conception (8 to 10 weeks gestational age)1; HCG levels then begin to plateau, reaching an average peak of about 100 000 IU/L before declining and stabilizing at approximately 20 000 IU/L.2 This generally occurs at 10 to 14 weeks gestation, at which point HCG levels become less helpful in the evaluation of first-trimester bleeding.

Here's a case stated in his journal, it's a bit long but may be useful:

Case description
    Mrs S.C., a 28-year-old primiparous woman, was diagnosed at a walk-in clinic with a 6-week pregnancy. She was referred to our clinic for prenatal care, and an appointment was made for about 12 weeks’ gestation. Several weeks later, however, she returned to the walk-in clinic because of postcoital spotting that had lasted 1 day. There was no associated cramping. Her estimated gestational age (EGA) by confident dates was 8 weeks, 5 days. Her examination revealed blood in the vaginal vault, but was otherwise normal with no cervical dilation or pathology. Quantitative HCG test results showed her HCG level was 167 343 IU/L. She was asked to repeat the test the next day; results showed a level of 131 681 IU/L.She was asked to come to our clinic for further evaluation. While awaiting her appointment, her HCG test was repeated again, 48 hours after the second test (EGA 9 weeks, 1 day). Results showed a further drop to 115 104 IU/L. She was seen in our clinic several days later (EGA 9 weeks, 5 days) with no further bleeding or pain. Results of examination were normal. Results of a follow-up HCG test, however, showed her levels had dropped yet again to 104 177 IU/L. Prenatal laboratory workup also determined that she was Rh-negative.Based on the 3 consecutive HCG drops, I initiated a difficult discussion with the patient. I discussed the progressive decline in HCG as representing, in all likelihood, a nonviable pregnancy. As usual in these circumstances, I addressed the issues of guilt, blame, and grief associated with miscarriage. We discussed management options, including chemical induction, dilation and curettage, and watchful waiting. The patient opted to wait for spontaneous completion of her miscarriage. Finally, I referred her for treatment to suppress the immune response, in light of her Rh-negative status.Before receiving treatment the following week, a confirming ultrasound was obtained. At 10 weeks, 6 days EGA, ultrasound scans revealed a viable 11-week pregnancy. This experience understandably resulted in an emotional roller coaster for my patient, who graciously but decidedly transferred her care to another physician.

If you're still a little concerned, here are some suggested by Francesca Naish in her 'the natural way to a better pregnancy' book: have best rest, avoid intercourse (!), ensure continued good nutrition with extra supplementation of zinc (40mg 2x daily), vitamin C (2g 2x daily), bioflavanoids (especially from cherries & citrus) & B6 (with B-complex), 100mg daily.

I'm not sure if this info helps but I know sometimes it feels better to be doing something..

most of all rest, and don't worry about the blood results, according to the medical journals it definitely doesn't mean that anything is inevitable & shame on your docs for worrying you

Keep us up to date

Question

Thankyou HC for your reply. I managed to get an urgent ultrasound and read your reply while waiting in the room for an ultrasound...it gave me a glimer of hope.

The doctor told me the ultrasound would be more for me and DP to see the foetus before it 'departs'...I thought it was all over...

But...we have a strong heartbeat (167bpm), and no noticable bleeding in the uterus. The sonographer said its a very normal ultrasound result!! sOO WOOHOOO

but..what do I do now? Am I still awaiting a miscarriage even tho I have no symptoms other than this falling hCG? I contacted the doc and have made an appointment for tomorrow- I intend to keep a close eye on my levels!

Thankyou sooo Much HC for your reply- I feel abit more empowered now!

Hey Delph, I'm not a doctor but if the sonogram is healthy and HCG levels tend to start dropping between week 10-14 naturally, i'd say the chances you're about to MC are slim, slim, slim. Tell that doctor of yours off for worrying you, decide everything is normal and have a relaxing weekend

(by the way, how come they even checked your HCG levels so far along? most docs don't check it after the initial confirmation unless you have bleeding..)

(by the way, how come they even checked your HCG levels so far along? most docs don't check it after the initial confirmation unless you have bleeding..)
    I was just wondering the same thing. I was never told my hcg levels with either pregnancy and didn't have blood tests except to confirm pregnancy. My gp wasn't even going to do that test with DS2 as he said the urine tests are accurate enough.

Try not to worry now. The ultrasound showed a healthy baby and pregnancy.

Hey Delphmoon

Just thought I'd check in and see how you are? I hope that everything went well over Christmas and the scary phase is over?

Healthychick

My nose will not stop running! I sneeze every 15 mins or so...and it's not pretty little girly sneezing either, it's full blown 'I-have-clear-fluid-flying-out-of-my-face-get-out-of-the-way' sneezing. I have to change my shirt 5 times a day because I keep getting sneeze all over. Hahaha this is gross!

Hey Delphmoon

Just thought I'd check in and see how you are? I hope that everything went well over Christmas and the scary phase is over?

Healthychick
    Hi HC,

Wow- thankyou for inquiring about me~!
    What a massively scary time. Bubbles is still rolling around in me and kicking occasionally.
    I have educated quite afew women on hCG levls so they will be better informed than what I was.
    I still worry but I think thats normal- DP bought me a foetal heart monitor for Chrissy which has come in handy!

Cheers !

Hi Delphmoon

what great news :-) I was thinking about you and hoping all was good! I hope you're feeling well.. it took me to 16 weeks to feel bubs move (and for the sickness to go!) so it's great you're feeling little one already.. I think I really calmed down and worried less after 16 weeks so I'm sure it'll all get less scary, and at least you have the monitor.

wishing you a healthy happy pregnancy

Default unsure!!

hi,

just wondering if its normal to get streaks of blood before my period due. i suspect im pregnant as i had a positive test 5 days ago but then when did it 2 days after it was a anegative test result. im due for my periods but still hasnt come. been getting alot of symptoms. going to the doctors to get bloodtest. just wondering if anyone can help me with things they experienced as get cramping and other things i dont normally get when periods are due basically they just come.

any help be appreciated.

Smile symptoms

ive just hit the 7.5 week mark and am concerned at my lack of symptoms. everyones saying how tired i must be and how often have i been throwing up and the answer is none of the above. the only symptom i have is sore boobs and bad skin. my mum said she also had really sore boobs but she felt tired all the time. i was lucky enough to see the heartbeat last week so as far as i know im still pregnant but its still a little unnerving when you hear all these stories from other mums to be on what they're going/went through and ive got nothing!!probably just being paranoid

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast