Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

Default Clear head now

Thank you everyone!

I too have eczema and had never entertained the thought that it could have been from peanuts when mum was having me. I always put it down to growing up in a home taht was too clean - i am now allergic to dust mites.

i think i'll steer clear of the peanuts - i think the risks outway missing nuts for 40 weeks.

Thanks for sharing!!! - My head is now clearer.

Koby

Could i just confirm, it is only peanuts that appear to be the problem. I eat a little snack bag of cashews and almonds (sultanas and banana chips) each day. Would that be ok? My DH has an allergy to avocados and seafood so am conscious of allergies being passed on.

I believe so

Default Peanuts?...And no, I'm not talking about size of baby

Hi
    I've had conflicting reports about eating peanuts in pregnancy. Some have told me that if I eat peanuts then my baby will have a higher risk of allergy to peanuts. Others have said that if that was the case there would be a lot more foods that we shouldn't eat. In an article on this website, it says that we should eat nuts moderately. I'm not talking about eating a kilo of the stuff in one sitting but I do get the occasionally urge. Too much salt would probably not help but everything in moderation...right...?
    Any help please...
    Thanks in advance

Kate, I ate peanuts when I was pg with Olivia and with Charlie as I was never told not to, and they are both fine with peanuts and have no food allergies. For some reason I went off them when I was pg with Lexie.....so I never ate them when I was pg with her....

Ask your Dr, but you are right, there is conflicting info out there. Personally, for me, I think in moderation is OK.......

I have heard that eating peanuts can expose bubs within the womb to the allergens/proteins, increasing their chances of being allergic in childhood etc..
    I ate peanuts during my pg (beforeI was aware it could be a problem) and Aidyn does have a peanut allergy. (there are no food allergies in anyone in my family either).

However I have heard many opinions on both sides of the fence for this issue. So I guess the best thing is to do your research and make an informed decision.

I will definately be steering clear of them in my next pg due to Aidyn's allergy, but there are many people that have eaten peanuts in pg and their baby has been completely fine with them later in life.
    Last edited by Ambah; January 29th, 2007 at 01:17 PM.

I read recently that there is no evidence to suggest that eating peanuts during pregnancy increases (or decreases) the chance on a peanut allergy and therefore there is no reason they should be avoided. The same article stated that SOME organisations suggest not eating peanuts after 20 weeks in case they cause an allergy. Contradiction in the one article! Definately have a chat with your doc for advice.

MG

I think it's only a worry if someone in the immediate family has a nut allergy - DH has one so I can't eat nuts whilst pg or BFing (no nuts whatsoever, although I have had some brazil nuts and pine nuts when they were in meals). I tell you, the second the BFing stops I'm going to buy myself a 5kg tub of peanuts and sit and scoff. Have to eat them all in one sitting else DH will come home and smell them and that will give him an allergy attack.

I think it is one of those maybe/maybe not situations. I've always eaten peanuts....well, nuts of all different kinds really. They are so good for you and are an excellent snack.
    None of my children have an allergy to peanuts or any other foods. I might be just lucky but you never know.

Maybe do some research to put your mind at ease or perhaps contact a dietician and find out from them?

Lisa

Like Ryn said, I think it's only mainly if there's someone in your family allergic to them.
    My dad is allergic to them and my dr advised me not to eat them while pg or breastfeeding.

My DH also has a nut allergy, makes him vommit constantly and his airways get all swollen. I have never stopped eating them myself, as my doctor said it was not a worry,, and all my boys are fine,, no allergy with any of them at all.
    Isnt it a pain though when all the so called "profesionals" cant even make up their mind and agree?

I read on the internet a couple of months ago that if you have nut allergies in the family (my brother is violently allergic to almost all nuts and seeds) you should avoid nuts in pregnancy and when I asked more about it here, I was reassured that it shouldn't be a problem. I then read it again the other day in a magazine called 'Pregnancy and Birth'....so now I'm all annoyed at myself again for giving in to my peanut butter addiction and snacking on a handful of cashews from time to time. I guess we'll find out in the future what will happen with the little guy....I hope he doesn't have the same affliction as my brother, it's nearly killed him a couple of times.

Default Peanut Butter - Is it really bad?

I have had cravings for peanut butter on toast and want to know is it really that bad? How likely is it that bubs will have a peanut allergy?

~Belinda~ Guest

Yeah I am interested in that query too Tinsel! I love eating peanuts and we have some in our pantry that I help myself too every 3 or days (just a handful). I am curious to know if my Bub will come out with an allergy too? Sorry I can't answer your question though because I too am wondering! LOL.
    Last edited by ~Belinda~; August 15th, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

I ate peanuts throughout my pregnancy and even now that i am breastfeeding with no problems....

I did not know that you are not suppose to eat peanuts when you are pg!!! We have peanuts and raisens each wednesday before bbq, and yes during pg also!! She is still to small for me to test for peanut allergy, but I will remember it!!

Tinsel...I had the same craving as you...and pretty much ate peanut paste on toast every lunchtime throughout 2nd trimester.

From what I understand, you only need to be worried about a peanut allergy if there is a strong history of peanut allergies in your family history...

The jury is still out on this I believe...
    There is no history of any food allergies in DP or my family, yet Aidyn has a peanut allergy, along with a couple of other foods.
    I ate heaps of peanut butter during pg, and probably also during my early (short lived) breastfeeding as well.

What is theorised is that bubs can be exposed to the peanuts through the placenta, and in breast milk. It is these inital exposures in minute amounts that can cause the body to develop an immune system defense against it - an allergic reaction. So basically it doesn't have to be the first exposure to an allergen that will set off a reaction - the reaction will occur at later exposures, but its the earlier exposures that set up the reaction. Thus they don't recommend kids even trying peanuts until after the age of 3, as their systems may not be mature enough and more prone to developing a reaction...

I will have a search through my uni health databases and see if there are any research articles & studies on this topic...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast