Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

kirbstar23 Guest

I don't think any of us need to worry about that sort of thing in pregnancy.

I am a ceoliac (allegic to wheat, gluten and so on) I didn't even find out till i was 17yrs old.
    And the most suprising thing of all is during pregnancy i have found i can eat whatever i wish, bread, pasta, pizza. And the other thing is ia am one of 3 girls, and i'm the only one with ceoliac. And mum didn't change her diet at all cause she was pregnant. She'd always eaten healthy - growing up in a farm there are no other choices.

I don't think there is anything, anyony of us can do to avoid food allergies. Now days there are rampant in school yards, i strongly believe that it has something to do with all the processed food eated now days. How many peoples grandparents had/have these food allergies? I know mine definatly did not!

Would love to hear how many of you ladies have allegies?

Kirby

Kirby, isn't Coeliac genetic though, I didnt think it would make a difference what someone ate (for Coeliac in particular)

I'd heard the same as Monnie, that if you had a history then to avoid things like peanuts, but Ambah's experience conflicts with that. I wonder whether there have been any proper studies done into this area?

Like Ambah said, the jury is definitely still out on this one - and probably will continue to be until they find something else to confuse pregnant women with!!

I was told that it is "probably ok" unless there is a history of allergies in either family, but I took the view that if there was any doubt whatsoever then I couldn't live with myself if something went wrong. Pregnancy is only 9 months after all, so its really not that much of a sacrifice. I took the same view with alcohol - didn't have a drop while I was pregnant due to the lack of agreement by the so called experts as to whether or not it was harmful.

I've definitely made up for my lack of peanut butter now though!!

kirbstar - I definitely agree that the processesing and chemicals added to foods, and other things in our environment have certainly influenced the influx of allergies that we see in todays kids...

Rachel - I read somewhere that studies in this area might be difficult, due to it being a bit unethical I guess (to unnecessarily expose bubs to peanuts I am guessing), but when I have the time I will do some searching on the health databases I can access and see what is out there.

kirbstar23 Guest

rayray i have never been told it's genetic!

And i know peole who have the exact same reaction to wheat as a child would to peanuts. Each case is very different, and depends in severity.
    I know i my case, i can eat wheat but i would pay the price 8hrs after sitting on the loo with a bucket and yes, simultainsly!

Allegie reactions range from rashes all the way through to anaphletic (spell). So like i said each case is different!

Kirby

I'm fairly sure that coeliac can be genetic, ie - if you have it, you must keep a very close eye on your child, as there is a higher chance of them having it...

I think there is a difference between peanuts, and say wheat for example when regarding allergens transferring across. Apparently the level at which the peanut protein transfers to bubs is quite high - and I have read that it is especially high through BM.

This is interesting, I wish I knew more... I will try to find the time to research this in the next couple of days.

yep Nellbe told me that Coeliac disease (as opposed to wheat allergy) is inherited. She has it.

kirbstar23 Guest

Thats really interesting if thats a true fact! As i have no family members with coeliac - and was brought up on a wheat farm!

I would say its not 100% inherited iykwim, and people may develop coeliac - without having parents with it. Just as your child may not develop it, but would have a much higher chance due to genetics...

I ate peanut butter all through pg (I craved it) and my DS is fine, my cousin who has a family history of peanut allergy did as well and had a baby with peanut allergy but the interesting thing is- she had twins and only one of them has the allergy the other one is fine!

It seems to me that you can do everything by the book and avoid lots of things during pregnancy and breastfeeding, and like Ambah, still have a child with allergies.
    I actually did eat plenty of peanuts during my pg with Aidyn though

But I understand what you are saying... especially when the research doesn't appear to be very clear or definitive, there is no need to unnecessarily worry.
    Although in my case, yes guilt does come into it... because had I been aware that there were risks associated with eating peanuts (although they are controversial) and had I chosen to abstain, I wonder if my son would still have a peanut allergy? Its impossible to know though, so I try not to feel guilty for too long... though because I am pg, and because of my experience with Aidyn, I am avoiding peanuts during this pg...

I think you shouldn't have it because it tastes awful!!!!

I agree with Mads: use common sense and do your research rather than subscribe to every thing you hear.

I personally eat a lot of peanut butter, ate all through my pregnancy and am still eating whilst BFing. None of my children have allergies to anything (that we are aware of anyhow). I would have been more cautious if there was a family history of an allergy though.

Um, secochook: that's a rather odd comment. I don't doubt you don't like peanut butter, but whether you personally like or dislike it is not up for debate Most kids don't like their vegies, doesn't mean fairy floss is good for them! IYKWIM Peanut butter is quite nutritious and I would rather my children eat that than nutella for example.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; August 16th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.

Back in the days they ate everything and anything, and you never heard of allergies.
    Now days, we know so much and we still have so many problems. I think it just comes down to eating fresh unprocessed food. No additive and preservatives, that is what slows down the immune system weakening our bodies, so we become more susceptible to infections, allergies and diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathsheba View Post
    Um, secochook: that's a rather odd comment. I don't doubt you don't like peanut butter, but whether you personally like or dislike it is not up for debate Most kids don't like their vegies, doesn't mean fairy floss is good for them! IYKWIM Peanut butter is quite nutritious and I would rather my children eat that than nutella for example.
    Bathsheba, it is just a little bit of light humour. Yes I don't like peanut butter (I always enjoyed my vegies as a child, maybe I'm not normal), so not really weird. No need to get your back up. I'm new to these boards, a rare male who is trying to get information (My wife is in her second trimester so I feel I'm in the right area) yet trying to keep a light hearted attitude.

No need for the lecture on an obviously flipant comment. This, I thought is a forum for all.

Kind regards

Jason

My GP told me only not to eat peanuts if I'M allergic to them in which case i would die anyway! and otherwise it's fine! She very much reassured me that peanut butter wont hurt bubby.

Jason: that's great you have come looking for information for your wife. Yes you are in the right place.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; August 17th, 2007 at 05:21 PM.

Hi there,

I have just read a lot on this as I have been craving peanut butter and was also concerned.
    Apparently, and you can read much to confirm this, you only need worry if you or your hub have a peanut allergy yourself. You eating peanut butter can then trigger the allergy in the foetus.
    They suggest you should also be careful if you or hub have other allergies such as ezcsma, asthma or hayfever.
    So, hope that helps. Sorry if it spoils your craving as it did mine!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast