Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pets & Pregnancy/Pets & Babies #2

Thanks for your story Mrs P. It filled me with hope. Then i tried the foil trick.

My cat wasn't even phased in the slightest. In fact I think she thought it made everything a little bit warmer and more comfy. Then when she had had enough of it she proceeded to shred it. She does this with any paper left lying around too. Tears tiny bits off and spits them out then keeps shredding until there is only confetti left. I figure if she had no problem chewing foil then that trick just isn't going to work.

I told you she was a little rebellious attitude cat!

Hi MT!!

The net around the cot didn't work for us either ... and we have 5 cats, one of which is deaf (so loud noises aren't a deterrent!) The only way we could keep them out of the baby's room was by physically picking them up and saying "no" right into their faces before placing them outside the room. I think though, all cats have attitude (it's in their nature!) and tend to do whatever they want.

Our 2yo DS is funny - he will still only sleep with the door closed, so we have no problems with the cats in his room (which will become the new baby's room, seeing as the cats already know this room is out of bounds!) But often, we will find the cats curled up with our older two (which isn't so bad). I have found though that the cats don't want to hurt the baby, they are just curious (because you're giving attention to someone that is not them!) and especially our cats are very protective of all our kids. Even our grumpy old intolerant tom cat has miles of patience when it comes to the kids!

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you but for the constant physical removal of the cat from the room ... the stubborn little creatures eventually get the message!

Thanks MM for your reply!

I have never had a cat with this much boldness before! And I do love it about her, in fact that is why I picked her out. I wanted a cat that wouldn't be afraid of my dog. As it turned out my dog (one before the one I have now) was afraid of this little kitten! Then she got used to her and mothered her and licked her constantly. It was a very sad day when I lost my dog and my cat lost her companion. Even now Cookie tries to get Tyson to lick her, but he just doesn't understand why this cat keeps headbutting him! He still loves her though and they have great chasing games together. And I mentioned they cuddle up on the same bed at night. It is very cute!

I don't think she will try to harm the baby, she isn't a malicious tortie, but she isn't afraid to stand her ground! And won't be afraid to cuddle up to the baby in the cot which is why I am worried.

Someone else suggested putting a screen door temporarily on the bedroom. I'm not sure about this one though, if the cat darts in before the door closes and we don't notice, then the cat is far more likely to make herself comfy in the cot with the baby while waiting to be let out. She has been locked in cupboards for hours before without getting upset. We open the cupboard to find her asleep in a frying pan or saucepan!! So being locked in her favourite room certainly won't bother her!

Oh well, I will keep trying to come up with solutions. Orange peel and citrus smells don't work either....

When our kids were babies, the cats only ever slept at the foot of the cot - it wasn't til they got a bit older that the cats started snuggling up to them. I think sometimes cats just think they have full run of the place!! (No wonder the female cat is called a "queen"!!! )

GL and I hope you find a solution to keep your "queen" out of the baby's room!

Oh MummyTummy, you sure have one cat with serious 'tude there! Love cats like that even though they're a challenge at times! I have one like that myself, but lucky he's not a snuggler. He'd get grumpy at a wriggly baby disturbing his peace, and stalk off lol!

Only other thing I can think of is a good hiss in her face as you remove her? I used to do that with my little "I own the world" fella, and he understood mummy=boss! I also did it with roads, and to this day, he has pretty good road sense. I'm assuming she's not a swipey girl (might just want to make sure you have a good hold before you try it!). You feel mean doing it, but it does seem to work.

The only other thing I've heard, my neighbour got a sensor which set off an unpleasant noise when the cats went past...? Think he bought it online somewhere.

Good luck, love to hear how you go!

As well as my 'tude cat, I've also got an older snuggly female lapcat plus a 2.5 y.o belgian shepherd (female) so we're looking forward to seeing how they all integrate with our bubba. Snuggly lapcat never goes in my nursery which is good. And I think puppy will love bubba, the only risk is too much energy (and sloppy tongue!), but temperamentally I think she'll be fine as she's never been jealous at all. So saying, I haven't set up my nursery yet, so will be interesting to see if I have to try any of your tactics!

Thanks Belfie. She does have the 'tude down pat, but like I said that is why I picked her. i wanted a cat with a bit of spunk!

I will try the hiss thing, although I tried the blowing in the face trick when she was younger and that didn't stop her so she is quite likely to just look at me like I'm an idiot and then be even more stubborn and keep going back!! I will work on it though!

She isn't really a swipey girl, not in a mean way. Every now and again I get a swipe on the ankles as a I walk past (so does the poor dog, so he rarely walks past her!! Sometimes I wonder why I don't get greeted at the door, only to find he won't walk past the cat sitting at the top of the stairs! ) I doubt she would swipe if I hissed at her. Only time will tell!

Wish me luck!!

megaminz Guest

Hi all

We have 5 animals, 3 inside cats and two dogs. The dogs and two of the cats have always been my babies and can't leave me alone at the best of times. But our fat cat is definitely DHs cat. She barely pays me attention unless i have food in my hand. Well she has been mummies girl lately. Always on my lap, lying on me not him in bed. I am sure she knows.

It is lovely hearing about peoples pets that 'know'. I don't reckon mine do, or if they do they are ignoring it!! My dog would be more in tune than my cat. She's just too independant. And she still won't stay out of the baby's room. Although she has ditched the cot in favour of the changetable now!!!

I think my cats know One of them has had babies herself a few years ago so sometimes it feels like she's looking at me and saying "Oh I know what that's like"

A few months ago I started putting the nursery together and if the animals (the two cats and dog) try to come into the room when I have the door open, I growl at them. The dog knows to stay out but sometimes the cats can't resist and try to sneak in when I'm not looking. I think we'll put a screen door on the nursery. Luke wants me to just put the cats out but I'm not keen on that at all.. they're my babies and not to mention we live near some major roads.

W e have a 7yr old Labrador & a 13yr old chuaua x corgi. I'm not too worried about the Lab but i do worry about my little guy as he's a jealous type & getting grumpier every year now.

I've noticed our Lab is becoming even more affectionate towards me lately. Yesterdsy while i was laying down he had to sleep either on me or against me. He doesn't usually do this.

I won't be changing too much totheir routines i don't think,i'll let them into the nursery for a sniff around. I don't want toban them from the room as i fear this will cause issues.

My cousin did this with her dog too,allowed him to sniff all the baby things too. Would always talk to him about the baby too. He was one of the most protective dogs i've seen when her twins came home. If they went for a sleep,he was in the room with them till they woke. If they cried he'd go find my cousin & wouldn't settle till the babies did. This is what i'm aiming for with our dogs,for them to feel relaxed around our baby.

blueiris, thats the key i think not to change their routine or life once bubs is home. If there are changes you'd like to make do them now, so they won't associate the changes with bubs.

Our dog was quite jealous, before DD was born I couldn't even give DH a hug without him jumping up or trying to wedge in between us! So everyday we would stand and cuddle until he stopped. I also let him in the nursery when ever he wanted, he wasn't banned from it at all, even now DD is home.

He is so excellent with DD. He leaves her and her toys alone. The worst he'll do is the odd lick as he walks past her. He is still an inside dog and is walked every day, we haven't changed his life.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy

I can update you all on how my pets have coped with Bub's arrival.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts I have a Lab and a tortie cat. As predicted the dog Tyson has taken to Jett very well. When I first came home from hospital he was a bit confused as to what this thing was that cried and made funny grunting noises, but he was always curious not jealous. And very quickly he became protective of him. I didn't change his routine, I don't stop him sniffing Jett as long as I am holding him or supervising. He has now accepted him as part of the 'pack' and when he comes in at night and does his rounds he goes to DH, myself and then to Jett and gives him a lick on the back of the head to say hello. He also follows us to the changetable and sits quietly and patiently on the floor while we change Jett's nappy. But he always follows me out of the room, even if I have left Jett in his bed. When Jett cries alot he even brings him his toys because they cheer him up!! I just have to watch that he doesn't drop the heavy Kong toys on his head!! But all in all, he has just been fantastic with our new arrival.

My cat has not been put out too much by bubs arrival either. Again I haven't changed her routine, and I haven't been able to keep her out of bubs room. But if I enter the room she is in with Jett crying she gets up and stalks out. She has only taken a couple of sniffs of him, but prefers to keep her distance. We put a towel down over the central heating vent in an effort to keep Jett's room an even temp, but the cat thinks this is wonderfully warm and cosy so since then we haven't had any problems with her in the cot or on the changetable.

Blueiris - I hope you have as much joy with your dogs. Maybe your 13 yo will be like my cat and prefer to keep his distance, but as Kristin said, if you are going to change anything, change it now before bubs arrival. Good luck!

Well i've had to make one major change now for the dogs & this is for my own sanity. Our Lab has become really affectionate towards me now & all of a sudden he's gone back to needing to sleep on the bed again.

Only problem here is that since becoming pregnant i've gone from a deep sleeper to a light sleeper. For 5 night i had constant broken sleep as every time our Lab got on the bed it woke me up. The last night it was almost hourly. So i made the decision to kick them out of the bedroom & they now sleep in the spareroom. They don't like it but i'm now getting some decent sleep.

I'll see how things are when bubs is born,they might find their way back into the bedroom again. I do miss them too,they've always slept in the bedroom with us so i held off for as long as i could before kicking them out.

Blueiris, it sounds like a sensible thing to do. Especially if you end up like me co-sleeping with your baby in your bed. We never planned it, as far as we were concerned bubs was going in his cot in his room, but he hasn't yet slept a night in there. It felt very natural to put him in our bed with us and that is where he stayed. My cat used to sleep on my bed most nights but now she just sleeps in the dogs bed with him.

What a sweet thread.
    At around 5 months when my cat (long haired tortie) realised what was happening, she was quite angry, wouldn't give me any affection!!
    She's always been very independant but would still give me a few cuddles per day. Now she's back to normal, if not slightly more affectionate. Still very independant of a day but she has always been kept inside overnight (ever since she went missing for 5 whole days!!), and she sometimes sleeps on the bed with me and comes to give me some love & cuddles of an evening.
    When DP went away for 5 nights recently she was even more protective, following me around, going back and forth to bed as if to say 'please come with me, I'm ready to sleep'.
    This Sat and last we had a afternoon nap on my bed togethor which is unlike her.
    I love her so much, she's about 14 so very treasured and I really hope she copes ok when babe is here.

When I had DS3, we had this beautiful pure bred Rotti named Jack. We got Jack a couple of years before hand in January when he turned up on our doorstep as a 6 month old pup. Someone had just dumped him at the lake near our place and he walked from there, past several other houses and chose to sit on our doorstep like a Chinese dragon. At first we were concerned he may be dangerous and wouldn't let the kids out. We didn't feed him at all and hoped it would encourage him to "go home". After 2 days, my DH couldn't stand seeing the poor guy sat there looking at us longingly and starving and went out and got some food for him. After he had eaten, DH took him to the vet to check for a microchip. There was nothing at all. He turned up at an interesting time though because we were due to move only a couple of days later, and the day we moved, I left DH with the option. Take him to the pound, or bring him with us. DH turned up with the last load and a big black dog in the back seat.

Jack was there for my whole pregnancy with Harry, but we felt horribly guilty because the townhouse we were only meant to be in for 6 months didn't go away after 6 months, and Jack was still left with very little room. I pondered sending him to my sisters to live because his coat was rough and dry and it just didn't feel right, but Jack refused to leave.

Not long after, Harry was born. Jack would look at us through the window, but I kept Harry inside and warm the first few weeks of his life. I did worry how this would make Jack react to him though, and did try my level best to ensure Jack got the same amount of attention he got before. Jack first met Harry a month later when I had to hang out some washing. I took Harry out first and introduced them. Jack took a good whiff and his tail wagged, so I got DD1 to get the washing and put Harry next to me in the bouncer. Jack lay down next to the bouncer and watched Harry smiling at mum and the "goggie".

2 years later, Harry would lay down on the veranda and play with his cars, and his goggie Jack would be lay down next to him. We could talk to people over the fence without any problems, until Harry would walk down - then Jack spent the rest of the visit 'warning' them to stay away from Harry. He had given many 'warnings' to people playing with Harry, and my favourite moments would be seeing Jack laying on his (Jacks) bed, perfectly still but watching everyone walking around while Harry slept soundly next to him.

Sadly, May last year our Jack walked up to the back of the yard and died silently of a brain tumor. The kids were all heartbroken, and Harry now clings to a small rotti coloured stuffed toy we got him for Easter. For several months, if he saw DD1 with the toy he would snatch it off her proclaiming "My Jack!".

We have since gotten a new pet, a German Shepherd cross with Alaskan Malamute. She doesnt seem as bright as Jack, but then again, she is still very young too. She knows I am pregnant and has definitely been more gentle with me since she worked it out. Hopefully she will feel as protective of this baby as Jack was of Harry.

Does anyone know about getting parrots prepared for bubs arrival... the bird hates me... yes it is a strong term but this bird is a one owner person and it loves DP to bits (I think it is a girl parrot but DP says it is a boy, that is what he was told when he got him and there is no changing his mind!)

The bird has never attacked me... well it has tried to bite me when I am tending to his cage but doesn't fly to attack if that makes sense... he can fly (despite having his wings clipped in January 09 and being told they only need to be done once a year)

My main concern is the sqwaking... I know it is better to have bubs sleep somewhere with noise so that they don't get used to only sleeping when it is quiet but I think general noise and a parrot sqwaking because it has separation from DP anxiety are slightly different - so just wondering if anyone has experience with parrots and bubs

Hi there tk,

We have 2 pet parrots, mine not DH's , but they pretty much like both of us equally. We had them before DD arrived 5 years ago today, and honestly there was not a lot we could do to prepare them for her arrival. They don't mind her now LOL and of course she loves them to bits, but we have had a couple of accidental "de-tailing" incidents in the past - only happened to each parrot once though LOL

Anyway, to the squawking. Mine can be pretty loud, especially my boy parrot, and I found that it didn't bother her much as a newborn. As she got older though, it did disturb her sleep during the day. We had them in a room near hers too, so I moved them out into our living area away from her room to give her peace and quiet, and they were happier out there as well where they have plenty of company. I agree with you on the general noise versus squawking too BTW, I never kept the house totally quiet, but the squawking is loud and I found that sudden loud noises were quite disturbing to her KWIM? Anyway, I guess what I am saying is basically have your DH's parrot away from where bub is sleeping, sounds like you won't be able to silence the parrot LOL so I think that a bit of distance may be the key.

Good luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast