Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pets & Pregnancy/Pets & Babies #2

celticmoon - i also have an indoor cat. and pretty much as soon as i go through conception ( i noticed it with this pregnancy as i planned it and i remember from last time) drives me crazy by having to sleep with me at all times. everytime i move to get comfortable and kick her out of the way she comes back and lays on me. she is constantly trying to get under the blankets. and ive got the same problem with the cat sniffing.. it does scare the ell out of you in the middle of the night.

even right not my cat is sleepiung right beside me. and everytime i walk away. she is meowing at me as if to say 'come back!"

hello all, I have a burmise cat and he just loves my tummy. Yep he knows im pregnant alright. He has to sleep on my tummy soon as he gets a chance.

When I was pregnant last time he was the same until one day he just didnt want anything to do with me. I found out a week later that I miscarried at 6 weeks about the time he went off me.

hi everyone... my cats really annoying me atm.. follows me everywhere, licks EVERYTHING in sight and is just under my feet all the time! GRR.
    also he seems to be shedding fur everywhere atm.. and he has a habbit of kinda spitting on the floor and rolling in it, YUK!
    HOW can i stop him doing all this yuk stuff b4 the baby comes, i dont want spit and fur all over a floor im puttin bubs on!!?

I've 2 kittycats - one is normally very affectionate and is my little shadow, the other one is only clingy to me just before and during AF. Now that I'm pregnant, they are both clingy ALL the time especially the other one. They like to sit on my belly and purr at me and they stick their whiskers and nose in my eyes if I'm sleeping. It's like they just can't get close enough to me. Very cute that my kittycats love me but sometimes annoying!

One of my cats was like that during my pregnancy, and now he is wonderful with the baby - Pip grabs his fur and twists it quite painfully, and the cat just sits there! So I'm more than happy with my cat. He also now sleeps on the chair next to the cot - he stays out of the cot (thanks to netting) but just wants to be near the baby.

Sorry, Jess, I don't have any exceptional advice for you re: the spitting and fur- maybe try squirting the cat with a water pistol every time it does that.

As for my cat, she was extremely affectionate all through my pregnancy, but now is quite stand-offish towards the baby. She is a very curious cat, but isn't taking much interest in the baby - she prefers the baby's things! I left the baby's room door open towards the end of my pregnancy when the cot, etc was all set up. That way she would be used to them, but I would always be in the room when she was in there, so that I could tell her off when she tried to go somewhere I wouldn't allow - eg cot, pram, etc. That way she knew which places were off limits.

hi everyone,

I was interested to see everyone's experiences with pets. I've got a dog (2 years) and two cats (5 and 10 years respectively) - there's pics in my photo gallery (yup, proud furkid mummy! ).

I just read this article which I thought was really interesting:
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...-your-new-baby

I'm also interested to hear in other people's thoughts/experiences. My younger cat is an outdoor roamer, and to be honest, I don't think he'll bat an eyelid (he's got more front than the Empire State building I swear!). The older cat is a lap-girl, so maybe more likely to notice changes... but she won't jump up high... so again I'm not too worried about her. Even tho, my MIL loves to tell me horror stories about cats smothering babies!!!

My dog is only 2 years, so still a puppy-head, and she's very smoochy & pretty docile (you can do anything to her, and she's pretty cool with it), plus she has never had a jealous streak which I think is a good sign. However, I do think that she will be the main one to watch because she's very energetic and is used to getting a lot of attention. So saying, maybe the fact she has to respect the cats will stand her in good stead (the cats are SO boss of the dog lol!).

Anyway, I've got 6 months, so figure I should start thinking now!

Cheers,
    Belfie

How did people go introducing babies and pets?

I have heard you get DP to bring something baby smelling homr from the hospital and they get use to it that way and then do a little introduction.

when I got PG with Paige, Sheppy(border collie) really started keeping his distance for a fair amount of the PG,We did all of the pre-introduction things including have DH bring home things from the hospital with the smell, when we came home we put Paige on the floor and Shep gave her the once over wagging his tail he was fascinated he looked at me as if to say 'oh I understand now, is she really ours?', as time went on he stayed close to her and when she started kicking her legs reliably he got his puppy toys and placed them at her feet and would move them back in to place as she kicked them...VERY CUTE,
    once Paige could reach out and touch her Shep became a little more wary of her and keeps his distance mostly (but takes advantage of times when her hands are full to swipe her across the face with his tongue), he pretends mostly disinterest lately when she grabs him in a bear hug saying 'love you sheppy' you can almost see him rolling his eyes but if I come home without her in the car he gets most concerned and will continue to hunt for her and continues to give me daggers until we go and collect her from where ever she is.
    When Paige goes to bed at night sheppy bundles the clothes that she was wearing for the day under his chin and sleeps on them like a pillow
    I think they really will be the best of friends in time.

Thanks for sharing blizz.

Hi all,

The best piece of advice I've been given about mixing babies and pets is to not change your pets way of life once the baby comes home. So if your dog is an inside dog, let him continue to come inside - if suddenly he's locked out he'll attribute that to the arrival of the baby and might resent it.... If you want to make changes to thier lives, do it well before the baby arrives so they can get used to it.

Having said that, I'm due in 5 weeks with our first bub, and our fur baby (3yo Jack Russell) is in for a shock.

I've been trying to prepare him for the arrival of bubs by giving him boundaries, e.g. must sit on his rug inside - no couch time, not allowed to jump on our bed, not allowed on the chair in the nursery, must sit on command etc. He does all these things and is quite obedient, but my DH treats him like a baby. He carries him around, kisses him, play fights on the floor and more! I've discouraged the floor play fights because soon DH will be on the floor with a baby and I don't want the dog to think it's 'go time'.

I think he'll be fine, although MIL keeps going on about how we'll have to watch him - duh of course we will like any other dog!

I'm going to get DH to bring home baby's clothes for him to smell, then I'll just make sure the dog knows the baby is higher up the food chair than him.

Anyway, that's my say- I'll let you all know how it goes!!

Would love to hear how you go with that Kristin.

My kittycats have been superfriendly to me during my pregnancy until last night when one of them pee'd on me when I was sleeping! Didn't actually get any on me but she got all the sheets, blankets and doona and the pillow I use to prop my back up...grr had to wash all the bed linen today. She's been so weird the last week, the other day she tried to nuzzle into my head and started chewing on it!

mmm that's odd (and annoying having to wash everything!), I don't know much about cats behavior. Maybe puss is sensing that something is going to change and showing it's displeasure about it?

Hey all,
    this thread has been an interesting read !

Kristin - I can really relate to your situation of DH play fighting on the floor ! My DH also does that - Simba (our kelpie labrador cross) loves it of course, but they both get rather full-on. Simba's kelpie nature leads her to take occasional gentle nips, including (to my horror) at the face, which is a really bad habit. DH laughs and thinks it funny but I never let her anywhere near my face (interestingly she is much more gentle with me than DH).... I have been trying to encourage DH to introduce a routine where he puts on welders gloves as the signal and goes outside for rough play, and discourage the face lick/nip games !

Simba is also an inside dog but at night sleeps on her bed in the laundry (closed off from us). She scratched the first few nights when we introduced it 6 months ago, but now takes herself off to bed or when we encourage her with "bed time". Another hint we've picked up is to allow her a few "escape" areas where you never touch or disturb her - for us, it's when she's lying with her head on the step up to the dining room, or in her bed in the laundry. So if things get too much with the baby she can go off and have a break.

Hi Deni,

Ha the play fights must be a boy thing. Our dog also sometimes goes DH's face at times whilst play fighting, which DH tell him off for and he stops - think he just gets carried away, but he mostly goes for the ankles which he can still bite when DH stands up! Our dog also doesn't play rough with me.

Our dog also sleeps in the laundry and runs in there when we say 'bed time' too!

That's a great idea about having a time out zone where your dog can go and have time out, think i'll implement that!

Another issue is that our dog jumps up on visitors, even children! He's a jack russell so he's small, but can still knock a little one over. He never jumps up on us so we can only train him when people are over, I tell them to ignore him to discourage the jumping but it's not easy.... Now whenever he's around kids (not often) he's put on his lead and I do some no jumping training - we'll get there....

I'll be interested to hear how your pooch goes with the bub!

I have two pets - a labrador x border collie and a domestic shorthair tortoiseshell cat.

The dog is just a beautiful, well trained dog who loves kids and adults alike. I really feel that when bubs arrives he will welcome him in to the family and enjoy his company (especially once he learns how to throw toys for him!!) Naturally of course, he won't be left unsupervised, but I just think he has the right training and temperament to cope with a new baby.

My cat on the other hand might be a whole other story. Being a tortie she has an attitude and rebellious streak. She isn't one of the nasty types, but she doesn't let anyone bully her. It is very nice that she is independent and isn't really a sooky cat. She likes a quick cuddle and then off she goes. She loves to cuddle up to the dog though and they sleep n the same bed. The problem now is that we have changed her favourite room in the house in to the nursery. It is her favourite room because it is the only room in the house with a north facing window which lets lots of sunlight in all day and makes it lovely and cosy. Since setting the room up we keep the door closed, but of course we sometimes walk in and out and forget to close the door and sure enough she can be found in the cot. Other than physically removing her we can't seem to discourage her from that room. Loud noises don't scare her (she doesn't even run away from the vacuum cleaner!) and water squirting is highly ineffective. She just looks at us with a "What did you do that for?" look and goes back to doing what she was doing.

Someone in my bellybuddies group mentioned that putting tin foil on the mattress freaks them out and they won't go back again so I will be trying this one tonight and I have heard about the netting around the cot. I'm not sure about the netting, i can imagine my cat jumping up and shredding it to ribbons before climbing in to the cot through her newly made hole and settling down for a nap! Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I want to discourage her from that room so that if the door does get left open then it is no big deal.

MummyTummy - foil can be an effective deterrent. We got a new rug which our two indoor cats took a liking to and were sharpening their claws on. I ended up putting massive strips of foil all over it - the first time one of them stepped on it was hilarious, he jumped about a metre in the air! We did combine the foil with the spray bottle though, as well as making sure we had a scratching post nearby (that's not your issue though).

I would say try the foil and actually put it around the top of the cot, so that when the cat tries to jump it, it connects with the foil.

When we have kids I think we'll try the netting over the cot idea.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast