Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful pregnancy after Blighted Ovum?

Exclamation Successful pregnancy after Blighted Ovum?

Hi Everyone,

I just found out yesterday that we are expecting again, I had a Blighted Ovum in January this year and am scared stiff it will happen again.
    Dh is finding it hard to acknowledge that im pregnant until he see's the baby on the screen.
    Does anyone know if a blighted ovum can happen more then once? Or is it just one of those one off things that happen sometimes?

mooshie Guest

michelle

congratulations on your pregancy and try and relax, believe me i know its hard.

with my very first pregancy back in 1997 it was discovered at 11wks that i had a blighted ovum, i went onto have a d&c and then 8mths later we conceived our dd jessica.

after my m/c my ob/gyn suggested that i see him for a scan at around 6wks with my next pregancy and i remember like it was yesterday sitting on our bed at home sobbing to my dh that i didn't want to go and get a scan that day, because i didn't want to see on the screen nothing like the last time, he pulled me together and we went and there it was the sweetest thing ever a little heartbeat going strong.

i am sorry i can't really answer your question but only to offer you, of my experience and to let you know you are in my thoughts.

good luck - when are you going for a scan??

Congratulations of your pregnancy! I have only had a blighted ovum with one of my pregnancies so all I can do is offer support and hopefully you'll find some answers. My DH was a bit like yours, he was very cautious and it wasnt til I was about 16 weeks than he started to get excited.

Let us know how it goes!

Michelle
    a friend of mine had a blighted ovum and went on to have a healthy pregnancy and a baby girl 3 cycles later.

I think the probability of it happening twice must be very low!

best wishes

Congratulations!
    I had a blighted ovum in August last year. We stopped ttc and didn't try again until February, when we fell pregnant with this baby first try
    Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon, but the good news is that it's a random event that has very little chance of repeating itself.
    I'm sure this time you'll be holding a baby in your arms
    All the best..

goldilocks Guest

Shell, I often wonder the same thing myself after having a blighted ovum...it's so hard not to think that it's going to happen again.

BUT...from everything I've read, it's generally only a fluke of nature, a one-off occurence. The chances of it happening again are very slim.

Are you going to go and have an early scan? I know I definitely will be next time...I won't be waiting until 13 weeks again! Maybe you should organise one just for your own peace of mind

Everything will be just fine, sweetie

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

Yes Belle, that's exactly what i plan to do, will be asking for a scan at 7 weeks, which is only 2 1/2 weeks away, I also went to 12 weeks before i found out, i thought i was pregnant for 5 weeks longer than i had to if they only did early scans, seeing as though they seem to be so common they should do a routine 7 week scan to eliminate any unessasary heartache!!!

buburcaca Guest

I have blighted ovum twice, both in 6 weeks...later after a year, I conceived. Now I have a wonderful 5 months baby boy.

Don't worry..too much, try to relax....be calm....don't presure yourself too much, and remember lots of smile and happy...

hi Michelle

Congrats on our wonderful news

I thought long and hard before posting this reply - i have had two blighted ovum so far this year but...................and plse bare this in mind as i dont want to worry you unnecessarily ............I am alot older than yourself having just turned 40 so i am sure that this preg for you will be fine as has previously been mentioned its very rare to happen more than once.

I would suggest thought that you book yourself in for an early ultrasound just to put your mind at rest

Good luck and lots of

Hi Michelle,
    As I said in another thread it is really difficult to be pregnant after loss. :hugs:

Blighted ovum is another form of miscarriage - rather than the baby developing it stops usually very early on. Sometimes it stops almost immediately after conception sometimes a bit later and then all that is sighted on ultrasound is the sack. The placenta is sometimes still formed so therefore hcg is produced and symptoms remain. The great majority of 'blighted ovum' (this is an outdated term now it's termed 'early pregnancy failure' - not sure what is better...) are caused by chromosomal defects that are incompatible with life.

You are no more at risk with this pregnancy because you have had a previous loss. At about 6.5weeks your care provider can see a heartbeat and this will tell you that your baby is growing and developing like it should. Your age is definitely on your side. Even though blighted ovum occur in all age groups these early pregnancy losses are more common in older women. I have had two.

Try to believe Michelle that your baby is growing beautifully and you will both be okay. YOu have every reason to believe everything will be okay. Try to focus on Hayleigh's pregnancy and the wonderful outcome - imagine that happening again. I truly understand your fears - those same fears run through my mind too. I have learnt though that the fear can really paralyse us and it doesn't change a thing - it just makes life very very difficult.

If I can help you let me know.... If not big big to you...

Awww Thanks Deb, you words of wisdom and comfort always make me feel so much better, I will feel at ease when i see a little heart beating on the screen, until then i will take your advice and be positive about this little one growing inside of me.

Unhappy suspected blighted ovum

Hi Michelle and others. I am a similar age (31) and just miscarraged at 6.5 weeks. I don't know any more than that apart from my own observations and research. I suspect I have had a blighted ovum because I passed what looked like an empty sack. I'm just writing to ask if I'm likely to be right in my thinkng and to share the fact that I too have been petrified that it will happen again. I don't yet have any children and have been frustrately waiting until my life, partner, career has been ready to accommodate a child. I've been worried about putting pregnancy off but at the same time knew my circumstances weren't right. You have to have a willing partner right? We are ready now and I'm scared stiff that this won't happen for us. I know logically that I don't have any reason to blame myself or suspect that I'll have another one, but I've read so many different things. Some web sites say you more likely to miscarry if you have before and some say the chances of a second miscarriage are slim. Who is right? I know worry doesn't help but I do. Can someone make me see reason?

Also, how long should you wait before trying again? I've also heard different oppinions on the subject.

Unhappy Having trouble dealing with new pregnancy after blighted ovum

Hi Phillipa
    I recently spoke to a private ob who assured me there is no set time for ttc after a blighted ovum. I too had heard different reports ranging from no waiting time to 3 cycles before trying again.

I found out I had a blighted ovum in July 08' at 9 weeks, decided to have a d & c as emotionally i couldn't handle the waiting to miscarry. It took my body until November to recover. Have just found out am pregnant again (6 weeks today) and can't bring myself to even be happy about it. It consumes my every thought whether i will have another BO.

I know anxiety is probably normal in these situations but has anyone ever been in such a negative headspace after the disappointment of miscarriage?

Red face

Hi there. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I know this mixed feeling of happiness at being able to fall pregnant and the anxiety of possibly loosing it. I'm actually pregnant again too! Only 5 weeks though. I was similar when I found out, only a week ago, but have turned myself around. I've found some comfort in knowing that my body/nature/god/whatever, is in control, not me. Nothing I can do (apart from all the right things of course) is going to change the outcome. That might sound misserable in a way, but in another way, it is liberating. It allowed me to relax about it. II don't know if this philosophy will work for everyone, but it has for me. My appologies if my thoughts are offensive. I wouldn't want to upset any one, but just wanted to share a secret that has helped me cope with the anxiety. I do hope (and am pretty sure it will) go well for you this time. Try to let go if you can. Take care.

Phillippa.

Well congratulations on your pregnancy Phillipa
    Sending you lots of

I am in a different headspace since I wrote that message. I have already had a scan and there is a little heartbeat so I am one up on the blighted ovum!
    I have joined the thread of when the baby is due.....you should do the same - would you be late september? There will be a thread for babies due 16-30 September 2009. Good way to meet people and chat about everything you are going through.

Congratulations again Phillipa - wishing you a happy and successful pregnancy.

Bridget x

That is great news! So happy for you. I'm only 6 weeks myself but feel very positive about this one as I feel very different. Very sick and yucky which I take as a good sign. I didn't feel like this last time. Also my body has started to change as well and that didn't happen last time either. In any case, I have an appoinment in two weeks and hope that I too will see a little heart beat. Best of luck with it all.

I had a blighted ovum found in September last year at 10 weeks and had a D&C in early October as I too couldn't take the emotional stress of waiting for it to happen naturally... Found out I was pregnant again 5 & 1/2 weeks after the D&C! We only DTD once so it was a major shock!
    I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and again at 7 weeks - both showed a good string heartbeat...
    My ultrasound at 12 weeks showed an extremely healthy bub!
    I am now 15 and a 1/2 weeks and feeling bub move!

I know it's hard, especially after already suffering a loss, but try to relax and enjoy growing that little baby in your tummy. Really make the most of the time together right from the beginning - 9 mths goes awfully quickly!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast