Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Successful pregnancy after Blighted Ovum?

Default Pregnant after Blighted Ovum

I found out I had a blighted ovum in October of last year. I went in for an ultrasound (should have been 8 weeks along) and the doctor said I looked like I was 5 weeks along. I was absolutely positive about my LMP and had a sinking feeling in my stomach something was wrong. Went back for follow-up ultrasound two weeks later and nothing had progressed -- still looked like I was 5 weeks along and had already done research on the internet and knew what the doctor was going to tell me. I decided not to have a D&C just in case the doctors were wrong and my baby was hiding somewhere -- even though I knew that wasn't possible. Finally passed the tissue in November.

The doctor said to wait until after two complete menstrual cycles before trying again. It took us 6 months to get pregnant with our first child and 1 1/2 years to get pregnant the second time which was the blighted ovum. I thought -- no problem, it is going to take us a long time to get pregnant again and so we didn't even use any protection. Three months later and I have learned I am pregnant again! I was shocked and not happy as I should be. Instead, I am going crazy waiting for the ultrasound next week.

I have to constantly try to keep my mind on other things and calm myself down. I feel as though my heart is going to beat out of my chest. I am so scared that I am going to find out bad news. We have not told anybody about the pregnancy yet which has been hard because of the all day morning sickness and I see my family a lot.

I feel like this pregnancy is different just because my stomach is getting bigger already which didn't really happen much with the Blighted Ovum. I have all the normal pregnancy signs before so having them this time really doesn't help me feel any better.

Good luck to all going through the same thing I am.

Hi there MO2.5

Congratulations on your pregnancy. You sounded exactly how I felt when I found out I was pregnant again. I think those feelings are very normal - the anxiety and worry. I had an early scan with this preg at 6 weeks to see if it had a heartbeat - and even when I saw it I didn't stop worrying about things going wrong.

Only now after having the nuchal scan i have begun to let myself be happy and know that everything will be ok.

Mom hang in there - you will be fine, and soon you will see your little beans heart beating away happily.

The way you are feeling is completely natural sweetness. My Ob was unable to say for certain whether my angel was a blighted ovum or an early miscarriage, but to me either answer was equally devastating.

It took my DH and I 3-4 months to fall pregnant again and so far I have a very healthy and happy 29w2d old baby growing in my belly. Please take hope in knowing that there is a very good chance that your current pregnancy has a lovely little healthy baby growing. There's no use in me trying to tell you not to stress, because even I still stress a little every day, but just remember that stressing about the worst will not stop something from happening, therefore you should just try to focus on the positives and be as optimistic as possible. Babies are strong little fighters!!!

Just want to report that I had a Blighted Ovum in 2003 and then waited the suggested 3 months after which we conceived straight away and went on to have a very healthy baby boy with absolutely no complications So I agree with Flowerchild (wow this is an old thread!) that because you have 1 failed early preganancy or Blighted ovum that it doesn't necessarily mean a greater chance of having another.

Double post.

all the ladies have said it right! i too had a blighted ovum after 14 months trying, i had the d and c as it had not passed after 4 weeks, am now preg again after 9 months of trying and havent had a scan but feel as though things are ok as i have hypermesis! although i was quite ill with the ovum but not this bad! just take it a day at a time thats what i do! let us know how u go!

Hi 21andTTC#1

I'm in the exact same position as you - I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum in June last year and DP and I were absolutely devastated - I am so terrified of hospitals & operations so I chose to naturally miscarry! This was a complete nightmare as it took me until Sept last yr to finally get the all-clear from the hosp as I kept going bk each month to get told there was still tissue in my uterus!

Anyway I found out in Dec that I'm pregnant again & I'm so terrified of going for a scan this time in case the same thing happens again!! I'm now almost 13 weeks and have a nice bump plus I've had all the pg symptoms (except sickness) - I didn't have any symptoms with the BO which keeps me going! I went to the docs just to confirm the pregnancy when I was 10.5 wks but all he said was that everything should be ok this time - took my blood pressure which was fine, told me he'd send a referral off to the hosp & that was it! I'm still waiting for the scan appointment to come through but to be honest, I don't know how DP will manage to get me to go to the scan even when the appointment does come coz I'm so terrified of having another BO - In a weird way, part of me actually prefers waiting to see if I get bigger then I'll know all is ok rather than being scanned & our hopes & dreams being crushed during one appointment!

Sorry I've ranted on but I've honestly not been able to think of anything else for the past 13 wks - every single day I wonder & worry & pray this one will be ok - don't know how I'd cope losing this one too!!

brendina - im exactly the same! im 13 weeks on monday ( my ticker is a bit off) but dont know if i have a bump or not as im not a very small girl but not obese although i feel a bit "fuller" down there, i also want to wait to see if i get bigger so i wont be going for a scan until 19 weeks. i had slight spotting at 5 weeks and i have a pain that shoots down my left thigh quite often, like a dull ache so im still very worried, but i know it cant be ectopic as i would know by now, but im still terrified! and im soooo sick all the time i dont want it to be for nothing!

21andTTC#1

It's so comforting to hear from someone who knows exactly what I'm going through - you seem to have had much the same experience as me so far! I even had the slight spotting as well - just happened once when I was about 7.5 wks - no pain at all but I totally freaked out - I was in work at the time & called my DP in floods of tears but I calmed down eventually & since that day, I haven't had any spotting or even discharge so I'm hoping that all is ok

Please don't be worried about the pain in your thigh - I def don't think that has anything to do with the baby or an ectopic pregnancy - if it was ectopic, you would surely feel more pain in your abdomen than your thigh - you also mention that you've been very sick so I would say that is a very good sign that all is well! I haven't had much sickness at all - just the odd times feeling slightly sick

I don't know if this will help you but I find it very reassuring to compare my situation just now with my blighted ovum experience. Last yr with the BO, I had a lot of brownish discharge which quickly became bright red blood from about 8 or 9 wks onwards - I haven't had any of that this time round and I'm now (like u) heading towards 14 wks so surely these are good signs!!

Please keep in touch - I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers - I really believe we will both be cuddling our babies in Sept

Default Very Encouraging

Thank you all who have posted encouraging words. It really helps me to read others stories and to share mine. I couldn't really talk about it to any of my family because they seemed so upset, I didn't want to make it worse for them. I will have my 8 week ultrasound tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous, but feel positive it will be okay. My jeans barely fit anymore and I have to wear a little larger shirts so no one can see my bump. I will try and post what I found out but it may take awhile because of the constant nausea. Thank you again to everyone!!!!

Momof2.5

Sending u best wishes for your 8 week ultrasound - I really hope all goes well for you - I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!! Please do let us know how you get on

I know what you mean about not being able to talk to your family about it because my family just don't want to talk about it either - although they have been very supportive, nobody really understands what you're going through unless they've experienced a loss themselves

Anyway please stay positive - you have every reason to be - sending you best wishes

Default Brendina and everyone

I finally got my ultrasound and got to see my baby and the heartbeat. The heartbeat was a bit high, but they said that was probably because of me being so nervous. I am very excited, but still a little hesitant to let all the family and friends know. I will have to pretty soon because my clothes don't really fit and it is increasingly difficult to hide my bump. I am excited, but still nervous and I am very thankful to you all for your encouraging words and for sharing your stories. It really helps to know there are others with similar stories to yours. We're not alone. Thank you.

Momof2.5

Oh that is absolutely brilliant news - I'm so pleased for you!!! No wonder you are so excited that is wonderful news!!!

I'm still waiting for my first scan appointment to come through from the hospital - I reckon I'll be about to give birth by the time they get round to it ha!

I'm so glad you got such brilliant news and yes it is so comforting to be able to share stories & know that we are not alone - congratulations again

yay im glad there is some happy news!

brendina - its scary how similar our situations are! i would love to follow along with you and the other lovely ladies during this journey, whether the outcome is good or bad, im still vomiting every morning but im trying to stay positive im now nervous maybe i have a molar pregnancy as it says it can make you very sick im just stressing i think! i have gp appointment on friday to book a scan for 19 weeks im too nervous to go before then!

Default findings on

21andTTC#1 / Momof2.5 & everyone

I completely agree and would love to follow along with you all because we are all in similar situations & I'm sure you'll all agree that it's so comforting to talk with people who are going thro similar experiences & who completely understand how hard it is to be positive after miscarriage

Well I have a booking-in appointment this afternoon at 2,30 with my midwife which will really be the first time I've seen anyone in the medical profession regarding my pregnancy apart from my doctor 6 wks ago! I'm now 15 wks & 1 day and I have been told that I will not be scanned this afternoon - apparently they don't have the equipment in on a Tuesday (I didn't even ask what that was all about!!!)

In a way though, I don't want them examining me coz I'm so scared they'll crush all my deams by telling me bad news again even tho I've got a nice big bump already (everyone has commented on it & a few folk think I'm having twins!)

Will let you know how I get on but I don't think they'll be doing anything other than taking blood tests etc - I'm still so nervous even tho they're not scanning me - can you believe that!?!?

how are you all going? been very quiet in here! i got to hear the HB on doppler with GP but dont have a scan until 20 weeks, i have no bump yet but im not concerned as bubs has plenty of room as im not very short, i do have that dark line under my belly button and felt a few flutters on the left side mostly and still vomiting an my nipples are killing me and leaking so all good signs i just want to get halfway!!!! hope all is well!

Smile More good news!

I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday and got to hear the heart beat. Everything was normal. I feel much better now, but will be even better when I can start feeling the baby kick. We have told my parents and my former boss and that is about it. I will have to tell the church soon, though, because I can no longer hide my big bump!

My former boss asked me if I was having twins. I don't think I am that big, but I have definitely popped sooner than I did the first time around.

Anyway, I will keep in touch and look forward to hearing everyone else's good news as it comes in.

Hi Everyone

This is the 1st time I've had a chance to write about my experience. Well I went for my appointment on 24th March thinking I was just going for a "booking in" appointment at the local clinic with my midwife. As soon as I told her that I believed I was roughly 15 wks along and hadn't been scanned, she couldn't believe it & arranged for me to go straight to the hospital for a scan! I was sooo petrified the whole way there & was crying - luckily my DP was with me & had to practically force me into the scan room - I refused to get money for scan pics coz I thought there would be nothing there again!

Well we were absolutely delighted to be told that our baby is absolutely fine & was jumping around like mad!!! As soon as the sonographer put the doppler thing on my tummy, she announced right away that I could relax because the babys heartbeat was going strong - I actually squealed with joy - she could hardly scan me I was laughing & crying all at the same time!!! She also told us to our surprise that the baby was measuring 16 wks - couldn't believe it

I am now 18.5 wks and feel the baby moving about all the time - I am sooo delighted and so is my DP - I was convinced I was going to be told it was just another miscarriage but I am delighted & have been walking on a cloud ever since that day! I pray for good news like this for every single woman on this forum - there is nothing in the world quite like the relief and sheer joy of a viable pregnancy after miscarriage - I will never forget my experience!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast