Thread: Sleeping during 2nd trimester

Default Sleeping during 2nd trimester

I've just past the 22 weeks mark, and already, I'm finding it hard getting comfy at night. I've tried the pillows under my belly, and my in between my legs, but find in the mornings, I am achey, particularly the sides of my my body, and my hips. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to decrease the discomfort, because I am sure it is only going to get worse as I get bigger!

Thanks

Oh I hear you & im only 15 weeks!!! With DD I didnt have this prob till the 3rd Tri. The pillow under my belly or a pillow half under my back so I was sleeping half on the side & half on the back (I hope you get what I mean)really helped me... I hope someone else has some more suggestions for you.

Sammy I am right with you!
    It is uncomfortable! I have a body pillow which is as long as me and I have found this works much better then a normal pillow. I still wake some mornings sore but more good now then bad!

I also hear you.... I have a few different pillows that I keep trying - a long straight body pillow, a u shaped one and a normal one. But as i am use to sleeping on my back, I wake up sore every morning. I also paranoid if I wake up on my back! I am hoping that we get use to it, but I can't really give any advice until I find something myself. I will keep you posted

I have had to sleep with some extra pillows under my head (now 2) and a thinner one (feather) below that to raise my head and shoulders so that I can still get comfy sleeping on my side. I sometimes sleep with my body pillow as well but generally find that I wake up on my back cuddling the thing more often than not! Except for pee breaks through the night, I am sleeping better then ever.

Hope this helps!

Hi Sammy, i know how you feel. Its just so hard to get comfy. I have tried all the pillows and all the combinations. Some nights it works, sometimes it doesnt. For my aches and pains at night, i put an ice pack on my belly. Ouch and cold!! I know, but honestly makes my belly feel better and then i can at least get off to sleep. You could maybe try a pillow on the side you lie on supporting under your belly. That works for me somtimes.
    Bring on term!!! and third trimester i say!!
    Mel

Smile

Hi Sammy,

I know exacly how you feel, I'm 26weeks and about am knth ago my hip pain was so bad it was waking me up through the night, I tried all kind of pilliow and positions but the only way I had no pain was to sleep on my back, (which everyone kept warning me against).
    I spoke to my Obst, and she said sleeping on your back is fine, so long as you just raise your head and shoulders slightly above the rest of your back.
    Now I just use my regular pillow, plus a "V" pilliow to prop me up, and I'm sleeping beautifully now and no sore hip!

Good luck with it all.

Jo

vidots Guest

I used a body pillow, and put a hot water bottle under it too, to ease the ache. I ended up with sciatia so the hot water bottle helped alot. I hope you find a position that helps you

I have a hard time sleeping of a night, have for weeks now. No matter how many/what kinds of pillows I use. I have found that if I exercise during the day (walking or some yoga or both) then I sleep heavier at least, and my body doesn't ache. But getting comfy.. forgeddaboutit...

Rachella Guest

Hi all
    I am 23 weeks now and I am finding propped up (say 3 pillow behind me, one lower down behind my shoulder blades) and one under my knees the easiest way to drop off. Only thing is rearranging in the night. Not so easy.
    This is my secondm and sleeping is def much harder 2nd time round. i am tempted to kick DH out of the bed much sooner this time round!!
    Good luck!
    xo

Definitely try a body pillow.

Hey sammy- guess what it does get worse- i couldnt believe how uncomfortable i've been this preg- started getting uncomfy at bout 20 weeks and as the weeks move on its harder and harder to sleep cos i just can get comfy enough to relax completly (being a normal tummy sleeper) i have like 6 pillows and feel like a hefer in bed next to DP- taking up most of the bed with pillows and belly...hehehehe

havent really worked out a comfy posi formyself yet but every night i try the pillows in a different place just to try something... Hope you find out how to get comfy if not i find the couch, a matress on the floor- just somewhere different helps for a night... good luck