Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 week late, no OB...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I am so glad to hear that you called about this, and that you feel comfortable now. [-o< that things will go smoothly and you won't need any intervention or induction for that matter.

Come on bubba

Rachel
    Please report him to the health commision.
    This sort of person makes my blood boil.
    Also remember, when you are in that labour ward it is still your body no matter what any jumped up idiot says. You can refuse to get on the bed.
    I think there are 2 reasons why these obs insist on the woman being on her back to give birth.
    1 Its a power thing. When on your back you are in a submisive position.
    2 He is not confident in any other position because he refuses to listen to women and there midwives.

I got my fingers crossed for you hon.

Alan (Midwife)

mysterygirl Guest

good luck rachel - i know it will all go well...

Good luck Rachel.

froofy Guest

That is utterly terrible! But one thing, he did you a favour, by showing his arrogance NOW instead of hitting you with it, whilst you were in labour. Imagine how much worse that'd be, trying to deal with him, whilst in all that pain? I just think it's great you got to see his true colours in time to make other arrangements. I would be reporting him for sure, and I wish you all the best with your birth. Good on you for not just 'taking it' and seeking out alternatives

Rachel, I'm glad you've had the midwife arrange a new OB for you.
    I was shocked when you told me about this yesterday.

I wish you all the best and hope your birth is wonderful. I can't wait to read about it in the birth stories forum

Rachel,

I am so glad the midwives have sorted it out for you. I hope that you have the kind of birth you want in the end.

Very best of luck, and I cannot wait to hear how it all went!

Labour vibes +++++

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Oh Rach, this is completely disgusting, appaling and I am so, so angry. This man needs to be reported - please write a letter with dates / names etc and send it to the Maternity Unit Manager, CC it to the Hospital CEO and Bronwyn Pike if you want to get things done - things happen quickly then. He deserves forceps and an episiotomy on himself, without any anaesthetic! I am so angry!!!

Please contact me if you want any help or support sweety. I'd be there for you in a flash, and would happily be your birth attendant to hold your own space for you at no cost.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I'm SOOO glad to hear that the midwives would be able to help you out!! As I told you on Saturday, its absolutely disgusting that someone would even suggest that birthing on the bed is the best option ](*,)

Gosh it makes me soooo sad and yet so angry to hear that this sort of practice can still go on. I hope he is reported and cant intimidate and bully another woman. All the best for a wonderfully active birth...

Jo

trachajonjon Guest

Hi Rach,

I was just so livid when I read your post and utterly amazed that someone like this can even get anywhere near pregnant women!
    It's probably not something you want to put energy into until after you
    have birthed your bub, but I wholeheartedly agree with the other ladies.....REPORT HIM.

If he did a stretch and sweep without your consent, it is surely nothing short of assault on your person? You could possibly have him charged....perhaps talk to Legal Aid. Sounds like more stress I know and with a new baby hard to contemplate going down that road, but a positive thing could come of it.....It would certainly stop him from doing the same thing to other ladies in future.

Well, I will now send you lots of good vibes for a positive birth experience......try hard to get your mind focussed back to where it was before your unfortunate encounter with this disgusting man and look forward to meeting your beautiful baby.

All the best
    Tracie

I was appalled and outraged to read your post Rachel.
    This is the type of person who most definitely should not be in the business of assisting women birth their babies.
    If you did not give consent for a strip and stretch (or sweep of membranes) it could be assault.
    I encourage you to write down what was said in a letter of complaint to this practise. A copy of this letter needs to go to the Health Rights Commission and another to the AMA. Very clearly state how his behaviour made you feel. Words such as violated and that your rights as a patient were not met. I am more than happy to assist you with this if you would like. Another option is to contact the Maternity Coalition in Victoria. They may be able to offer assistance. I can supply you with a contact if you would like. Well done for having the courage to seek out an alternative for you and your baby. I sincerely hope that you can feel safe and supported in your new birthing environment.
    It sounds like your original obstetrician made a very bad choice in who he had replacing him. Did this happen in the public system (I am in Qld and not knowledgeable about hospitals in Victoria)? If so the hospital will have a 'Charter for Patient Rights and Responsibilities' - or some such document. I don't even need to read it to know he has transgressed it!
    A very similar situation happened to me in the weeks prior to birthing my fourth baby. It was deeply deeply disturbing. I was to have my baby at a public hospital birth centre (the only one in South east Qld and the place I had birthed all of my other children). In the end the hospital paid for me to have the birth of my choice (active labour with the option of water) at a private hospital. I had more time up my sleeve. (that is another story for another time!)
    I wish I could offer you more practical support in this difficult situation.
    Remember you are about to embark on the journey of birth. Put all of this on hold (except for documenting what was said for later reference, as often it is hard to recall) and focus on birthing your baby. Gather support from your partner, friends and family.
    You are very strong and courageous.
    I look forward to hearing of your birth and beautiful baby. Later I hope to hear of the outcome of this most disgraceful fiasco at the hands of this most misguided man.
    With love and positive thoughts for you and your baby,
    Deb

I just want to add. Please release the fear and ridiculous notion that you will kill your baby if not induced. PROVIDING there are no indicators and the advice you have from your carers (apart from this tosser) is that your baby is well. Two of my four babies were born at 42 weeks. 40 weeks is an indicator, it is normal to birth 2 weeks on either side of that time.
    This obstetrician wants you on the bed so he doesn't get his tie messed up and so it is easier on him. It suits this character type to have you in a position of subservience. Forget easier on anyone but you. The World Health Organisation (WHO) have guidelines for birth - trust me on a bed in the lithotomy position is not one of them!
    Try to put out of your mind all that he has said and focus on birthing your baby in a calm, supportive and nurturing environment....Much love,
    Deb

Pietta Guest

I havent read the Birth Announcements forum but i hope theres one in there saying what a magical birth you had.

What an utter loser...

kerry Guest

Please check the announcements forum, Rachael finally has her little man. Both mum and bubs (oh and DH) are doing well and will be home in a few days.

Once home and settled I am sure the Rachael will be in to post her birth story and thank you all for the amazing support you have shown her.

I'm not sure that she had the actual birth she invisioned but I know that she could be active and that she was definately not confined to the bed and the pig of an OB (don't worry Kelly I wont name him) was nowhere near her for the experience.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

What a relief Kerry, I would be interested in his name if you could email me? Thanks
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

kerry Guest

Email sent Kelly.

Oh Rach you poor poor thing.....I'm so glad that you had your baby... Good Luck with everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12