Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation

Default Constipation

I have had quite a few pains in the last few days which I think might be constipation related. Just wondering what the safest thing to take at this stage of pregnancy would be?

Fruit, juice, lots of water, prunes, pears, porridge.
    I think that metamucil is ok if you want something more full on.

or if it gets bad, or if that stuff doesnt work, get some agarol from the chemist, i have had it bad throughout my pregnancy, tried agarol and it works great!

but yer just try what dachlostar said 1st!!

And if you end up with hemorrhoids, go to the docs sooner rather than later.

what can the doc do about about hemorroids? i'm too embarrased to mention it, so suffer along in silence. after last birth it was pretty obvious (from a mile away) and all the midwife said was smear some useless cream on. thanks for nothing. i'd like to ask for surgery, after the birth obviously, but don't know if i will find the courage or what the odds are of getting it. dont they just say "oh it'll all go back to normal after a while". god i hate this.

Ali - i used to suffer from Constipation regularly before i got PG... what i found that works for me.. and nothing else did.. was Weatbix! nothing else.. twice a day, two blocks! and no problems!!! give it a go... i swear by them! Also i found ripe plums work a treat too! Something else that used to work for me too, and for DH, eat a Mars bar and have a can of coke! i don't know why... but it DOES work! lol

xtml - how bad are they...?? when i used to get them long time ago, when i was in the shower, i used to push them back in... i know it sounds gross, but the soapy water helps... and make sure you don't strain to go to the toilet... makes them even worse... and i found that when i did this, every day, they would get better within a week or two! i never used the creams.. i found my technique worked a treat!!

Mine gets so bad it feels like period pain on somedays, so ALi, i know where you're coming from. Prune juice is sooooo expensive, but works a treat so if you find it works for you, and you can afford to indulge, go for it. I'm using metamucil (pharmacist says is a-ok), only started on it two days ago, just seemed easier / more cost effective than the juice etc. I also try to eat fruit everyday and massage in the lower back area i find really really helps.
    Good luck with the impending birth of #2.

ETA - Oh and Haroula's onto something with the weet-bix, Allbran is great, even if you just sprinkle a small handful on whatever po
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; December 18th, 2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ETA-

The chemist gave me Coloxyl 50 which worked about a day after taking some. But, reflexology...wow...I went 3 times in one day!!! It was bliss!!

kiwi fruit will keep u regular, even half a day, one of my late grandma's secrets.
    haroula- pretty bad, but not related to constipation or straining. pgcy makes me ultra-regular, which in itself can bring them on it's yuck but there's no pain.

Well it seems as though metamucil and increased fruit has done the trick.

As for hemarroids I had them after I had Tori and they were the most painful thing ever, felt like I was pooing glass (sorry TMI) I was too embarrased to tell the Dr. and just got some cream them, but this time if I get them I will make sure I get onto them straight away and get something from the Dr so they clear up quickly.

ali, haroula, this is almost the first time i've heard anyone talk about it. sure they say in all the literature increase yr fibre etc but the focus is preventative and not too helpful when its happened. after pushing a baby out lots of people get em really bad, my freind said she felt like she was inside out, and had no help. i had all kinds of problems last time, and as bad as it was, it wasn't the worst thing, so i sought help on the more distressing stuff. i like your advice haroula, so have begun taking a jug of warm water into the toilet (which is the normal Indonesian method of cleaning yourself after the toilet anyway) and already feeling cleaner and happier. thanks for your input girls.

~Belinda~ Guest

I have had this problem in the last week and it's so annoying, I normally drink heaps of water and everything and I haven't had any problems throughout my entire pregnancy so why on earth do I get constipation now!!!

I think it can be caused my hormonal change and increased pressure at the end of your pregnancy- fun fun, all the joys involved with having a baby

psyllium husks - naturla and available at your local health food store/health food section of your supermarket.
    just sprinkle a bit on your cereal and wala!!!!

Eat All Bran - I was constipated in early pregnancy, now I eat it every morning and I've never looked back - pain free and like clockwork!

*ducky* Guest

Hi Ali,
    I have found a little walk around the block helps things moving, and I'm with Kristin27 and have started my day with All-Bran for most of my third trimester (although it needs some fruit for flavour!).
    Good luck!

with the heamorroids, my doc would "pop" them. which involved slitting them and removing the clot. It sounds gross, but was done within the 15mins examination time ... and the relief!!! OMG!!! No aneasthetic required, and it feels no worse than a blister being lanced. Actually, "lancing" is how they referred to the haemorroid procedure.

Pear juice, correct posture ...

I am starting to experience heamorroids now (only have 2 weeks to go) I had them once before (not pregnancy related) and saw my GP about them and she lanced them and I have to say it killed me. I spent 2 days in bed lying on my stomach in soooo much pain and I even had a local anaethestic.

I know that after having the baby the physio offers ultrasound for them, and there are some pretty strong creams around now too. My sister in law had a procedure where they tie elastic bands around them to cut of the blood supply and them they fall off, sounds gross but if it works I will be asking for this.

Prune Juice helps a lot though, so give this a go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast