Thread: What do you wear?

Default What do you wear?

What do people wear when they go to the hospital, and what do you wear when you are in labor? obviously not pants...
    will something too long get in the way, or do you get a hospial gown, or do you wear nothing much?

There's another thread on this ill see if i can find it for you

ETA-

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/labo...ng-labour.html

But to answer your question... Whatever you are comfortable in!!!
    Honestly i was packing myself about what I'd wear and how I'd feel with the exposure, lol. But, once you are actually in labour, you'll probably find that you couldn't give a hoot about what's on and/or off.

As i was pretty self conscious and scared of being too bare, I had a longer, loose & sleeveless top, that wasn't quite a dress. It was short enough that there was room to 'breathe' everywhere, but long enough that i didn't feel too naked in front of support people. I still walked around with a towel in front of my bits though as i really felt vulnerable about my mum and grandma seeing me.

If you get and epidural, you'll end up in a hospital gown - i requested an epi towards the end but once the anaesthetist got there it was too late, and i tell you what those gowns are damn restrictive and uncomfortable - so i wouldn't suggest wearing one out of personal choice.
    If your water has broken (well either way really), there's no saying you can't wear underwear and pants with a pad on, and just rip them off for internals (every four hours is apparently routine) or when you're ready to push.
    Or if you're comfortable and it suits you, do it naked hun!

Best of luck
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; April 5th, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

It came up during an ABA talk about the time after birth that it is a good idea to wear something that is easily removed. Very hard to get skin on skin happening if you still have a bra, singlet and top on at the time of birth.

Enchanted Guest

I wore a hospital gown as I had nothing else to wear. As I was induced it was great when I wanted to get in the shower (I never made it ) The gown had ties along the arms so I could take my bra off without stripping off. I found the gown to be comfortable and covering

I also wore a hospital gown... I just didnt tie the bottom part up... I had to have my water broken so was reticted to the bed. Was great after just untie and slip off and into the shower,....

Think its a personal decision... Depends on what you feel comfortable in... I felt that it was easier to use a hossy gown that i could just take off and they get cleaned...

This time i will also be using a gown...

DD1 i wore a shirt and bra, took it off when Chelsea was born

DD2 i was in the shower so naked, and wen i got out they slipped a gown on and when Jasmine was born i took it off for skin to skin contact

mazzie Guest

I wore my clothes - tracky pants and a singlet until I hopped into the shower, and then I stayed nude

I wore what i had on which was a strechy skirt and a singlet top. I still had the top on after Coco arrived, but think I may have also had a hospital gown. I actually don't remember, maybe I had nothing below. I may have had the gown after she was born. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter, wear what's comfortable (pj's if at night, I did that with No.1.) and they will tell you what to do once there. xo

I went to hospital in a loose tracksuit, then changed to hospital gown pretty quickly as I was really hot. I didn't want to wear my own stuff as I didn't want anything to get messy. I think I ended up taking off the gown too towards the end... then when it was all over and I had ds on my chest my dh draped a clean hossy gown over my lower bits till I was ready to go have a shower and put my pjs on.

I wore a "nanna style" nightie with DD which was loose and comfy - only threw it out recently and found it very hard to do so. With DS I wore a maternity singlet top with a shelf bra - I have very big boobs and dont like the feel of them just "flopping" around IYKWIM? Both items were perfect for each of my births.

I wore trackies and a singlet early on, got in the shower and got nude and stayed like that! Although I did have knickers on as I was leaking fluid still quite a bit! I had a gorgeous pashmina shawl as well that I got DH to drape over my shoulders when tehre were too many people in the room and I wanted some coverage.... I was induced though and it is hard to get anything off and on your arm with a drip in As someone else said, whatever you feel comfy in, lots pf people use a big t-shirt too and I loved the nana nighties once she was born as I had a c/s!
    Good luck!

I haven't given birth yet but I am going to go to Big W or somewhere like that and buy myself a mens shirt.... I would wear DP's but they aren't quite long enough for my liking. I like the idea of being easy access down there and just unbuttoning when bubs is born.

I wore a t-shirt but took that off to shower and then ended being naked for the rest of the time. I thought I would care but I didn't at the time.

DoubleK Guest

i had just a black singlet top on, which was a very light, sheer material... i felt like i had nothing on.
    i wouldnt have been comfy in a gown, or in my birthday suit!!

I arrived at the hospital in pj shorts wearing undies (I don't feel comfy going comando tee hee) and a tshirt with no bra then when I was in my birth suit I was but naked

I started with a huge t shirt that I have had for about 100 years. I still have it. Once I had the epidural they put a hospital gown/shirt thing on me. Like a gown that ties up but short like a shirt.

Lolly

What did I wear to hospital? Both times I was induced, once was an emergancy so I was wearing quite a nice outfit as we werre supposed to be going out after my antenatal check (so didn't get there :-) the second time was planned and just wore my usual maternity wear, nothing special.

In labour - Both times I opted for the hosptal gown. first time because I had nothing else to wear and the second time I was offered to get chaged but it was a purpose built maternity gown and was really comfy. I had packed a cheap Best and Less nightie ($9) but I had become quite attched to it during the latter stages of my pregnacy when nothing esle would fit that I could bear it getting filthy. The best bit about wearing a hospital gown is after the birth they take it away and clean it!

In both my labours I ended up nude by the time things got interesting anyway so not a big deal but if your waters have broken you will most likely be leaking fluid and bleeding a little during most of the labour.

It is nice to have something comfy like a nightie to put on after birth, however I had DD at midday and felt a bit silly getting around in my nighty at 1 in the afternoon esp when people were coming up to see us