Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to wear when giving birth?

Ive been tossing up on this one too. I have looked in the shops and even the op shops for something but cant find anything. It is either too small or too grannyish or cant open up the front etc. I have decided to just wear a hosp gown cause I'm too cheap to buy anything to just chuck out and I might not even want to wear it if it is too hot.
    For those who wore hosp gowns... did you wear it with the opening at the front to do the skin thing? Did it bother you that it wasnt stretchy?

becky Guest

I actually just wore a hospital gown (highly attractive.........not)

But the last thing you are thinking about at the time is what you look like, and I found them loose and the most comfortable.

Go the big tshirt and socks. Borrow hubby's shirt and buy/wear bedsocks that you don't mind getting ruined. Same for hubby's tshirt, of course!!!

I've got a huge NY Yankees tshirt - it's going to be my "workshirt" while I'm giving birth to Ramlet.

I went nude, I spent most my time in a big bath & didn't see the point. I did buy a big nightly from Big W with buttons down the front for feeding, but it was the last thing on my mind at the time. I put it on only at the end when being taken back to my room. I don't like to feel restriceted & I knew I would end up naked as the midwife suggested is often the best. It didn't bother me the slightest, the doc had seen it all anyway & my hubby has seen me naked so no probs there.

I wore a t shirt and undies, though I did get in the shower and was naked at that point. After the shower I threw my t shirt on again but ditched the knickers. Then when she was born I ditched the tshirt for our cuddle and just strategically placed the hospy sheet
    I agree with Nelle, while I'm usually pretty particular about showing body parts, I found I just didn't care at the time.

yer thats what im worried about, dont want everyone seein my 'bits' LOL

becky Guest

Trust me Jess, I think we all think that in the beginning. But when you are half way through labour, its really the last thing you care about - they have seen it all before. LOL

LOL Jess - where d'you think the baby's going to come from?!?
    Sorry. I do completely understand your reservations. I felt exactly the same way until it all happened.

jess: i am the same as u. i am like there is no way i will go naky lol but i guess we can just find somethign to wear and then if it comes to it strip off. lol

Well I think I am going to look for a nice streachy loose T-Shirt thingy and a crop top - the hospital gowns are not that comfy (they tend to restrict movement a little). Something long to cover my bits if I need to walk around but other than that there won't be much need to cover up I guess...I will be kinda busy and I can always pull a sheet over if need be...

I wore a crop top bra thingy and a sarong ... and thick fluffy socks! The socks I got out of the way just in time when my waters were broken ... I don't think I actually cared what I wore to be honest.

i was like that i took all sorts of different things to labour and birth in but i got in the shower and it was bliss lol its where i spent most my labour i was walking in and out to have checks or a rest on the bed and i had nothing on lol i couldnt have cared less.. i am usually really embarrassed about stuff like that and even shy a little with dp sometimes but for some reason i just didnt care haha even when the dr came in who was a man to do a test i didnt care lol last thing on my mind i figure hes sure to have seen so many women same as the midwives.. in saying that though i couldnt have planned to have nothing either lol lol i took lots of big stretchy singlets

It's a very, very messy affair. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're probably better off in the hossy gown - my clothing advice? Take plenty of undies - old and new. The old ones are most probably going to come out looking the worse for wear.

I had my T shirt and trackies on. Daniel came so fast I only had time to take off the trackies, so I had my crusty polo shirt on which ended up having to be thrown out and it got covered in what my DH likes to term "juice" - I think that means not necessarily blood.

Claesmummy Guest

I was just thinking about a friend of mine. When she was explaining to her teenage son (as he was going to be present) what would be happening during the birth of his little brother
    she told him that she would probably end up naked. Shocked at this he asked "but you will be leaving your nickers on won't you?" I guess she had a bit more explaining to do.

Def naked!!! Mind you it would be weird to walk in birthing suite and strip ready to go!! ha ha I think it's a gradual thing where you just end up being sick of clothes. I stared in shorts and singlet, then put bathers on. I kept on getting in and out of the shower though so ended up naked. I did have gown on for awhile too and it was comfy. Took it off for pushing though.

Afterwards I had 2 pairs of nice PJ pants and maternity tank tops and that's what I wore the whole time - NO clothing just PJ"s! I also bought a 6 pack of black undies from target and wore them the whole time - nice and new but dark.

Shocked at this he asked "but you will be leaving your nickers on won't you?" I guess she had a bit more explaining to do.
    PMSL! Yes, I think a bit more explanation was required

hehe lol!

well i bought a nightie 2day, just pink with white spots, and its was cheap and i tried it on and its big and comfy and top bit comes down easy so i will have that for labour... at least going from room to shower haha!
    and best and less have undies for 99c ea so i bought 6 of them 2day too...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast