Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pies and Sausage Rolls

Also try HERE as someone else was asking the same thing not too long ago...

Sam33 Guest

Hi, try these nutritious homemade sausage rolls:

Mix together in a bowl -
    500g minced beef, 1 grated zucchinni, 1 grated carrot, 1 grated small onion, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs(any, I like to use basil, sage, mint etc)

Grab a sheet of prepared puff pastry and cut in half to form a rectangle. Along the long side place tablespoons of mince mixture to form the sausage shape all the way to the edge. Take the long side and roll the pastry until the meat is enclosed. I should look like a long pastry tube with meat in it. Cut into what every size rolls you want, bite size, med or large. Use a fork to ***** a couple of air holes in the top of pastry. Glaze with some beaten egg and pop into a hot oven and cook until pastry is puffed golden brown and meat is cooked. Serve with your favourite sauce.

I also used this mince meat mixture for healthy hamburgers. Just form into patties and throw onto the frypan or bbq grill. Make mini ones for birthday parties - very cute and yummy. Sam

Lee-Ann Guest

Thanks so much every one! I'll be making sausage rolls today for lunch, yummy!

Default pie recipes!

i would love to start making my own pies/ party pies but am totally clueless when it comes to recipes/pastry etc..
    can anyone suggest some great recipes including how to use pastry?
    also what sort of equipment to use, like cutters/tins for example! thanks heaps!!!

I'm so lazy - I just buy the villi's frozen pies. They're so yummy.
    When I do make my own pies I usually cheat and use frozen pastry from the supermarket. For filling I just cook up some meat and whatever veges I have in the fridge, add seasoning and thicken it with a bit of corn flour.
    You can buy pie tins at the supermarket - the bottom and sides seperate so you can take the pie out for easy cutting.

I'm lazy & buy premade pastry for my pies. I use my own pie tins & for mini pies I use muffin tins. Sorry....

Fillings I use all sorts. Mainly I make a cottage pie with mince, beef stock cubes, bay leaves, 1 carrot grated 1 zucchini grated & 1/4 cup corn. I cook it all up and add corn flour & a dash of soy sauce at the end & then pop it in the premade pastry with mashed potato on top.

For speed I use the pre-made pastry. Occasionally I just make the filling, then separately cut circles of puff pastry and cook them in the oven. I serve the filling on a plate with mash and veges and just add the pastry as a *lid*.

Hand made pastry is great when you have time - the Donna Hay cook books give some simple recipes but pastry can be temperamental (sp?) and I always have the pre-made stuff as backup.

Melinda Guest

I always use the Pampas Puff Pastry - I don't make my own.

I usually cook up my pie mixture in the slow cooker. It's simply some blade steak (say 500g) diced and seasoned with flour and salt and pepper, some beef stock and a tablespoon or so of gravox with a bit of water, a few tablespoons of tomato sauce and a tablespoon or so of worcestershire, plus any vegies you fancy.

Honesty, I am qualified as a chef, and love to think of myself as a domestic goddess, but I wouldn't stress yourself over making home-made pastry......I can, but chose not to! Espeically in warm weather, life is just too short! To make GOOD homemade pastry, IMHO, you need cold hands and a marble slab at the very least........so I say go the pre-made stuff from the supermarket!!(Puff and shortcrust, ready rolled, ready made quiche bases etc......they are very reasonable and excellant quality........)

I just made the most perfect meat pie filling the otherday ! So yummy....

500G mince meat
    Cup of frozen peas and corn
    1 Onian
    1 Grated Carrot
    1grated Zucchini
    6 Large mushrooms
    4 tablespoons of beef stock
    1 cup of water
    5 Tablespoons of tomato sauce
    Cornflour and water to thicken

1. Brown meat and remove from saucepan
    2. Cook Onian , Carrot and Zucchini for 5 mins then add meat back in .
    3. Add peas and corn cook for 2 mins
    4 . Add beef stock , water and tomato Sauce and allow to simmer until cooked
    5 . Then add corn flour and cook until thickened

I did not add salt and pepper because it was for Kaitlyn as well ..but you could.

cant help you on the pastry as I put it in Volvuents(SP) and topped with mashed potato...so good!

I make a delish chicken pie recipe....very easy and YUMMO!!!!!!

40g butter
    1sml leek - or onion, sliced thinly
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    450g chicken breast, chopped coursely
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup cream
    2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
    1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to moderately hot.
    Melt butter in large frying pan and cook leek and garlic until softened. Add chicken and cook til browned. Add blended cornflour and wine, then stock and cream. Stir until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5 mins. Allow time to cool.
    Cut each piece of pastry in half and place onto greased oven trays. Spoon a small amount of cooled chicken mixture onto one half of one piece of pastry, leaving 1cm border; brush edges with egg. Fold pastry over to enclose filling; pinch edges together to seal (i press down with a fork) Cut 2 sml slits in top of pasrty square; brush top with egg. Bake uncovered for about 15mins or until slightly browned.

Easy Quiche Filling:
    4 eggs
    1cup cream
    1 cup grated cheese - tasty (i also add a bit of parmesan)
    Diced ham or bacon pieces - a lge handful or so
    Cherry tomatoes - cut in half - about 1/2 punnet
    Chopped dill - about 1 tablespoon
    Sea salt and cracked pepper

I kind of make up the amounts of ingredients to suit my tastes - the beauty of quiche is that u can muck around with it a bit and add what u like.

U can either make one lge quiche using short crust pastry or mini quiches. I've also used voulevant (sp?) cases - but sprinkle the bottom with breadcrumbs first to absorb some of the liquid so that it doesn't leak out too much.

*bumpity bump*

subtle LOLOLOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

LOL! I hope you don't mind me changing the title... just thought I'd pop it out there in case Cass wanted to have a look...

I thought it had been changed but wasn't sure Nah I don't mind... I just meant subtle coz I figured you bumped it for cass...

Was being cute I promise

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ohhh I love this thread as I cook pumpkin pie every christmas for my family!!!..my one is :

1/4(800G) QLD Blue Pumpkin - deseeded
    Melted butter to grease
    1 Sheet Ready rolled short crust pastry
    250Mls Evaporated milk
    1/3Cup white sugar
    1/4 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3 eggs
    1tsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    Pinch of cloves

1.Preheat oven to 210c and bake pumpkin brushed in butter uncovered for 45mins
    2.remove pumpkin flesh and blend
    3.Greese 23cm pie tin place pastry in and ***** base with fork - allow to sit in fridge for 20mins
    4.reduce oven to 190c - line pastry with paper and beans or brown rice and cook for 12mins . Remove paper and beans or rice and cook for further 8-10mins - allow to cool
    5. Combine pumkin and all other ingrediants in bowl and whisk. Poor into prepared crust . Cover edge of pie with foil and bake for 25mins. Then remove foil and back for further 25-30mins or until knife comes out clean from centre of pie.

mmmm yummmmm cant wait for Christmas!

Cass

willee34 Guest

Question Creamy Chicken and Leak Pie

Hi all, I am after some information on how to cook the Famous Creamy Chicken and Leak Pie, my ex used to make it Perfectly but I can't ask her how because of (reasons) so if any one out there could help me that would be fantastic. From the Pie pastry to the last bit of leak etc.

Cheers....

I'mamumof4 Guest

Hi, this recipe was in another thread in this section. Pie recipes I think. Hope it helps you.
    I make a delish chicken pie recipe....very easy and YUMMO!!!!!!

40g butter
    1sml leek - or onion, sliced thinly
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    450g chicken breast, chopped coursely
    2 tablespoons cornflour
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup cream
    2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
    1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to moderately hot.
    Melt butter in large frying pan and cook leek and garlic until softened. Add chicken and cook til browned. Add blended cornflour and wine, then stock and cream. Stir until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5 mins. Allow time to cool.
    Cut each piece of pastry in half and place onto greased oven trays. Spoon a small amount of cooled chicken mixture onto one half of one piece of pastry, leaving 1cm border; brush edges with egg. Fold pastry over to enclose filling; pinch edges together to seal (i press down with a fork) Cut 2 sml slits in top of pasrty square; brush top with egg. Bake uncovered for about 15mins or until slightly browned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast