Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

Default MEALS FOR SHIFT WORKER ... something to reheat ?

Hi - my partner now works afternoon shift which includes dinner. Unless the fire up the BBQ at work, he doesn't eat too well come dinner time.

I'm not the best cook in the world and was wondering what sort of things I could make to freeze that could be reheated ? He does not like pasta dishes.

Ta,
    Barb.

how about stews or casseroles etc. I just buy those Maggi packs like "Lamb Casserole" or "Sausage Casserole" then all you have to do is add the meat, maybe an onion and some vegies.

When I did shift work from 3-11pm, Andrew would cook tea like normal and cover mine and leave it in the oven, for me to eat when I got home. I would just take a sandwhich to work then to get me through till then.

Love

I just get chicken tenderloins, or stir fry and cook it with a curry sauce and then send it to work with DH with some rice.
    Is there a grill there? My DH takes ham and cheese sandwiches and toasts them. xo

Pretty much anything can be frozen. Marc takes our leftovers for lunch, but if he had to work nights he'd be able to use it for dinner.

Things he will have is:

Lasagne
    Pasta Dishes
    Shepherds Pie
    Casseroles
    Chinese
    Anything with steamed rice (providing its cooked the right way or it can crystalise in the freezer)
    Roasts

Things I would stay away from are:

Too many creamy sauces as they seperate on re-heating, risotto - because of the absorbtion method it tends to make risotto crystalise and taste quite yuk...umm will have to ask marc what else have been no no's.

But one of his absolute fave dishes is, we'll buy a pack of marinated wings (esp on special) and cook them up and cook up some rice (flavoured with chicken stock, ginger, garlic, & splash of soy & 2 or 3 drops of sesame oil). You can cook up some brocolli too if you like, but he's quite happy to have it with just the rice. And you could probably get about 3-4 lunches out of a 1kg bag. Cheap and easy!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melinda Guest

I think casseroles and that kind of thing always freeze/reheat really well. I quite often freeze leftovers like casseroles, apricot chicken, sausage casserole, home-made soups etc.

Curries - they actually taste better after they've been reheated. We freeze ours in contained with cooked rice at the bottom. Sometimes you need to add a tiny bit of water before putting it in the microwave, just so the rice isn't too dry after it's reheated. And he could even microwave a few pappadums if he's really keen lol.

Default What do you have for lunch?

I don't like sandwiches, but other that have no idea what to eat for lunch. I can't stand eating the same thing everyday. I need some variety.

What do you have for lunch?

We had McDonald's for lunch as we were at the hospital so long today. We don't always have take away for lunch.

sometimes a stick of Kabana if we have it in the fridge. Most of the time sandwiches, or in winter canned soup

Love

Melinda Guest

~ Sangers (salad or just plain old vegemite LOL)
    ~ Spaghetti on Toast
    ~ Corn Thins with some butter/marg spread on them (YUM!)
    ~ Sometimes it might be something frozen out of the freezer like a couple of spinach & ricotta triangles
    ~ Leftovers
    ~ Toasted Sandwich
    ~ Soup (homemade or tin)
    ~ Something I've made for Jacob LOL like corn & bacon fritters

It depends really.......it changes all the time.

Toasted cheese & vegemite sandwich & a cup-a-soup
    Leftovers
    WW Frozen meal with peas & carrots

Fee Guest

I always have leftovers. If there are no leftovers then I have baked beans on toast.

Leftovers are good. Have you tried putting leftovers in a toasted sanga? My kids all love maccaroni and cheese, so we have that often. Lily would probably like that too.

sherieb

Tegan- i generally have a salad for lunch. It consists of:

45g can of corn
    some slices of canned beetroot, chopped (I have the fridge pack which is great and last for up to 4 weeks).
    1 tomato
    some diced cheese
    lettuce
    cucumber
    carrott
    capsicum (green or red)

And some days I will add a 45g can of four bean mix.

Then to the salad I also add a small can of tuna. I buy all different flavoured ones so I have a bit of variety.

Now that I am pregnant I only have tuna 2-3 days/wk, but when I wasn't I had it almost every day.

Usually leftovers but sometimes a salad or a sandwich. If I get takeawy its usually subway.

Bec Guest

I have sandwiches latley as I have the same prolbem as you.

I also have left overs they are great.

Today being friday and we are running out of food I had subway.

I have the latest Super food ideas and it has lunch ideas in that. A goodie in it is cornish pasties I cant wait to make them! I just need to have a spout of energy ATM.

I also think it is easier if you are at home cos you just whip something up.

My hubbie has frozen things like fish fingers, and subway and sangers.

Good luck
    Bec

vegemite rice cake sandwiches (with the thin cakes that are out now)

I make savoury muffins with cheese, carrot & cornL

1/2 cup self raising flour
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup grated cheese
    1/4 cup frozen corn
    1/2 carrot grated
    1 egg

Mix together & bake in mini muffin trays until golden

DH takes carrots & a scoop of hummous to work with him...

When Lindsay was at preschool last year I made little fruit 'compotes' in a container for him to have. I always had an esky cooler bag with an ice brick in it to keep it fresh. I will do the same now he is starting school. Great idea for a thread though, I'd love more lunchbox ideas.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast