Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Biscuits, Slices and Brownies

Default Biscuit Recipe to use with.....

... cookie cutters, I want to make bickkies with the kids, so can anyone help me please.

Thanks.

hugs xoxo

These are really easy to make & awesome fun to decorate - I made them with my neices the other day.

SUGAR COOKIES

4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or fresh lemon juice
    2 lemons, zest of

In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
    Set aside.
    Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
    Beat in eggs.
    Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
    Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest.
    Wrap dough in plastic; chill for about 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    On a floured surface, roll dough to 0.125 inch thick.
    Cut into desired shapes.
    Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.
    Bake until edges just start to brown, 8-10 minutes .
    Cool on wire racks; decorate as desired.

ETA: We only chilled the dough for like 5 minutes because the girls couldn't wait but they still worked
    Last edited by LiddlePixie; December 20th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Nigella's sugar cookie recipe is awesome! I'll find it for you if you like, but its probably very similar to LiddlePixie's.

Cai, that would be great, even to just compare. Thanks.

hugs xoxo

Nigella's Butter Cut-Out Biscuits - From how to be a domestic goddess

175g soft unsalted butter
    200g caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    400g plain flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

For the icing: 300g icing sugar sived and food colouring.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Cream butter and sugar together until pale and moving towards moussiness, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. Ina nohter bowl, combine the flour baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter and eggs and mix gently but surely. If you think the finished texture is too sticky to be rolled out, add more flour but do so sparingly as too much will make the dough tough (its not an exact science due to humidity and flour grind). Halve the dough, form into fat discs, wrap each with clingfilm and rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, place a disc of dough on it (not taking out the other half until you've finished with the first) and sprinkle a little more flour on top of that. Then roll it out to a thickness of about 1/2 cm. Cut into shapes, dipping the cutter into the flour as you go, and place the biscuits a little apart on the baking sheets.

Bake for 8-12 minutes, by which time they will be lightly golden around the edges. Cool on a rack and continue with the rest of the dough. When they're all fully cooled, you can get on with the icing. Put a couple of tablespoons of just not boiling water into a large bowl, add the seived icing sugar and mix together, adding more water as you need to form a thick paste. Colour as desired. Makes 50-60.

Now I find this icing to be slightly runny, but its fun for the kids. If you prefer you can purchase the gingerbread icing gels (that are actually icing) and use that instead as its more piping friendly I think cake mate makes it. Its an opaque gel rather than the clear coloured gels.

Thanks for that Cai, both the recipes sound delish, so I will most probably try both. Also thanks for the icing tip.

hugs xoxo

I can verify that Nigella's recipe, kindly posted by Cai, is great! I have a few tips though:
    - this dough can be very soft if you are using it in Aussie summer heat. I roll it out and put it in the fridge for a few minutes before cutting out the cookie shapes. I find its easier then to transfer the cut out shapes to the baking tray.
    - this dough is super easy to roll as it's so soft - no more sore arms for me! and it tolerates several rolling outs well.
    - I like to ice my biscuits with royal icing (eggwhite and icing sugar icing) so I will often use 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of milk in the biscuits, leaving me an eggwhite to make the icing with.
    - I also like to eat this dough raw - shame on me!

Hope you enjoy your baking! : )

Ruth

Thanks for that Ruth, can you colour the royal icing?

hugs xoxo

ive made these today for christmas but thought id share my variation!!

i made two batches one i added about 2 tbs of baileys to the mixture, it does require more dry ingredients, i added more coconut, taste fab!!

the second batch i added only 1/2cup of cocnut, then i split in two and added i crushed peppermint crisp bar to one and chopped cherryripe to the other, then rolled in coconut as normal

wow - that sounds delicious!! Esp the baileys one... yummo!

they were!! went down a treat!!!

Default Yummo Brownies

Yum!! I just made the best brownies!!
    I usually just buy the packet ones coz they're really yum but the other day I saw on the side of my tin of cocoa a recipe for brownies and today I felt like making them, luckily I had all the ingredients. They are delicious!! Not exceptionally healthy but anyway, I've already eaten 3, lol, well....they're good when they're still warm, I had to!!
    Then I was wathing Oprah and Jessica Seinfeld was on there again talking about Deceptively Delicious and showing her brownies with I think Spinach or something. I think I'm going to try that out next time. Has anyone tried it yet??

I bought Jessica Seinfeld's recipe book just before CHristmas and am just waiting for the motivation and inspiration to try out some of the recipes. All of them use purees of some sort and some really weird combinations - like spinach in brownies! Will let you all know how they turn out, but no plans to do anything too adventurous until after this baby is born.

OoOoooOoO I have been going through a brownie fest atm. My fave recipe is:

Ingredients

Makes 9 brownies
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon best-quality cocoa powder, preferably Valrhona
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
    3/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup light-brown sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cup (4 1/2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, optional
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper and butter parchment.
    In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside
    In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine butter and espresso. Place over low heat and stir until butter has melted. Add chocolate, and stir constantly until mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in both sugars until well combined.
    Add eggs and vanilla and continue stirring until well incorporated and mixture no longer appears grainy. Sift flour mixture over batter, and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using.
    Pour batter into prepared baking pan; smooth top with the back of a wooden spoon or a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 28 to 30 minutes. Be sure not to over bake. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 9 brownies.
    For some reason I suck at not burning brownies, or getting them the right doughy chocolatey goodness! But these ones are fool proof. Perfectly crunchy topping and perfectly dense without being too rich! If you want conversions let me know

I need some more cocoa LOL will have to try that recipe too

ETA: forgot to add this recipe is actually from a baker from "baked" a bakery in NYC (got it from Martha)

they sound great!
    I have only ever made the marie-clare triple chocolate brownies, so I need to try out some new ones soon.

Oooh thanks Cai!! They look super good.
    IKWYM about burning them or getting them too cooked or not cooked enough!! I think that's why these one's are good, the recipe wasn't that flash but they're cooked just right!!!!
    Trying to resist eating another one, lol.

Oh that's great! Thanks Shannon. So you really can't taste the vegies at all?? I'm definately going to try them out next time then. And next time I'm not going to put as much sugar either, I couldn't believe how much it looked like when I put it in and was thinking how bad it was, turns out they are sweet enough and I think could do with a bit less!

Oh, can you PM me the veggie one???

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast