Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Biscuits, Slices and Brownies

Recipe for Easy Coconut Ice:
    Combine 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 3 1/3 cups of icing sugar and 4 1/4 cups desiccated coconut. mix well, divide the mixture in half. Press half in the base of a small slab tin, colour the rest with a few drops of cochineal. Press the pink mixture over the white slab. Chill until firm.

This is the one i found that seemed the easiest Kim and the one i will make. Enjoy!

Do have one. Can't even remember the flavouring, but I will go and find it for you. I hope. My brain has recently turned to mush again, and I have a splitting headache!
    OKay. Found three. But not the one I was really after. It was cherry and almond I think.

Vanilla & Almond Biscotti (From Donna Hay) (this one sounds really yummy)

2 cups plain flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup blanched almonds
    3 eggs
    2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 160c (about 140 for fan forced)
    Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and almonds in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined, then use your hands to bring the mixture together into a sticky dough. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough into 2 x 18cm logs and flatten slightly. Place on a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
    Cut the logs into 5mm thin slices and return to the baking tray. Bake at 160c for 15 minutes, then turn the biscotti over and bake for a further 10 minutes or until crisp.
    Serve to dunk in hot drinks or liqueurs. Makes 40.

Choc-Almond Biscotti (from "Fresh & Tasty Biscuits and Cakes")

2 cups plain flour
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1/4 cup melted butter
    2 tblsp milk
    2 tblsp dark rum
    1 cup sugar
    200g blanched almonds
    2 eggs
    1 egg yolk

Oven temp 180c
    Sift together the flour, cocoa, and bicarb into a bowl. Mix in the butter, milk and rum. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the sugar, almonds and eggs and mix well to form a soft dough.
    Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion of the dough to make a strip 5mm thick and 4cm wide.
    Place the strips on a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper. Brush with the egg yolk and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut the strips into 1cm slices, return to the baking tray, cut side down, and bake for 10 minutes longer or until dry.
    Makes 35

Orange-Pistachio Biscotti (also from "Fresh & Tasty Biscuits and Cakes")

2 cups plain flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking pwder
    pinch salt
    2 eggs
    2 egg whites
    1 tblsp finely grated orange zest
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    1/2 cup pistachio nuts, shelled

Oven temp 180c
    Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
    Place the eggs, egg whites, orange zest and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
    Stir the egg mixture and nuts into the flour mixture and mix to make a smooth dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into a log with a diamter of 5cm. Flatten the logs slightly and place 10cm apart on a nonstick baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
    Reduce the oven temperature to 150c
    Cut the cooled logs into 1cm thick slices, place the cut sides down onto nonstick baking paper or trays and bake for 10 minutes or until biscuits are crisp.
    Biscotti needs to be dried out well. PLace them in an oven at 75c for 4 hours. Turn over after 2 hours. Cool on the trays.
    Makes 48

Good luck, I'm going to lie down now.
    Last edited by Netix; May 16th, 2008 at 06:33 PM.

Hey smiles4u!

I made ANZAC biscuits for the first time on ANZAC day and I absolutely LOVED them.. Loved them soo much that I nearly ate them in the one day I think I only had 4 left the next day!!! This is the recipe I used..

ANZAC Biscuits
    Makes 25

1 cup plain flour
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup desiccated coconut
    125g butter, chopped
    2 tablespoons golden syrup
    1 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
    2 tablespoons boiling water

1. Preheat oven to 160'C/140'C-fan forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
    2. Combine flour, oats, sugar and coconut in a large bowl
    3. Place butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occassionally for 8 to 10 mins or until butted has melted. Combine bicarb soda and boilding water in a jug. Add bicarb of soda mix. Stir to combine. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
    4. Rolled level teaspoons of mixture in to balls. Place on prepared trays. Flatten lightly with fork, allowing 4cm between each for spreading. Bake for 15 to 16 mins, swapping trays after 8 mins or until golden brown but still slightly soft. Transfer to wire rack and cool.

To get it chewy, make sure you dont over cook them!! I make that mistake with the first even biscuits I made - I had them cooking for way too long because I thought they were too soft and not cooked through. Little did I know that when it cools they will harden cause of the butter!! And I cooked both trays at once - not sure why they say to cook them one at a time.

YUMMM!! Enjoy... I wish I could make some but I am on a 6 wk diet!!

Sorry for the delay

But, I have two, so that makes it better

BANANA COOKIES

3 ripe bananas
    150g pitted dates
    200g rolled oats

Preheat oven to 175 C

Mash the bananas & chop the dates finely.
    Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl together and put to the side for approx 15mins.

Drop teaspoonfuls onto a non-stcik baking sheet & bake for 20mins.

A variation is to add 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground ginger.

CHOCOLATE & BANANA FINGERS

150g plain chocolate
    115g unsalted butter
    225g cream cheese
    150g caster sugar
    1 egg
    1 mashed banana
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    300g plain flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    50g white choc chips
    75g coarsely chopped toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 190C.
    Line a 23 x 23cm tin.

Melt the chocolate.
    Beat the butter, cream cheese, banana, sugar, egg & vanilla until soft and smooth.
    Sift the baking powder and flour & stir into the butter mixture.
    Spread the mixture into tin and level the surface.
    Bake for 15 - 20mins until firm.

Remove from the oven, drizzle melted chocolate over the top and sprinkle pecans.
    Allow to cool and set, then cut into fingers.

I have to admit, I haven't made either of them (its a new recipe book )... so fingers crossed

I got this one from one of those email recipe swaps -

125g butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups SR flour
    1 large over ripe banana

Cream butter and sugar, add mashed banana and flour. Mix. Place tspn sized balls on greased oven trays allowing room for them to spread. Bake at 180C for 10 mins. The biscuits are large, thin and crisp with a crinkly top.

Be warned...I can never stop at 1!!

I just realised that it has coconut in it so hope its ok.
    Chocolate caramel slice

Base
    3/4 cup coconut
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup SR flour
    3 crushed weetbix
    142g butter
    2tbl cocoa
    2 tbl peanut butter

Method
    Melt peanut butter and butter over low heat then add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spread onto 11" x 7" slice tray and press down well. Bake 15 minutes in mod oven.
    Spread with caramel and cook for a further 15 mins.
    Caramel
    1 tin condensed milk
    3tbl golden syrup
    57g butter 2 drops vanilla essence
    Place all ingredients over low heat and stir until melted.

I usually ice it with melted chocolate when the middle and base are cool.

Default Snickers Cookies

This one is for the girls at the Sydney meet up today I got it from a blog called Chewy Waffles.

Snickers Cookies

1 3/4 cup plain flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    1/4 cup honey
    1 Tbsp. milk
    24 miniature snickers

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter and peanut butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in honey and milk until well combined. Mold roughly 1 tablespoon of dough around candy. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, Bake 12 - 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Makes 24
    I used fun sized Snickers cut in half as I couldn't get mini ones. I also only got 16 because I think I used more dough than I was supposed to on each one. Tasted good though

Shortbread - easy to make and she can help with the kneading and rolling and then the cutting out I use the recipe on the side of the box of McKenzies rice flour and they are really yummy.

225g plain flour
    pinch salt
    115g rice flour
    115g castor sugar
    225g butter

Sift flours into a bowl and add sugar, rub in butter and knead till smooth paste forms (I usually do this first part in the food processor til I get fine crumbs, then turn it out to knead it). Turn onto floured board/surface and roll. Cut out shapes as desired. Place on cold, greased tray and cook in a slow oven for 3/4 to an hr or until pale golden brown.

As an alternative, I also like to chop up glace cherries and gently press them onto the shapes to decorate before putting in the oven, or I make traffic lights - cut the dough into a rectangle and use the red/yellow/green ones for lights.

basic biscuit dough

Ingredients
    250g butter, softened
    1/2 cup icing sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 egg, at room temperature
    2 1/2 cups plain flour
    1/2 cup cornflour
    Method
    Using an electric hand mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Add egg. Beat until well combined.
    Sift flour and cornflour over butter mixture. Mix well. Divide in half. Press each half into a disc. Wrap each disc in baking paper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 160?C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Roll each disc out between 2 sheets of baking paper to 3mm-thick.
    Using letter-shaped biscuit cutters, cut letters out of dough. Place onto trays. Roll leftover dough together and repeat. Refrigerate biscuits until firm. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

EquipmentYou'll need 12 paddle pop sticks and a tree-shaped cookie cutter.

chocolate christmas trees

Ingredients
    1 quantity Basic biscuit dough ingredients (see related recipe)
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon milk
    200g milk chocolate, melted
    100g white chocolate, melted
    Mini M&Ms, to decorate
    Method
    Follow step 1 of Basic biscuit recipe. Follow step 2, adding cocoa and milk with flour. Stir well. Complete steps 2 and 3.
    Use a 12cm-long tree-shaped biscuit cutter to cut 12 biscuits from each circle of dough. Place onto trays. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm. Bake for 15 minutes or until firm to touch. Stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
    Spread milk chocolate over flat side of each biscuit. Press 1 paddle pop stick onto 12 biscuits. Sandwich together with remaining biscuits. Refrigerate until firm.
    Spoon white chocolate into a snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner. Pipe a zigzag pattern over trees. Decorate with M&Ms. Allow to set. Store in an airtight container.

My Jam Drops:

125 gm butter
    85 gm caster sugar
    85 gm self raising flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    Whatever jam you have going, we prefer strawberry, but I'm sure rasberry would do

Mix together the butter, sugar, flour and vanilla until well formed, it may seem stiff but thats important. Roll into balls, I do...those little bouncy ball size? Then push the middle in with a clean finger (okay obvious... but you know...) put 1/2 tsp jam in each whole. Bake at around 180 for 5-10 minutes, just as long as the biscuit part looks raised and dry. Yummo!

This is the one I use.

Just did up a batch on Saturday - and got prefect results as usual. I tend to roll the dough a little thicker than recommended but I don't like my men too crunchy IYKWIM.

While some people don't like that you leave the dough to sit for a while I love it because I set the timer and tell myself. OK you have 1/2 an hour - go and do something productive like clean the bathroom or fold all the laundry.

Ingredients
    Melted butter, to grease
    125g butter, at room temperature
    100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
    125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
    1 egg, separated
    375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
    1 tbs ground ginger
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    Plain flour, to dust
    150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
    8-10 drops red liquid food colouring
    8-10 drops green liquid food colouring
    Smarties, or mini M&Ms to decorate

Method
    Preheat oven to 180?C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter to lightly grease.

Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.

Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Divide icing among 3 bowls. Cover 1 bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Add red colouring to 1 bowl and stir until combined. Add green colouring to remaining bowl and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.

Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.

Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
    Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread men to decorate. Finish with Smarties or mini M&Ms.

ETA - last week I bought in the cooking section of Coles a set of Christmas cookie cutters for $2 and there was a lady and man gingerbread persons. They were smaller that I would usually use (about 6-7cm high I guess) but they are really cute.
    Last edited by Muppity; December 1st, 2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: ETA

I googled and I think I found one! I'll put it here for reference...

Ingredients

1 packet Marie Biscuits
    1/2 cup coconut
    2 tbs cocoa
    1 tin condensed milk
    Extra coconut for rolling

Method

1. Mix all ingredients together and roll into small balls
    2. Roll balls in coconut
    3. Put into fridge and chill

How easy is that!!! Off to bake these and my gingerbread men!!

It was a bit late when I saw it, so this is the one we made...

Sand Art Cokies

* 100 g white sugar
    * 40 g rolled oats
    * 105 g candy-coated chocolate pieces
    * 110 g packed brown sugar
    * 155 g all-purpose flour
    * 2 g baking powder
    * 3 g salt
    * 15 g crisp rice cereal
    * 85 g semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. In a 1 quart or 1 liter jar, layer the ingredients in the order given. Lightly pack down the jar after each addition. Attach a card with the following instructions:
    2. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet. Empty the entire contents of the jar into a medium bowl. Add 1 large egg and 1/2 cup of margarine melted; mix well. Form dough into 1 inch balls and bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

there was a huge thread on these a while ago,

another variation that we came up with..

Ingredients

1 packet Marie Biscuits
    1/2 cup coconut
    1 tin caramel top n fill
    Extra coconut for rolling

Method

1. Mix all ingredients together and roll into small balls
    2. Roll balls in coconut
    3. Put into fridge and chill

My DH prefers this one over the original receipe..

For easter, i made them, and rolled them in 100&1000's

here is a weetbix recipe - had to use all the aldi weetbix that DS decided he didn't like

8 Sanitarium Weet-Bix, crushed
    1 cup sultanas
    1/2 cup coconut
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    395g can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles

1. Place all ingredients, except chocolate sprinkles in a large bowl. Mix well.
    2. Form mixture into 30 balls and toss in chocolate sprinkles.

I make it with dark chocolate with no added milk but that is because my kids are allergic BUT here goes:

I use 1-2 big blocks dark chocolate
    1 cup dessicated coconut
    1 bag marshmallows
    1 bag rasberries
    ** I don't use nuts because of our allergies, but I would probably use macademia if I was using them just as a yum factor, probably not too much... like 1 cup at most??**

Melt the chocolate on low temp in the microwave in a pyrex dish... I do 30 seconds and then stir, 30 seconds stir etc etc until its just melted. Then I mix in that dish the coconut first and then I would use nuts, than the others. Pour into a greased dish or a tupperware container that is lasagne dish size. Pop in the fridge for an hour! Yum....

This is how I make it.

1/2 packet of rasberry lollies chopped up
    1/2 packet of marshmellows chopped up
    Some nuts of your choice
    500g cadburies chocolate block melted
    250g crunchie cadburies chocolate (I use mint)

Line slice tray with baking paper
    put in lollies/marshmellows/nuts in the bottom
    Pour melted chocolate
    Put in fridge for 1 hour
    Take out, slice and put in container in the fridge

Kids LOVE it

I made shortbread yesterday, no riceflour needed. Tastes yum and I used christmas shapes.

Basic shortbread
    Makes
    Ingredients
    • 250g butter, softened
    • 1 cup icing sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 cups White Wings Plain Flour
    • 1/2 cup cornflour
    • Basic topping
    • 1 eggwhite, lightly beaten
    • 2 tablespoons white sugar
    Method
    1. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Using a pencil, draw a 19cm (diameter) circle in the centre of each sheet. Turn paper over.
    2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until pale. Add flour and cornflour. Stir to combine. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead gently until smooth.
    3. Divide mixture in half. Gently press each half into a round. Place 1 round onto each baking tray. Using circle marks as a guide, gently press out to form 1.5cm-thick, 19cm (diameter) rounds.
    4. Use a knife to mark each round into 8 even triangles (don't cut right through). Pinch edges to form a frill. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm. Preheat oven to 160?C.
    5. Make topping Brush each shortbread round with eggwhite. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely on trays. Use a sharp knife to cut right through markings. Serve.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast