Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trifle Recipes

Question Trifle Recipes

Does anyone have a gorgeous trifle recipe they would like to share with me. I whinged to mum that I wanted a trifle dish and she got me one for Christmas last year. As yet I still haven't used it.

Christmas is going to be at my house this year and I would love to make a trifle to go in my dish.

Never made one before but know that they aren't "that" hard to make.

Just don't know where to start really other than knowing that I need jelly, cake and custard or cream.

Please help me.

Mines easy Was my granny's recipe and its cheat friendly... will find the link...

Here ya go

And I adapated the recipe last time and made it with the thick bought custard (in the tubs), and I used fresh strawberries instead of tinned fruit and soaked them in apple & strawberry juice.

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by Rouge; November 17th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

Mine's (hmm my Nana's LOL) is a little bit different!

Sponge Jam Roll
    2x Port Wine Jelly (I use raspberry jelly)
    Bananas
    Custard (I normally use the ready made tubs of thick custard but you can make your own - I am just lazy hehe)
    Cream

1. Slice the sponge jam roll and line the bottom of the dish.
    2. Make jelly and then pour onto the jam roll and put in fridge to set.
    3. Slice bananas and cover the jelly/sponge roll mix.
    4. Pour custard over the top.

Serve with cream!! Very easy and absolutely delicious!!! Oh and you can add wine/sherry to the jelly but I always use raspberry because I'm not a fan of port wine!

I have to say I've never had trifle like you're recipe before Cailin!! Sounds good - especially the strawberries!! And now I'm craving trifle...

OoOoOoOO bananas! I'd love that! But it would have to be topped with passionfruit and white chocolate! OH NOW I WANT TRIFLE *cries*

*hugs*
    Cailin

Fraser Guest

mine is the same as Lea's except I ditch the fruit, use plain maderia cake, top the custard with whipped cream and grate chocolate over the top of the cream........ it's not traditional but it fills a hole!!!!

(In fact I ate a whole one on my own when I was pregnant with Charlie.......!!)

kel Guest

Default a trifle for trish

hi trish
    had a look for you hope you like

black forest trifle
    2 x425g cans stoneless black cherries in syrup
    600ml carton thickened cream
    1/3 cup icing sugar
    1/2 cup kirsch or other liqueur
    250g pkt sponge biscuits
    100g dark chocolate
    1-drain cherries resrving 1 cup of liquid
    2-in a bowl using electric mixer beat cream and icing sugar until soft peeks form-chill
    3-combine syrup and kirsch in a small bowl.dipenough biscuits to cover base of an 8 cup capacity glass dish into syrup mix.arrange over base.
    4-top with 1/3 cherries 1/3 cream and 1/3 chocolate.repeat with remaining bisc/cherries and choc-finishing with chocolate.chill,covered for 8 hrs or overnight
    5-remove from fridge 15 min before serving.
    i like traditional trifle but this one sounds nice if you like cherries!!!
    have a great recipe for summer berry tiramisu looks great too!!!

My mum's trifle is yummy.

Slice up the jamroll, sprinkle sherry over the cake, make the jelly and let it almost set in the fridge, mix the fruit into the jelly, then put the jelly mix on top of the cake slices. Custard - also let this nearly set in the fridge, then put it on top of the set jelly. This way you get yummy layers I personally hate the jelly soaked into the cake.

I'm the same I prefer to make the jelly & custard separately tastes way better I reckon

*hugs*
    Cailin

Oh thanks girls. They all sound yummy. Now to pick which one to use.

I think I like the ideas of the layers too. Looks nicer presentation wise although it all ends up mixed toghether when it goes down

Mum has a nice recipe too but I want to suprise her and do it off my own back. Lol, well, mine and you girls. But that's our secret

Off to buy all my stuff for Cailin's Granny's Trifle.

Hope I don't stuff it up. Oh and hoping I can find a little bootle of Sherry, not like we drink it

How did it go Trish?

Any chance of you posting your mum's recipe too? I am dying for some trifle, but can't get hold of custard over here grrrr!!!!

My trifle turned out delicious. Everyone loved it and even went back for seconds. I will definantly be making that one again.

I used Cailins grannys recipe as a base but instead of the tinned fruit I used frozen mixed berries. I put jam rolls in the bottom them put the sherry over them and let them sit for the day, then I put the berries over it followed by the custard and then jelly. Then I put another layer of jam rolls , more mixed berries and put whipped cream on top of them, I grated some white chocolate over the top of that and then topped it with fresh strawberries and grated white and milk chocolate.

I too just used the thick pouring custard, I didn't worry about getting the little tubs of it. If you have a look you will find normal custard and also thick pouring custard in the dairy section at the supermarket.

Would love to share mum's recipe but I don't have it. Will ask her for is and then share it.

Of course I have a pic with me and my trifle to share Me and my Trifle

Well done! Looks fantastic. Bet your mum was glad to see the dish used so well.

Well its that time of year again... TRIFLE time

I've just put the sherry on the sponge (and apple & strawberry juice on the kids one) and my strawberries are soaking in Chamboard & Strawberry & Apple Juice.

I'll make my Jelly tonight and my custard tomorrow. I'll assemble it tomorrow night minus the cream and add the cream xmas morning. It looks good already LOL!

My mum's trifle is a bit different but oh so yummy! It's a hit with everyone, even trifle-haters love it LOL. It's best made the day before, at least so the berries can soak into the lamingtons.

Lamington fingers
    Tin of boysenberries
    port wine jelly, made with juice from drained berries
    Thick custard (Paul's tub is best)
    300ml cream, whipped

Layer lamington fingers, berries, jelly, custard and then cream. Sprinkle with whatever you like, chocolate, nuts etc. I get these yummy maple syrup pecans that I chop up for the top of the trifle.

You can always add some liquor to the berries, sometimes I splash in some Grand Marnier or whatever.

I made this delicious trifle for Christmas this year, to take to the in laws. MIL usually makes all the Chrissie lunch, but I really wanted to do something this year, so I got the duty of trifle making. I love trifle. It occurred to me as I was waiting for the jelly to set, that I didn't have a glass bowl to assemble the trifle in. I ended up making it in my old rectangular casserole dish (which was the only glass thing I had), and I think it turned out really easy to serve, instead of making the trifle very tall and having to get through all the layers down the side of the dish into the little bowls.
    I got this recipe out of Aust Womens Weekly "New Cookbook", and it is terrific! My Mum said its the best trifle she's ever had.

Christmas Trifle
    1 jam filled swiss roll
    2/3 cup orange juice (I didn;t have any, still turned out well!)
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons sherry or brandy (I used sherry, and a bit more than 2 tblsp!)
    470g can sliced peaches
    1 packet port wine jelly crystals
    470g can pineapple pieces
    6 passionfruit (didn't have any of these either!)
    1 punnet strawberries
    2 tablespooons sherry, extra (didn't use this)
    1 1/2 cups cream

Custard: (I think this amount needs to be doubled. I ended up making about twice the amount)
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons custard
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla (forgot to put the vanilla in! Ooops)

Make jelly according to directions on packet. Refrigerate until set.
    Wash and hull strawberries, soak in extra sherry (I didn't do this bit).
    Cut swiss roll into 1cm rounds, arrange evenly over base of large bowl (or casserole dish!).
    Combine orange juice, lemon juice and sherry, mix well. Spoon over swiss roll slices.
    Arrange drained peaches on top or in centre (I laid them out pretty evenly, same with everything else for the layered effect).
    Spoon over half of the cold custard.
    Spoon chopped jelly on top of custard, then drained pineapple and passionfruit pulp over jelly.
    Spoon over remaining custard, decorate with whipped cream and strawberries. (I bought 'light' cream as it was the only stuff on the shelf at Coles, which I then found out at MIL that it doesn't whip! I knew there was a reason why I only ever buy fat things. I then went to Safeway, and they all the cream in the world!)
    Custard: Blend custard powder with a little of the milk, add remainder, mix well. Stir in sugar. Stir over low heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool. (My custard went lumpy as it cooled, but it was unnoticable once it was in the trifle).

I know its after Christmas, and past trifle day, but I think this is a wonderful dessert for the summer. Its so refreshing. Next time I make it, I think I will make it in individual glasses (I have a lot of sundae glasses, I should have just used those! I didn't think of them until just then!
    Last edited by Netix; December 27th, 2007 at 08:41 AM.

Matryoshka Guest

Default How do you make YOUR trifle?

Could you share what you put in your trifle? Just after variations. I'm wanting to make a kids one and an adult one (what liquor do you put in yours?)

TA

Mines a very basic one.

Slice up a jam roll and make a layer at the bottom of the bowl/dish. Sprinkle sweet sherry over it (I think! or is it port?? LOL - sorry.. can't remember!) then do a layer of jelly with tinned fruit mixed through it, and then a layer of custard. Serve with a dollop of cream

I like all the layers separate.. I don't like the jelly soaking into the cake or anything, so the jelly is almost set when I mix it iwht the fruit and put it on top of the cake. Then when that's set I put the custard on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast