Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trifle Recipes

i ask DH what ingredients he needs, buy them, then turn up when it's all done!

How far in advance can you make trifle? Would the day before be too much?

Tx.

Basically the same a Liz's, but no jelly here.
    Cake, layer of fruit, custard, fruit, custard, cream.. Tonight I put passionfriut pulp on the top.
    I used a sticky wine (botrytis semillion) to soak the cake - hey we're in the middle of wine region here

Matryoshka Guest

Cool thanks!

The recipe i have says Citrus liquour, but i was thinking a dessert wine might be sweeter? whats the difference between sherry and port though?

I was thinking of making it the night before - would it be mushy by the next day or is it supposed to be?

nope mines fine today.
    I think the only thing different is the taste the sherry/port produces. My recipe says citrus liqueur too, but I'm allergic to oranges...so I improvised and find it's better.
    For the kids one you could just use a juice.

A packet of sponge fingers (the italian ones, can't think of the brand, come in a yellow plastic packet) in a large bowl and then pour two packets of made-up raspberry jelly and one shot of sherry over the top. Let them soak in for a few minutes, and then mash up the sponge fingers thoroughly with a fork. Into the fridge for a good four-five hours - or overnight - to set.

Make 1.5 pints of custard (we use Bird's Custard powder here made up to double strength so it sets well) and stir it constantly until it cools. Once it is cool, pour over the top and return to fridge until custard sets.

Top with whipped cream.

Not my recipe - my mother never made trifle, and I remember my grandmothers was just jelly cubes and pieces of sponge, rather than mixed-in sponge and jelly - this comes from DW's side of the family, but I luuuurve it. One of my favourite parts of Christmas now.

Marsala or Sherry (lots)over cut up sponge. Soak in for a while. Then red Jelly (has to be red) then two fruits, then custard, then grated choccy on top.

I prefer to make it an hour or two before eating so sponge doesnt turn to slop. But then i always have the sloppy left overs for breakfast anyway

Quote Originally Posted by myson View Post
    Marsala or Sherry (lots)over cut up sponge. Soak in for a while. Then red Jelly (has to be red) then two fruits, then custard, then grated choccy on top.

I prefer to make it an hour or two before eating so sponge doesnt turn to slop. But then i always have the sloppy left overs for breakfast anyway

Oh yum, I love trifle for breakfast on Boxing Day.

Here's how I make mine..

Put sponge fingers in a bowl and some canned peaches. I make up port wine jelly using the reserved juice from peaches and water, pour over top of cake and fruit. A layer of cold thick custard over the top of set jelly then a layer of whipped cream, topped with grated peppermint crisp or Flake.

Citrus liquer is very very sweet I'm guessing their talking Limoncello? Thats absolutely Nommy in a trifle (Nigella makes one with it).

I've combined threads so you can get some more ideas, my recipe is up the top.

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    i ask DH what ingredients he needs, buy them, then turn up when it's all done!
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Niliac View Post
    Citrus liquer is very very sweet I'm guessing their talking Limoncello? Thats absolutely Nommy in a trifle (Nigella makes one with it).
    There is another Nigella one I have seen a couple of times. She makes the custard with cream (yummo), makes a berry mixture to soak the sponge in and makes some toffee (I think) to break up all over the top. I sooooo want to get the whole recipe and do it myself one day.

I'm glad I read this thread again, I just reread my post, and reminded myself to find my sundae glasses to make my trifle in this year!

Default Trifle Recipe

We have just been landed with Christmas lunch at our place for 15 + family coming. I figured a trifle would make a good dessert because I can do it before the day. I'd love anyone's recipe? I can't seem to find one I like in any of my cook books or even online.

Thanks!!

hi! this one is great for us ( well we all love it!!! i go the Non alco version too LOL) and it is soooo easy to make, i cheat and buy the pre made custard ( in the fridge near the cream)

good lkuck with christmas dinner!! lol

2x 85g port wine jelly
    1x 300g jam roll sliced
    1x 800g sliced peaches - drained but keep the juice
    2tbsp peach juice*
    750mls thick custard

1. Make the jelly accourding to instructions, refrigerate until just begining to set
    2. while setting line a 1.5L glass bowl with jam roll slices, pressing into base and drizzle with peach juice. Top with drained peach slices. When jelly is at egg white consistency, spoon over the peaches and allow to set firmly in the fridge.
    3. when set, top with custard and whippe cream!!

* for a more traditional Trifle subsitute the peach Juice for sherry or port!

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    How far in advance can you make trifle? Would the day before be too much?

Tx.
    Haha! I asked this question a year ago ....but could you make it the day before? Or is it best assembled day of? No alcohol in mine.

Thanks!

You can use Malibu on the cake, and substitute lime/pine/lemon jelly and mango/pineapple/banana etc to make a tropical kind of trifle for a bit of a change. It's not bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12