Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question about engagement rings!!!

DH saw mine is a magazine (it is still at the shop as it is crazy expensive - but we bought the matching wedding band for our wedding and the people at the shop tell us that they aren't goign to stop making that style any time soon - google Georg Jensen Centenary Ring - it is pretty special - well I think so )

But I don't suggest doing it the way we did ! I have a friend who's DH bought her a diamond and a told her that he would pay for any ring she wanted to make from it. That was really special because she got exactly the ring she wanted but he had chosen the diamond all by himself (she is really picky) and then I have another friend who's DH bought her a "training ring" (we joke that it was a bit like a training bra) which was funky plastic and very her but not what you would actually wear and then they went and chose one together.

How exciting for you - I hope that you aren't waiting on tender hooks for months now
    Last edited by Muppity; November 29th, 2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: brain explosion!

i actually proposed to dp. so the next day he went lookin at rings and they obviously seen him coming and only showed him rings that were like over 3k. he came home and was sad all arvo i asked him wat was wrong and he told me he went to get me a ring but he couldnt afford it in the near future but he really wanted me to have one. i nearly cried told him i dont want a typical engagement ring that he should of just looked at some rings and not mentioned the word engagement. we went to the shops that arvo and i got a nice band ring. it is only a dress ring but i love it i dont like rings liek solitare rings because i get them caught on everything.

My poor DH tried his hardest to do it himself but he was jsut so confused. All I wanted was a round solitare on a gold band. Didn't think that was too hard but there is a huge choice out there. One saturday morning he suggested we go shopping and I'm always up for shopping. He took me into every jewellers in town and I got to pick as many rings as I liked and then he went back and looked at all the choices I made and he got to make the final decision on which one he liked.
    He wanted to make sure that I loved the ring because I would have to wear it for the rest of my life and he didn't want to get one I hated but wore because it was my engagement ring.
    I would suggest helping him out because the ring I had always wanted, loved and adored looked absolutely awful on.
    Good luck and have a fantastic time leading up to the big question.

DH took me into a jewellers and said "show me what type you like" - i pointed out the wedder sets that i liked, and then he chose which one to actually get. funny thing is, he'd already been to the shop the day before and chosen the ring - he just wanted to make sure it was something i'd like!

he took me in to the shop again just before our first wedding anniversary and asked the girls to pull out the eternity ring he'd chosen - and it fit perfectly with the engagement/wedding ring (which surprised me seeing the shape of the rings) - and they look gorgeous together!

he's bought me about half a dozen different emerald and diamond rings since we've been together - all TOTALLY different, but all perfect for me and my taste!

i would say to give him some suggestions as to the style you like - either at the shops or through catalogues/internet - and then leave it up to him as to whether you go shopping for THE ring or whether he finds it himself...

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We had discussed before hand that i wanted to pick the ring together. (took 4 years)

So dh proposed with a pretzel for a ring!!!! and the next day we went and picked ring together!!!

LMOA feeb, a pretzel, that's so cute...

Gracie, my advice if you don't know what you like is to get shopping now LOL! It's not very romantic I know, but just go into every jeweller, try on every ring you like the look of and you'll soon get the idea. I had a very set idea of what I wanted, and when I tried it on it looked awful! Fortunately, this was before we were engaged. By the time we were engaged I knew exactly what I wanted, so it was easy to go out and buy it.

I'm all for romance, but I'm also all for wearing a ring that you like! Hun, you have to wear this ring the rest of your life, you want it to be something nice, that you anjoy looking at. I know a woman who's DH chose her ring, and she doesn't like it......but she's never told him, he still thinks she loves it, almost 20 years on! I think that's terrible, for both of them.

Enjoy, it's such an exciting time

DH designed mine and I love it - I had no say in it and wouldn't change it for anything...it's bloody gorgeous and the proposal and bling just blew me away as they were both just beautiful.

My dh and I had been shopping a few times together and walked past jewellery shops- and I'd pointed out some I'd liked- but not with the intention of him buying any of them.
    After 5 months together/ after meeting, DH suprised me and proposed- with the perfect ring that he had chosen all on his own. The size was right too- he had taken one of my rings off my finger and had placed it on his pinky for a finger size comparisson- and remembered exactly where it sat on his finger!

My friend on the other hand is in a long distance relationship and was proposed to over the phone- she went out and bought her own ring!

My husband bought mine without any help or hints at all. He knew I liked diamonds, and only wore white gold, so that was a good start. The shape has 2 special meanings for us that is why he picked it, which was wonderful.

I think it depends on you and your relationship. Perhaps test drive a few so you know what you do and don't like, then you can casually comment when you see some - either in real life, or on tv or in mags. Hints like "that's a beautiful ring", "I love solitaire diamonds", "rose gold is my favourite" etc etc can give some guidance if it is somehting he is thinking about.

I went out lookiing for my engagement ring. I think I looked for a week and was going to take DF to the places so he can chose the one he likes. But I found the most perfect one and it fit my finger, so I called DF up and he told me to buy it!! LOL I was even wearing it before I even got home. PMSL..

I had been through the trauma of looking at engagement rings with my brother when he was going to propose... it ended up she didnt like the ring (wasnt big enough) so she made my brother buy another bigger one... so me and my brother had a joke between us that the one we bought was bought with love and the other one was bought with lots of overtime...
    I didnt want to put my DF through all that trauma so I ended up putting my ring on layby when there was a sale and then giving him the receipt

Marc took his sister and went and designed an engagement ring at a jewelers (I know how sweet!) and after that we together designed the wedding and eternity ring. I love my ring set because I know no one else will have it and it means so much to me that it was something he designed himself. At first I remember thinking it was something I wouldn't have chosen (the engagement ring is inset with a tear shaped amethyst and two diamonds either side, the wedding ring is inset with a line of small diamonds, and the eternity is a small diamond with two small rubies inset) Its absolutely stunning, but I worried because I was going through an antique phase and would have loved claw set but now I am glad he got me this as it never catches and I LOVE it so much

I don't like the idea of choosing rings together, it takes away the surprise and romance. If he proposes first though and then takes you to pick out a ring, that's better as the surprise is still there,but I loved that my DH completley surprised me with both the proposal and a ring he picked out himself. He has pretty good taste though, I guess if your guy is clueless in the jewellery department.....

Before we got engaged, when a friend of ours showed us her engangement ring, I told DH later that I loved her ring but preffred a flatter setting so it wouldn't catch on my clothes (the only hint I ever gave him LOL). By the time he proposed he knew my tastes well enough to pick out the perfect ring for me (white gold with a single saphire set quite flat in the ring, with a small diamond on either side). I love it so much more having had him pick it ut, I know it's really from his heart.

I had no idea the proposal was on its way so it was a great surprise!! He chose the ring - although he did know that I wanted something with 3 diamonds across it! It definately isnt what I would choose myself but I LOVE the ring because it means so much to me that he would do something like go shopping (Shock horror - my man HATES shopping) and choose something like this, and it actually is a really gorgeous and unusual ring! 3 diamonds across with a filigree pattern the makes up the claw setting!

Thanks for the reminder that I need to resize it- havent worn it since before I was pg

we weren't going to have an engagement ring, but my SIL said to my DH on the night we got engaged (my birthday - my birthday dinner turned into an impromptu engagement dinner) that we should use my recently deceased mother's ring (which DH had got re-set because the stone was falling out), which we did.

My DH asked me when we first got together what cut of diamond I liked.... he said that way he had years of no pressure ahead of him

The only thing I told him was that I loved the princess cut!
    That was almost 7 yrs ago now -Turns out that he went to see my brother almost 4yrs ago (my brother is a jeweller) and they went and picked the diamond together.

My brother made me a ring years ago (white gold but the band was covered in clusters of timy diamonds) - and about 12 months ago it went missing after he came for a visit... I was furious that someone had stolen it (we had had a party that weekend) and couldn't let it go... DH eventually had to tell me that my brother had taken it to 'use it' for something else... He said he didn't think I'd notice it gone..???

Anyway - this year for Christmas over 30 people having dinner Christmas Eve, DH got up and announced to everyone to raise their glasses as he was giving me my Christmas present early - And he gave me my engagement ring!

My brother had made it - 1ct princess diamond with a border of tiny diamonds all the way around it, and tyhen all the way around the sides of the diamond, and all the way around the band!
    It is just stunning (and huge, which is always nice )... and now I can see where my other ring has eventuated!!!

They only just got it done in time, as we got married a week and a half later (!)... My wedding band is just a plain band at the moment - We are going to have the diamonds set all the way around it for our 1st anniversary.

Will have to post a picture of it in my gallery for you to see!

I couldn't be happier - DH knew I would love it because it was the cut that I liked... and my brothers taste is exquisite - And the fact that they designed it together and my brother made it makes it especially perfect!

Maybe give him a hint with the cut that you like, and then trust him from there?
    And maybe give him an idea on size as well - That wasn't an issue with me (I'm with Lulu - BIG! ).. and my brother wouldn't have had it any other way - anything he makes has to be impressive

Awww Holly thats so sweet and your ring sounds AMAZING!!! I think you should take a pic and post it in the gallery for us to squiz at!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast