Thread: Question about mens rings

Default Question about mens rings

If a woman was to propose to a man then I can understand the man getting a ring....

If A man proposes to a woman should she or would you buy him an engagement ring??

If you are a guy, would you have liked an engagement ring (or do you have one)??

If the answer is yes then what happens to the ring when you get married?? Is it worn on the same finger, different finger or removed all together??

Thanks

great topic smudgie!

I'd be tempted to get a Claddagh ring for him, and have it facing out, and turn it around for the wedding itself. I was going to get my then-DF one for that reason, never got around to it ...

My DH wont even wear his wedding ring, he hates jewlery

My H would have hated an engagement ring. He only wears a wedding ring cause I told him there was no choice

In my circumstance my DP has been wearing a ring on his middle finger (until he lost the ring) so I bought him an engagement ring - I want people to know he is taken

I started to have second thoughts about it..... well not really second thoughts, but started to ask the above questions in my head. I wasn't going to get any answers that way though

Ben01 Guest

argh!.. "engagement"

hate the word. As a guy i wouldnt want a ring for engagement. Wedding ring will do me fine. i personally think the engagement ring for females is ridiculous as well, but in sticking to tradition i will definitely get one for DP when the time comes.
    Dont wish to offend anyone, but the whole idea of calling dp my fiancee is a bit of a turn off. People use it to glamourise their relationships and i think its sad.
    I dont see "fiance" as a title- like boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife.
    Reason being, you ask so many engaged people when is the wedding "oh we havent set a date yet" or "in two or three years" .. whats the point?..
    Ive known so many 18, 19, 20 year olds who get "engaged". 6 months down the track the relationship is over.
    My personal belief is people should get engaged when they are ready to be married, no long/indefinite waits. Being engaged is not a committment, its just an excuse to make your relationship sound more exclusive than it really is.

For me - the engagement is goingt o be long and I understand where you are coming from Ben but we don't have a choice unless we have a cheap backyard wedding which neither of us want!! (although for some people they would like that we don't want one like that).

The symbolism of the ring for me is the same as that of the wedding ring and less about being a 'fiance' - the ring sits on the finger for which the vein runs to your heart. It is a symbol of eternal love - because a ring is round it never ends.

I also don't believe in needing a ring that cost thougsands of dollars (funny enough i was discussing this earlier with my best friend and was disgusted to find his gf wanted a ring no less then $10K). I don't like solitaire rings either which makes for a cheaper ring - It is what the ring says more then the price or the label 'fiance'

And if you want to add in - I want people to know I am not here for the taking any more and neither is he then yeah maybe that does have a little bit to do with it too.

But I havent taken any offence - everyone is entitled to their opinion and thats exactly what I wanted to hear - opinions.

Im not feeling too confident now about the ring I bought though - from the other posts

If you're going to have a long engagement then the rings could be nice to have now... maybe you could just get them engraved or something special like that for the wedding

Are you proposing today? Good luck!

No no..... I'm not proposing (I just bought a ring today)

Long Story short - I found out that my DP was going to propose on our anniversary. Not from a friend - but from his own mouth..... thats what made me have the original questions about the ring.

But thanks for the luck

Quote Originally Posted by smudgies_mum View Post
    I also don't believe in needing a ring that cost thougsands of dollars
    We paid $260 for my engagement ring off ebay (coz it was the exact style I wanted, & I couldnt have cared less if it was silver & glass)as a "new" ring, we then got it independantly valued & resized as it was slightly too big for $60.
    When the valuation came back it was valued at a little over $1500 (I was expecting it to be a fake)

I think when it comes to a man having an engagement ring you really need to ask him. I really wanted to get DF one as well even though he proposed to me but, he didnt want one because he doesnt wear jewellry. The only thing he wears is his grandfathers wedding ring, which is on his right ring finger & when we get married it will be moved to his left.

It's leap year today- today's the traditional day fro girls to propose... do it today!!!!

DH proposed to me when he was visiting me in Texas. He gave me a simple ring with a sapphire because I won't wear diamonds. I was still living there for uni then, but we knew we were better together than apart. He stayed for three months and before he left I bought him a ring, it was black titanium and white gold, pretty sharp. I proposed and everything, right in the airport before he left. I know that sounds a little silly, and even though we were already engaged it was HARD to do.

Anyway, now neither of us wears our engagement rings, mainly because they're a symbol of us having to be apart. I like the simplicity of my little gold wedding band.

DH gave me an engagement ring, and i got him a 6 stacker CD player for his car at the time lol. He seemed pretty happy with it
    He has a wedding ring which he hardly wears, as it's a safety issue at work, so he usually only pops it on when he is on holidays or we go somewhere special (which is hardly ever)

Nic

There would have been no way I could have gotten my DH to wear an engagement ring......he hardly wears his wedding ring (due to work)

I've actually never met a man who has an engagement ring. In some cultures it's traditional for the man to get a ring too.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DH didnt want an engagment ring so i bought him the boxed set of Astro boy as he wanted that!!!

I bought my DH an engagement ring, he wears it on the ring finger of his right hand. He actually got in trouble at work cause their only allowed to wear wedding rings but he refused to take it off.

Default Guy who wears rings

Thought this was an interesting subject as a guy who wears rings. Actually started wearing them in high school and got a few compliments from the ladies. That was all it took and to this day I am a guy who wears rings.
    Last edited by upandover; June 9th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Scott wore an engagement ring It was a cheap stainless steel one, but it held up really well over those two years It's in a ringbox next to the bed now, along with my original engagement ring

Sent from my iPhone so forgive the speelung misstacks