thread: Applying for a job with a holiday booked

Nov 2007
    Earth

Applying for a job with a holiday booked

I've been telling interviewers that I have a holiday booked for the last week in October - is this something you would put in a cover letter? I'm just thinking that if that's going to stop me getting a job at the moment, they'd prefer to find out before they interview me. Or should I lure them in with my awesome good looks before I spring it on them?

Oct 2010
    Hunter Valley, NSW

I'd let them know in the interview. I've done that with 2 interviews. If your the right person it won't matter. As long as you tell then before they offer it to you.

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

Lure them in first then tell them once you are offered the job. I have been in the position to hire people about to go on holidays and have always sorted something out but knowing beforehand may change some people's mind when hiring.

Jan 2006

Tell them in the interview. The last interview asked me if I had any holiday booked that was coming up, so they must be used to people applying for jobs and going on holiday the following month.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Yep what everyone else said!

Feb 2010
    on a big patch of paradise.

yep tell them at the interview. That way if you still get the job then they must have really wanted you. I got a job even after telling them I had two holidays planned. They told me I was the best candidate so they were happy to accomodate.

Add Starfish on Facebook

Apr 2007
    Sydney

What everyone else said.

Don't put it in the cover letter, but say it in the interview.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add sushee on Facebook

Sep 2004
    Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I bring it up in the interview only if asked. With my current job, I took the job when I was offered it, then mentioned that I needed time off in 2 months for a holiday that was already planned. They didn't even bat an eyelid, just said, sure, put in the form one the first day you start.

And because I work in a consultancy, when I started at a client site, I told the client that 3 weeks after starting, I was taking time off for a holiday that was pre-booked. Again, they took that in their stride.

And I've hired people who then tell me about pre-booked holidays. I am completely ok with that because you don't stop planning your life just coz you're looking for work.

Because your holiday is 6 weeks away I'd only mention it if you were offered the job, or you're asked at the interview.

Dec 2007

Applying for a job with a holiday booked

I would only say in interview if asked. I would tell them before I accepted offer if it isn't mentioned in interview..

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

I've had this hapen to me, and I let them know when they rang to give me the job and ask about when I can start. But had they asked about availability and start dates during the interview I'd have made myself look very available and willing, but also considerate enough to let them know that I do have a prior committment (holiday ) on those dates. Make yourself absolutely irresistable to them first (er, appropriately... lol)!

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

It happens all the time. In the interview when asked about start dates you just need to let them know you have a holiday booked. Most employers are very accommodating as long as they have notice.

Add krysalyss on Facebook

Feb 2007
    on the move.....

I have put it in a cover letter a few times but only if I think they may call for an interview while I am overseas and wonder why they can't reach me. I then put down that I am away for work purposes (e.g. a conference) so it doesn't look unprofessional.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Update: I just got a callback for a 3 week temp assignment, which will take me right up to when we go away. Assuming I get the job - find out Monday - I'll just put on any further applications that I'm not available until November.

Thanks for all your help ladies, and thanks for all saying the same thing so I didn't get confused, LOL!