Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 16th-30th 2009 #1

Hi girls, everything is good here. Still being woken up at night so am a bit more tired than the first few months. Edward is definitely getting teeth. I am pretty sure both the front bottom ones are coming through together, I can feel them just under the skin. I just wish they would cut through already!! Otherwise he is still being amazingly well behaved. He giggles all the time, he is an absolute pushover when it comes to getting smile and giggles. There really isn't anything quite as delightful as baby giggles.
    I have been really busy. I am really looking forward to Bridge to Brisbane being over and done with so I can stop doing so much running. I managed 7km in 56 minutes on Wednesday. I am pretty sure that I will manage 10 kms without dying. I have also been talked into playing out the remainder of the soccer season for my old team as there have been some injuries and they are short players. Between running, the group training sessions, soccer and chasing Byron around I am rarely stationary at the moment. I am back to a size 12 though, and feel pretty awesome, so I should stop complaining.

Lol, Cass, I think our households must be pretty similar. I am always having to protect Edward from Byron's 'cuddles'. He is generally good though, except when he is tired.

Shuairan, I really feel for you, I hope you get better really quickly!
    Try not to worry about your milk supply. I went away for a week and left Byron with my mum when he was 6 months old. I expressed 3 times a day while I was away. It felt like I had waaay less milk when I got back but he sorted it out very quickly. As long as there is still some milk there then you shouldn't have a problem bringing your supply back to what your little girl needs.

Amanda, . I have only ever had to attend one funeral, but I don't think there is a more depressing place to be. I can't imagine having to say goodbye to someone so young.
    My mum called last night to tell me that a good friend of our family is in a critical condition in hospital. They think he has swine flu and it doesn't look like he is going to make it. He is only in his 40s. Life really isn't fair sometimes.

Edward is hungry so will have to leave you on that sad note, hope you are all well.

Hi all! Thanks for your advice. I got my lil miss back and she's going great. The breast feeding still needs a bit of work but we're getting there... unfortunatley we went to a 29 yr olds funeral on wednesday. He had muscular dystrophy but it didn't stop him living an amazing life. Its a sad fact of life that with new beautiful babies some of the good leave us and I send my thoughts to all those who are struggling with a loss. Has anyone had portraits of there newest addition done? I got some of bubs at 2 months old and even though they have cost me a fortune its so worth it. I would highly recommend it to any of you thinking about it coz they grow up sooo fast! Anyway I better run.... take care

Hey all.
    What are everyones babies weights? My friends baby is a month younger and is half a kilo heavier than my Oliver. He is 6600 grams. Just had him weighed and he didnt put on any weight at all this week. actually lost 20g. And i have him the same clothes everytime. Our baby nurse quit like 4 weeks ago so i just weighed him myself at the pharmacy. He also still only has 150mls formula about 6 bottles a day.. Do you think his weight is ok?

Amanda, I have only been weighing Edward on our home scales but they say he is about 8kg. I wouldn't go by him though, he is a giant. Byron was too. I have a friend who's baby is 9 months and he only just weighs more than Edward. He is OK, just small.
    I would say Oliver's weight is fine. According to the growth charts he is right on average weight for 3 1/2 months. I also wouldn't worry about losing 20g, especially if you have changed scales. I say stop weighing him so often... babies are strange, some weeks they grow lots, others not much at all. If he continues to not put on weight for an extended period then maybe get him checked. You will have his 4 month check soon anyway, you can ask then if you are still worried.

Shuairan, very happy that you and your little girl are together again! Hope feeding is back to normal again now.
    I am going in to get pixifotos of my boys on Friday. I got given a voucher at the baby expo so I figured I might as well get some done. I just hope Byron will sit still for long enough to get some decent photos of him.

Hi everyone! Been a bit busy so haven't had much time to get on here at all. Hopefully things settle down soon over this way!

Daniel is going great guns, but I think his teeth are coming through - I just wish that they would break through already! I can see their shape just below the gums and he woke up in the middle of the night for a couple of nights about a week or so ago and needed some comforting. We initially gave him Panadol for the pain, but I have since moved to Brauers Teething Relief and Hylands tablets as I wasn't comfortable giving him Panadol. It seems to do the trick.

Sleep-wise, we have been so, so happy - Daniel's been sleeping through until past 7am for about 3 weeks now (he goes to bed at 7.30 and then has a dreamfeed at 10.30).

The only issue we're having is with eating. We think that it is related to the teething, but aren't sure. Daniel usually has 180mls 6 times a day (7.00, 10.30, 1.30, 4.30, 7.00, 10.30) however since he started having teeth issues, he has only been eating about half for that for all his feeds bar the last 2 feeds. He just pokes out the bottle with his tongue, shakes his head from side to side, kicks and cries. I have no idea why - could it be that his gums are sore, or he's just full? I honestly don't know what to do. He is happy otherwise and I weighed him at home the other day and he is 6.6kgs, so his weight is not an issue. Has anyone had this problem at all? I was thinking of going to a 4-hour routine, but I don't think that he can stay awake long enough or do enough napping for a 4-hour feed routine. The other idea I had was to drop the dreamfeed, but I honestly don't know what to do! Any suggestions and advice would be so greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone is going well - I will try to write more soon and get on BellyBelly more often once things at home settle a bit more.

Thanks Mel..
    Yes i think i might stop weighing him every week its doing my head in a bit.. Ill wait until his 4 month check to get him weighed again that way it'll give him time to put on or not. Edward is a big boy isn't he. Oliver is still in 000 clothes. I cant wait until he is in his 00's. We have some really cute outfits waiting for him.

Anna- It sounds like he may have to do another burp or something. That is exactly what Oliver has been doing with his feeds aswell. Like leaving a third of the bottle all day and then having full ones at night. Sometimes if he is whinging and seems finished but leaves a third i quickly reheat the last bit and he will then have it.. You can reheat a bottle once eg you make a feed, bubs doesnt want it, you can put it straight in the fridge then reheat ONCE to feed again.. I rang Karicare about something else and that's what they told me. So i reheat the end bit and he seems to take it after that no problem. That's all i can think of. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2two View Post
    Anna- It sounds like he may have to do another burp or something. That is exactly what Oliver has been doing with his feeds aswell. Like leaving a third of the bottle all day and then having full ones at night. Sometimes if he is whinging and seems finished but leaves a third i quickly reheat the last bit and he will then have it.. You can reheat a bottle once eg you make a feed, bubs doesnt want it, you can put it straight in the fridge then reheat ONCE to feed again.. I rang Karicare about something else and that's what they told me. So i reheat the end bit and he seems to take it after that no problem. That's all i can think of. HTH
    Thanks - we thought it might be the burping thing too, but I don't think it is ... we're pretty neurotic kind of parents on some things and the burping thing is one of them (mainly because there was a time a while back when we didn't burp him enough and he either had pain or he vomited up his feed with his burp). Thanks anyway - we will keep an eye on it. Today wasn't too bad, but he's still a bit funny with his food during the day.

Just a quickie for me right now... Mel, I lost my phone yesterday... got new one, same mobile number. Want to msg me so I have your number again? We'll have to catch up soon too.

Default Hello

Hi Ladies
    My name is Bianca and my son Jacob was born April 25th by emergency c/s at 37 weeks. We had quite a journey conceiving him 2.5years and he truly is an IVF miracle. He weighed 2.8kg at birth and was 49cm long, we have had a lot of feeding issues and he still isnt a big feeder, only drinking about 80mls at a time 4-5 times a day but it changes every day. I have had a lot of medical problems so i couldnt breast feed so the poor little tyke is currently experiencing his second flu which makes me feel bad.
    He only weighs 5.5 kg and is still in 0000 or 000 but growing slowly none the less. As for sleep well im a shift worker so he doesnt get to bed until around 12ish and wakes every 3-4 hours until about 11am.
    He is very selective with his smiles but when he does it oh so gummy and cute. He does a lot of "talking/grunting" and loves to kick his soccer ball and hold his rattles plus he is a big AFL fan, can watch intently for up to half an hour.
    Well ladies thats a bit about us I look forward to talking to you all as we watch our little miracles grow and change.

Love
    Bee & Jacob

Welcome Bianca. Sounds like you have had a tough time. I hope you are past your medical problems, it makes it hard to enjoy being a mum when you are worried about your own health too. Try not to feel bad about Jacob having the flu... plenty of BF babies have had it too.

Charisse, if Daniel is getting teeth then he is quite possibly just being fussy because of that. Edward's feeds have been a bit erratic the last couple of weeks, but he seems happy enough. When Byron got his first teeth he was already having some solids so it was the solid food that he got fussy with. I worked out eventually that he would still eat anything as long as it was cold from the fridge. Cold porridge and cold mashed vegetables, yummy!
    If you want to start spacing out his feeds more, you don't have to do it by a whole hour. Maybe see if he can go an extra 20 minutes each time to start with. It sounds to me like he was eating quite a lot before (being a BFer I really have no idea how much Edward gets each feed), maybe he is just having a lull in his growth and doesn't need so much food right now.

Cass, sent you a msg, hopefully it got to you. I would be stuffed if I lost my phone! Maybe I should write down all the numbers somewhere else just in case.

My face is moving a lot more than before. I can smile and look normal (as long as it isn't a really big smile). I finally feel like I will be normal again oneday.
    Edward is still waking me up during the night but he is getting to around 4am now, so back to 8 hours solid sleep.
    I can't believe we are almost at 4 months already! The second lot of vaccinations are only about a week away. Edward can get his third official weigh in since he was born... you really do get slack with the 2nd child.

I hope everyone is well. I go for my first 10km practice run in the morning... wish me luck!

Well hello everyone.

So sorry I have been missing in action but I have been so busy and I'm really enjoying being a mum at the moment.

Sounds like youre a real trooper Mel - I commend you. Hope you made the 10kms in your designated time. When is your race? fun run?

Hi Bianca - my DS is one day younger than Jacob and was lighter than him as well. I think as long as he is gradually putting on weight try not to worry too much - some bubbas are just little people.

Master K is just delightful, laughing and giggling at everything - especially his big sister and is super ticklish under his chubby chin. He has stacked on over 3.5kg since birth!

We have been visiting the dermatologist as he has some dry skin issues we are tackling and the reflux has calmed down since starting zantac about 6 weeks ago. Tummy time is still not great though as he hates having pressure on his tummy as it forces everything back up. Yuck. Poor little thing.

I have a feeling he won't be moving a quickly as DD did either which is good. She crawled at 6 months and walked 1 week before 9 months old. AHHHHH

Seem to be really busy entertaining DD at the moment, busy mornings (only have one at home) and try to be home in the arvos. DD has just decided that she doesnt need a sleep now as resists the shut eye. I'm persisting and she has at least 1 hour of 'rest' and reading in her bedroom. She seems to sleep every second day at the moment, but the day's she doesnt - just crashes by 6pm. Sorry to prattle on about DD, but so relevant in my life of 2 kids at the moment.

Well - apart from the general daily baby and toddler routines, I'm not up to much else. It's so nice to be feeling well and happy and enjoying life though (can you tell I've been getting more sleep?) DS has been waking only twice a night for the last 2 weeks, about 1.30am and 4.30am. I've tried introducing dreamfeed at 10pm but because of his reflux it wakes him when he burps and defeats the purpose of the dreamfeed. So I go to bed at about 9pm and get a decent block of sleep before he wakes - yay!!!

Oh yeah - bring on spring too - the weather is wonderful!!!!!

just wanted to add that there are threads out for babies due in April 2010!!!!

It was around this time that we were all finding out we had a bub on the way! - How time flies.

Makes me want another already - DH would have a HUGE FIT if he heard me say that

Sorry I haven't been around much, I have been reading everyone's posts though, just never seen to be able to find time to write. I have Ollie sleeping on me at the moment so lets hope he lets me finish.

We had lots of feeding troubles which made things really hard early on, between the vasospasm and Ollie's posterior tongue tie I was so raw that it was too painful to feed him. Long story but finally all healed and this week - pain free!!! Woohoo!!!

I hope everyone and their bubbas are doing well!

Hi Sarah, great to hear from you... yay for pain free breasts!

Nell, It is good to hear that you are enjoying yourself now! Sleep makes a huge difference.
    Byron is pretending he doesn't want a daytime sleep too. I think I am ok with it most days as it means bed before 7, but if we have done something exciting and he is worn out he just turns into a monster. He was officially 2 1/2 yesterday... I really wish we could just skip the next 6 months or so.

I made it through the 10km run in 1 hr and 15 minutes. I was happy with that as I had the pram with me (apparently it is good to train with the extra resistance). I am doing another one tomorrow so hopefully can get it a bit faster. I would love to be able to get under an hour, without the pram, for the real run, but our team has been entered into the under 85 minute group so I am fast enough already. The actual run is on the 30th of August, yes a fun run, a bit of a stupid name for a run though if you ask me. I have concluded that the people that run all the time and can do 10km in about 30 minutes are just wierd!
    Edward is still drooling constantly and waking up during the night. He looks like he is trying to gnaw his fist off at times and he wants to be cuddled all the time. The hard bumps on his gums don't seem any closer to pushing through though so we could be putting up with this for a while yet.

Anyone got rolling babies yet? Byron was rolling by 3 months but I haven't given Edward nearly as much tummy time as it can be a bit dangerous with his brother around. I have started trying to give him at least a bit of floor time each day now. We have also been putting him in the jolly jumper... he loves it! He bounces around all by himself. It is so cute!

Anyway, I have lots of washing to do so better get going.

Hi Mel, yes I did get your message...thank you!! I meant to reply to you and got busy and just remembered now that I hadn't! Sorry, feel very rude about that. Wow, you're going to blitz the Bridge to Brisbane!! I still can't believe you're doing it lol. You're maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Mel, Elijah has been waking up too, but the past 4/5 nights it's been really bad! Down to every hour last night and the previous nights average every 2 hours. I'm not sure what's keeping me awake - adrenalin or coffee ahaha. Doc checked him over after I called him to ask if it could've been from needles a wk ago but he's perfect the doc said and thinks it's a phase. Well, he better get over it quick smart lol. Andy found something which said that sometimes new milestones can throw them out of whack and he's really the past 2 wks discovered his hands and sucks his finger and chews them... cute but gross.

Hey Sarah!! Great to hear from you. Good to hear things sorting themselves out. It's all a learning curve isn't it. It's an interesting journey sometimes.

Nell, I have a friend who just found out she's due in April, made me feel all clucky UNTIL I remembered how bad I had m/s with Elijah!!

Mel, no rolling here!! He goes onto his left side a little but that's it. I don't really do "tummy" time as such. I do it across my lap or on me cos Oskar likes to lay on him lol. Cuddle him mummy, cuddle...lol.

Elijah got weighed and was 6.9kg on the doc's scales, but I kinda feel he's more than that!! I weighed him with me holding him on ours (I know not the most accurate way) and he was around 8kg. Will try to find some proper scales to do it on. He's about 67cm now too, so a bit longer than Oskar was at the same age however Oskar was 7.3kg... still like I said, I do think that the weight wasn't overly accurate at doc's. Even so, he's doing well as far as all that goes.

Cass, got your msg, didn't think you were rude, don't worry.

Gee Cass, being woken up every hour is a bit extreme! I agree with the milestones thing. 2 of the other mums at my execise thing said their boys (2nd children) slept through from really early and stopped for a while around 4 months. I hope he settles down again soon or you may go insane.
    We had needles yesterday and Edward had the best sleep he has in a while. He was niggly in the evening but almost made it to 5am. I was very pleased.
    6.9kg doesn't sound big enough based on Elijah's previous measurements. Edward is 7.9kg and 66cm. Everytime I look at him I think he is big and roly poly, but Byron was 8.3kg at 4 months... he must have been a massive budda! He doesn't look that fat in photos.

We have been having some toilet success with Byron over the last week. He really doesn't want to get a nappy put on. Thankfully it has been warm enough to let him run around without one at home. We have had a couple of wees on the floor and a poo on the lawn, but mostly it has been in the toilet or potty. He is tall enough to stand in front of the toilet without a stool...just. It is so funny to watch him standing on his tiptoes directing the wees in. I can't wait to only have 1 child's worth of nappies to wash again!

Amanda, I have been using the baby beehinds magiucalls at night and they have been good, no leaks in the couple of weeks we have been doing it. They are a nice big cut so you can stuff lots in for the overnight shift. Would probably be a bit bulky for Byron during the day though as he has a fairly narrow crotch.

I managed to do an hour and 13 minutes for my run last weekend. I am going to be really pleased when this is over and I can stop worrying about how quickly/ how far I can jog. One of the other girls quoted 'pain is temporary, pride is forever' at me on monday. I have concluded I am not someone whose exercise related pride is important enough to me for that motto to work.

I need a coffee... hope everyone is well.

Hi Ladies

Just thought i would pop in with an update. Jacob was in hospital l last week with a fever, rash and he stopped feeding but he really perked up by the weekend for hubby's birthday with antibiotics and tamiflu. So we went down south as planned but by monday he had developed a cough, runny nose and was just plain miserable feeling bad for the other hotel guests we headed home today. Took him to the local Dr who said he was wheezing and had bronchiolitis but gave us nothing to help so went up to PMH who cleared him to go home.

I can't believe how big your boys are Jacob has only put on 105g in the last 10 days and is now 5.7kg Like a lot of you ladies im desperate for a decent sleep as he is waking every 1.5-2.5hrs atm but being sick all he wants is mummy and hugs and who am i to refuse. Well an early night here for us and i have to agree with the baby giggles....soo cute! Jacobs latest trick is picking up his rattle and smacking himself in the face its hard not to laugh plus he loves noises.

Well hope your all well or at least better than us :P

Love
    Bee & Jacob

Mel, Oskar wants to run around as a "rudey boy" lol. He's actually doing quite well and I've left this up to him totally. He will wee but not poo in the toilet! He will also wee on the grass out the back - I didn't want him doing that but what can you do when 3 other mums let their boys do it....arrrgh so I'm just letting it go for now and as he gets a little older I'll redirect to the toilet as he gets better with the whole TT. As for Elijah's weight... I forgot to weigh him the other day!! DOH! I'm going to Strathpine tomorrow so if I remember I'll see if the chemist there has scales. I'm not worried if his weight really is what the doc thinks it's just that I thought he really was more than that.

Bee, HUGE to you. It really sucks having a sick bub. Oskar had bronchiolitis when he was 5 months old. I can't remember if he had ab's or not. I had him sleep with me for about a week or so and propped up on a pillow so he was laying inclined which helped a lot with the coughing. I hope he gets better quickly. I'm also not surprised he hasn't put on too much weight lately - he's been quite off colour by the sounds of it.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast