... 56789 ...

thread: Babies Born April 16th-30th 2009 #1

Aug 2007

it's so quiet here.

Hope you are all well and your bubbas are thriving.

Jun 2009
    Melbourne - Rowville

Flat spots

Hi Ladies,

Thanks very much for your warm welcomes.

Wondering whether anyone can offer me some advice on flat spots on bubs head and also positional turns where bub favours looking to one side.

I am thinking of booking an oesteo to sort this out... ?

Anyone have an experiences or advice,,

Thanks Jacks mummy

Aug 2007

hi jacks mummy,

excuse the typing, im also trying to feed.

for the past week weve been propping ds shoulder to turn him off his preferred side and this morning changed his cot so his feet face the other end now, hopefully to encourage him to turn his head to the non preferred side. im seeing my early childhood nurse about the same ting on wednesday so will let you know what else you can try.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

It certainly has been quiet in here. I guess everyone is busy.

Everything is going well here. Edward is still sleeping, but has been taking a little bit longer to settle. I think he must be having yet another growth spurt as he has stopped doing as many poos and they are much thicker and darker when he does. And he is reeeaaally hungry.
    I think I can feel something happening with my face. My lips look normal and I have stopped sleeping with an eye patch because my eye closes completely when I am relaxed. Everyone keeps telling me that it looks like it is getting better. It seems strange saying it is getting better because essentially I am still paralysed, but not as completely as before. Hope that it all happens more quickly now!

Nell, I don't think I could deal with the little ones all the time. At least the big ones can hold a conversation, even though those conversations are generally pretty inane. I did a degree in biomedicine first, then decided to do education, so secondary was really my only choice. Little kids don't do enough science and maths for me to have made the most of my first degree.
    It is a shame that driving is so difficult for you. There really aren't too many things worse than a screaming baby in a car where you can't do anything about it. I hope it settles down soon.

Jack's mummy, neither of my boys have had flat spots on their heads so I am probably not much good for advice, but have you tried moving their head after they are asleep. I was told that babies who won't go to sleep on their backs can be put to sleep on their tummies and then rolled once they are really asleep. It might work with head positon.

Feeding time again... better go.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

Hi Everyone,

Well yesterday Spencer's day sleeping really improved and it is going well today too!!! WOOHOO!! I feel so much better knowing that he is getting the sleep he needs and it is great to get a spare moment to clean or just sit and soooo wonderful to be able to do something with Noah just the 2 of us!! The Zantac must be working and I also just him getting that bit older!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Queensland

whoops posted that by accident so sorry I'll just keep going here

Melanie, glad your face is getting better! Must be horrible havingthat 2 deal with at this busy time!

Jacks mummy, Spence had a tiny little flat spot that has fixed now I just put him down with his head on the opposite side a bit, thats one thing you can try, I had a little brochure the chn gave me. She also mentioned if it seem that as well as favouring one side if they actually have a little trouble turning the other way she could refer me to the physio, sometimes it can just be something that has gappened while you were preg or during labour that causes then to favour the one side. but as someone else said sleeping them at the opposite end of the cot and or moving the cot around the room

Sep 2008
    Sunshine Coast QLD

Jacksmummy. You can buy these special pillows especially for that. The ad for them is in the shop at home section of mother and baby or the pregnancy and birth.

Jun 2009
    Brisbane

Jacksmummy: DS had a flat side of his head because he prefers to sleep with his head turned to the right. We have just put on a wedge pillow under his right shoulder and one against his tummy on the left side to 'force' his head to roll over to the left. It looks to have fixed up the flat spot.

It has been quiet! Not much going on with us. Small triumph though: DS slept from 11.15pm (essentially a dream feed) to 6.45am last night! So very excited! The night before, he slept from 11.15pm to 5.30am. We're hoping that this continues! We have been following a feed-wake-sleep routine of 3 - 3.5hrs for the past 3 weeks (previously it was a feed-wake-sleep routine of 2.5 - 3hrs) and his eating and napping habits have seemed to have settled. Our rough routine at present is:

7am: feed; wake
    8am: nap
    10.30am: feed; wake
    11:15am: nap
    2pm: feed; wake
    2.45-3pm: nap
    5pm: feed; wake
    ... DS usually naps for about 45mins here and then stays up - it's his witching hours. It's pretty good though because DH is usually home by this time and we all hang out. Sometimes DS sleeps if he is in his hug-a-bub
    8pm: feed
    8:30pm: sleep
    10.45pm: dreamfeed
    (we was them waking between 3am - 4am for a feed, but this has stopped the last couple of nights)

Now it looks restrictive, but it really isn't. DS and I go out and have lunch and coffee with friends and it all fits in.

How is everyone else going with napping/sleeping?

In other news, DS goes for his first set of needles tomorrow. Hope it goes along smoothly!

Aug 2008
    adelaide

Morning ladies

WOW v quiet in here lately! we've just been busy busy busy. looking to put our house on the market and move to port lincoln - bought 2.5 acres just out of town - CANNOT WAIT (it's all i think about - besides lachlan) - am already there in mind and spirit and heart! haha.

Lachlan is going GREAT. Last night he slept from 1.30am-7.30am he has NEVER done that. i dream fed him around 10.30pm and he usually does wake at 1-2am sometimes close to 3 am then again at 6ish... but NEVER NEVER EVER has he slept this long. Am not counting chickens just yet ... but it was fab to have a sleep am feeling v rested.

berrme that is wonderful news your face is getting a bit better - will for you that it improves swiftly.

annachas wow you really have a good routine there. i've been reading baby whisperer book and it has a similar routine but ... DS is not tired/ hungry at those times, so i've been taking some of the hints from it and just 'winging' it. I go off DS's cues - if he tired, i put him to sleep etc etc etc. and he's been sleeping really good naps during day. i find he prefers to sleep in pram rather than basinette - he slept a good 1.5hr nap y-day NEVER done that either.

TMI alert - has anyone else got their period back yet? i haven't - but i'm not BF. am WANTING it to come cos we DTD and er.... DP wasn't quick enough to 'pull out'. am FREAKING out. do NOT want more children at this stage!!!!! can everyon please for my p's!!!!

lachlan had white poos for a few days - was the 'colic' formula i'd put him on so went to doctor who said take him off it and it's fixed it. now have him just on infants friend which does the trick.

Did everyone else here bout michael jackson dying AND farrah fawcett. v sad.

Aug 2008
    adelaide

annachas just looked at the photo of your little man. omg he's gorgeous - LOVE the beautiful skin tone! i'm 'pasty' skinned (sooooo white i'm almost see through) LOL and DS was born with darker skin like daddy but it seems he now takes after me as v light (maybe darken up during summer i hope) .... I can't tan to save myself.

Jun 2009
    Brisbane

mustangsachy: congrats on the purchase! How exciting! No period here yet, but not DTD either ... should get on to that soon! Also, we LOVE Infant's Friend - it has been such a lifesaver for us!

DS has his first set of immunisations the other day. He vomited everywhere after the oral one. I didn't have my nappy bag with me (I just had DS and my car keys) so when he spewed it went everywhere and I had nothing to clean it up with (I though it would be a quick in and out job and didn't expect spewing to occur). The lady who was giving him his needles looked at me like I was the worst mother in the world when I said that his nappy bag was in the car. She actually said 'Well, I don't have anything. Why didn't you bring anything in to clean him up with?'. Well, I thought, I didn't know he would spew everywhere, did I, you silly old bag. At this point, I was wishing he had spewed on her as well as all over me. Anyway - things you learn. We will be better prepared next time.

The immunisation saga doesn't finish there though. DS was fine for the rest of the day (we even met up with jitterbug and saw a movie!), however around 5pm, he started getting really cranky and squealing (very unusual for him) and his temp went was higher than usual (37.4) and he felt hot. I first called my MIL who said some baby panadol might help. I called DH to pick up some on the way home. DS's temp went up again so I called 13HEALTH who suggested going to see a GP (at 6pm at night, in the middle of Brisbane - luckily there are 2 surgeries that are open til 7pm), so I called the GPs to see if they had any appointments. The first one said that there were no doctors present and the second one said to quickly take DS to the emergency room. Well, panic and crying set it. Called DH to hurry home (luckily he was only a couple of blocks away) and we went to the Children's Emergency at the Mater. The staff there were fantastic. After hours there, they figured that the temp was most likely from the immunisations. DS's temp has started to go down so we were sent home. We went back the next day for a follow up check up and the dr was happy with DS. Having never done any of this before, it has been an exhausting couple of days, but we are glad that DS is all a-ok!

Hope everyone is doing well out there!

Aug 2008
    adelaide

Annachas what a COW!!! as if they don't have a rag/ paper towels to clean up. they are in medicine i hate ppl with poor bedside manner. i took lachlan to my dr the other day re his white poos and the ***** (pardon french) behind the counter was SO RUDE. he'd just chucked on himself and i had to change his clothes so i asked if i could use the toilet to change him 'we don't have change facilities here' then rolled her eyes and sighed saying 'come on then' and took me to an examination room. then closed the doors to other rooms next to it. UM excuse me ... i've been going to this practice since i was 10 years old.... i'm not going to steal anything i just want to change my baby .... you try sitting in wet clothes hmmm?! hahaha!

your poor DS for being sick and having a temp. Lachaln has the sniffles and was running a similar temp yesterday - so gave him a bit of baby panadol and put him to sleep and he much better. so scary though isn't it? you try not to be an alarmist parent but you want to make sure everything is ok....

good luck DTD. i was soooo nervous of pain etc. but it was ok, as long as go slow and use lube. am now back in the saddle as per norm (sorry TMI). DP super happy

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

Sacha, lol @ being back in the saddle. Love how we are so "romantic" about it now huh. It's funny how we pick what we'd like our bubs to get from each parent lol. I'm jealous about you maybe moving too!!

Anna, your little man is definitely gorgeous. So glad he's ok. I always take temp rises seriously in little ones cos they can go up quite quickly with little bodies.

It is a sad day re: Farrah and Michael.

Well I had that lovely tummy bug Tuesday night. If it wasn't bad enough having both ends going (TMI) Andy was away in Townsville!! One good thing was it was 9pm when it hit and both the little ones were in bed so didn't get exposed at the time! I'm not sure when/how it's spread but they've been ok. Man I was sick though. Lukily Elijah sleeps til around 5/5:30am so I got to just be sick.

Feb 2009
    Brisbane

Anna, I hope DS doesn't scare you like that after all his vaccinations! At least next time you will have the panadol on hand if he starts to get a temp. Byron didn't react to any except his 12 month ones, but it was scary enough then. It must be very scary in a tiny baby!

Sacha, it is very exciting that you are moving. I hate the packing and actual move, but it would be great to have a new house.
    I think I got my period a couple of weeks ago. It was really light though. I am hoping that it was a one off... I didn't get it for over 13 months last time, I will be ****ed off if I have it while breastfeeding this time. Fingers crossed that you aren't up the duff again already.

Cass, you poor thing. I hate vomiting! And the runs aren't too flash either. Lucky it only lasted the night. Even luckier that the boys didn't get it. Thank god for small mercies.

Yesterday was our 4th wedding anniversary. Didn't go out or anything, just too hard now. MIL is coming tomorrow though, staying until Wednesday, so maybe we can manage a bit of time to ourselves while she is here.
    Had my final check up with the ob. He wanted to make sure he had gotten rid of the granulomas. My vagina finally has the all clear.
    Edward is still being lovely. He moved into the cot on the weekend. He keeps wriggling his way up the cot and out from under his blankets so the last couple of nights he woke a little earlier as he was cold. Tonight we have him in a wondersuit and a sleeping bag, plus have an anti roll cushion, so hopefully he will last till 6 again.

Sep 2008
    Sunshine Coast QLD

Hello everyone.
    We are still alive here just been super busy.
    We had our vaccinations last Thursday and Oliver was such a champ. Luckily we had no reactions, just a little sore so i gave some panadol just in case. We arent into a routine yet i just try and take it as it comes. Now that I'm putting Oliver on the bottle I'm hoping we fall into one pretty quickly.
    Im having a day off today hehe and having some well overdue me time. Im leaving the little one for the first time in 2 months. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time. And im going out ALL day.
    I think Ive got my period. Very light and sporadic though. With lots of cramping so im not sure but cant think of any other reason why this would be happening. We dtd last week too and it hurt like a mother at the start. Then halfway in was all good. haha. I instantly thought i was pregnant even though im on the mini pill and we used protection haha. Totally paranoid.
    Hope everyone is going well.

Aug 2008
    adelaide

Morning all!

ozzie - so sorry to hear you were sick. v lucky kiddies didn't get sick too. v unpleasant though. haha to personality. Lachlan looks RIDICULOUSLY like DP, it's seroiusly like looking after a mini him all day. So hoping that he gets more of my personality (the good bits anyway) - he's born 2 days before me so we'll see if he's a stubborn taurus ... he has chucked a few 'tanties' when frustrated and i look at him like 'omg thats ME' haha. not sure if babies can chuck tanties but that's what it looks like.

berrme - CONGRATS on 4th wedding anniv. hopefully you'll get to make up for it soon and go somewhere nice. i've been dropping hints to DP that i'd like to get hitched (i was hitched prev but he killed himself so i went off idea for YEARS - but now i've met my soulmate i'd like a ring puhlease).... when i was preg DP said that he'll take me to our fave 5 star r-raunt and propose after bubba is born.... erm .... HE'S BORN. LOL. how cute edward in cot already. i can't think that far ahead.... is so convenient having him in basinette beside me. it looks cold and big in his room i think i need to get over that quick smart though!

Mama2two - to DTD. yeah not pleasant at start but you get back into it. i had a few wines to help me when we did so i wouldn't be fixated on it hurting - have heard the fear of pain is more than the actual pain. all good now haha to thinking you're preg already - my dr said not to start pill til i get a period. oh LUCKY you to having a day off! who are you leaving them with?

Have some excellent news; LACHLAN laughed for first time y-day. it was sooo cute. i laughed at him when he did it and then almost cried i was so overwhelmed with emotion. he looked shocked at the 'noise' he'd made and hasn't done it again poor DP was a bit upset he wasn't there for the first but he's just been promoted and working so many hours. is great financially and for his resume but so isolating for me.

have a great weekend all x

Jul 2006
    Brisbane

Melanie, absolutely thankful for small mercies. I can handle them with colds and the likes but I hate seeing bubba's (this includes Oskar cos he's still only 2 and they don't understand) spewy and pooey, it is so sad and they get so scared. Oskar actually did throw up on Sunday morning about 5am so I don't know if he had a touch of it before me or not. He didn't vomit again and he didn't have the runs, but he was pushing on his tummy a bit and said to me "Oskar no sore tummy" which when you translate with him you usually take the no out - like he'll say "Oskar no poos in there" when he's done one. So, I can't be certain if it was something or not. I erred on the side of caution and gave him no dairy for 24 hours though.

Sacha, take that man of yours aside and say listen up buddy... HE IS BORN...uh huh...lol. I hope you get the ring soon! Oh I love that baby laugh, it's just gorgeous! We have a real little chatterbox here, he really gets going at times. I think he's done a half laugh a couple of times, but we haven't taken that as it yet. Oooooh I can't wait for it though

YAY Amanda... how was your day out?

We measured Elijah today and we think he's about 60/61cm long now... wow like 10cm in 10 weeks, that's INSANE! He is wearing 00's....not sure if I've mentioned that before. I've actually had to buy clothes for him even though Oskar was born in March so I should be able to use the clothes but NO he was still fitting some 0000 at 10 wks but mostly 000 which Elijah has pretty much outgrown. Lol kinda funny in some ways. At least as it warms up in a couple of months the clothes that Oskar wore will fit Elijah cos they're mainly t-shirts and shorts so not jumpsuits so much. He's such a smiley little man, I just love him to bits. Oskar hasn't been too bad overall, still likes to try to lay on him to cuddle him or kneel on him...they just don't get "gentle" at 2 yrs old! I've told him to watch out cos Elijah will be big enough to get him back soon enough!

Jun 2009
    Kellyville

Still a learning experience

Hi! My name is Marrii. I have given birth to my first son, Kurtis on the 17th of April 2009. He was 7 pound 9 ounces. Recently, my husband to be just returned back to work after a massive surgery and I am looking to join a mothers group in my local area. I googled Mothers Group Rouse Hill and this forum came up.. Im wondering if someone could please point me in the right direction.. as Id really like to meet some mummys and listen to thier insight

... 56789 ...