Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2006

Also a good yeasty beer increases milk production ( but you do have to express for the next few feeds....)

I had decreased milk supply and at 2 weeks old they go through another major growth spurt...during that time MAtilda would be on the bb's for around 2 hours at a time & then we would offer 60mls and feed again 2 hours later. Its exhausting and it lasts a few days but then Jen's milk supply should increase with the growth spurt as well. Good luck! Call your local ABA as they have a chart as to growth spurts & when they "generally" happen.

Hi everyone,

Well I can officially join the baby buddies now!

Tyron is 2 weeks old tomorrow, things have been really stressful and I have spent the last week in tears, he was screaming like 20 hours a day even one of the midwifes at the hospital mentioned the amount he cried, but did anyone offer any suggestion, well no!! So yesterday we went to the clinic and also a lactation consultant who basically said what we had though all along was that he had colic. Now doctors won't diagnose that at only 2 weeks, but on the checklist she had he scroed 15/15. So we finally got some colic releif medicine and what a difference he slept for 6 hours straight last night, the first time EVER. Today i actually feel human.

I am definitely not producing any milk, even wen I express there is lucky to be 10ml, so I am giving him a bottle as well, which has probably made it harder as he has become lazy and would rather the bottle than the BB as it is easier to drink. I will try and express and feed him ,but I just don't think I am going to make 60mls at a time!

Sorry this has all been about me!!

Theresa - good to hear you are home salfey and that Georgie is doing so well. I am recovering really well from my CS as well, no painkillers for the last 3 days, the only problem I have is severe constipation, the OB said this can happen as they have to touch your bowel in the process and it can become inflammed, I ended up in emergency the other night as I was in so much pain, htey gave me a lovely enema which worked great and now I am on some liquid which helps. (Sorry probably way TMI!!)

Abs - I hope Jen's milk comes in as well, but it is better to feed him a bottle than for the poor little man to be hungry!!

Susan - I am constantly washing as well, he is in 0000 at the moment but is just about to outgrow them so I don't want to buy anymore, this means continuosly washing them so that I have enough!

KelliC – I’m coping well with the twins, they are well behaved most of the time. Though yesterday & today Steve is working away from home so I have been home alone with them. Adam tested me out this morning crying for ¾ hour for no reason, he had been fed, changed and burped. Even cuddles wasn’t stopping him. So I read & sung to him and finally he stopped.

Anyone else found their babies have dry skin. I found out last night when maternal health nurse rang that this is possibly caused from using J&J baby soap products. She said to not use these products till approx 12 months of age. So I used a bathy bath oil (Natural) last night in the bath. Smelt great, lavender etc and they both loved their bath again. So hopefully in a couple of days the dry skin will clear up.

Susan – if Amber still won’t take to your breast try a nipple shield. My left nipple is thicker than the right and Hayden who uses the left side will only suck with a nipple shield. So much that if I put him on the right side now even though the nipple is smaller and he used to take it he will only take it with the nipple shield also. So I guess the shield makes it easier. (I have the Avent brand)

Washing – just think I have twice as much to wash – hehe

Bel – In hospital I was given Maxalon to bring in my milk quicker and it definitely worked, wasn’t long and I was dripping milk

Sounds like Hayden is calling so I better go - hope everyone has a great weekend.

abs Guest

Hmm, thanks for the tips there girls... will definitely pass it on - she's off helping with looking into putting her dad into a Nursing Home. Unfortunately the time has come Her mum simply can't cope - mix of Parkinsons and Dementia... some of the time he takes a few moments to even recognise her

Had the local healthcare nurse (or whatever the title is) come and visit this morning

He's put on over 300grams since we left the hospital last Wednesday, and she was happy with everything. Jen mentioned the milk thing and gave her some info. She also loves Actavite, so that recipe should be well received. Will mention Maxalon too - good to hear that several people recommend it rather than just one person IYKWIM

I'm off to Medicare now - put all three of us onto the one card... guess we can't put Jordy onto both her and my separate cards, so the next big step in our relationship is to join it up.

Also, yesterday, sent off the forms to my health fund to change to Family and have Jen & Jordan added to it (and to also have Jen's coverage cancelled with Medibank - I'm with a work related fund)

Timed well, as during April and May, my mob have a "no-waiting for additional members"... Jen was on a lower cover plan than I'm on, so would have had a waiting period for anything in the difference

Hope you're all coping with the new family members

Oh yeah, Lisa, what exactly is Colic - will look further around here later for a description. So happy for you to find why bubs was upset - must be an enormous relief

Catchya later

Kelly - I've never been able to use J&J bath products on Janae - they dry out her skin too much. I was SO disappointed because I love the smell of J&J baby soap...I also use omo sensitive washing powder because normal washing powder dries out her skin after even one load.

I find curash bath products work well. You can also get 2 chemist brands that are good - Thompsons & umm, what's the other one???? bugger, pregnant brain has kicked in - I'll let you know...

ETA - just remembered...it's Michaels. I think thats the cheaper one too.

Hope the boys' skin clears up soon.

abs Guest

argh, vent coming....

Set up the scenario. Jen & I have separate medicare cards. Something most couples will have when they are just the two of us. We are registered together for the Medicare Safety Net thingo, but still on separate cards

So Medicare... visit number 3 in 3 days

Go in day #1 - want to enrol family onto one card. Get some form to fill out

Go back in... Nah, this is the enrolment for people coming in from overseas. You need this form

Go back in today... Nah, whilst this is sort of the right form, and is used for people merging two cards, you also need this and that

If on Monday, it still isn't right, I will be sooooooooooooo mad :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:

Further update on my :fuming: mother.

Finally had enough as you all know she didn't ring me at all during my pregnancy. The boys are now just over 2 weeks old and I haven't heard from her at all (phone, email not even a baby card) so tonight I have sent her an email with photo's of her grandsons (really cute ones she couldn't ignor) and asking her what she wants as it seems she doesn't want to know her grandsons - We'll have to wait and see if I get a reply....

Abs - another tip on increasing milk supply is to express more than needed between feeds, it makes the breasts produce more milk.

jelliebean Guest

I thought i'd find you all in here....

Wonder if i can pop in occassionally from next door at March.....

Well last night Luke slept right thru..... =D> I put him to bed around 10 and he didnt wake till 6.30am today....... So good......

This morning we sold one of our dogs..... only one more to go..... I cant wait to clean up the yard and put the kids outside toys out there. I no longer have to worry about them playing outside with the dogs anymore. I can just let them out to play whenever they want......

And even better, we can have friends and family over, without the constant barking from the dogs ...... can you tell im excited....

Is anyones bubs beginning to smile????? Luke is sorta hinting at a smile but, not properly.....

Im also having my uterine prolapse back again..... its very annoying having a part of your insides sticking out.... For those who dont know, the prolapse is what caused me to go into pre term labour at 35 weeks.... I had a slight bit of it b4 pregnancy but, it got worse with the pregnancy.... All seemed to go back into place after birth but, this last week its coming out again....

the only real cure is a hysterectomy, which i dont want at this stage..... Mainly because of the hospital stay!!!!! im hoping a bit of physio might tighten things up to a bearable level...

Also i was wondering, would Lukes milestones be that of a 6 week old or a 1 week old?????? as he was 5 weeks early, i was just wondering.....mainly coz he's just starting to be like a 1 week old baby, and slept constantly thru the first 4-5 weeks of life....

See you all soon

abs Guest

Kell really is an inspiration... You go girl and somehow let go of your mum. It's obviously her doing, why, maybe you'll never know But at least you've tried

Ta Theresa, at least the staff at my one knew the form - showed me an example of it - I couldn't even remember signing it. Turned out Jen had it in an envelope ready to send to Centrelink. I'll take it into Medicare with me on Monday - it can actually go to either apparently

Better go - things to do about the place - I've never been so busy doing housework in my life. Jen is finally trying to get ontop of some work things. Hasnt done her BAS from the Jan-Mar quarter yet

Theresa

I have problems with the boys at times too. Steve went out for a couple of hours today and they didn't stop wanting me during that time, and Adam cried for 45 mins. Lucky I had a sleep in so I wasn't tired its just hard when they are crying and you can't do anything. I had changed his nappy and fed him and he was still crying.

This afternoon we went for a walk with the dogs and when we got back the boys slept for about 4 hours, actually had to wake them around 7pm to feed them - Steve then laughed that I must have exagerated about what happened when he went out as they were little angels. :shock:

I've done nothing with the forms for the maternity allowance - I better get them filled in tomorrow and lodge them Monday if I can. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the $3000 ?

How are you all going with night time feeds? - I am really finding I am getting into a routine. I feed whoever is asking for me first then if the other other hasn't woken I change the nappy of the first then give him a top up of 20ml of EBM (or Formula later during the night if run out of EBM) The reason for the top up is to hope they sleep longer during the night. If the second bub is ready for a feed before the first has his top up then Steve gets up to to the nappy change and top up while I feed the second bub. I find that most nights they take it in turns who goes first (don't know why, but maybe they are learning to share already \/ )

Then after the feeds I top up the kettle, clean the nipple shield (need that for my thick left nipple that Hayden uses) clean the bottles, then I feel relaxed to sleep and that all is ready for the next feed, hoping I have time to get at least 2-3 hours sleep before it starts again.

Geez Kelly - you are amazing!!

I am really struggling to get Amber to sleep in her bassinette. The worst part is, whilst I am trying to sooth her, I fall asleep - then wake up again when she wakes up for her next feed - that's happened a couple of times now so I am hoping she's not getting used to falling asleep on mummy :shock:

abs Guest

Sounds as if you really are getting into a routine there Kelly

We think the week off for Jordan is causing quite a few problems. Will definitely need to suss out that Maxalon and that recipe... just barely had time to think

He's also causing Jen quite a bit of pain when he starts sucking... is that what the nipple shield is supposed to help with ?? We'll see if the battery pump we have will do the trick for the next feed. Try and express some... will do a bottle feed then express for the feed after that. I'm staying up doing what I can whilst she sleeps as much as she can

I'm sure it gets easier eventually

And I guess one good thing about staying up, is that I got my work laptop to finally work over our Broadband connection, versus having to use Jen's work landline (even if it's a 1800 number it dials, it still ties up the phone line). So means working from home is now a breeze \/

abs Guest

ta Theresa, it is only for about 10-15 seconds - She tried to get a nipple shield today whilst out and about and getting a few other things. No luck. I'll try somewhere tomorrow

Think it could be that he is getting used to the sucking action required for the bottle, which we guess is different for the booby action required. She can't even think of wanting to feed via her left breast at the moment, so is attempting to express from there - though she's lucky if she gets 15 or 20ml at a time

I've told her about the Aktavite recipe - is the skim milk powder actually required ?? She does love her Aktavite

Hope you have gotten Georgie sorted out by now

HI everyone

sounds like we are all working out our little bundles atm.....
    Logan still really hasnt settled into a feeding routine, I thought it was 4hourly then he some nights he wants it every 2hrs?? he seems to be sleepin fairly well between feeds and can sleep through lots of noise which is great, especially when Jasper is up and about! It has started to get really cold here already(down to 4degrees yesterday morning) Its such an effort to get out of my nice warm bed... I might take to feedin him in there with me i think??

Susan- I find myself fallin asleep even before Logan has finished feeding, sorry I cant offer any suggestions......

Theresa- IKWYM re: the snuggles Japser has gotten a little better with them now Logan has arrived though and is asking for the occasional cuddle.

Abs- Hope Jen keeps trying it will get easier soon, you can usually gety the nipple sheilds from most chemists.

KellyW- Wow you sure sound organised!! Re; the $3000 it took 2weeks for mine to go through but then i already recieve payment for Japser and it went through when i normally get his payment? dont know if this affected it in any way? Also Re; the bath products i found anything with laural sulphate in it really dries thier skin out, AROMABABY is a really great brand and also GAIA they are 100% natural and smell georgeous!!

HI to everyone else sorry if i missed you? 8-[
    Will try and get on here a bit more reguarly....
    Take care!

abs Guest

argh just went to the shops, knew I forgot something (the shield)

back I go... hmm, now where to look

actually Jen is back at the hospital today - to the physio which is on the same floor as the maternity ward. Due to the time taken, there was a nappy change required, then a feed. And since she can't feed enough for what he wants, she's gotta go back to the car to get a bottle for him

Apparently the MW nurses are all fussing over him being now 3 weeks old, and that little bit more alert than the newborns

But she did say she had no probs feeding on the right B, one she hasn't used for a few days due to it being really sore (expressing from it though)

has enyone elses babies belly button bled?? Logan started bleeding a little about 2 days ago? its not pouring out just a little on his nappy wear it rubs and then a dry bit on his belly button??? if it continues i'll go see the dr i think??

Anna - sometimes that does happen, do you clean the cord? I was told to use a wipe and a cotton bud & rub around where it hits and to try & keep the nappy edge off it. Matilda's lasted for ages and would get a dark discharge but I'm not positive it was blood. Maybe call your local Child Health Nurse & get them to check it out first.

abs Guest

Anna, it might be worth getting it checked out - I'd be concerned if it was bleeding. But could be that the last of the "stump" has come away, and is healing up ?? I dunno

We use disposables and the top of the front part folds back away from Jordan's belly button, so there's no rubbing on it via the nappy. His clothes of course would potentially rub. But it's actually gone down below the skin level if you know what I mean

My sister who was here a few days ago said it looked in great shape. She was a bit slack with her 2nd bubs belly button, and it stank for a while before it healed properly

Anyways, Jordy is being a bit vocal and Jen is trying to sleep, so I better rescue him before he wakes her

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast