Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #2

Sorry Tarnee - for some reason I thought you were one of us unlucky ones that didn't get to have a natural birth like we had expected. I really don't have many people to actually help and now that DH is back at work I'm doing as much as I can. I'm busting just to be able to go for a short walk with the pram let alone a full exercise regime - although that is planned to get those severed tummy muscles working again. A trip to the shops always helps.
    Hope Charlotte is better for you today and you get some rest.

Grubi: I know what you mean about the quick fix foods etc, and no sleep I only had 4 hrs last night and 2 hrs the night before, and I am not eating terrific, ok I guess but not as well as I should be to keep me going with energy with no sleep! And I too forget all the time I have 3 weeks of recovery left, I have been feeling good and my belly is only sore when I touch it now or when it gets bumped or if i over do it with certain things. I have done all the washing, made the beds mopped the floors, I am yet to cook tea and put it in the fridge for tonight (easier that way with 2 kids and bath times and cleaning up etc).

Tarnee: hey my little boy has had wind as well, it does hurt to watch them scream for so long, especially when its wind that comes out the other way and theres nothin you can do about that sort of wind until they poo poo. But for burpy wind they say warm water might help?
    the poor little darlin!

well I best go I have to get ready to go into the bank...

talk to you all soon! take care girls!

Danielle Ryley is such a cutie.
    grubi I have a few 'bad' snacks through the day, but I have found that even after having Oliver, and there now being more room in my stomach, my appetite still hasn't returned to what it was before I was pregnant, which I don't mind, as I ate WAY too much before. I just try to make sure that I have a healthy lunch (usually just a sandwich) and dinner (usually chicken and vegies) and I try not to have a snack after 9pm. I can't wait to be able to do some REAL exercise.
    Tarnee it's really hard when they have bad days, you just feel so helpless when nothing you do eases their pain. Shopping can usually fix most things

Had my Community Nurse visit today, and everything went very well, she was happy with my general health etc. Now Oliver's Discharge (BW) from the hospital was 4.56kg and when he was weighed today he was (BW) 4.93kg (DW) 5.21kg, so basically since leaving the hospital 2 weeks ago he has gained 370g, not as much as I thought he would, but still very good.

His sleeping last night was OK, until the 2am feed, where he proceeded to do a poo in the middle of his feed, so I had to change him when he finished and of course it woke him up, and he then fought off sleep until 4am, so I think all up I got approx 4.5 hours of broken sleep last night, geez I can't wait till he starts to sleep longer periods through the night, 6 hours straight of sleep would be divine about now

*WARNING* one handed typing!!

Thanks to all of u who thought our little man is cute! We think so, but are VERY biased!!

I'm with the rest of u on the wind thing... doesn't it just break ur heart to see them so uncomfortable?

Can't remember who mentioned it now, but I've been getting lots of "well done"-s on the expressing... kinda perplexed by it as I don't know any different - doesn't seem like a big deal to me!!

We had a very fussy night last night too (surprised it wasn't a full moon) but we had a trip to the city yesterday and we figure that it unsettles him a lot so we'll be minimising future trips for the time being.

Lucky for me, we've been getting out of the house most days so I'm not too 'housebound'... DH helps a lot there. We're about to go for a walk to CYH to weigh Liam so I'll report back later on!

Here's hoping the sleep fairy visits all of you!!

hehe yes lets hope that sleep fairy does visit everyon Nettie! I almost named Ryley - Liam but DH wasnt overally keen on it.

Sharon - thanks I think all newborn bubs are cute I just love babies would love more but DH says time to throw in the towel on it... sheesh its like he thinks we have 10 or something! we only have 2.

Anyways hows everyones day been?

I am so struggling now... 4 hrs sleep last night, 2 hrs the night before no sleep during the day as DD who is 3 refuses her daytime naps now, Im exhausted, I had to go into town today to buy sister in law a pressie for her newborn girl today, I was so embaressed by the redness in my eyes and they are all glassy like Im stoned or something! I look terrible, and whats worse I have to go up the hospital this afternoon to see sister in laws new baby and I look and feel horrible! Maybe they will see what cute little babies do to you when the "babymoon" wears off! hehe oh deary me.

Holy hell! Ive only had 6 hrs sleep in 48 hrs!!! no wonder im struggling! woah! I will start hallusinating soon gawd! bring on that sleep fairy - for Ryley too otherwise mumma gets no sleep!

Hi all. Things have been great here for two days. Ci had constipation yesterday which caused some crying but all in all, the night sleeps have been more peaceful and I even took him back to bed with me last night (finally off the fuggin' couch! He had to be inclined and we cosleep so that means I had to be inclined too). He still has to be inclined, but I manage in bed now with some pillows.

For those having troubles showering, take babe with you. They LOVE it, and it can really calm them. Some even love a bath with you. DH sticks him right under the water in the shower and it's like a jungle baby under a waterfall. Check out my birth story (blog link, in my sig) for pics at the bottom of us bathing together. We even have a pic of booby time in the bath.

I had a lot of trouble with dd1 because I wasn't AP at first. I tried to do things without her and life was a nightmare I tried to live around naps, which she fought because she wanted me instead of her lonely cot. This time, we chose a firm AP route and DS is so much more content than DD was. We just sling him and go, he is a part of it all - naps in his sling. I did find, however, that it took a mindset. I had to decide on this lifestyle to stick to it cos sometimes I would love some more me time. But like a gorilla, or meerkat, or any mammal, I'm slingin' em, baby, yeah. Right now, Ci is naked on J's naked chest on the recliner. There is just such a sense of "rightness" this way, you know?
    Anyway, as always, HTH. for those worrying about associations and stuff - what better association could they have than the memory of your loving arms?

Oh, re thrush, be careful. I was convinced I had it with DD too and took all the meds and got so frustrated. Only to go to a decent doc who said her tongue was the tongue of a normal milk fed babe (white covered) and nipple pain and breast pain was also normal as you adjust to feeding for the first 6 or so weeks. I thought I had it this time because of the shooting pains in my breast, so I took some Pau D'arco which is in my Yeast Stat (a herbal). But I still have it so I believe it's let down pain. The white coating in the mouth of a baby with thrush can't be removed, or if it is, it leaves a sore red patch where it was (on the cheek or whatever). Another thing to look for.
    Last edited by Fire; May 9th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Wow so much is happening here

WIND - While i was in hossy a MW recommended warming a teatowel and placing on bubs belly. I find that if Russell wont settle cos of wind on me then a warm tea towel between us really helps. Also carrying him draped over my arm instead of facing up seems to help relieve his wind. and sometimes combining both methods aswell.

Sharon - i know its not recommended to co-sleep in a waterbed, however i have with russell. i just make sure he is either on my chest or the crease of my sholder with my arm supporting the other side and clear the pillows away. havent had any dramas so far(touch wood).

OUr honey moon is over tooo the most trying time for me is between 2 and 4 am as Russell is really unsettled. i think it is the cold weather. he sleeps well generally and am still just demand feeding. He wont take formula unless has no other option. ie low supply due to the infection.

Steph - good to see you are doing well.
    FAK
    AS for us we are doing well and cant complain about my boy, hes feeding well, sleeping ok but think that caffine and choc are out now as i ate some coke and choc and had a chuck bubba for 2 days. DH is great with him and can keep him settled while i shower or cook which is good.

As for excercise i use shopping as an excuse. however house work is excercise too.

Janine - usefull as always with info! thanks

Hi to everyone i missed

Hi Everyone,

Well... I have to take it back. Today my little man has been such a darling and has been sleeping really well. I think I have to put it down to chocolate. I ate about 10 lindt balls over tuesday/wednesday and the witchy period lasted from tuesday night till thursday night. Does that sound about right to anyone? I am thinking that is it as I did not eat anything unusual besides that. (I have not had choc for ages.. went off it while I was pg with him). So I guess chocolate is out for now

Sara - meant to say how lovely your announcement is. Great job!

Steph - Good to hear from you, sounds like everything is going swimmingly...

Danielle - Hope that the thrush gets sorted, sounds very painfull! And we are all with you on the sleep thing. I'm amazed that I am still functioning, and actually dont feel as bad as I think I should. Must be the love keeping me going.

Grubi - I'm with you on the bad snack thing. I'm just finding it so hard to even contemplate making something healthy for myself. Hope that your recovery speeds up soon. Nothing worse than not being able to get out and about. If it makes you feel any better, I had a VB and still have not made it out and about with the pram! Just been getting used to being a mum first, but plan to start getting daily fresh air soon.

Sharon - Hope that Oliver is letting you get loads of sleep today. The witchy times seem to last forever dont they.

Tarnee - Hope the shopping helped your mood... I know it usually works for me.

Nettie - Trips out can be a bit much for my little one too. Especially if they involve other people holding him (something I try to limit as much as possible without seeming like an overprotective mum). Their little nervous systems are so fragile, it can all be too much.

Janine - Good idea with the showering with bubs... just how do you do that exactly. I'm really worried that I'll drop him. Is there some sort of 'shower sling' that you can use? I love my sling, and tend to wear him most of the day. He looks so cute in it, just like I imagine he looked inside. Gets very warm though if I dont keep an eye on him.

Zennie - I'm with you on the caffine and choc... sounds just like what happened with me. I looked at a few pages trying to figure out which foods could be causing the irritability and the list of don'ts was huge. I can't remember who mentioned it, but I could basically only eat rice as I'm a veg and don't eat any meat. Fortunately he's been a dream today, so I'm blaming the chocolate.

Hope that everyone else is still sane!

love

Firstly, let me wholeheartedly agree on the showering thing. Liam hated the bath and so now we shower him. not only is this a good way to clean him, but it calms him right down. so if he's irritable for any reason, we find a nice shower (usually with Dad) does the trick! Jusdt be careful as they can be slippery!!

I like the sounds of that tea towel trick! Although we are already going through so many tea towels with all the cleaning that bottlefeeding and expressing gives u! I use a fresh tea towel each clean up, so I'm already washing them every 2 days!

Someone asked about the bottle in Liam's photo... yes, it's called a Haberman teat and is used for 'special needs' babies because it doesn't take too much effort on their part.

I'm proud to say that Liam has grown 1 cm this week and has put on 200gms... good boy!

Anybody else's babies have vivid dreams? Liam often scares me with his movements, sounds and breathing when he dreams. Although I dream a lot, so maybe it's just us!

A new challenge has presented itself to me and I'm curious to know what you all think...

Liam is quite unsettled at this time of night and usually will cry just minutes after we put him to bed. So I have him in the sling and he seems quite content.

DH has gone out and I find myself needing to 'powder my nose'. Should I put Liam down and hope he doesn't wake or should I wear him to the loo?? What do you all do in this situation??

Very curious...

Shoegal I was reading today that babies should be taking between 120-180mls per kilo per day so if Baxter is 3kg then he should be having between 360 abd 540mls per day - it doesn't matter how much he has in each individual feed, i.e if he has 6 80ml feeds in a day he is getting enough.
    Danielle you are doing more than me - I won't evn mop as someone told me they tore their internal stiches mopping the floor - admittedly that was in the first week after a c-section. My right side gets sore if I do too much - hoping it is because of the cauterisation that I still get the tenderness. I'd be happy if it only hurt when touched. Still thinking I shouldn't be driving yet. I'm lucky DH or MIL cook dinner so I don't have to do that yet. You are doing a stellar job on limited sleep and looking after a toddler too.
    Sorry have to dash DS is whinging will try to get back later - hello to everyone else and hope your night is blissful.

netti- i would wear him. i dont think it dirty at all. no point distressing both you and him while you releave yourself

Yep I'd wear him too (if it's a Mei Tai, watch the straps! :P), he won't remember, and it's not like he's touching anything. What did you do?

Keep him with you, just make sure you wash your hands before touching him.
    I'm curious as to what you did too.

I'm with the others Nettie - keep him with you, just wash your hands. He will be much happier that you have not disturbed him, and it will save you another settling period.

Zennie I'm just too scared to co-sleep in the waterbed.
    Leyla unfortunately for me there was no sleeping for me today, just hoping that he has a 'good' night tonight.
    Nettie the sounds and breathing that bubs makes when sleeping is very normal, Oliver is constantly grunting, breathing fast etc while he is asleep. As for what to do about going to the loo and bubs being in the sling, take him with you, I would because as they get older and starting walking and talking etc they go with you everywhere and it is very rare to be able to go to the toilet in peace

It is now 9.50 and Oliver has been asleep since 5pm and I am wondering, should I just go to bed now and get maybe an half and hour to an hour before he wakes up or do I wait till after his next feed? I will probably wait as I find it more draining when they wake just as you have dropped off to sleep.

What does everyone have planned for mother's day? I don't plan on doing much at all, maybe catching up on some sleep

Good evening all,

Quick chance on the computer while DH gives Baxter a bath.

My sweetie is 1 month old today! I can't believe we have made it already to this milestone.

Sarah - thanks for the offer for the thankyou cards, they are gorgeous but I think I will wait until Baxter's milk pimples have disappeared in a few more weeks. Is this okay with you?

Sharon - having lunch with my parents and DH's parents, should be nice. DH brought me home some flowers today as no florist open around here on Sunday, the card read: "Dear Mum, thanks for looking after me, love Baxter xxx", too cute!

Grubi - thanks for the milk info. We gave him a bottle of EBM the other night of 110ml and he sucked the bottle dry!

Anyone else's baby with milk pimples? They look so ugly on his cute face.

SG
    xo

Shoegal - Yes... my little one has them too. Such a pain, he is such a cutie, and I am only now starting to feel up to taking him out to meet people! He looks cute no matter what, but its still bad timing for his intro to the big wide world. Jack is 4 weeks tomorrow, can't believe he's growing up so fast!

Sharon - I'd wait up too. I hate that groggy feeling you get when you have been woken after only a few minutes sleep. Makes everything seem so hard.

Can anyone explain the witching hour to me? I just don't get it. How can they be fine all day and then have a min-melt-down at the same time each day?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast