Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #3

Meg- my Lila had a little sniffle before her immunizations, and afterwards it developed into a full-on cold... She was alternately sleepy (looong stretches of sleep) and cranky/restless afterwards, I gave her panadol to help with the little fever and the aches that I'm positive she had. It lasted a few days, I'm sure would have been less so had she not been a bit sick beforehand. I'd say just make sure you have some baby panadol around.

grubi, NIS would perhaps nail the problem, but umbilical hernias do often clear on their own. How severe is it? My DD had one and I forgot about it until I realised months or maybe years later that she just didn't have it anymore. I hear this happens a lot. If a lot of bowel was protruding however, it would be worth having it looked at by some kind of practitioner, neurolink or whatnot.

Steph, they probably mean well, those medwives and fruitcakes we deal with on occasion with our babes. They don't keep up to date on the updates in research and pediatric science, much to the detriment of babies. But luckily for your wee one, you listen to your gut, and that will steer you right. My mum raised five of us and was very hands on and nurturing and a little AP really. But even she surprises me with her antiquated ideas sometimes. The other day she told me babies can manipulate you, which was the thought of her generation for sure, but in this day and age we now know this isn't even possible, let alone probable. Babies are short changed, they have one signal - crying. Poor sods. Not only that, but it's the most irritating sound to most people on the planet, and nothing gets under a mama's skin more than the sound of her baby crying. Which is how it was designed. Unfortunately, many babies are abused because the crying is subconsciously interpreted by parents as being able to be controlled by the baby and therefore pushes all their emotional buttons, including anger. We'd all deal much better with the crying if we didn't keep hearing this pseudoscience as to how to treat babies and their motivations.

Well, things suck here. Where I thought I was resigned to having to put him into the cot cos of my back, now it seems I might be stuck slinging. He isn't taking to the cot at all. But I hear to persevere, and cos I don't let him cry, this is going to be long and painful for me. Either that or stick with the slinging until he isn't so little and vulnerable.

Well i am about 2 days behind however thats due to doc visits and lack of sleep. Russell is still waking every 2hours in the morning. will sleep for a good 5-6 hours in the early evening but after that its every 2 hours till dawn . i am so tired and out of ideas to get him to sleep longer. hes also sleeping less during the day and mostly naps for an hour or so then is up and playing. i will say that hes pretty happy during the day and not overly demanding. will play on his own with me or just sit quietly with me so cant ask for much more than that.

Fire - could you try transitioning him while hes awake for short periods untill he gets used to the space?

bbl8r- my boys still outta whack from his shots

just a quickie for me, DH has just called me for dinner.

Oliver went to Community Nurse today, and he has put on 300g in 2 weeks, grown, 3cm since birth, all in all his doing really well, and she said to just keep doing what i'm doing and he will go back to settling himself shortly (hopefully)

BBL

Glad everything went well Sharon, good on ya Oliver for being a good boy!
    BJ has just totally changed back to my perfect boy.
    Had a feed at 8am today, back in bed til 12pm, up and out of the house til 3:30pm, home, 100ml boobie, top up off the breast then 100ml formula (we've changed to heinz nurture gold instead of s26AR as it was constipating him), then asleep by 5pm, and we are still waiting (9:56pm) for him to wake for another feed before we go to bed!!!
    Catch up tomorrow!

Ok, I've snuck on here while Liam's asleep - but he's bound to wake up any second!

As far as AF goes, I've got my first one now. I had nearly 6 weeks of bleeding post-birth though - then two weeks of nothing, then first AF. Probably doesn't help that I'm only expressing and don't have DS at the breast. *sigh*

Big self praise here - I'm so proud that I've got to the 2 month stage of BF by expressing! Lots of people tell me it's a big deal to go this long, but I keep reminding myself that Liam will recover better from his surgery (when he has it) if I BF as long as I can. Proven fact there! Still having some supply issues (and we supp with FF once a day) but have got some options. Have just begun some herbal tea (Morelife Fenugreek Flow - I think it's called) and am having my Activite milkshakes as often as I can get the time to make them. Just finished a course of Motilium which helped a lot. Dr will give me anothe prescription if I need it. Will see how I go this week. At least it gave me the opportunity to freeze a few batches for when my supply drops.

Frankly - I'm lost about doing personals... can't keep track of everyone anymore! There's a lot of us here now!! I don't think many of us have the time to respond to everyone who posts so can we have some sort of consensus that we won't be harsh to anyone who can't provide personal messages to every member? We love you all, honestly!!

DH has been thinking about us taking Liam to the Chiro... I'm pretty much convinced that it would be a good idea (at least it can't hurt) so I'm hoping DH will agree soon. Although we've got a pretty sweet and easygoing boy here. I'm so lucky!

Our cycle is pretty much: 2.5 - 3 hrly feeds (but sometimes can be only 1.5 - 2 hrs) of around 80 mls of EBM. Gets grizzly and tired around 5pm as he only really naps during the day with lots of awake time. He sleeps best in our arms, but does ok in bed too - just not as long a sleep. We give him a FF around 9 pm and usually after that feed he sleeps for 5-6 hrs (but not for the last two nights!!). Then around 5am he gets really snuffly and restless and usually DH will get up and sit with him in the recliner and sleep (a bit) so he can breathe better. Anyone have any suggestions for easing his 'snuffles'? Someone told us Vicks - but we can't find an 'infant' variety. Not sure if one exists?

I read 2 and a half pages of posts tonight so I can't remember what everyone was reporting on now I remember that Baxter's doing well with his weight gain - well done! Honestly - my head is like a sieve... can't remember anything else I was going to comment on! Sowwy!

Will try to come in again tomorrow and be more caring/sharing!

*mwah* to all

Nettie I think we should all understand that there is just no way that we can reply to every single post, so I think as long as we all get a mention every so often (just so that we don't start to feel like we are invisible) that's fine.
    Babywrangler glad to hear that BJ is back to being your good boy again.

I'm not BF and haven't done since day 2, and I still don't have AF, wonder where she is, just around the corner probably.

I am still up, but not because of Oliver, but because my BF came over tonight and we did some scrapbooking, there was a cybercrop on and I really enjoyed myself, and will probably make the effort and go over to her place for 3 or so hours tomorrow and get some more layouts done, it was nice to start to get back into the swing of things as I just haven't done much for quite a while.

Morning All,

Everyone doing good here. We go to see Kung Fu Panda on Sunday kids are all excited.

Nettie: I'm with you... we are all very busy mums and as much as we would like to have time to responed to everyone, we just dont have that much time. I'll responed/have input for others if I have experinced something simlar, or I win lotto and I can sit on computer all day.

On the Whole AF situation I stopped bleeding after 2 weeks and still waiting for first to come. Wyatt is now 7 weeks. But am still brestfeeding him. A girlfriend of mine didn't have AF for almost 3 and half years. She had DD then waited for AF to come, it didn't for 7 months she went to DR and they told her she was 3 months preg again.

Were all different and it will come when our bodies are ready. Me I just to lose my tubby tummy.

Cheers
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah_dobbo2; June 14th, 2008 at 09:01 AM.

HI All,
    Benjamin has had a great night. ended up sleeping from 5pm til 11:30pm last night, had a feed and (DH did it) then was setled again by abuot 11:50.
    Woke at 4:00 and had 110ml formula, then was carrying on a bit about 4:30 so had another 70ml, then again 20 min later still carrying on, had another 80ml, and has been asleep (other than poo grunting) ever since...I wouldnt have thought 250ml would fit in his little tummy!!!
    EBM for the day today, then formula, but we'll see how that goes, 2 evenings in a row he's had the ebm then had to be topped up with formula cause he just wasn't happy!
    We may end up switching over totally...we'll see.
    DH is determined to return with a new car today...just a matter of which deal (he has 3 to choose from) works out best and what colour it is!
    Routine wise, BJ doesn't have one (and is sleeping better as a result!) he feeds roughly 4 hourly during the day, but it all depends what time he wakes as to what time they are! (suits me fine for now), the one thing we have noticed is he seems to have a big sleep from about 3 or 4 til about 6 or 8 which is great cause we are getting nice hot meals at a decent time!

Thinking more and more about it, I wish there was a breast milk bank in vic....soo much may well go to waste!

Morning ladies.

Well I managed to get online yesterday to read all the posts - but was interrupted by either Luke or DH when I wanted to respond!!! Grrrr to DH - Luke can't help it! Luke had a pretty good day yesterday - not sleeping much during the day, seems to have reverted to power napping and frequent feeding, but went down at 11pm and slept through to 7.20am so I really can't complain. That was pretty much his pattern for the fortnight before the long weekend and it was great! hoping that his growth spurt/unsettled period is over and he will calm down again.

BW new car is cool!!! Saw that you mentioned the adventra - very jealous - we nearly bought one of these, but found out that they had been discontinued so didn't - I think that given they are a holden you would still get parts no worries but DH is a car freak and refused - ended up with a sedan which is lovely, but I wanted the wagon!

Sharon yay for Ollie putting on weight and growing nicely. Good job mum!

Nettie I hear you on your brain being a seive. I am back at work in 3 weeks and starting to wonder how I will cope with thinking again.

Grubi I have come to the conclusion that it is a combination of greater stimulation and being a bit hungrier. At night though I think he is sucking for comfort so I have been making sure that he has both sides for 20 mins each (at least) and then settling him. Seems to be working better!

On that note, who has returned to work?? any tips on how best to cope with BF'ing and full time work. Also, any tips on how to best help Luke cope with the loss of his mummy?? I am really worried about my little man and how this will affect him. FInding that DH doesn't really get it, probably because he doesn't get to spend the days with him.

Re AF - someone was talking about it - haven't seen it yet. Hoping not too!!! I am on the mini pill now though.

Shellbell. I returned to work fulltime at 4 months with DS and in the weeks leading up to going back I began expressing so I had some frozen EBM just in case things didn't work out. I was lucky that I had an office and could close the door to express whenever I got a letdown back then - not so this time. In WA at least and I would expect all over is the same they have to give you breaks and a place to express in the workplace - being a government agency they should be accommodating with that. Get an electric (or battery) breast pump - to make it easier on yourself - I had the NUK one. Arrange with your boss how much time you can have for expressing and workout what is best. Try to work out now what Luke's feeding pattern is and try to stick closely to that - not that it will be possible. Don't know you care situation, leave EBM for Luke whilst you are not there and BF when he is with you. If you are able to get him brought to you at lunchtime for a feed - do that too.
    As for the loss of mummy - the younger they separate the less anxiety they have about it as they haven't developed too much memory yet. Most important is that they have consistency with the person who is looking after them. You'll notice it more later on when he gets older and has the separation cries when you leave him in care. My DS has been in fulltime care since 3 1/2 months and he is a lot better with being left with other people than other kids because he doesn't have a huge separation issue.

PS Forgot to mention that I continued to use EBM and BF exclusively for 2 1/2 months, then gradually introduced formula during day and continued to BF at night and on weekends until 14 months - could have continued, but chose to stop.

Forgot who mentioned it, Nettie I think, there is an infant vicks - remember getting it in my Bounty bag 3 years ago with DS, it was a small pink tin, will see if I still have it anywhere and let you know what it is if I find it.
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; June 14th, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add information

BW - it would be great to be able to donate that to someone else... it is such hard work to express to just throw it down the drain....

Shellbell - back to work!!!!!!!! i couldn't even think about going back to work in three weeks!!! thank goodness for maternity pay!

Thanks Grubi - I wonder if I'll get some infant vicks in my final Bounty bag? Must go & get that today! I looked for it at the chemist, but couldn't see it.

I've put a link to our gallery in my sig - there's new pictures of Liam if you're interested. Including one we all 'Jungle Boy' with him in the shower! I think it was Janine who first said something about babies in the shower being like in a waterfall in the jungle.. ? Anyway, it stuck in my head so now we call him 'Jungle boy' when he's in the shower because he leans back into the water so his head gets wet - just loves it!

Sharon & Sarah - glad to know I'm not alone with the 'personals' issue. Thanks!

Shell - Can't fathom working yet! I'm not due back until mid-Sept but will be going back full-time and that's hard to think about yet!

Hope we all have a good day today!

YAY DH bought a new car (well secondhand), a nice blue Adventra!
    We get it on tuesday!
    Of course, I won't be able to drive it til we get the car seat man out to re-fit the seat!

Still weighing up the ebm issue...BJ had a major hissy fit at the shops today cause his emb wasn't warm enough (plus he technically wasn't due for about an hour and a half) but there wasn't much to do about it, it was cold or nothing....It just isn't satisfying him for as long as he should be going...plus he seems happier drinking the formula.

I think in a way I'm only holding on to the BFing EBM part cause I don't want to waste it!!

Nettie- on getting to the 2 month mark with EBM. Its hard. How much are you making? I'm averaging 30ish mls an hour per breast. Not that I express that often. I'm trying to get my supply up, so I've been drinking fenugreek/raspberry leaf tea and taking flaxseed capsules. I think its helping. Am trying to get her back on the breast exclusively but its kind of touch and go. Sometimes I get really down and think I just can't do it anymore, but I get stuck in and do it anyway. One week at a time, weeks turn into months. That's my mantra for the feeding. Lila has sniffles, too. I don't know what to do for it other than the saline drops (loosens up the muck and kind of dries it out) followed by a good swab with a cotton bud. And I have her in the bathroom in the steam while I shower.

Zennie- Lila was like that for ages up until about ten days ago. Drove me nuts. I still race to bed every time I have her down for fear I won't get another sleep ever again. I don't know what made it change, but it did and now she sleeps unbroken 7-12 hours a night usually. I got up with her in the early morning once the past week. I just tell myself that it won't always be like this, and try to stay just in the present moment and it kind of helps. That said, I have had times where I cried and nearly threw Lila at her father because I was so tired and out of it and exhausted I couldn't stand her any more. Hang in there, I guess.

Janine- my back hurts too. She never sleeps during the day and is only calm if she's close to me. I can't get anything done unless I sling her, but I can't do it for more than a few hours at a time cause it kills my back. Like you said, persevere. I tell myself it will all pay off eventually, and hey I don't have to listen to her screaming. When I was at my wits end a few weeks ago I did a search and found a study that looked at crying in the first year, and overwhelmingly it showed that how much a baby cries in the first 6 months sets the pattern for how much they cry in the second 6 months. Could be completely off, whatever, but I think of that and it helps. I really don't buy the "manipulation" school of thought, either. Seriously. She can't even hold her head up for more than a few seconds, how is she going to be clever enough to manipulate me? It smacks of projection a little bit. Like how people tend to attribute human characteristics to their pets. When i put her down and she gets upset and cries I think of how she doesn't know she isn't alone and she doesn't know there aren't wild beasts just waiting to pounce on her the second she leaves the protective parental arms. Poor wee thing. Manipulation might start to come into play a few months down the road, but for pete's sake our babies are still womb-fresh. heh, sorry, not preaching, I'm thinking of that nasty woman at the dr's office.

BabyWrangler- we don't have much of a routine either. I couldn't say when she feeds or how much, I just take her as she comes. And you know, I have such a giggly, smiley contented little thing. Routines are overrated. The thing I've found with Lila and the EBM is sometimes she just has a normal feed (90 or so mls) and is happy as larry for hours and hours. Then other times she has one, has another, has another, has another and just when I think there is no way she can cram more milk in her little tummy she'll have another. I doubt it has something to do with your milk not satisfying him, it might be that he just has insatiable periods during the day. The other thing is, I notice my milk is thicker when I'm eating more fatty foods- bacon and eggs with hot buttered toast, that kind of thing. And I try to express regularly, even if she hasn't fed. About every 3-4 hours, more often lately because I'm trying to get my supply up. Maybe that would help?

Lisylee- Lila gets those spots like little ant-bites on her face every now and then. It looks awful but doesn't seem to bother her so I'm not fussed. I think I traced it to my chocolate intake, so I'm a little careful with it now...?

About Af- had a little one about two weeks ago and now a big one. I guess my body just needs some time to work itself out, but it kind of freaks me out having another one so soon, I've been 28 days regular since I was 12. We'll see. Am on the mini-pill.

The past few days I've taken a little sigh of relief mixed with worrying it will all come crashing down soon. But I've been able to get some good sleep at night, have been able to spend a little time being a wife, have been keeping up with the house and washing (mostly) and making dinner almost every night. It feels really good, hope it lasts but don't expect it to. And no sign of pnd, was so worried and prepared for it to raise its ugly head. I just get homesick for my mum in Texas every so often.

Belle - it vaties a lot, but I usually express anywhere from 50 mls to 150 mls each time (both breasts). I was on meds to help supply, but have finished them and found my supply has dropped dramatically May have to ask the Dr for an ongoing supply... I'm now trying some herbal tea called 'Fenugreek Flow' which has fenugreek, fennel & anise in it. We'll see if it helps! Liam has around 80 mls each feed and I express every time he eats and sometimes I don't get as much as he's used that feed which gets me down a bit. Thanks for the congrats though... At least I've managed to freeze a few batches from when I was on the meds.

I realised yesterday that the reason Liam might be waking up so often is that he might be cold. So we've begun wrapping him warmly and he's sleeping a lot longer! It worries me that he's too hot though and I have no idea how to judge this - does anyone have any suggestions? He's like both me and DH and sweats when he sleeps so it's hard to tell if he's overly warm or if it's just the sleep-sweats (does that make any sense???).

Here's wishing everyone a good restful night.

Nettie, that pic is SO cute, of jungle boy. Cracked me up. About temperature, you can get sleeping bags (grobag) that come with a temp thingy on them, to check the temp of the room. You get grobags of 0.5, 1 or 2.5 TOG. 2.5 would be for winter, and I think it's for room temps of 16 - 20. 20 - 24 is the 1 TOG. Ebay sells them cheaply, otherwise they can fetch $70. I want one, all I know who use them say their babies love them. You can also get a grobag egg, which is a room temp thingy. I had read that babies like the air temp to be 25 degrees, or wrapped to that temp. Others say sleeping in 16 degrees is ideal. Maybe it's both. I keep Ci pretty warm anyway.

We had a routine, we didn't make it, Ci did, but now not so much. Because I'm feeding him on waking and then again on sleep, he has two feeds in one hour sometimes because of it. This has thrown me all out of whack. Also trying to get him to nap in the cot means he keeps waking, and has about six naps a day cos we can't get him to settle until the next half hour. It sucks. I like routine, I like knowing what's coming next. Not before I had kids, but since kids, definitely.

Steph, I'm really over slinging, not slinging so much as him napping in the sling. I've found a few threads on BB with women desperate to get the kid out of the sling for naps, so it's common. I try and comfort myself with the good bits, like I did when starting out with all those probs bfing. Unlike Bfing which got better, sling naps are wearing thin!

It's suddenly really cold these days and our heater is broken. Yay.

Hmmm I think i am the only who is is not getting huge amounts of sleep!!!

We have had a few nights of 6hrs but she does that from like 6-12 so doesnt really help with sleep. Other then that of late she has been feeding every 3- 4 hrs.

I felt so drained the other night i tired to give her some forumla caus ei was sure she was hungry and she wouldnt take it at all. But she ended up going to sleep fine so mustnt have been hungry

I am so so disappointed in my weight atm though. Im not losing anything (if anything am gaining) I try so hard to eat healthy but i get so so starving and sometimes with all 3 kids i just dont have the time to make something so i snack

Ok now they are fighting again better be off

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast