Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born April 2008 #3

Hi All,
    Just a quick update (again).
    BJ DID A POO AND DIDN'T SCREAM!
    It was a run of the mill pastey formula poo and he just did grunted and did it, it was huge too, filled a nappy, then kept going when I was changing him so we applied a "catcher" and he filled that too!
    He then had awake time for about an hour before a 20 minute doze in the car, then played with DH's stepdad for about an hour (smiling and talking!), then had 100ml of formula, burped and went to bed settling himself with only 2 dummy returns.
    We have all but officially decided he is now a formula bub...we were using the s26 sachets (which I bought for hospital in case my milk didnt come in), a bit was coming back up though, so I popped out before and bought a tin of the s26 AR for infants with reflux and we'll see how that goes.
    We will definately still be going to the Paed asap, but I'm happy the BJ seems to be improved.
    Chances are its the reduction in Zantac, but I don't wanna risk anything!

On the bed thing:- Wyatt has been in his bassinette an in our room, I've done the bed thing but we are out of that now DH almost SQUASHED him so not again until his bigger.

However i have been thinking we will have 2 more the old 2 kids rooms over, and then put up cot for Wyatt. He will last at least another 2-3 weeks in his bassinette. Am bit scared as he will share with DS and not sure if he will try to get Wyatt out or if Wyatt will wake him during the night.

WE have to re-paint feature wall. I would like to get proper built-in done fits so I have room to put stuff. They have wardrobe now but would like to get new ones in there. I would also like to decorate the boyz room to make feel more boyish. I already have mobile on the ceiling. Also with pooh bear picture in frames on walls. Any one have any other idea's ???

Well everything fine here. Could do with more sleep and more time to be able to get stuff done. How is everyone else doing???

Cheers
    Sarah

I lost my post. Good though, because I'm not in a good place right now. I'm really struggling emotionally with this whole thing. I can't get him to nap anywhere but in teh sling and my back is killing me. I also can't get him to settle when he is really tired and needing to sleep unless he is bounced on teh fitball. Its doing me in. I tried several times to put him in teh cot today and once he puked and was face first in it (he is a bit pukey so it's not safe on his back), and te others simply didn't take.

We cosleep at night which is fine, no complaints about that, he is behaving like a normal bfed baby at night with his frequent feeds. But during the day, I'm not sure whether to wait it out until he is older for the cot thing, or get him into the swing of it before he is too old. Actually, either way, I can't cope with the slinging/bouncing anymore, I actually bounce through most of his naps, just to keep moving. If I stop moving, he wakes. It totally sucks and I'm getting nothing done because my back hurts too much to do stuff while holding him.

So I'm trying to work out how to transition him without damaging him and it's doing my head in. Anyway, just thought I'd check in cos I've been away for a while feeling quite low and desperate.

I've read a little bit, not totally caught up, but I hope you are all doing ok, at least better than me.

Best wishes xx

Fire, there is a thing you can get its a vibration machine that goes under the legs of the cot and shakes it...maybe that would help?!
    Try an ebay search, you may be able to get one cheaply

Aah ok, did a quick search, its called a LullaBub and there are about 5 listed on ebay at the moment.
    Hope thats helpful.
    Last edited by BabyWrangler; June 9th, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: more details for Fire

Thanks BW. I can't find it though, even in a google search. Do you know what they are called?

Fire sounds like your Ci and my Greer and a lot alike. The days are doing my head in too. MCHN said be kind on yourself for the first 3c months - but make sure that you get to the cot between 3-6 months as that is when they make their memories of sleep associations.
    No time right now for any more writing be back later.

Looks good BW, I will show DH. We hve a motion junkie, that's for sure.

Grubi, it sucks, eh. At the moment, being kind to me means Ci comes off second best, so we're at an impasse. So far he's in the lead, but I don't know how much longer my body will hold out.

Fire how does he go in a rocker chair? at least that way you can relax a little and just rock the chair (even with your foot!)
    I've been very lucky with BJ (sorry guys!), I was determined to make sure he could settle on his own etc, which has gone quite well (except during his hysterical times due to whatever is wrong with him!)

I wish I could have had your determination BW, I'm either lazy or unable to deal with the requirements of getting Greer to settle on her own. Fire I know what you mean about your body and with the c-section I'm finding the constant carrying too much to deal with. I really have no advise for you, especially since i'm doing it all wrong anyway!! LOL!

Havent been keeping up, so much going on on this thread... Lila's been off and on. She had a little bit of a cold and I took her in for 2 mo. immunizations and she's been sick ever since. Kind of going nuts over the sleeping thing. Still doesn't sleep during the day, and when I spoke to a midwife the other day she told me to put her in her cot and let her scream, that she needs to sleep during the morning and the afternoon. Sorry, not doing that. She dozes in the sling, and that lets me get some housework done so ok. Pretty steamed at the GP in general because they sort of ridiculed everything I'm doing, from the cloth nappies to the EBM. Pfft. I hope everyone is getting more sleep than me, just had to poke my head in and say hello and that I'm thinking of you all- we're going through the same things and that thought really keeps me going at 3am.

grubi and fire, how come us c-sec women are the ones who seem to be carrying the babies 24-7?! (well not quite 24-7, but i did a log of our day recently and found i'd carried dd for over 8 hours). it seems so unfair, given the fact that we've recently been sliced through the middle and our backs aren't really up to the job.

fire i sympathise with your feelings of exhaustion, i have them periodically myself. i've also tried to get dd to nap on the bed, but last time it was so spectacularly unsuccessful that i decided to put it on hold for a bit. still, i feel really jealous of those who can use their babies' nap time to do things that i struggle to do with the sling on (clean, play with ds, sit in a chair and put my feet up!!). most days i eat all three meals with the sling on and sometimes i get SO SICK OF IT!

bw glad to hear things are improving.

all right gotta go jiggle this grumpy baby around. stupid cold has made her really unhappy and she's struggling to get to sleep.

Baby wrangler (this is going to sound very strange but) Congrats on the Poo!! Funny how these things make us feel better

BabyWrangler Ollie can have anywhere from 80ml to 140ml, he averages around 620ml in a 24 hour period, for his weight though he should probably be on more but I think that the thickened formula fills him up more, therefore he doesn't need as much to feel full IYKWIM. I'm glad that the formula and reduced Zantac seems to have worked for you but sad for you because of all that EBM that you have in your freezer, but as long as BJ is happy that is all that matters in the long run. Oh, and woohoo on his poo! I was also going to ask if you had him on thickened formula and after reading on learned that you did Good idea to still see the Paed though.
    sarah_dobbo2 I suppose if I was decorating a room for a toddler and a baby boy I would probably go for a car or plane theme.
    Fire sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time getting Ci to sleep, other than getting a swing/rocker for the daytime sleeps or what BW suggested sounded good.
    alittlegrubi sorry to hear you are having problems getting Greer to sleep too, it would be extremely exhausting and depressing for you.
    bellelass your are not doing everything wrong, you are looking after your bubs the best way you can, there is no right or wrong way it's a matter of finding something that 'works' for you and your baby, and pffft to any Dr who tells you otherwise. for you too

Had a FANTASTIC time at the movies with GF today, the movie was just fabulous, would have nice if our other friends who saw it yesterday had told us to take a box of tissues because we needed them, I had to make 1 tissue last me the entire movie, well 2 hours of it and it looked very tattered and torn by the end of the movie. My friend hardly ever goes to the movies because she can't stand 'crinklers' (think chip packets) well we need not have worried about that, i'm just not surprised that someone didn't yell out 'will those 2 ladies sniffling and sobbing please shut up!'.

Sharon - I'm going next Friday with two GF's to SATC, then dinner and drinks afterwards. I am a huge fan but think I am more excited about wearing make up and heels instead of no slap and trackies for a change!

Janine -

SG
    xo

Oh Steph! What a bunch of a$$es. Someone ought to inform these child "care" people that child development psychology long ago poo poo'd crying it out, for God's sake! They also should have told you she shouldn't get shots while sick. It takes a big whack on the immune system to deal with those injections, they need to be in top form to have the best chance of no side effects. Hugs to you, I hope Lila is better soon.

MGM, I hear ya, it sucks big time. But like my AP (vigilante) advocates keep reminding me, you can't "see" the benefits of babywearing. At least not immediately. It's all personal sacrifice up front. Unlike breastfeeding you can see that sometimes immediately cos your kid won't get sick as often (so they say) but with babywearing, it is just that extra attachment thing that makes all the developmental difference - cling to that when desperate, as I do! Still, even knowing that, I'd love to have a darn break anyway!

BW, we're getting those leg rocker things. lullababy. Thanks for the referral, I'll keep you posted on progress. I'm putting together a package "settling" deal for DS, and once I have it all together, it will be settling time around here! I'm getting white noise womb sounds, a sleeping bag, a wedge for the cot, a wedge for side lying (what are they called so I can search ebay for them), a new organic cot mattress (that has nothing to do with settling, but we are getting one), a silky blanky and a copy of the No Cry Sleep Solution, dammit! Time to get some naps around here.

I had tried a rocker but he told me to bash that. He seems startled whenever he isn't on a body. Poor little sod.

Last night was rough, he puked out of his nose and did the constant startle reflex thing they do when totally horrified. It was tough to watch. But afterwards he just tucked into some more boob, and then more, and some more please. milk hog. No wonder he pukes. I swear he eats more at night than during the day cos he uses it to resettle all night.

Thanks Shoe. I'm having an ok morning. Here's hoping I can keep it up (my mood that is, cos I can't bank on anything with Ci).

Hi Fire,
    Does he have a dummy? you may find that will help him settle too (BJ has one, but he pretty much only has it at sleep time).
    Try searching for anti-roll pillow there are a few different styles (we have 3 different ones that were given to us from various people!).
    If you don't get too many show up, try just searching for pillow in the "baby" category.
    If you want any help let me know (Im a bit of an ebay junkie!), just drop me a pm, or email me
    [email protected]

On a personal note for us:
    We have removed Zantac from the mix completely. He'd had a dose about 4am yesterday and then I think we accidently skipped one, he's had a really good day, then when he had his dose at about 6pm, and it all went to crap, the crampy look, the crying, the not sleeping, the straining.
    On much deeper investigation, hundreds and hundreds of people report the same reactions from their kids, and then have shifted to I think its losec?.
    We are going to the Chiropractor this arvo to have him adjusted (chiros can work wonders for reflux apparently), and the Paed on thursday.
    We are keeping him off the Zantac til thursday to see how he goes.
    I think the lower does moves through his system faster though, because at midnight he went to sleep and slept right through til 6, I put his dummy in, he went back to sleep til 7:30, had a feed, was back asleep at 8:15, and now, at nearly 11am, he's still asleep!
    Will have to see how the rest of the day goes!

BW have you tried that Zantac? I did when it was prescribed for DS and no bloody wonder they react. We used infant Gaviscon and an osteopath - similar to chiro for DS and by 10 weeks he was great.

BTW do you think that the changes to Ebay are going to have a big impact?
    I think once people selling work out that they are not protected wit Paypal the postage will go up or the sellers will stop using it, probably the first, being that they have to use Express Platinum satchels to be covered so a 5.30 satchel becomes an 11.90 satchel. Would you still buy?
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; June 10th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.

I tend to buy only from my local area so I collect most things.
    Some Sellers will be willing to wear the risk too though.
    We'll see.
    The thing is though, that if they overcharge for postage, it will be reflected in their feedback anyway, because they cannot leave negative feedback for buyers in retaliation anymore which I think is awesome. There have been times for me where a transaction has been AWFUL for me as a buyer, but I've had to leave positive feedback because I didnt want falsly negative feedback left for me.

BJ has had a MUCH better day today, only getting crabby when he was overtired!!
    The Chiropractor moved his tummy down, and diaphragm across, both of which should either fix, or at least help the reflux...the rest of his issuses should now settle.
    And yes, I tried Zantac and nearly threw up!
    We had him on gaviscon, and thats how all this started, it constipated him terribly (and I'm talking golf ball size, and solidness!) so he was taken off that and put on Zantac.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast