Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born April 2008 #4

Aah Bj is back in fine form.
    Im soo proud of him, he moved through his ordeal so smoothly!
    Since coming home he's had 2x3hour naps (settling himself with his dummy etc), 2x110ml formula (maybe a tad more), his medication, a GREAT playtime (he's usually only up for an hour between naps, unless we're in the car), played with DH after his bottle, sat in his rocker while we ate dinner (I picked him up a couple of times but he was then happy to get back in it), then had a play in his little house (playmat with toys hanging over top and a little roof on it), AND the cat (bless her little heart) let him pat her a few times over about 10 minutes! About an hour and a half in total, then changed, wrapped, dummy in and settled himself again...
    Oh yeah, and how ironic is this:
    Bj was in hospital for 48 hours getting treatment and getting better...then I wake up this morning with a cold....all those germs in the hospital...I hadn't left there since thursday!
    Oh well...with a bit of luck it won't last long!

I don't mind as long as BJ stays healthy.

Thankyou to all of you for your thoughts and messages, and of course big thankyou to Kat for passing it all on (sorry about the late nights!!)

BW - welcome home! Glad BJ's better.

MGM - Liam's done the same thing with laying quietly and going to sleep - but I just don't know how to replicate it! I'm guessing it's just a matter of timing? Love to learn that secret - I can tell you!!

Janine - the hammock sounds like a great idea! Hope your back is recovering now

Belle - Liam didn't "love" the shower at first either - he looked kinda scared to tell the truth, but now he absolutely loves it and cries when we take him out (he'd stay in all day if we let him - but there's something called a drought?! ) Give her time and she'll probably love the shower!

To reassure everyone - Liam only naps in the day too - sometimes only 10 - 20 mins in the bassinette. But when we pick him up again he's straight back to sleep - just wakes up when we put him in bed! Sometimes I'm lucky and we get and hour or so - but not usually much longer than that during the day.

I'm keen on any cot-transition tips as we went to IKEA today and bought the cot (yay!) - now we've just got to put it together wish us luck! we'll try to have a go at it tomorrow! Also went to Harbour Town and got some cute clothes! Got 2 jackets from Pumpkin Patch that are adorable! One is furry on one side but is reversible and has musical notes & symbols on the other side which I just love! MIL also went and bought him heaps of clothes including one that says "I fart like my daddy" - ha ha ha.

If Liam isn't awake by 10 - I'm going to bed! Just in case it's his 'sleep through'. He didn't get much sleep today though because we were in and out of the car and sling in town... so hopefully he has some good sleeps tonight!

Hi girls

Just checking in. Baxter was given the all clear by his opthalmologist but he wants to see him in 2 months time, just as a precaution.

He's being really fussy on the boob, might get him checked out by a chiro or osteopath, what's the difference?

SG
    xo

PS - glad to hear BJ is on the mend BW.

feeling lost - DH has taken Luke to his parents for the afternoon. So far I have packed for my trip (Luke and I going to QLD tomorrow to visit my nan), had a sleep, cleaned up and now I am playing on the internet. Having a lovely time, but starting to miss my little man!

Glad things are good again BW.

Anyone here on the Gold Coast, btw?

Ci woke up crying this morning, half an hour early. He did a big poo so maybe that was it. I have bicarb on his head cos his cradle cap may be infected with a fungus as he is itching it like mad - fresh blood every morning.

He gets SO restless around dawn, it drives me nuts. I just can't imagine how he'd be if he was in his own bed at that time, I'd be up and down for hours. Yesterday's naps were shockers. Maybe we'll strike a good day today then.

Fire rosa does the same thing around dawn - kicking, thrashing, then a big poo. Sometimes I manage to resettle her after; sometimes not. Either way she sleeps very lightly in the morning and the slightest noise or movement wakes her up. DS was exactly the same. He's a heavy sleeper now but it took years... That cradle cap sounds bad. Isn't it caused by a fungus anyway? I cured Ds's with an essential oil/almond oil blend from 'The fragrant pharmacy' that's kind of an all-purpose mix for babies.

colds, colds, colds, we all have them, and as soon as someone gets better they catch another one. i am SO tired of them!

We had to go to the doctor this morning after a weekend of snuffly noses, power chucking every other feed and generally needing to be held constantly. Greer has a temperature of 37.8 today and has been given a course of antibiotics, doctor said if she doesn't improve with those within 48 hours to take her to the children's hospital. It always seems to be that we notice the illnesses in this house late Sunday when you really only have emergency rooms to go to and I try to avoid that.

Because she is sick she is sleeping so I'm off to get some things done around the house before I have to spend hours holding her.

Hi Sarah how is Wyatt doing? Molly is going well, i have had 2 good nights in a row so i am hoping that this is the new pattern! We had 8&1/2 hrs and 7&1/2hrs so if we do continue like that we will be very happy.

Shelley noworries matie just happy htat BJ is home and settling well for you. Take care and hopefully we will cath up on MSN again soon.

Hi to everyone else hope you are all getting some good nights now after all your littlies having their needles

Grubi,
    That is not good to hear. I hope greer is better in no time. I know what you mean, I hate going to the emergency rooms, there are tonnes of people maily from sport injury. But you never know what germs they are carrying which our babies might get. Me personal, I think hosipitals should employ a policy where babies under 12m are first in ASAP.

SNAP:Ok so update, Wyatt he now goes to bed by him self, and half away. (drunk boobie face awake) He cry's for Mummy to come and get him, but this mummy is saying NO. There is nothing wrong with him, so your fine. And have done this since Saturday, and now he is sleeping for 2hrs or more during day today.

Kat: For the last 2 nights in a row we have had the same thing as you. Wyatt went for 7hr before waking up for his boobie. I still woke up at 12 just to check make sure he was ok.
    *Granted I could have killed him a few days ago, as he was always falling asleep in my arms, and would wake up when he realise he wasn't in them anymore. So have employed above tactic, which seems to be working thus far.

Cheers
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah_dobbo2; June 23rd, 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Sarah, isn't he a bit little to be crying it out? Our littlies really need us for a while longer to hold them to sleep. It is a lot to expect a baby to soothe themself to sleep, they have more needs than just physical ones, but you can do the half awake thing so they don't "fall asleep in bed and wake in the bathtub" as Dr Sears says, it just takes a little longer and isn't as jarring on them. Studies have shown CIO causes them to just "give up" and lose hope and trust, that isn't the same as having a naturally sleepy baby. I'd hate for you to learn that when it's too late, like I did with DD. I think BB has some articles and alternatives, and Elizabeth Pantley has a book called the No Cry Sleep Solution which is working wonders on sleep associations. No judgment, I'm the last one to be able to judge, just said with love from someone who had to heal her child from controlled crying.

So I have worked up to Ci doing a two hour nap per day in the cot. I consider that success. So our routine now is sling through the morning nap, cot for the late morning nap, cot for the early arvo nap, and for this quickie nap around dinner time I sling him again to make sure he has had enough time in-arms. I feel a bit weird, truth be told, with not holding him as much, and have found myself staying on the hammock with him through some naps and reading my book.

I am reading this book: The Vital Touch: How Intimate Contact With Your Baby Leads To Happier, Healthier Development which is an AMAZING book. I wish I knew it existed months ago. It explains so much about babies that almost no other book touches on. Their inbuilt need for touch, and experiment results on when they don't get it (such as our culture), and all that other juicy stuff that I love. Helps me stay motivated with my commitment to stay connected with my children, and boy, can I use that motivation at the moment.

Cot naps mean I'm not online as much and have almost finished my baby blanket (crochet). It's so nice, I love it, it's made of bamboo and is so soft.

I think someone asked me a question a while back and I neglected to answer it. Sorry about that if I did. The baking soda has made Ci's head look better but he still lunges at it to scratch. Drives me nuts overnight. I have to hold his arm down beside him. If this doesn't eventually do the trick, I'll move up to antifungals like teatree and whatnot, or perhaps buy a cradlecap solution.
    Last edited by Fire; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Maybe its just my baby, but the only proof I need to know that constant contact is good is to look at how calm and sunny and relaxed my Lila is. We don't co-sleep much, but during the day she is always touching one of us. Seems like a lot of women my mother's age and older think that handling a baby that way is right next door to obscene or something. Today we were at the grocery and several older women had something to say to me about my calm, sleeping cherub. Everything from I'm spoiling her (A NEWBORN?) to she's going to fall out (as if). I just nod and smile.

that said, maybe Lila is just a temperamentally calm baby. She's draining both boobies now at feeds, doesn't need ebm top up anymore. We're almost all on the breast.

Ack my back is killing me. How soon is too soon to teethe? Lila's drooling profusely and sticking her fists in her mouth every time there isn't a boobie or a bottle there. She's not hungry or upset but jams her fists in her mouth. Also I think there's a little bump on one side of her gums? Not sure, but I think so. Ridiculous.

Fire: I learnt the hard was with DS#1 he was held/rocked to sleep until he was 7 months old. My back just couldn't take it. Started this time, and it's jsut not possible espcially with 2 other children to run after. DD who is 9 can do thing to keep herself happy. But DS well he'll follow's me everywhere saying "What you doing mummy" so poor wyatt can't sleep 'cos he's too much of sick beak and want to know what is happening.

* I don't let him work him self up, it's more of grizling then anything.

I guess its each to there own, we all find ways to deal with our own children. What works for one child is might not work for the next.

Cheers
    Sarah

Sarah- I too have sometimes had to let Mj have her grizzle, after rocking and holding her not calming down, when i out her down she normally grizzle for a few mins then is off to sleep. I find sometimes holding her is just to much for her

Plus with 2 other kiddies i just dont have the time, there is only one of me and 3 of them

Quote Originally Posted by ~Beatrix~ View Post
    Plus with 2 other kiddies i just dont have the time, there is only one of me and 3 of them
    Very well said Beatrix.It would be even hard for you now as well without DH around.

Beside A little cry/grizle never hurt us when we were kids or our parents/grandparent etc... Don't babies have to cry to get there fustrations out and strengthen there lungs??? There are some people (eg my sister) who sookings her/my children way too much, and they get away with blue murder. Yet when they come to my house they are on there best behaviour as they know I wont put up with it.

I sometimes feel like I am a single parent as DH is a farmer. Up and gone to work before children get up, and in winter he sometime gets home before 6pm to spend a whole half hr before the kids go to bed. So it's me 24-7 even on weekends. I sometime wish he would work for someone else then at least we can do things or I could take the weekend off. In summer times it worse he's not home before 8:30 then back out at 1-2am to check the pumps etc. (boring...)

How are things going for you Beatrix, are the kids being helpful? I know I doubt I would cope wihout DD to help to little things.

Well Wyatt is finally down it too 4 goes tonight, so hopefully I might get 7hr, but am not worried if I don't get it. Me off to bed now.

Night all.
    Cheers
    Sarah

bellelass:That is great to here she is almost all the way back on the boobie... You've done a good job to get her this far.

Wyatt does the same, esp just after he wake up. I guess I will only worry when he get's his whole fist in there, until then he can just suck on his little hand. DH asked that the other night about teeth. I'm NO expert but I would GUESS around the 4-8 month mark.. My children only had 1-3 teeth before there first birthday so am not really sure. Also they were really good you didn't even know they got them.

Hope i helped you a little... (possibly not I know)

Quote Originally Posted by bellelass View Post
    that said, maybe Lila is just a temperamentally calm baby. She's draining both boobies now at feeds, doesn't need ebm top up anymore. We're almost all on the breast.

Ack my back is killing me. How soon is too soon to teethe? Lila's drooling profusely and sticking her fists in her mouth every time there isn't a boobie or a bottle there. She's not hungry or upset but jams her fists in her mouth. Also I think there's a little bump on one side of her gums? Not sure, but I think so. Ridiculous.
    Steph, you have described Baxter to a tee with the drooling. If his dummy falls out, the fist is in! But he's not upset or distressed. Maybe they have just found their hands? Baxter loves to wave a rattle around.

Could you please tell me more about why you were giving Lila EBM top ups? Baxter is becoming very short at feeds, like about 5 minutes at each breast if I'm lucky. He's got a weigh in tomorrow and if it's less than 150gms then I'll be making an appt with my lactation consultant, then his paed.

SG
    xo

Based on all your reading Fire what age do they stop needing so much contact?

Greer just puked her entire feed all over me, whilst trying to give her her antibiotics. I'm so glad we hadn't made it to the bed. I feel like I haven't put her down all day. My back is so sore tonight. I got crappy with Ds and DH after the puke. It is the first since 6am this morning so we made it through 14 hours without vomiting.

She is almost asleep so I'll be off to bed now myself.

Default It's Time To Sleep

This is on the huggies website under BeingAParent/YourBabysSleep

This program is a step by step guide to helping your baby or child sleep through the night ? every night. It offers a guide to controlled comforting techniques that are the most tried and proven way to get infants with poor sleeping habits to sleep through the night.

Newborn - 6 months
    SIDS and Kids recommend wrapping a baby1 and sleeping them on their back. We always recommend that all parents follow SIDS guidelines when your baby is asleep. During the program we use a technique of settling a baby on their side, however you should never leave your baby to sleep in this position. Follow these steps to settle your baby:

Wrap your baby firmly but not tightly in a lightweight material, cotton or muslin is ideal. This will help him feel secure and take control of his hands, stopping him from catching himself on the face if he flails around. Once baby is sleeping we will then loosen the wrap and roll baby onto their back. Always ensure wrapping is well secured and unable to cover your babies breathing passages. Wrapping is not required after the age of 3 months.
    Place him in his cot on his side, facing away from you, and with his feet close to the end of the cot. This is to avoid any eye contact.
    Make a note of the time: you?re going to give him 15 minutes to settle. Place one hand on his shoulder and with the other hand pat his bottom. He will probably be crying at this stage but keep patting. When the crying stops then stop the patting. The aim is to get him to fall asleep by himself not pat him off to sleep. If the crying starts again, start patting.
    If after 15 minutes he has not settled, pick him up give him a cuddle to settle him down (be careful not to rock him off to sleep) then turning him onto his other side (you will need to go around to the other side of the cot) begin the settling again for a further 15 minutes. You can settle for up to one hour, but after that you should offer a drink.
    Once he is sleeping you can then roll him onto his back and loosen and secure the wrap.
    Anything under one hour is considered a catnap and you should use the settling techniques to resettle without picking them up first.

It also has a guide as to how much sleep your baby should be having:
    Newborn
    Number of sleeps per day 4
    Average time up during the day between sleeps 1 hour
    Time it may take to settle 15 minutes

Newborns will be asleep 16 to 18 hours per day.
    Will sleep for 1 to 3 hours at a time.
    Anything less than 1 hour is called a catnap or a power nap.
    It is expected for baby to wake overnight for a feed.
    Last edited by alittlegrubi; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast