Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born August 2007 #6

Kim - we were row 14 on the floor at the concert, it was sooo good.

I agree with the grobags, expensive but worth it, and I am using Myles' ones for Ella now, because they do such a wide age span (6mths to 18mths and 18mth to 3yrs) you will probably get to use them with No 2 no matter what season they are born in. I have two for each winter season, and one for summer (in case of leaks).

Well, just popped in with some updates. Weighed Jensen myself yesterday and 2wks ago he was 7.4kg and yesterday was 7.2kg. Maybe coz he's so active? Because of his cold he's not eating as much? He's had his cold since sunday last week (not sunday just gone). Today, while we were at mothers group, he threw up and covered his whole shirt in mush banana and milk. Then again on my shirt, although not as much. Temp is 36.0. Hopefully the doctor will tell me whats going on tomorrow at his appt.

RE: moving in with the in-laws. The house we rent is actually owned by DH's father. We rent off them, while they were living in DH's parents live with FIL's mother - it's her place. (not too confused yet? ) Now that she has passed away, the will says that everything must be evenly divided between her boys (there's only 2). So either her house has to be sold to give the uncle his share of the inheritance, or this place has to be sold so they can stay in Nan's house - which boots us out. OR the 3rd option is to do some sort of loan thing and get real tennants in to pay off the loan which would pay out the uncle..... Either plan B or C will be put into action. However, we just do not have the money to stay here as the real tennants (coz the rent would go up) and we don't have the money to buy and pay back a loan. So we're moving in with the PIL.

I was wondering, of those who are BF, is anyone elses baby sometimes refusing the breast regardless of how starving thirsty they are ? Jensen will have a few sucks at one side, so me thinking that thats got nothing left swap him over then he does the same thing. Try that for about 10 mins, trying to hold up tight coz he just pushes his whole body weight away. Make a bottle, whether warm cold or hot and he just takes it. But first thing in the morning and last at night (and thru the night) BF is not a problem... WDID? I'll post a thread in the BF section, but do you think he's trying to wean?

Hope everyone's well.

Scone, are you sure it is not just the let down? I noticed with Ella she will suck for a bit, then come off, then suck for a bit (she seems like she wants to get down) but then I can feel the let down and she goes on and stays on. The let down takes longer now, and particularly towards the end of the night I have less milk (she is waking every 3 hours during the night). My nurse says they just want to keep moving around so want the feed to go quickly.

Also, how many feeds is he having during the day? As they get to 9 months, they may only need 3-4 in 24 hours, I just wish Ella was one of those lol.

If Jensen prefers the bottle there is a chance he prefers that to the bb during the day. Have you rung ABA? They have some ideas for breast refusal, but I don't know what they are, sorry.

Goodluck.

Hi everyone!
    I had written a huge post, and then I went to put a new smilie in it, and I lost the whole thing!!!!

So, just quickly now, as I am running out of time!!!!

YAY to Xavier for crawling! He'll be up on the furniture before you know it...! How is his sleep going? Do you find he wants to feed during the night still, since he's at daycare?

Molly - Thanks for keeping up with Milla and the great dummy removal story! We are getting there, but its kinda two steps forward, one step backwards. She is just too addicted to it to go fully cold turkey, and I can't leave her crying. She doesn't have it all night, maybe just for a minute or two to calm her down if she wakes less than 2 hours since I last fed her. So last night I had to feed her at 10, then DH gave her the dummy for a few minutes when she woke at 11, then I fed her at 2, and then she came in to our bed and fed AGAIN at 4.!!!! Grrrrr. I am hardly getting any sleep these days. Day sleeps are OK, mostly without the dummy, but today she was extra cranky and wouldn't settle at all (despite being tired, I know the signs so well now), so I caved in and gave her the dummy for a few minutes. She doesn't seem to care too much when we pull it out. Trick now is to be able to pull it out BEFORE she is asleep, and so far we haven't been able to do that without serious screaming... I am sure she is teething, she has never been such a bad sleeper as this, and I can see the top teeth just below the gum. Brauers teething relief and bonjela don't make any difference, and I am not going to give her panadol every night just so she sleeps...

Scone - yeah, Milla was exactly the same with BB feeds a while ago, and I was desperately trying everything to keep her day feeds going. She happily feeds all night... I found I really had to persevere, and in the end what worked was going in to her room turning off the lights, bouncing on a swiss ball and singing to her!!! This combined effort distracted her enough to encourage her to feed for more than 30 seconds! She did pass through that phase and now feeds pretty well during the day, so long as no-one talks, makes a noise, turns on the TV... or generally does anything more interesing than a boobie! Milla has never had a bottle (and in fact refused to drink formula from one when I tried to top her up last week). Keep offering, and avoid all distraction, and maybe Jensen will also pass through the refusal phase. I got the ABA booklet, but most of the info is free on their website anyway. I was worried about Millas weight gain over this period too, which was only about 100g in a month. That's why I happily fed her as often as she wanted at night. Now that is killing me, cause she wants to feed all night still, despite feeding at least 4 times properly during the day, AND being a total guts with solids. I am going to weigh her tomorrow..... surely she will have put some more on this month!!! I am hoping for 8kg by her 8 months...

Gotta go, hope I don't lose this post now that it turned back in to a mega one!

I have a dr appt for Jensen today and a health nurse appt in May (seems so far away, was the first available on the 8th!), so I'll discuss with the dr first about the feeding.

Those bubs teething... I have SM-33 Teething Gel, seems to work well. It's behind the counter, so you'll have the ask for it.

Kim - my dh loves Jensen making a mess. He doesn't clean either. Instead of messy fruit, he gives an arrowroot biscuit, which isn't too bad - it keeps him quiet, but if you don't get to cleaning any mess of it up right away, it hardens... Not a good look on wood floors.

Better keep going as I'm trying to clean the house so it looks like someone actually lives here!

hey all,
    Scone - how did you go at the Drs? What did they say about Jensen's weight?? I just weighed Milla, and she is 7.72kg, just short of her 8 months, which means she has only put on 100g in the last month again I know at least its a gain, but she is dropping down the percentiles more rapidly now... I might try to make an appt with the MCHN too.

Kim - yeah, Milla is the same - she loves her dummy so much. She is asleep now without it, but the night time routine is so much harder to crack. She used to like bonjela, but now she hates me putting it in her mouth. Maybe I'll try that SM-33 stuff Scone uses. Its so hard, when you're not even 100% sure that its the teeth causing the problem. I really want to get rid of the dummy.... DH wants to keep it , but he's not the one getting up at 2, 3, 4, and 5am to stick it back in her mouth!!! We're probably confusing Milla entirely by giving it to her just sometimes, but hopefully we can just gradually get it out of her life!

Her latest trick is to wave at us! Its not only when we say bye-bye or hello yet, but she really waves after we wave to her. And she is doing "high-5" sometimes too, and she loves it when our hands clap together. Also a lot of mammamamamams and bubububububbbas. Especially the mumumumumss when she is cranky for something (like when I leave her in her highchair with an empty spoon while I wash the dishes!) Too cute.

Hope you're all good!

Rhi - Cute pic! The dr says he has got a cold, but basically let it run its course. That what I was going to do anyway Good thing I was bulk-billed! About his weight. She weighed him in nothing but a huggies nappy and he was 7.75kg. I didn't think that was too bad until she said that for his age he should be 8.25kg. Pff. She did tell me (like the health nurse said so there must be some truth in it) that because he is so active (she was amazed at how busy he was) that his weight was fine but we have to watch it. There was also some raised lymph nodes in his groin (as there was in Feb) so we have been reffered to a Paed. They take forever to get into, but we had seen one 5mths ago about his muscle tone, so she wrote a letter to give to him. With dropping percentiles... DR measured him as well, said "he's gotten longer" (duh) and the measured his head and then told me it got smaller! So she measured it twice more! Same result. But not to worry coz he's "clearly bright and clever". I'm not worried coz I know it's gotten better. Must be from all the compliments he gets hehe

On Tuesday, Jensen climbed the footstool thing by himself. It's not very big. We were all pretty impressed. He really is too clever for his age (even if I do say so myself ). But last night I put dinner on and dh was in the study (upstairs) so I left Jensen in the lounge room and went up stairs and quickly got changed before the rice burnt. I was maybe two mins... if that. I come out of our room and my heart stopped. Here's Jensen at the top of the stairs (there are only 2 normal step height), just lowering his bum on the landing to look at where he'd come from. He was close enough to the edge, so I had to call for DH without calling out too loud to frighten him. Jensen heard me, looked around as DH came out and grinned. I started to freak-out as it finally sunk in what he'd just done when he started crawling towards me. We have a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs, just never shut it coz he only ever played with the gate and never got to the stairs. I am upset that he did it, but proud of him all the same... It really makes it hit home that he's no longer a baby.

Gotta go, he's awake!

Hi Girls!

suddenly got busy in here again!

Yay on the crawling Xavier

Whoops on the stair climbing Jensen! dont think you will get up there again any time soon!

OMG DH just put Em in Sarah's dolly stroller and let Sarah push her around! that stroller is not designed to hold 8-9kg! GRRRRR DH!!!!!

Em has had Gastro this week, but considering she doesn't have lactose she doesn't get it as bad as the rest of us. but i have not used any of the MCN on her this week coz i dont want them ruined.

Life has been very busy these past few weeks and i was to write it all down we would literally have a novel!

Gave Em some lactose free chocolate cake for Sarah's birthday today and she loved it! so that is going to be the cake we always get from now on, unless em passes her challenge mid May

Hey hey Hey, how are we all??

Sone, wow on your work. it sure is different when you go back from leave. isn't it crazy how so much can change in such a short space of time.
    We have that feeding thing happen a lot, but I don't offer formula, I just leave it be and try again later. Not 100% sure why he does it but I have a few theorys including, over tired, and too hard to suck boobies, over hungry and boobie milk is too slow, boobie milk is too fast, associating bottles with day time and boobies with morning/night, not actually being hungry, being hungry, but wanting food not milk. and comfort sucking, generally when tired. I've had my susoicions for a while, but now we have teeth I have been botten a few times, and it wasn't fun.

Kim, lol on your sticky beak needing to look in the toilet. We haven't really needed to swap any toys over, as xave spends so much time at creche, his toys are new every day!, but I have been slowly introducin new things, that he can play with now he's getting older. We have one of those fisher price doorways, they have heaps of activities on them and they are supposed to be good for 6-36 months. He has recently become very interested in it, because he can move now. we also play peak a boo using the door. Kim, pumpkin patch sell some grow bags, but i don't know if they are very big.
    Hate to break it to your hubby, but babies and mess go hand in hand.

Molly, xavier sometimes favors jar food over mum food. I have done some experimenting and found some things that he will like if i make them. I noticed that lots of the jar foods have heaps of pumpkin in them. So I always put pumpkin in his food now. I also find that the grey pumpkin is a little flavorless and watery, so I only use the jap or kent pumpkin. Xavier also likes tomato bases to his food. Rather co-incidentally, when I taste his food, if I won't eat it, he seems to not like it either. Can't say I blame him.

RE bought baby food, I found that the aldi brand baby food is actually made by heinz and is exactly the same as what you buy at the supermarkets, just with a different lable and less variety. But I buy most of my apples there because i think they are about 20 cents cheaper per tin, or at least they used to be, I know safeway has just rolled back the price.

Campari, he wants to feed more during the night after being at creche, They have trouble feeding him, I think it's because they can't read his signs, and ther are other kids to watch as well. He's not the sort that screams when he wants somethingThere have even been occasions where they have almost forgotten something, just because he doesn't demand anything, except from me of course.

On night feeding, the MCHN gave me some info, because we have had occasions where we feed all night, that if the feed lasts less than 5 minutes, then cut that feed out. eg, if bub wakes at 12 every night for a feed but sucks for a few minutes and falls asleep again, find another way to settle bub and they will learn not to wake for that feed. Apparently by this age if they should be able to feed enough during the day to get through the night without feeding. So eating during the night, might reduce what they eat during the day, meaning the will continue to eat at night iykwim. So our worst night has involved 2 hourly!!!, so I set myself a little rule that i would always try another means to get him to sleep first, and would try to not feed after bedtime for at least 8 hours. Yet I've been flexible on that.

Ali, Happy birthday to sarah. I hope your little munchkin is doing better soon. I hear you on the busyness, I can't get over how busy we are these days. our life revolves around the little man's life. squeezing shopping trips inbetween sleeps, and feeding etc etc. But can't say i'm bored.

RE good things for teething. Xavier loves melon. his favorite is rockmelon, 'cause it has more flavor than honeydew, yet is firmer than watermelon. it's lovley and cold on his gums and is firm enough to gnaw on. I just give him a wedge and he sucks and gnaws away on it. sometimes he gets chunks off.

We are pretty good here, xavier has discovered waving, it's a very regal wave, like he's the queen. he has also found his shadow, and stairs at his hand shadow moving in the morning sun, it is very cute. We have no mums here, just da da da da's, and sometimes da is like haloha, it means heaps of diferent things, but on many occasions it means dad!. We occasionally get some mems when cranky, and a lot of tttt's he has just learnt to play peak a boo, by covering his face with a towel and pulling it down.

well best be off, I really should have been in bed by now.

Hi girls!

Just a quick hi! Bout to hit the hay.

All is relatively well here.

Colby is really good! Growing beautifully. 9kgs at last weigh. And i just realised i made a typing error on the last post i did about her length. I typed 79cm instead of 69! No wonder you were all commenting on her length! LOL! Last measurement she was 71cm.

She is crawling everywhere possible. Walking along furniture and behind little trolley things. Babbling away. She is just doing awesome!

No teeth. Did'nt really expect there to be any early cause Briley was a late teether.

Very proud to say that the breastfeeding is still going strong! Major booby baby here!

Not sure who it was who asked about the fenugreek tablets earlier (you mentioned the fenugreek tea). You can buy them from a naturopath or herbalist. I reccomended them to a friend who was having milk "issues" the other week. She started taking them and milk had stepped up heaps! So they do work!

Anyhooo....10.34pm best hit the hay!

Hope you are all well....

Night girls!

Still house hunting unfortunately.

Kim, is the sleeping bag stretchy?

Most stretchy ones gove heaps more as bub grows, they just dont look that big so as not to swamp smaller babies IYKWIM.

Not much to report here... but I seemed to have figured out why Jensen was waking somewhere between 1130 and 1am. He slept thru on Sun night and almost last night.... he was COLD! Last night, he woke had a little feed, and (he was asleep) put him back to bed. He started crying at the top of his lungs, I put the soother birds on for him (he can watch them go round and round), left the room and waited 3mins and got back into bed and went to sleep and didnt hear another peep from him! Woo hoo! Maybe all the other times the bed had been cold and last night it warmed quickly?

Well, I need to start sorting thru stuff for a garage sale (and for the stall my sister has on the 10th out near where she lives), hoping that will make me some money.

Better go and clean while he's alseep.
    Have a good day!

Hey there!

Scone - hope Jensen continues to sleep better... it has been pretty cold lately, even for us Qlders! We put the heater on near Milla's room last night, but she still woke heaps.. For us its definitely teething. Her top left tooth is through, and the right one is pretty close too. She is so miserable Day sleeps are dreadful. I have just bought some SM-33 and Nurofen, so will give her some of that tonight. Even boobies didn't put her back to sleep last night, it was a shocker. I am sooooo tired, I think she was awake every hour.

Sara - Yay for Colby being so big and tall! LOL about your typo, I did think maybe she was destined to be a supermodel! Thanks for the fenugreek tip - I think it was me who mentioned it earlier. I got the tea, but that is pretty weak I guess, so I might try the tablets, but for now Milla is sucking all day and all night and I have no supply issues!

Becca - yep, I really want to try that "dont feed them at that time of night if they only feed for a few minutes" thing... I KNOW she isn't hungry most of the time, but she is so hard to re-settle lately, and with all this teething going on, I just cave in and pull out the boob! She just wont settle at all for patting, shshshing, rubbing belly/backs, none of it. She is such a sucky baby when she needs to sleep. Its going to be tough, but I know I have to do it eventually.

As for the dummy, well, we have regressed. She is using it all night again. It's too mean to take it away when she's teething, its one thing that does seem to calm her in bed. I read somewhere that to wean them off it you can snip the tip off the dummy, and then it doesn't give them as much sucking pleasure. Well, that really works! She totally spat the dummy, and didn't want it anymore. BUT, she cried and cried and cried and couldn't sleep after one hour of bbs, rocking, patting, shushing, all that. So, in the end I caved in and got out the spare dummy Maybe when the teeth are not causing too much grief we will give her back the snipped dummy. I guess I am totally confusing the poor child. I am torn between wanting to get rid of the dummy, and wanting to be a gentle and caring mummy....

I had to think of Jensen yesterday, as Milla started to crawl UP things... we have the baby bath on a stand still in the house (although hardly use it, she is in the big bath most nights now), but anyway, it has a bottom shelf that is about 20cm up off the floor. Its just thin vinyl pulled tightly around some metal bars, meant just for storing your towels I guess. I turned around and see her sitting up on it! She had climbed up on to it, and was just playing with the water bottle thing we used to fill the bath with ...

And with her waving, she waved at everyone in Coles yesterday, from the comfort of her new trolley-mate It was too cute.

Hi to everyone else, and hope you're all good!
    Hope all is fine with you Neuri and Misty

Rhi - Too cute! Makes you wonder what else they can get into! I went to the library with him yesterday and I put him at my feet to use the catalogue, and I looked down and he wasn't there.... He'd crawled off and was sitting on the bottom shelf of a bookshelf. It wasn't that high - basically on the floor, so I wasn't too worried. With the crawling up things, I didn't think that he'd try and get up the stairs again in a hurry, but last night I ran our bath and walked away. Not 2 mins later (and I say that coz it was basically that quick) and I walked back into the bathroom and here is Jensen, pulling himself up onto the edge of the tub. He'd made it across the loungeroom, up the stairs and into the bathroom. Had I been any later in there, he may have fell over the edge and drowned. I shudder to think.

Today, we went downstairs to hang out the washing. In the grass, he sometimes gets cold shivers. I got him a truck and noticed he had bullants all over him. I brushed them all off and moved him to a different spot (where there were none). Only I think maybe there were some, or they had hid and I didn't see them. He got the cold shivers again, only this time it didn't stop. Then the screaming came. Oh I felt terrible. Stripped him off right there and rushed him upstairs. We have some bi-carb and lavender mix so I put that on him and he was quiet almost instantly. I'll try and put a pic in the gallery coz he has heaps of welts.. poor bub.

Still having trouble sleeping. Well, he goes back to sleep, but then screams and screams. I try the bb, nothing. I cuddle him and he goes back to sleep, but as soon as he leaves my body or touches his mattress,the screaming happens again. He's been sleeping in our bed once that starts, coz it's just too cold (he has flannelette sheets and a sheepskin on his mattress) in his room. I don't mind him sleeping in our bed, but its getting a bit much. I don't mind letting him get to sleep and then putting him in his bed (there's a certain point where he's asleep asleep), but I fall back asleep too. He does sleep better with us, however, I don't !

On the plus side, he waved goodbye to me today! I was walking away and he just kept waving. We went to the park the other day and he loved being on the swing with me, and down the slide. Didn't go down the slide on his own tho.

Its very very quiet in here... does that mean that all the babies are sleeping all night, behaving themselves and generally not doing anything cheeky??? I think not!!

All OK with us. Milla is still waking up three times a night, but I'm not feeding her between 7pm and 1am.. Last night I fed her at 1:45am and 4am... Day sleeps have been a bit strange - just 25 minutes in the mornings, and then for the past two days we've had 2 hours+ at lunchtime. Bliss!! Do you think its possible that she doesn't even want the morning sleep now? When do babies "normally" go down to one sleep a day? Becca - how do they do sleeps at childcare? Does Xavier have just a big midday sleep there? I think that's how they do it at the centre I have most chance of getting Milla in to.. (we're on 8 waiting lists for our place in July, but its not looking very hopeful anywhere.. )

Better go. Hope all is going great for you all.
    Rhi

No things are sailing along as normal, cheeky kids, and all. I am working so a bit more busy and have less time for forums.

Challenge for Em starts next friday. I am really scared! she will not be using the MCN's during that time! i dont want them stained!

Rhi - Jensen has 2-3 sleeps a day... first 2 from 1-2hrs and the 3rd (if he has one, he gets cranky if he doesn't have it, but pushes on thru anyway) is about 30 mins. I have to look into day care for when I go back, but I don't want to go back and I don't know kind of days /hrs I'll be doing. Must call my boss like my hubby keeps nagging me to.

Not much is happening here. Nights are a nightmare. 3-4 times a night he wakes and he'll be back to sleep in my arms but when I put him down he screams (I think I've mentioned this already). The health nurse gave me something to try but didn't try it yet coz we came out to visit my sister last night... Jensen only woke the once, after telling them how often he wakes.... grr We put a oil fin heater in his room but it doesn't seem to work til about 4 in the morning. Friday night I put a bunny rug over part of the heater and got Jens back to sleep, took the bunny rug off the heater and put it straight onto his cot and put him straight down. Perfect. Didn't hear a peep for 2hrs! No screaming!!

Had a stall with my sister at the baby bazaar in Ipswich. I paid her $10 for my half of the stall, and made a profit (after that $10) of $29. Woo hoo! Might see if I can buy a decent sleeping bag for Jensen. I feel guilty if i buy things for myself.

Fingers crossed for a good day for tomorrow for my first mothers day! Let see what happens..

Have a great weekend and fantastic Mothers Day.!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast