Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born August 2007 #6

Default Babies Born August 2007 #6

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in August 2007.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Trillian ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your Previous thread can be found here

Last edited by Trillian; May 18th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

oh i get the 1st post lol!

must go, em wants her lunch

thats exactly how I felt. So I made my dh, when he dropped ds off, to tell her NO FOOD. And when I saw her that afternoon, she told me that dh had stressed NO FOOD. So I think the msg got across.

Now, the issue is the car seat. The car seat says rear-facing to 9kg. All of a sudden he's 6mths, well, we'll just turn him round. My mother was narky at me this morning for saying that. I told dh, out of ear shot, and he agreed with me. MIL tried it too. There's a tag where you put the baby's head that says 9kg..... go figure.

Jensen was weighed on Monday - 7090g, 65cm and I think 42cm head circ.

I had a dr appt with him yesterday (him for his needles - and is now broken out in a rash). I had carpal tunnel syndrome when I was pg, and it's come back. Both left and right. So the dr has written a letter to the PA (and Royal Brisbane if the PA doesn't pan out) to have the scan to diagnose it properly. If I wish to be on the public waiting list, just for the scan, it could be up to 18mths, and / or if I wish to pay for it, it's about $100, which will be sooner.

BBL

Scone, good news about the NO FOOD rule getting through! My car seat says the same thing, I think alex is over 8kg now, I will wait for her next check up in two weeks before i move the seat.

Carpel tunnel is the worst, I got it in the last week of my pg and I couldnt handle it - I hope it gets resolved for you without the need for surgery!

Hope your all having a great week!

Lisa

Hi

This forum is so good for just not feeling alone with things!! Thanks everyone for sharing the same problems with the MIL and others about bringing up our babies.

With the car seat, I noticed in the babylove book that it says 9kg or 70cm long. Ella really seems too big for her car seat, she is about 67cm, and 7.5kg, so I am planning on turning the car seat around at the beginning of March, when she is 7 months, she will be about 68-69cm then I think. Her feet were touching the seat in front of her so we took the insert out of the car seat (which it says on the tag MUST be used for rearward facing) so now she is lower and further back in the seat which is helping a bit.

I have a friend who's baby is just 8kg and she turned him around a month ago (only 5 days older than Ella) but I am just too scared that it isn't right yet.

Eleanor slept so well last night - went to bed at 6pm and woke at 3.30am for a feed and then 6.30am. I think I feel groggy because I got so much extra sleep.
    Mind you I didn't go to bed early as I watched cashmere mafia, which I really enjoyed, especially after I watched the end of underbelly which I won't watch again as it is too violent and to know it is based on a true story.... can't get the ending out of my head.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Rhianon - forgot to say goodluck with the carpal tunnel - sorry to hear you have it, it must be painful.
    I cannot believe it is 18mths wait for the scan in the public system!

Kimnastics - I think Hayden is VERY clever doing that! I am waiting for Ella to sit up to get out some of DS old toys. She spends so much time on all fours I was surprised she could sit for a couple of seconds by herself.

I know what you mean about the overhead straps on the car seat - looking forward to those going.

I went to see my boss yesterday and was pleasantly surprised when she said I could work the days and hours I wanted when I go back on 1 May, she is being very flexible. I will even get to leave early so that I can be home to feed Ella before she goes to bed - I just have to stick to the hours!!

I was a bit annoyed because she changed my job and offered the temp doing my role the role on a permanent basis without talking to me about it first. The whole team knew... But the role I will be doing will allow me to focus on just one area of HR rather than trying to cover everything so that should help me stick to my hours. I can't complain, but I would have handled it differently.

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted or caught up with the thread in aaaages. ANd suddenly we're on a new one! On the subject of ILs, I think I hit the jackpot with mine. My mum keeps reminding my how lucky I am because she had MAJOR ILs issues. Mine are amazing. We have everything that we have because of their generosity and my MIL will check with me on everything Willa-related even when I feel like I know diddly squat abt something. ANd she's had 4 kids!

Regarding car seats. We stopped the capsule and installed the safe n sound one which started at 8kg, front facing

And then I saw this: YouTube - The Importance of Rear-Facing: Version 2

And TOTALLY changed my mind. I actually teared up when I watched it!! My husband thought I was real sap but guess what he turned our seat around quick smart after watching that video lol. Now she sits rear facing and will continue to do so for as long as possible I think.

I think we're in the midst of teething dramas finally. SHe's sleeping later, clingy in the evening and tosses and turns like crazy chewing on her blankie when she tries to get sleep. Every day it looks like she might crawl n we have the digicam on standby but nup, just does that all-4s rocking back and forth thing and then flops over.

Work is super busy. We're doing a mothers breakfast thing for the mums on campus (students and staff) so I'm off to get quotes for clowns and face painters. SHould be good fun! I get to bring willa.

Went to MCHN today for wellness check. WIlla is 8.3kg, 70cm, 42.5 head circ. Her shots are next week. Not looking forward to them!

I cooked like crazy tonight (butter chicken, potato cabbage thing & yogurt dish). My first real attempt at Indian food and its sitting there waiting for DH to eat when he gets back from training. Will be cold! Gonna go clean my kitchen. It looks like downtown Baghdad at the moment.

SOrry for lack of personals ladies. Lately, I'm hardly on the net. SMoochies to all your gorgeous babies.

take care
    sonia

Quote Originally Posted by Mollygirl View Post
    With the car seat, I noticed in the babylove book that it says 9kg or 70cm long. Ella really seems too big for her car seat, she is about 67cm, and 7.5kg, so I am planning on turning the car seat around at the beginning of March, when she is 7 months, she will be about 68-69cm then I think. Her feet were touching the seat in front of her so we took the insert out of the car seat (which it says on the tag MUST be used for rearward facing) so now she is lower and further back in the seat which is helping a bit.

I have a friend who's baby is just 8kg and she turned him around a month ago (only 5 days older than Ella) but I am just too scared that it isn't right yet.
    Sarah was 69cm @ 4 months so we turned her around then coz she was sooooo uncomfortable. i regret that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimnastics View Post
    Scone - Sorry about the carpal tunnel. Hope you don't have to wait 18mths to have it resolved. Our car seat is to 12kg in the rear facing position so I wasn't even thinking of turning it yet. But, Hayden is 9kg now (not sure how tall but I'm pretty sure he is over 70cm) and went ok yesterday sitting in a trolley so he should be ok sitting upright in a carseat. It might make life easier if I don't have to dodge those overhead straps getting him in and out. Will talk to DH about it this weekend.

Molly - Congrats on Eleanor's big overnight sleep. I tried to watch cashmere mafia but didn't really hear much - Hayden was probably still up and making noise (is it bad that I can't remember what happened last night?). I decided the previous week that underbelly was too violent for me but ended up watching bits and saw the end this week too.

I thought Hayden was so clever yesterday. He can go from his hands and knees to a sitting position now. I bought him a shape sorter and blocks that he likes to play with sitting (just chewing the blocks and knocking them down if I stack them) so he's spending more time sitting again which has been neglected since he's been trying to crawl.
    if the straps annoy u u can undo them to take him in n out. i do with em's. it is easier to do in a wagon tho.

Quote Originally Posted by neuri View Post
    Regarding car seats. We stopped the capsule and installed the safe n sound one which started at 8kg, front facing

And then I saw this: YouTube - The Importance of Rear-Facing: Version 2

And TOTALLY changed my mind. I actually teared up when I watched it!! My husband thought I was real sap but guess what he turned our seat around quick smart after watching that video lol. Now she sits rear facing and will continue to do so for as long as possible I think.

I agree!!! PLEASE leave them rear facing as long as possible!!!!!! I replaced em's car seat for 1 that goes rear facing to 12 kg's for this reason. there is a huge thread somewhere about this, i will find it and add it to my post soon

ETA Here it is
    Last edited by alioops; February 23rd, 2008 at 01:09 AM.

re: car seats

I looked at the YouTube link Sonia put in and now have decided I am going to leave my baby girl rear ward facing as long as possible.

I know I have issues about her already (after my waters breaking at 16weeks I never thought I would actually have a healthy baby) so I wouldn't forgive myself if anything happened to her.

I have my 3 yo DS (weighs between 17-18kg and very stocky) in a booster seat, the hi-pod that anchors and is adjustable height, but Ella won't be in a booster seat until she is 5 I think, given that she is much smaller for her age than he was.

Now I am worried about taking the insert out of the seat - but she just wasn't fitting in and I was worried because the straps over her shoulders were so low - and that it might affect her shoulders. Now they are at the right height but she can lay to the side more than before. I guess the important thing is that it is rearward facing. What do you ladies think??

HI Molly,

Is this insert the thing with the padding around the head that stops their heads from flopping around? Or do you mean an insert that came with the car seat specifically?

My girlfriend insisted on turning her baby's car seat around to face the front as soon as her little boy hit 8kg and this was even though he was quite short at the time.This was b4 we saw the youtube vid. This baby was a premmie.

The straps sat quite a bit above his shoulders and his head would flop a bit. But she added these huge strap paddings that looked like stuff racing drivers used so her DS's head was pretty much anchored in place. SHe used two on each strap so it was dbl the padding. I'm pretty sure I've seen those strap paddings with velcro at the shops. U can use 'em in capsules and on car seats for older babies. Maybe that's an option? U can then take it to one padding on each strap as she grows.

sonia

Sonia
    it is the insert that came with the car seat, but I can't leave it in because the straps are coming from below her shoulders with it in and the car seat says you can only use the bottom two holes on rear facing.
    The straps already have those padding things on them but she can turn her head and lay into the side of the seat a bit more than she could before.

I think I will take it to Littlies at Blacktown and see what they say.

what car seat goes to 12kg for rear facing?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mollygirl View Post
    Sonia
    it is the insert that came with the car seat, but I can't leave it in because the straps are coming from below her shoulders with it in and the car seat says you can only use the bottom two holes on rear facing.
    The straps already have those padding things on them but she can turn her head and lay into the side of the seat a bit more than she could before.
    What brand is the car seat u have? i rang IGC Dorel (the manufacturer of most department store carseats) and they said u can move the insert up to the next hole. u can use all 4 holes but need to move the insert up. it is same with my new carseat. we now have a cargo amazon and it goes up to 12 kg rearfacing and is made by hipod. most safensound ones go up to 12 kg rearfacing.

Hey everyone,
    Kim - that is so cool that Hayden is crawling already (but I guess its a lot more work for you too now! There's always a downside to these milestones hey?!!) Way to go little man!!!

Milla has her two bottom teeth, and yesterday bit my nipple while feeding for the first time... yeouch!!!! Its so cute to see her with teeth, but I hope the biting doesn't become a habit... she's so difficult to feed as it is.

No crawling here, but she has got up on her knees and done the rocking thing a few times lately - mostly when she is in her cot and doesn't have toys around to disctract her I think. She just rolls everywhere at the moment, but I don't think she deliberately goes anywhere... maybe just stretches to reach a toy.

Had her 6 month check up and needles on Tuesday - shes 7.24kg, 65cm - can't remember head. She's gotten taller and skinnier, but is still up on about the 75% line. All good.

She's loving all her solids - I had to cut back on quantity as she was just refusing the boob all day. She is having three meals a day, but they are quite small and I only put Farex in with her dinner now. She's getting her first taste of broccoli today, not sure if she'll like it, although I love it!!

Better go, she is whingey.

Rhi x

Morning girls!

Been MIA heaps lately!

I had a last minute client come up who was due yesterday. I have been trying to get in as much time with her as possibe. She is only 17 so that makes things that little bit harder.

Girls are good. Colby is almost up on her knees and crawling. Moved one "step" yesterday on her knees then flopped down on her tummy. She also pushed herself up into a monkey position (palms flat bum in the air). She is also saying "bub-bub" and dad-dad. Growing up to quick!

I have'nt got her 6 month needles yet. We are heading in to town tomorrow for them. Looking forward to see how much she weighs and all the rest.

RE: Car Seat: We have Colby's facing forward. She is a totally different baby in the car now. When she was rear facing she would scream and carrying on everytime we got in the car. Now she just looks out the window or is happy to sit there and look around. Each to their own though.

Sorry for no personals!

I am about to get broadband so i will be around more often then. Got a new computer aswell!

For those that have girls.....Are you thinking about getting her ears peirced???? I have'nt got Brileys done but i was thinking about getting both the girls done soon.

Best be off....breakfast is waiting!!

Hope you and bubs are all well...

Take Care!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    I had a last minute client come up who was due yesterday. I have been trying to get in as much time with her as possibe. She is only 17 so that makes things that little bit harder.

.....Are you thinking about getting her ears peirced???? I have'nt got Brileys done but i was thinking about getting both the girls done soon.
    have u told her to join bb younger couples thread i great - if u can keep up

we will let the girls get their ears done when they want them done iykwim

Hello! Is it too late to join your group? My DS was born 22/08/07 and it never occured to me til now to join!

hi tobyturtle! not too late! joined my toddler buddies when Sarah was bout 8 months!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast