Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born December 2007 #19

Thanks Ladies for your responses.

Jus - I might see if I can get that book. I looked up a website called Save our Sleep by Tizzy Hall. She is supposed to be the baby whisper. YOu can buy different routine kits or her book. She promotes self settleing. I will have a look but I am not really interested in the hard cc techniques. I did establish a day routine 2 weeks ago and I did put her in the cot awake and let her cry of a bit and then I pick her up and put her down and this seems to have worked. Unfortunately it does not work at night. You asked if Loren is getting too much day sleep. I don't thing so. She wakes around 8.30am, down again at10.30 am (40mins) down again at 1pm (1.5 hours) and down at 5pm (40mins). I have read some articles and it seems that what ever method you use consistency seems to be the key. I won't co-sleep for a whole night and DH won't let me put the cot in our room. So I have put a recliner in the nursery and we dose together there.

Liz - I think Loren is teething atm as well but she still needs to be in my arms to settle. even when not teething. I guess this is my fault because I cuddle her alot to make up for not bfing iykwim.

Just to deviate a bit. I was talking to our playgroup co-ordinator regarding different mothering styles and she raised an interesting point. The years where our fore mothers where told to get baby into a strict routine and to put baby in a cots and let them cry has resulted in a generation of kids that are disconnected to not only theirs own families but also to society.

Another topic. Please note that I am not scare mongering but my Dad is a truckie and he told me that the transport industry Australia wide are going to strike for 2 weeks starting Monday. If the strike goes for the full 2 wks then supplies in the grocery shops could be low. Therefore stock up on essentials just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by BekZ View Post

Another topic. Please note that I am not scare mongering but my Dad is a truckie and he told me that the transport industry Australia wide are going to strike for 2 weeks starting Monday. If the strike goes for the full 2 wks then supplies in the grocery shops could be low. Therefore stock up on essentials just in case.
    Thanks for that.. Luckily we did our huge shop just the other day.. so all stocked up here

Thanks for the hug Nic, I must have posted at the same time as you. I am going to stock up tomorrow on uht milk, toilet paper, nappies and formula etc..you the idea....have a good sleep and I hope you get a sleep in

Hello all have read this thread but in and out sorry I tried my brain just would not take it all in I will try my very best

I dont think controlled crying works either I have tried a few times on Olivia and to be honest she will just scream and scream and scream 99% of the time and maybe go to sleep once in a blue moon but then will only sleep an 1hr at the max.. So now I get her up offer food drink again and then hold her until she sleepy and then slowly put her back to bed..... I am hoping this is only a stage Olivia is going through as its been a rough couple of days and nights... She screamed that much the other night she made herself vomit up and then she went to sleep..... But she had no temp or signs of being unwell...

Olivia is trying to sit up more these days and will actively try to get to objects any way she can mainly rolling over until she gets to said object oh and loves to taste everything...

Olivia has a great appetite and eats 3 meals a day now and loves almost everything we have given her....

Bek and Liz I hope your sleep improves

Happy 7 months Asher

LoriRae I hope Ty is ok now how very scarey my olivia is a tummy sleeper too will not sleep on her back or side

Ok enough for me for now

Teena - Loren threw up too because she was screaming so much. I got such a fright!!!

It is 6am and the little cherub is in her cot playing with a toy. She had a ok night. Only woke at 2am for a dummy pop in and then at 5.30 for a feed. Unfortunately I can't get her to go back down but she is happy in her cot for the moment. She keeps standing up and squealing with delight that she is up and able to chew on the cot rail.

I may as well stay up because I need to get up by 6.30 anyway. Boy it is raining atm!

BTW last night I cuddled Loren until she was closing her eyes I then put her down and sat next to the cot with my hand on her. She went off to sleep just fine, I will continue this method.

Well last night I was soooo tired I was going to go to bed around 10 but Olivia had other ideass I was so tired I could barely hold her so Simon did that bit We finally got her to sleep about 11:30 by snuggling her into bed with me.. *sigh* oh well we both slept till 6 this morning

Still pouring rain here.. day 3 now. I don't mind it now.. yesterday it was driving me insane but today its just nice

My Mummy is coming to visit for a few days for Ethans Birthday We are going into town this morning to pick her up..

Have a Great Day everyone

Nic - Glad your night ended being ok. Yey for your mum coming ova!!!

Solids questions: When introducing foods like peas and beans do you give them to bub straight or mix with another veg. Normally I would give straight so bub can taste different food but Loren is just so fussy I doubt that she would eat peas or beans only. Maybe I am just assuming.

What fruits have you all introduced? So far Loren has only had banana, apple, pear and apricot (only from a jar and mixed with pear).

This is Loren's current diet. Morning fruit mixed with baby porriage, Lunch fruit, veg or just cereal and dinner is veg. She eats around 2 tbls each meal (if that).

I think from memory I started to introduce things like meat, pasta and rice from 9months is this ok?

Sorry for all the questions

Nic - thats great ur mums coming down! my mums coming here today too.. yay! been so quiet all week!

Jus - why would she say that about caffiene i know it goes out of our systems quick but it stays in babies 3 times as long...

Goodluck bekz with the sleeping, i cant help cos i dont do any of it, i always cuddle ash to sleep, prob a bad thing but it makes him happy and it i would rather cuddle to sleep then feed to sleep.

Ash went down for a 5pm sleep yesterday and was asleep for a while, woke up and i thought yay keep him awake so hes not up early again, but i fed him and fell straight back to sleep and that was it for the night... out like a light! hmmm so 5:30am hes up again..... i think hes starting to make this a habbit! Hes on the floor playing in a huggies box lol thinks its great! hehehe

I downsized Ashs nappies to walker yesterday, Juniors dont come in boxes and i like buying them cheap. Im SOOOO over leaky nappies!! ahhh! i brought a cloth nappy to try tho, a lady made it specifically for me so fingers crossed it works! - I was standing in the post office the other day and Ashs nappy went straight through to my top! ahhh i quickly wrapped us up in a blanket and ran out of there!!

Got Ashs next chiro apt today. he was much better sleeping last night.. maybe this diet thing is worth it? didnt end up using the colic stuff either, i was waiting for him to wake up during the night but no need. will try before he goes to bed tonight.

Is the truck thing all states??

Hey Bek.. Was just thinking.. Do you use a sleeping bag? I know Olivia sleeps so much better when she is in hers.. and if I forget to put her in and she goes to sleep you can guarantee she will wake..

My Mummy will be here in an hour I am so looking forward to seeing her. I did see her the other week but it was such a rushed visit.. Just an overnight one..

Buzzie - Yes the truck thing is Australia wide, apparently it is planned to be the biggest transport strike in Austrlian history. My SIL bub is a big wetter and she swears by a mcn called Krap katcher, especially for night. I find the huggies too short some times, have you tried the Aldi brand? They seem to be long around the waist.

Well another crapski night here. I wasn't up with her screaming, but she woke frequently screaming, but quickly settled with a feed. *sigh* I've been going to bed about 9 the last couple of nights. I've been falling asleep with Tallon LOL. So I must be feeling the sleep deprivation!

I might get more strict with my diet too. I've been more lax with Kayla than I was with Tallon. I will go back to decaf tea only and cut down my chocolate intake! Coz I do have a feeling it's the caffeine. She's been doing really pasty poos too lately, I'm assuming it's the rice cereal. I might actually cut down on that (even tho the nurse reckons that's most important coz of the iron - pfft) and just do fruits & veg. See if that helps her tummy a bit.

Well, the news I've been meaning to post for the last couple of days is that I witnessed a foal being born on Monday! I was at a friends place helping with their bookwork, and their horse decided it was time to have her foal! So we watched the entire thing! Tallon still talks about the baby horse, and it trying to stand up and get milk from it's mummy. So sweet. It was a little filly, black as black can be with a white star on it's forehead (bit like black beauty! I used to love that show ) . The mother is grey, and the father is black, so they're pleased the foal came out black. It was so cool watching it (brought back some memories tho LOL).

And we started music lessons for Tallon on Tuesday. It was quite good! I'm hoping it will help build his confidence to participate in things. He freaks out when we go to playgrounds or parties and things. Clings to me and freaks out if kids run near him. He's fine when he knows where he is, and he knows the people. In fact people look at me strange when I say I hope the music lessons will help him come out of his shell, coz he is by no means shy when he feels comfortable LOL. Anyway, I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 2, and he's constantly improving, so I'm sure he'll be better by the time it's time for preschool etc. Actually in the book Raising Boys it says not to leave boys in any kind of care before they are 3. very interesting, and makes me feel better about Tallon being such a mummy's boy when we're at new places hehe.

Well, I should go, I've slipped on my housework! Argh! At least DH did the kitchen for me last night, so I just need to pick up some toys and the place will feel more tidy. Then I think I'll find something to watch on TV and fold my piles and piles of washing, and maybe even do some ironing! (yeah.. we'll see LOL) Aaah bum.. just remembered I have washing sitting in the machine! I will have to run a quick cycle so it doesn't smell. I hate that! grr. i have at least formed one habit, and that is I'm still making hte beds in the morning.. which in turn makes me pick up dirty clothes and things and tidy the rooms. So I've at least done that. hehe. Not strictly following flylady, but still reading hte emails. Altho.. I should have done the back of the toilet the other day.. that was a good suggestion. Aah well. I'll get there.

OK.. see ya!

Hi Bekz, just on the Tizzie Hall book, I glanced thru it, and it's way too simplistic for what I've been thru with Ella. I'm sure she knows her stuff, but she was quoted in a magazine as saying 'if they wake at 5 am you simply resettle them because that's too early, it's still night time.'. Well, that may be true - and oh how I wish it would work, but it just won't at our house. So just a word of caution on the fact that it may not work for you. You could look at the Karitane website & download some of their stuff on getting kids to sleep & routine. There are some good ideas in there (as well as the comfort settling which I wouldn't use myself. I second nic on that!). Good luck!
    Try giving Karitane a call & see what they think. They are very helpful!

ps. the baby whisperer book - tracey hogg might have some strategies you like. We've used some of them.
    for now I 've put all the books away & am doing "follow your gut" parenting. That seems to be working for us.

if you need help, it's worth going to your chn today & trying to get referred to karitane now, as it takes at least a month to get in. if the problem goes away you can just cancel, but if it's still going on you'll be glad of it.
    We were there about a month ago & I can't speak highly enough of them. no magic cures, but excellent. They are more flexible than tressilian, so it's ok if you don't want to use comfort settling.
    Last edited by Jus; July 24th, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

hey me again, sorry haven't had time to read evrything, just b its & pieces. Thanks for the tip on the caffeine Lauren. We are all generally happier here when I don't have any. I even pay for small amounts of chocolate ... sigh...
    if you wanted to know about it, speaking of cafeine, there is a dairy free choc called sweet william. it's quite good, but still caffeine...

have a lovely day everyone else, i'm thinking of you, just too tired to post properly!

OMG liz thats awesome seein the horse have its baby! that must be amazing to see in real life! ouch on those long legs! lol Good luck with the music lessons. i would love to get ash into something like that when hes a little older.

Jus - theres a caffiene/dairy free chocolate too, i think health food shop sell it. I have to go in there some time...
    OMG i was so head dumb today.. i ordered a a hot chocolate this morning! im like i know its got milk but its the only dairy ive had for a week a little might be ok (i was out for coffee with mum! wasnt gonna order water!) and as the guy put it on the table im like I just ordered bloody chocolate!! OMG dumb women!!!! grrr

Bekz - I think ive heard of Krap Katcher.. ill have to look into it thanks for that idea.

Nic - hope your having an awesome day with your mum, mine just left..

Who ever said putting the probiotic on the nipples.. i think i might try a little. The chiro recomended it today too... mind u i dont think hes gonna like the bits in his mouth!

Im moving to the new house this weekend... i am so thing about moving there, i love it here and im gonna miss my mothers group (ill go as often as i can) but driving with ash is gonna be a nightmare! ahh im sure being by the beach cant be that bad

Hope everyones having a great day.. finally some sun here! woot!

Hi all,
    Just a very quick one. Ty's poo truned out to be early gastro and it hit us both with full force on Tues after we left the doctor. Now dh has it too. Ty seems ok, I spent 4 hours on a drip in hospital on Tues arvo. The house stinks and is so filthy, I'm too weak to even move. Taken Ty right off the solids except for a bit of apple juice diluted (ER dr's suggestion).
    Feels like we've got the plague or something. I haven't been so sick ever before I don't think.

Oh Lori - you poor things. I hope you're all feeling better soon. Seems like Ty has been sick for so long! You won't know yourselves when everyone is well again.

I know Liz, Ty's been sick for 6 weeks now with one thing after another, ever since his immunisations. I think they may have knocked his immune system down and he keeps getting sick so it hasn't had a chance to build back up. In hindsight, I really wish I'd put them off until after winter at least.

We're getting needles tomorrow. Kayla hasn't had any reactions to needles so far so hopefully we'll be right. Neither of my kids have had even a temp I don't think from the needles. I'm also going to get myself some antibiotics for my sinuses & tooth. Still haven't had my tooth looked at LOL.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast