Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born February 2008 #3

Default Babies Born February 2008 #3

This thread is for parents whose baby was born in February 2008.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Astrolady ~ Administrator
    Sherie ~ Senior Moderator
    Dachlostar ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13
    MistyFying

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Baby Formula - What Manufacturers Don't Want You To Know
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids or formula.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found HERE

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Smile

Hi Everyone,
    hopefully everyone has had a restful night?
    A quick question for you all -- does your bub sleep longer than 40mins during the day? DD has her days and today is one of them -- she goes to sleep not a problem but then wakes after 40minutes on a good day if I leave her she will resettle but on a bad day she wants to get up and then has another 40minutes after being awake for another hour. It makes for a very long day!!

I remember with my boys that they went through this faze and then gradually developed into better sleeping habits when they were about 3months old it just seems a long time until then. Sorry selfish rant just very tired.

Happy Easter Everyone
    Talk soon
    Sue

Hi Sue,

Maybe it is because she is nearing the 6 weeks? Apparently they go through a growth spurt and a change in sleeping pattern during that time... Does she sleep for longer during the night? Jasper is doing something similar in the afternoon; wanting to feed every hour or so and sleeping for a very short time only or not at all between feeds. But with that comes that instead of waking up 3 hourly, he has a stretch of 5 hours and sometimes another one of 4 hours during the night. This makes it a bit easier to bear. It does make it hard when they wake up so often, because you can't get anything done. I found that if I take him out (car/pram) when he won't sleep, he usually enjoys it and either quietly looks around or falls asleep, and I can get some chores done in town. After a trip to town, he usually has a good sleep.

WE GOT THE FIRST SMILES TODAY!!!! SOOOOO CUTE!!!

Wishing everyone a happy and relaxed Easter!!

Esther

Hi guys,

Sorry it has been ages since I have posted. I have been checking on you all, but just have no time to post! Plus I usually have DD in one arm so makes typing very difficult! DH has her right now, so I have a little time to type.

I am way too far behind to catch up on where everyone is at, but I hope you are all going ok. Prama and others struggling with BFing, you are all trying so hard and doing such a good job, I really admire you! I have been lucky that BFing was easy for me, or I am not sure I would have had the persistence to keep it up if had been harder like it is for you guys. It is hard enough with the lack of sleep etc, without dealing with anything else. I hope you are going ok.

DD had her 6 week check up the other day and is doing great. She is 4.8kg (from 3.44kg at birth) and has grown 7cm! It is so amazing how fast they grow. She is very strong and getting great neck control, although she still hates tummy time unless she is on one of us. We are getting heaps of gummy smiles now which I love - it makes me melt!

Her sleeping is getting great at night - we go 5 hours between feeds from about 10pm (although it can take an hour or so to get her to sleep), then she will wake for a feed and then go straight back to sleep until around 5-6am when she decides it is getting up time. After a bit of a play she will sometimes go back to sleep for a little bit if she is in bed with me, but she won't go back down in her bassinet. During the day she is really fighting sleep and not getting much at all, and she is so alert these days she is a real handful! I barely get a break at all during the day and barely get a chance for a shower.

DH is still not helping out much and we are still fighting sometimes. It is so hard. I hope things get easier soon. Hopefully with the long weekend we will both be feeling a little better. Mothers group is going great and I love talking to all the other mums! I think that is what is keeping me sane right now.

Sorry for such a selfish post - the little one is squawking for another feed so I must go but will try to get back online again soon!

This group is so large it really is tough keeping up with everyone!!!
    Like Bun, i'm watching, reading, trying to keep up, but by the time i get to posting Alexander decides it's his turn for mummy time!

Sue - Alex is still sleeping pretty well during the day, but i expect as we further approach six weeks that it will change. He'll often wake after an hour or so, but generally with wind pain, and he can, mostly, self settle, so i don't usually go to him.

Esther - Woohooo on the first smiles!!!! Alex is sorta smiling but they tend to coincide with wind or when he's tired, still waiting for the intentional kind!!!

Bun - Yipppeeeeee on the good weight gain and sleeping!!! Hope it's making things a little easier for you and hope your DH gets a bit more used to Catherine soon.

Well, Alexander i think is having a bit of a growth spurt. He's been feeding for fifteen-twenty minutes on one side and then he wants the other!! Little guts. It may just be because of his cold that his feeds are taking longer though.
    We have also discovered that he has reserved his loudest, most ear piercing scream for when he wants to be put to bed PMSL. I thought that was pretty awesome, lol.
    We have his christening on the weekend, apparently as it's the Easter Mass it will be a full immersion ceremony, which is fabulously exciting as normally only adults are baptised that way.
    Fed twice out in parents rooms yesterday. I don't think i'll ever manage the public breastfeed because my boobs are just too difficult to manage. I'm proud of the parents rooms achievements alone.

Umm not much else to tell, Alexander did sleep through the other night but seems it was a one off. Getting there slowly though...

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter holiday and/or long weekend.
    Many sleep vibes to you all.

Just wanted to quickly pop in and wish you all a very HAPPY EASTER !!

Everything is good here *touch wood* we are learning Noahs tired signs so he is going down a lot better now and sleeping quite well. He is also feeding a lot better which is nice! We still give him the occasional formula bottle, which he wolfs down!!

Ash, I hope that the christening goes beautifully!!

Bun, so sorry to hear that DH still isnt being too helpful, hopefully he will be soon!! Take care!

Esme, oooohhh first smiles!!!!! How gorgeous!! Enjoy! I cant wait until they happen here!!

Sue, DS sleeps for about an hour at one go most days, but that was a long time happening lol...no doubt he will be back to his 30min sleeps soon

Prama, how are you??

Okay better scoot, am meant to be cooking dinner!!

Hi all
    Happy Easter.

Think we are definately having a growth spurt. Bubs has gone from feeding every 4 hours during the day and sleeping really well at night to feeding every 2. - 3 hourly - my poor nipples !!

How do you all put your bubs to sleep. Do you just wrap them and put them in cot to "self settle" when you know they are tired or do you nurse, hold, rock etc until they are just about to nod off before putting in cot ??? I am currently rocking to sleep and if he stirs picking him back up to settle before putting in cot. Not too sure if I should be starting to let him try and self settle - even though this will mean a lot of crying which breaks my heart. Also he sleeps wrapped so if he cries and thrashes aroudn he will unwrap himself then I am not sure if he will then put himself to sleep.

Thoughts ??? Advice !!!

Also night feeds - do you change nappy before, during or after the night feed or just leave until morning ???

Thanks buddies.

Hi guys

Jacki - I settle DD before putting her down to sleep but before she goes down I wrap her really tightly so she can't unwrap herself in her sleep. If she does manage to unwrap herself, she always wakes herself up. I am starting to try and leave her if she wakes up to see if she will put herself back to sleep and not having much luck yet, but we are getting there.

In terms of changing, before I would change half way through the feed as she would start to fall asleep, but now that she is much more alert, I tend to wait til morning to change her if she is pretty sleepy, otherwise she wakes right up and wants play time! That seems to be working well and we are now getting a pretty good sleep pattern happening.

Have a great easter everyone! I hope the easter bunny brings you heaps of yummy chocolate!

Hi Jacki, I have started to put Noah down once he starts to yawn and nod off, once he hits the sheets he is normally has his eyes wide open again, but I just wrap him up and put him on his side and he falls asleep (most times anyways..lol) If he sooks for a bit I have started to just ignore him and he normally settles, if he gets too histerical then I do go in and resettle him . As for his nappy change, I do it before a feed.

Hi Jacki,

I have been trying to put Sophie to bed as soon as she looks tired so after about an hour and a half awake sometimes less. She is only having one sleep cycle in bed during the day and then she is up in the rocker or wherever for 40 mins and has another nap. But she is in bed by 7.00 7.30 and then just wakes for feeds until morning.
    She takes a little while to self settle but not too long. I avoid rocking as then they can expect to be rocked to sleep. I am not sure why she is only sleeping one sleep cycle though.LOL
    I tend to change her nappy before the feed and then only if she does a poo!!

Happy Easter Everyone.

Sue

hi girls.
    i didnt realise there was a new thread and didnt get any update.. i been missing all your posts.

bun - thanks hun. I'm doing well. still on going w bf. he seems to feed for more than an hr. he go on and on... i then give him some formula.
    esme/Sue -
    Lakshman seems to sleep a lot, sometimes im worried it's too much. he has a feed and then falls asleep and doesnt wake up till his next feed. i hope ths is ok. i'll ask his paed when we see him next friday. sometimes he's awake for an hr between feeds sometimes more. sometimes he gets cranly and restless and doesnt sleep between feeds. it's a bit hard to tell whats his pattern is like. if he has a feed and sleeps at 10ish (sometimes it's a bit of a struggle to get him to sleep) then he wakes up abt 4ish which is great. anything earler than 10, he wakes up at 2ish.

minky - lakshman is the same, he seems to fall asleep and as soon as you put him down, his eyes are wide open and he cries. you have to pick him up and he falls asleep again. its like a switch.. he's very cheeky!

i have a couple of Questions
    question 1
    When you're out and giving bub EBM, if it's already like 3 hrs since the last booby feed, do your boobs feel really full and feel they need to be emptied. What do you do when you;re out and dont want to bf. i find it hard when we go out and altho i have his EBM, my boobs are so heavy and uncomfy. then i just want to go home and express. so wahts the point of going out...

Question 2 -
    what are your bellies like? is it still wobbly? mine's still wobbly and saggy.. how long does it take till it gets flat. i know we need to do exercies as well..
    It was birthday yesterday, all of 35! and Steve is giving me a 3 mth gym membership at the leagues club as a birth present. they have a free creche so i can leave bub there during the day and get some exercise. i cant wait to go back to swim class as well!!!

have a great weekend..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRAMA!!!! I hope you had a lovely day yesterday!! I cant help you with your first question re going out and full boobies, as I plan my outings so that I am home in time to feed....there isnt a lot to do in this town, so I am normally only out for a couple of hours so it works well! As for your 2nd question, I am still flabby too. With my first baby it took a good year to when I really noticed a tighter tummy. It was only when she was 3 and I had a personal trainer that it was really a lot better....I havent done any excercise this time around, but once the weather gets cooler I hope to get walking!! We have a rowing machine in Perth too which I want to bring up here so hopefully that will help too when it gets here!! Just be patient with your belly, they say to give yoursefl at least 9 months before it all starts to fall back into place again! Just keep up with your good diet and excercise, the gym membership that hubby gave you will be a great help and motivation!!!!

Take Care!!

Thanks Minky!! It was a nice day, nothing much really but it was nice. too busy concentrating on bub!
    and thanks.. you've made me feel heaps better about my belly. i met 2 ladies at the chemist, one had her bub 2 weeks before me and the other 7 weeks. and they both had flat flat tummies.. i guess some women just naturally go back really quick. i thot bf was supposed to help too... maybe not everyone..

I'm in the jiggly belly group!! It's so not fair seeing those people that have flat tummies straight after. Thank goodness the weather is getting cooler nothing like a jumper to hide it hehe.

you said it Trina!! i was thinking the same, lucky it getting cooler. my summer clothes and t-shirts make look like i ahve a big gut...

Flabby here to. Don't worry about it Prama. You are better off spending more time with your little one rather than worrying about it and exercising to get rid of it.

Sue - I am trying not to rock DS to get him to sleep but he fights sleep so much and if I don't get him pretty settled before putting in cot he thrashes around, unwrapping himself and then there is no chance of him self settling .

Tips anyone on how to go about teaching him to self settle or when I should try. He is still so little and young.

Minky - hope the temp cools down up in PH soon. Finally a bit cooler in Perth for me and Bun this week - below 30 !!!!

Yippee - free to guiltlessly eat as much chocolate as we can tomorrow !!!!

Before I gorge myself tomorrow on eggies, does anyone know the effect chocolate has on breastmilk / babies??

Jacki, yeh the weather up here is weird at the mo, its meant to have cooled down a little, but we are still having stinkers, maybe its because we havent had any decent cyclones to bring in the cooler weather lol..glad to hear that its cooled down in Perth!!!!

Prama, I love your new pic of Lakshman on your ticker! He has changed heaps!!

Noah has had a horrible day today, I think he has slept maybe a total of three hours! No idea what he is up to! Hopefully he has a decent sleep tonight, he ran me ragged today!!!

I hope you are all very spoilt tomorrow!!! Enjoy!!!
    Last edited by *MinKy*; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Hi all, Happy Easter.

Jacki, I don't believe in CIO (and even if I did, my husband wouldn't let me do it) and I think 5 weeks is to young to expect Oliver to realise he is tired and should just go to sleep. He generally falls asleep on the boob or when I'm burping him. I do wrap him as he startles awake otherwise. He does stir during the day and need resettling and this week he has been having episode of full on crying in his sleep which I think may be wind, so a cuddle helps with that.

At night I change Oliver's bum before a feed as he tends to only have a quick (20min) feed without a break before falling back asleep. During the day I change mid-feed. I only feed from one side per feed generally, with the exception of the first feed of the day (about 7am) and the last feed before bed (about 10pm) as he is starving in the mornings and I want him to sleep at night.

Ashnat: Good luck with Alexander's Christening, let us know how it goes. We were going to have Oliver's baptism in June but SIL who lives in England is saying she might be back home for a visit in September so we may put it back until she is here, since she missed his birth etc.

Sueby: Oliver resists day sleeps as well but this has improved this week - he had started to fall into a pattern of a morning sleep for 2 or so hours, an afternoon sleep of 3 - 4 hours, and maybe a short nap in the evening if he isn't totally unsettled. Having said that, yesterday he didn't sleep hardly at all in the day. I'm not too concerned as long as he does sleep at night so well.

Esme: Yay on the smiles! Oliver smiled for the first time at hubby on Friday, and I got a big gummy one yesterday. So cute.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast