Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2006 #6

carlys Guest

Hi Ladies!

Thankyou for the welcomes!

Well, i am convinced Georgia is teething...she has developed this really strange cry...not her normal sounding cry..this 'pained' cry its really odd... and coupled with refusing her bottle and not sleeping longer than a couple of hours at a time at night..We are having a GREAT time!

Although, last night was okay.. here in Ballarat we have a chemist that sells teething mixture, which seemed to work well...I put her down at 7:30pm and she woke at 4:30 for a feed (which is normal for her) and up again at 6:30am...so not too bad.. fingers crossed that continues!

I have fully weaned from Breast feeding... well, Georgia only "breastfed" for 8 weeks...and then I have exclusively expressed for another 4 months...which was HARD, but worth it... I wish I could go for longer but I am getting Married in four weeks, so I decided leaky boobs in my wedding dress might not be such a good look!!

..anyway...she is now on solids... I started her quite early, as she just seemed to want to grab at what we were eating... so started at about four and a half months... I began by feeding her farex and boobie milk..and then introduced stewed apple...for a week, then added stewed pear... and then took out the apple, and added banana... for a week, then took out the pear...etc etc.. then I thought I should start vegies... of course I started with the sweetest pumpkin I could get (butternut) and added sweet potato...and now im onto broccoli...shes a champion too...eats STACKS... sometimes i wonder if I am feeding her too much... but she LOVES it.. and cries when the bowl is empty ...shes a funny little thing..!

I spoke to my mum about solids, and she said we all had yogurt at 6 months... so I asked the health nurse if she can have yogurt...and she said "if your mum said you had it with no worries, then YES!" so I started on baby Yogurt this week for a light lunch...again she loves it.. its her favorite, and the nurse said its very good for her....so now we are having 3 little meals a day!

My baby may turn into a little budda at this rate...

Hope you are all feeling a bit more rested.. and getting some sleep!

Love Carls xoxoxx

Last night i was feeling sick because i was so tired and i tried to get Charlotte down even with me but all she wanted to do was play, so i got up and gave her to tim and went back to bed, i woke up at 11:30 and she was asleep in the swing so i got her up and feed her and put her in her cot and she slept till 3:50am.
    I hope she starts going to sleep a bit earlier, i don't think i can cope well with out much sleep and a toddler.

Well we are off to the phillip island today and then my sister is doing laps in v8 holdon down there.

well we think we know why Corban is not feeling to well and why he will not sleep for more than 15 - 30 minutes at a time for going on four days now. we are wiped! Heidi just checked his mouth and the little bugger is suffering from "5" teeth coming in!

Fraser Guest

hey ladies - tired tired tired......... still waking multiple times at night

hang in there ladies - it HAS to get better!!!!! I'm thinking of all of you as I sit awake at 2.30am willing Charlie to go back to sleep!

speak soon, EM

Hi everyone

So sorry to everyone who is having sleep issues. I guess we are still here too but they keep changing. I went to Oconnell family centre to do a day stay and they offered some good tips to me for helping with settling Dylan as I was rocking him to sleep now I am butt patting and doing the walk in and out of the room thing but not controlled crying. They also advised me to be using the same beddy byes routine for all sleeps ie book, nigh nighs, music, and into bed which is going well but Dylan still won't sleep for longer than 40 mins at a time during the day although I got him to sleep for almost two hours today in the middle of the day sleep which was amazing so I am hoping it will continue. Last night he went to sleep at 7.30ish then woke at 8.30, 12, 2 and I fed him, 4.45, 5.25and then he came into bed with us and then at 7.10 aaaggghhhh is it their age do you think cos everyone is going through this well in this little group anyway.

On the solids front Dylan is loving everything I give him except broccoli but he will eat it mixed with one of his fave orange rooot vegies. I started him on baby porridge on thursday morning mixed with formula and he loves this and today he has tried baby yoghurt which he pulled a face at but then opened his mouth for more. I am going to introduce a third meal either today or tomorrow which will be vegies mixed with rice cereal and will see how we go. So on the list of foods he has tried are rice cereal, pumpkin, apple, pear, sweet potato, potato, carrot, baby porridge and baby yoghurt. Next I am going to try him on peaches and then zucchini and some more greens and then cauliflower and then I am going to add cheese to vegies mmmmmm! Then I will introduce meat like chicken or something. Also I was thinking of starting him on rusks as he wanted my biscuit and my toast the last couple of days so I think he is ready for these.

Sorry for no personals everyone I am so busy with the house renos and going back and forth plus I am having my mothers group here tomorrow and have been busy cleaning like a mad woman.

Hope the bubbas sleep tonight.

carlys Guest

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all well, and getting some more sleep...

Georgia is sprouting her first two bottom teeth, i discovered these cute little pearly gums the other day...so they are not far from cutting...poor little bubba, no wonder shes been grumpy, and awake every hour! My local chemist also sells a blend for teething that helps ease the discomfort, and help bubs sleep...so i gave it a go for the past two nights... worked like a charm thank the stars..I was feeling ****ty with no sleep... at was altering my personality Georgia slept from 7:30pm till 6am!! and last night she went down at 7:30pm, awake at 3:30am...stuck the dummy back in her jib, and she slept til 6am! NICE! hoping to have the same again tonight... the chemist recommended to give her this mixture for a week, to get her back into a routine..as he said its better for her to be rested, and comfortable... than to let her suffer... plus it works for me too! We all get some sleep... which is good for the sanity!

KELLY - Hope you're feeling better... i think we are all in the same boat for the moment.. Im sure it will get better.. Hope Charlotte sleeps heaps tonight...'sleepy vibes'

CASSIE - Sounds like Dylan and Georgia are on the same page with solids - Georgia has had the same things that your bubba has tried... Im not sure when to introduce cheese or meat? Whats your plan with that?

Em - 'Sleepy vibes' to Charlie too! Awww..poor you

DUSTMITE - Oh my goodness FIVE teeth, which ones?? poor little darling... I thought Georgia was doing it hard! Poor little man.. Did he start refusing feeds recently? Georgia WILL NOT drink a full bottle... up till now, she was on 200ml per feed... now im lucky if she takes 100ml ... teething symptom maybe? How has Corban been with feeds?

Hope I have all your names right?!! Sorry if I made any mistakes Gals!

Take Care all

Carls xoxoxox

Evenin all

Carlys Not sure about when to introduce the meat and cheese but one of the girls in my mothers group has this book that steps the introduction of solids out for you and she is bringing me some photocopied pages tomorrow to our mothers group session so I will tell you what that says. I think I am going to introuduce cheese into Dylans vegies first just a little grated cheese and at some stage in the next couple of weeks try some pureed chicken though not sure on that as I don't know how well chicken will puree. Anyway just wanted to answer your question. What is the stuff you have that the chemist recommended for teething/sleep?

Nigh night all.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

tip for adding meat ...cook chicken/beef and then freeze it in whole piece - take it out frozen and grate a little into purreed vegies - works perfectly - fine grated it can be eaten easily .Either cut off a small piece or grate it as chunk and put back in freezer.
    Years ago with Ds (13) I could never get it pureed enoguh or chop small enough and he chewed it for ages (teeth) and then would end up spitting it out.
    Goes like grated chocolate flakes. I can use small garte or large grate for later.

Fee Guest

Cooper was SOOOOOO good on Friday! He has settled on his own for 3 sleeps. He maybe grizzled for about 10 minutes but I didn't need to go in at all. But they were still short naps only 30 minutes. Also he actually OPENED his mouth for food on Friday! Yay! He still wasn't enthusiastic but when I put the spoon near him he opened up. I wouldn't say he was begging for the food but at least I didn't have to trick him. It was the first time since we've started that I've really felt like he's eating properly. That was Day 14 of solids. Since then I've tried banana and he didn't seem to like that and wouldn't open up.

He's still waking early. Around 4.00 am or 4.30 am. Yesterday was a shocker. He woke at 4.00 am and had a feed but then wouldn't go back to sleep! This morning he woke even earlier at 3.30 am. But at least he went back to bed after I fed him. I tried to resettle him as I KNOW he can sleep through the night until 5.00 am without a feed. But he seemed wide awake and wouldn't go back to sleep so I gave in and fed him (he was crying loudly). Maybe a growth spurt? I have no idea what's with the waking! I do know that "Baby Love" has a section on night waking after 6 months and says it's not uncommon for babies who have slept through, to start waking and calling out for a feed. I'll have to re-read it.

Baby~amore - Gee that's so funny that Joel loves solids and Sam doesn't! As for the Fresh Food Feeder by Tommee Tippee, you can buy them in Big W, Target, Coles etc.

Mads - I've also tried different combos with Cooper (re solids). When I try a new fruit or vegie I try it on it's own, then with Farex etc. It doesn't seem to make a difference! I've tried each vegie for a few days and then moved on.

So far I've done:

Day 1-4 = plain Farex
    Day 4-6 = Pumpkin / Farex
    Day 7-8 = plain Farex
    Day 8-11 = Sweet potato / Farex
    Day 11-15 = Pear / Farex
    Day 16 = Banana / Farex

I also wanted to try vegies first but I gave in because he wasn't eating anything! But then he didn't even take to the pear straight away either. I think when he got the hang of it on Day 14 it was just that - he finally "got it". It wasn't because it was fruit IYKWIM.

Here is some info someone gave me:

Research has shown that babies opt for familiar foods, so offer your baby a new food up to 10 times before concluding that they don't like it. This can, of course, prove frustrating, but keep your manner calm and measured so your baby doesn't associate feed times with negative feelings.

kmh - Just Google Tommee Tippee Fresh Food Feeder so you can see a pic. Otherwise there are some photos in my Yahoo website below of Cooper using one. They are little mesh bags on a handle. You can put pieces of food in the bag for bubs to taste and they can't chew off and choke on large bits. It can also be used as a teether. I put ice cubes in it for Cooper to suck! Otherwise he waves it around like it's a rattle!

Cooper still feeds about 3 hourly most of the time - 5 feeds per day. I would like to continue BFing after Cooper turns 1 year old. That's my plan anyway! And yes I still leak. I wear breast pads 24/7. I have quite a big let down so when I feed Cooper the other boob leaks. And of course I leak overnight too.

RoyaUK - Holy cow... 1 hour to feed Sarina! You are patient. Does she still seem interested after that time? I only spend about 5 minutes feeding Cooper. He ends up turning his head or clamping his lips together! I'm still only trying solids once a day until he gets the hang of it properly. Then I'll introduce a second meal. I don't want to waste food!

CC - Ally is chowing down that food - well done!

carlys - Well done for exclusively expressing for so long. That's wonderful. You should be proud.

About introducing meat and cheese... A book I have says dairy products from 7 months and meat from 7 months.

Dustmite - Wowee 5 teeth! Poor little man.

Fraser - Hang in there mate!

Cassie - I might try that tip of the same bed time routine for all naps. I only have a routine for night time bed time. But I might do story etc at other naps?

Mads- that is just wonderful, yay for Freya getting to sleep by her self. I can only hope things improve for you, good luck for the rest of the week.

I was talking to a lady that used to work at a sleep school, and she was saying that Charlotte isn't taking to solids because she is still waking for night feeds, also that she should be sleeping through the night and she is only waking becuase she is so used to waking and needs (.)(.) to go back to sleep. I have rang another sleep school today and will get a phone call towards the end of the month and everyone i have been talking to says that we need to attend sleep school but for a few nights. I really hate leaving Charlotte to cry, but i really need some more sleep. Latley she has been going to bed about 10-11pm and then waking around 2am and then 6am and then getting up for the day about 8:30am.

Fee- Cooper is getting really big, I will have to look for that food thing, looks great.

carlys Guest

Well, looks like everyone is getting at least some answers about the lack of sleep we are having!... That is very interesting about the self settling thing... I have been doing a bit of controlled crying... (almost in tears myself during, by the way!) only ever let her cry for about four minutes at the absolute most... as in, one minute, then come in and roll her on her side facing away from me, doing "shh shh shh" pat pat pat... until she stops...then leaving the room...for two mins... and repeating, then three, and repeating...by the time it gets to three or four times shes asleep... have only had to do it three times, and nows shes getting the picture...and seems to settle and sleep longer when she self settles (as opposed to being nursed to sleep or rocked).. so there is light at the end of this sleep deprived tunnel! Its hard to cope with controlled crying, but I have heard the same thing..its like a 'getting it out of their system' thing..and they relax and learn to self settle..I was strongly against it myself, but after a week of no more than one hour stretches of sleep..I had to try something... !!

Cassie - the teething mixture I get is a blend my local chemist makes.. its not a self bought remedy.. it has paracetamol and a gentle antehistamine.. its a VERY low dose, everyone in Ballarat swears by it.. and it does seem to provide some rest and comfort...more than just panadol.

take care all

Carls xo

Hi all,
    well i am not coping the best over night, i got Charlotte done about 9:20am after her being rocked to sleep, and then i went to bed just after 9:30, we were back up at 10:30 for a feed, into bed, back up at 12:20 to come into bed with me awake and tossing at 1:30 till 2:20 then another feed and then in bed till 6:45, feed back into bed till 8:50am, so I am getting sleep buts not until early morning, I rang a sleep school again and hopefully they will get back to me by tonight, or if a calcelation happens just for a phone call.

Cassie- how is Dylan going with his sleep?

Fraser Guest

hey guys - well after a couple of really rotten nights Charlie has sprouted two teeth!! bottom two at the front - it's really strange - I was so excited when I felt them I almost dropped him! what a clever boy. *sniff* my baby is growing up.....

Mads - yaay for the tresillian lady - how are things now with madam?

Kelly - hang in there - perhaps Charlotte is about to pop a tooth too!

Carly - I think when you get to the point where they wont sleep you need to try everything - sounds like you're doing a fantastic job - well done

Cassie - how is Dylan going - has a tooth popped out yet?

Fee - You are the most organised person I think I know!!! gawd I can't remember what I fed Charlie a week ago let alone two! I need to get my act together and start adding things in - so far he's only had sweet potatoe, pumpkin, farex and pear. I just didn't want to mess with him when he was having trouble sleeping.

BabyAmore - thanks for the meat tip (that sounds weird...) the whole meat thing makes me a bit nervous - not sure how to cook it and for how long etc etc - but that sounds like a good idea.

Hello to CC, Baiza, Dustmite, Roya and anyone else - it's suddenly become very busy in here! I know I've missed some people (where are you Bubs and Boisey???)

I feel pretty good today - went to Yoga last night and got a five hour block of sleep - who hoo!!!

speak soon - I hear muttering from the babies room.....

Fee Guest

We decided to give Cooper a second meal yesterday just before his bath time. Mark fed him some Farex and pear and he ate it all up. So I'm thinking he definitely doesn't like banana. I tried banana again this morning and he didn't want a bar of it. I don't know whether to keep going with a second meal yet. I just tried it yesterday to see what he did with it.

He woke at 4.00 am again this morning and I fed him. For a while there I thought he wasn't going to go back to sleep but eventually he did and slept until sometime after 6.00 am. Mark was up getting ready for work so he looked after him while I stayed in bed until about 7.00 am.

I really don't understand why he's waking at 4.00 am instead of 5.00 am. I feel bad complaining when some of you are being woken a number of times during the night. But I guess for what I am used to, this is not good!!!

He's slept well today. He's had 2 naps already which were over 1 hour each and he settled himself with minimal grizzling. He's just gone down for a third nap now.

We're going away this weekend for 2 nights (Friday and Saturday) - down to Kingscliff. Cooper's first trip interstate! We're going with Mark's family for his dad's birthday.

Mads Glad to hear Freya had a good night sleep last night. That is fantastic news. I'm very happy for you. I hope can get some sleep too!

Don't feel too bad about the dirty nappy. That's happened to me before. Sometimes they are very sneaky with their poos!

kmh I hope you hear from the sleep school tonight.

carlys Doing CC must be so hard. I hope it keeps working for you!

Fraser I've been writing down everything I have been feeding Cooper (just in a Word document). I get a bit pedantic that way. Remember, I wrote down Cooper's feeds, poos and wees for 6 months!!! I hope I don't get obsessed with writing down his solids. I thought it might be handy initially. I won't do it for too long I don't think.

Yay for Charlie's teeth!

Mads- I too am still wrapping, I might try Charlotte unwrapped tonight, i have a sleeping bag, will let you know how i go. Has Freya alsways woken up from her night sleep after 30mins stc, Charlotte does this and she calls out, i go in there and she still has her dummy.
    I got a call from a sleep school in Rosebud today, i have booked into one night next week, i have to organise MAdison first, with whom she will stay with as Tim has to work, otherwise i may have to take her with me.

Fee- lol at you keeping record of Coopers wee's and poo's. I think its good keeping record of solids as you can learn what they like etc.

Evenin everyone

Well I am all alone tonight oh well except for Dylan but he is fast asleep. My hubby is down at our house in Sorrento doing some work sniff! I miss him when he is gone but I also really appreciate the room in the bed particularly if I need to bring Dylan in there with me.

I am the worst mummy in the world. Dylan had dropped 4 dummys down the side of his cot which is against a wall and so I made it a mission this arvo to get under there which is a feat in itself with my big breastfeeding boobies, anyway I put Dylan on our bed with pillows and cushions all around him at the edges and at the head of the bed and I was under the cot for all of a minute and then I hear this bang and Dylan had fallen off the bed I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it and of course he burst into hysterical crying immediately and then I did too and then I gave him a feed straight away while checking him all out to make sure he wasn't hurt and he seemed ok but geez I won't be doing that again. I feel so bad I was sure he couldn't roll up and over pillows but he obviously can. So no more leaving him on the bed. I had to call my husband to tell him and he was worried but wasn't mad at me.

We had Gymbaroo today and so Dylan missed his middle of the day nap as I had to take him to Gymbaroo on the bus in the hug-a-bub and was hoping he would fall asleep in that but no he was too interested in everything around him ie the traffic, the bus, the people getting on the bus, he is a little stickybeak. So on our way home he fell asleep in the hug-a-bub yay and then when we got home I managed to get him out of it without waking him and popped him on our bed for some more sleep and then he slept for maybe another 15 minutes so tonight I fed him his milk and his solids (second dinner) and gave him a bath and then put him to bed at 6.30 after story, nigh nighs, etc and he went to sleep without patting, rocking, shhhhing yay! Hoping it may continue but feel this was a one off as he usually has three naps and today had only two plus a tiring session of gymbaroo and the fall off the bed so was probably quite tired. But fingers crossed.

KMH Well the sleep thing for us is improving I am doing the butt patting thing for each sleep and the read, nigh nighs, music for all sleeps (when I remember) so settling is getting better and also on Sunday Dylan had an almost two hour middle of the day nap and then this morning he had a one and a half hour nap so the 40-45 mins naps are improving I hope. We still have waking up issues some nights like every hour and also when he has his middle of the night feed (bw 1 and 4am) he doesn't settle back to sleep very well but apparantly once bubs are having three solid meals a day ie with protein included (meat, lentils, etc) then that feed can be eliminated and I guess when he woke for that feed I would just resettle him which woiuld be great unless of course he was very hungry and then I would feed him. Ah the joys of sleepless babies. I hope the Rosebud sleep school helps you.

Fee I think it is great you are writing it all down becase if Cooper gets any allergic reactions to anything at least you will know and also you can keep the record for reference with your next bub.

Mads Don't feel bad about the wrapping thing you were doing what you thought was right for Freya. I wrapped Dylan til quite late too but stopped and now use a sleeping bag or PJs and s sheet tightly tucked over him. Oh and Freya will start to like her solids soon just perservere with it.

Fraser Yay for Charlie's teeth. No teeth for Dylan yet but I do check every day LOL. I kept getting worried that they would pop out before I got a chance to take a gummy toothed smiley photo of him but manage to kind of get one the other day. Oh and I am worried about the biting of the nipple factor as he is biting then now I am sure it will hurt more when he has teeth yowwwch!

Anyway I am going to have an early night and hopefully get a good nights sleep.
    Byeee

Cassie - I know the feeling about bubs falling...the first time Sarina ever rolled was straight off the bed. I subsequently learnt that it happens to many babies, that babies are tougher than we think, and that it's just the first knock of many. Doesn't stop you feeling guilty though! Which Gymbaroo do you go to? We're also in Melbourne and looking at starting it soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for constipation (in bubs)?

Sarina is breastfed and reluctantly eating 2 small meals a day but hasn't done a poo since Friday morning (almost 5 days). She's quite out of sorts and uncomfortable. I've stopped rice cereal and just giving apple and pear puree. I'm massaging her tummy a couple of times a day and today gave a little prune juice.

I'm a bit worried as she normally does a couple a day and I can feel her tummy is hard where her intestine is. Any tips?

Fee Guest

Cooper seems to be enjoying pear puree with Farex. We gave him "dinner" again yesterday and he kept opening his mouth up for it. He even grabbed the spoon and was helping with the feeding!

I will try apple next and see if he likes that. I think I'll give up on the banana for now! I offered it again this morning and that will be the last one for a while. I am going to try all the vegies again soon too. I still have pumpkin and sweet potato in the freezer. I might continue with pear or apple in the mornings and try different vegies in the evening.

He's been full of giggles over the last few days. It doesn't take much to get him laughing. He especially loves standing up on the couch holding onto the back of it while he looks out the window. He's been so happy. I just love it. He's so much fun.

He still woke early this morning 4.30 am. I fed him and he went back to sleep until around 6.30 am. Then he went down for his first nap of the day around 8.00 am without any grizzling whatsoever. He's still asleep now which is great.

kmh Did you try the sleeping bag last night with Charlotte?

Cassie Oh you poor thing with Dylan rolling off the bed. What a fright you both must have got. A girl from my mother's group just did the exact same thing a couple of days ago. I've knocked Cooper's head before and felt awful.

What's Gymbaroo like? What happens there?

RoyaUK I can see from your ticker pic that you have the same IKEA highchair as us. It's great. But we are still yet to buy the tray. They were out of stock when we bought the chair.

Sorry I don't have any tips about constipation. Cooper still poos quite a lot.

Mads Hallelujah! Yay for Freya! Woohooooooo! I hope you can get some herbal tablets which help you sleep.

Kingscliff is in NSW. It's just over the border for us. It's just south of Tweed Heads.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast