Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2007 #7

sacha - i use s26 gold - i started with just S26 as that what my mum used and it seemed really popular - soo popular in fact the local supermarket keeps selling out so one day the Gold was on special and michael really took to it and i've never looked back

Megan76 Guest

Can anyone else who has a catnapper tell me what they do during the day if babies wake after 20-40 mins? Do you just get them up, or try and get them to sleep longer, if so, how? Does anyone know how much sleep babies of this age need? Lucas has been sleeping all night this week, but is having pretty dodgy day sleeps and not sure if i should be concerned???

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post

Sacha, I ff Noah and I use Karicare Gold because this is what the hospital used when Noah had to be tube fed so then when the CHN advised me to top him up due to no weight gain that is what I bought. It is $21 @ Big W (that's where its cheapest) Noah has never had any constipation or any probs that can come with formula. I asked the CHN and have done some research and they say that seeing as its not know exactly what is in breastmilk it it impossible to say which formula is closest to bm. Ive been advised to choose formula based on what is cheapest/works for your baby. I did try one can of Heinz Nurture it was only $11 but that made Noah really unsettled and a bit windy so I have just switched back to what I know works really well for Noah. So I reckon just pick something you are comfy with and see if it works seeing as it is only for the occasional feeds maybe you could try the little sachets you can buy for about $1 tht way you'll know if you like it b4 u buy a whole tin!

V, I have a feeling Noah could be teething too I keep looking for bumps in his gums but nothing yet!
    Last edited by Jas; October 25th, 2007 at 09:48 PM.

Hi ladies

Well today has been a good day, i woke up at 9.20am and Ethan had been asleep for 8.5hrs!! I had 5hrs solid UN-interrupted sleep The bad side to that was that i was supposed to meet a lady from my mothers group, Rachael at 9.20am and go to the massage course at 9.30am, oops, she was okay with it though and she went with out me and i just met her there, was 30mins late though. Ethan was fantastic and loved the massage, we only did leg and feet techniques today, which was good as Ethan started to get fidgety after half an hour and we (there was only me, Rachael and the instructor!) just sat around talking. After the class i went back to Rachaels for about 45mins and Ethan slept the whole time.

Sacha- I use S-26 Gold and we have had no problems. The hospital here uses and recommended this formula so thats why i got it.

Megan- Ethan is a catnapper too and when he wakes if he still seems tired i will try to get him back to sleep again, but i dont let him get to cranky as then he gets grizzly, otherwise i just get him up. I read that babies around this age need 13 to 15hrs sleep in a 24hr period, not sure though. Yes i agree that i should have been in bed in the middle of the night to LOL.

Danielle- I hope things work out for you at the dr tommorrow. Good luck.

Veronica- Avaleigh is growing very nicely I am having suspicions that Ethan may be starting to teethe also, but he might be getting sick, im not sure.

Okay Ladies well i must go as ethan has just fallen asleep in my arms and i have promised myself that i will be in bed by 9.30 - 10 at the latest, so i best put him to bed before he gets to comfy! I have my fingers crossed he sleeps like lastnight.

Goodnight Ladies

Wow another busy day in here!!!
    Micheals Mum- I love this forum to!!! I dont feel so silly to ask questions here. My mum passed away while I was Pg, and I had so many questions while PG, and I am a proud person, so wont ask MIL and no close friends have had bubs. I usueally search the forums and find the answers I am looking for- as someone else has usually asked the question already. Its also great chatting to mums that are going through exactly the same thing!

TOJ- I know what you mean about not wanting to be out down. Kaetlyn was like that all last week, and seems to be better this week- i think it was the growth spurt she just had I dont like the growth spurts, it means she is growing up . I hope your massage class went well. It would be interesting. I dont think they have anything like that here (and I live in a big city).

Dee- welcome back, you must be so busy!! With seven kids!! I am flat chat with one, jsut to keep the house tidy!

Mrs Daisy- LMAO @ supernanny! its funny their weird ideas- except that i was the one that had to go out that day and get a sleepign bag, wash it all so we could trial no wrapping that night!!!

Megan- yes on the sqealing thing!!!! and when she is tired she certainly lets us know with her squealing as well.
    Re catnapping- Since Kaetlyn has been sleeping through she naps throughout the day. I guess if he is still tired upon waking, try and get him to resettle- mostly kaetlyn wont resettle and sleeps for about half hour at a time. If at night he is clearly over tired, i would get him to sleep more through the day. I know it is hard. If he is grizzly then I would definatly try and get him to resettle.

Star- our mothers group hasnt started yet, and am haging out for it. what is CYH class? we dont have those around here i think. Good luck with the self settling. We had a cousin who as a baby was roaked to sleep every night and still at 2 needs to be rocked to bed as he cant put himself to sleep. I have visions of doing that later on, so am putting muself thorugh the stresses now of doing it, that way when I go back to work, i wont have to worry about it.
    Re: spoiling- i was at the shops today looking for christmas presents for kaetlyn when i ran into a friends mum, and she said, they dont need much at this age, as she will only be five months, only get her one or two things, as save my money until she is older and when she can appreciate things more' still? cant i spoil my child???

V- oh on the teething. I am dreadding that for when it starts. As if you didn't have enough on your plate? I didnt realise we were ment to have a 12 week check up. best do that next week! It will be interesting to see what Kaeltyn is compared to Avaleigh as they were born pretty much the same size from memory.

Danielle- good luck with t he building up of supply!

Well now I am going to vent!!!
    DH decided that while I was a netball he was going to get Kaetlyn to sleep with him in front of the TV on the lounge. All good except that we have the issue of she gets used to it and find it hard to get her to sleep by herslef. Yesterday she went to sleep by herself all the time and when it was time to go in the cot she went to sleep straight away by herself. So tonight when I out her in the cot, she screamed blue murder. DH had gone to bed, so I had to contend with it all by myself. I know that he misses her while he is at work, but it makes my job 500 times harder when he comes home and 'breaks the rules' - mind you it was his rule that no one is to rock her to sleep as it causes the problems in the first place.

Well, enough venting, I am going to put some nappies on to wash and go to bed. Hopefully it is another good night and Kaeltyn wont wkat up for her feed until 9.30am again!

Megan - In the early weeks, like from 1 week to 6/7 weeks Avaleigh didnt sleep much at all during the day, would only sleep while I was holding her so very hard to do anything!! These days she may have long sleeps during the day or just a catnap and because she feeds every 3 hours during the day her sleep may only be 30 or 40 mins depending on how quickly she fell asleep after the last feed and play! So by the time she wakes up again, its time to feed! How is Lucas after a catnap?? Realy wide awake or still tired? If he is tired, put him back to sleep but if he's awake then have a play!! And I dont think you have anything to worry about him being awake during the day. I always see it as they are enjoying the world during the day and sleeping all night long!

Dee - hello there!! I was wondering how you were going the other day. Must be busy with all your kids!

Sara - I dont remember if our girls were the same size??!! Avaleigh was 7lbs12oz or around 3.5kg. How much was Kaetlyn?

Went out shopping at Kmart today and they had 25% of all clothes!! So I bought some cute outfits for Avaleigh. I cant wait to get them washed so Avaleigh can wear them. I've just gone through two boxes of girl clothes from size 2 - 6 that I got from Jason's stepdad's daughter. Its going to be a while before Avaleigh fits in to them!!

Hey has anyone noticed the 12 week change??? I remember some people were talking about it in the last thread but I kinda just skimmed over it. Avaleigh seems to be OK and is just in her usual routine so maybe we have passed it or maybe it is still to come?? I know she was really fussy tonight with feeding but I figure that was because she was so tired and we were out shopping. Avaleigh is fully in to sucking her fist at the moment. Its so funny and she actually sucks quite loud!! I got a teething ring in the fridge, will try that out on her tomorrow. Are our bubs too young for those rusk thingys??

Doh! Its late.. better get to bed.

Hi all,

Mgan, I so agree, it would be much easier on everyone if they just stayed asleep.
    Xavier squeals when he's really hungry and I'm not feeding him or carrying him. He is generally in his pram when this happens. It is not a happy squeal. Have you tried the pram for a short walk right after a feed. He may be more content and drift off to sleep. I always plan our walks around a feed.
    Sleep: I've been told by many people not to mess up the night time sleep. so I wouldn't stress too much if I were you. sometimes I try to get Xavier back to sleep, but I use the cry to judge. I've also found that a good time of chatting and playing quite often end in a much better sleep, however it means I need to spend about an entire hour focusing on him and nothing else.

Jessikah, I think it's a general rule that when you want to go somewhere you or bubs will sleep in at least once. I'm a little jealous though.

Sara, everyone says that babies don't need much etc, etc, and then all the grandparents and things will spoil them too, so I say if you want to buy something for your child go for it, 'cause at least it will be something that you want her to have iykwim. EG I like all the wooden toys, I'm not a big fan of batteries. Smack smack for Mr Blueflower, But boys are hard to train. I find they need reminding. like I would probably tell Nathan how good it had been and that he's starting to settle himself, and then follow it up with a gentle warning, so don't muck up all my hard work, or you will be fixing it. Of course I would never trust him to fix it, but the threat is required I feel.

Dee, I missed your post. Great to hear you haven't been completely overrun.
    Star, good to hear from you, and great Amelie is doing well. I'm really enjoying my mums group too, and was a little annoyed it took so long to get started, but now i'm thinking it's not such a bad thing because it means I get to see a health nurse every week, and we are in between our 8 week and 4 month checkups, so it meant yesterday I was able to get him weighed and measured etc and I can bring up any concerns I might have.

Sacha, I don't think I've been "sworn" at but I do get the telling off of a life time if I don't respond quick enough. I get a really whingey whiny tone, from Mr Attitude. I swear this kid has multiple personalities.

Veronica, teething, how scary. lol I've heard they only bite once Fingers crossed it will be quick and not too drawn out for you. Not sure about the rusks, probably best t wait a while because when they get all mushy she might get a lump of it her throat. Safer with a teething ring. Is there an age rating on bonjella??

V, Yeah, bubs cant have those teething rusks yet..
    Maddy breezed through teething as she got her 1st tooth around 10-11mths so could hold a teething ring etc & knew to chew on it, so she literally just got teeth with no problem..
    Indah cut her first tooth around 10wks & ofcourse had no idea a cold teething ring or frozen wet facewasher etc would help the pain, as she was a tiny baby so all she ever did was cry & feed! We spent so many nights awake with her & it was so exhausting...
    Zy has been chewing on his fists for a few wks & dribbling so badly, all his tops are soaked at the neck/front...
    I am hoping it isnt teeth coming (dribbling doesnt always mean teething) so I am hoping he'll not cut a tooth til MUCH later!!
    You cant really do much with a baby, not sure when Bonjela can be used, I think it's after 6mths, you could try the herbal/natural (Brauers) teething relief, not sure what age that can be used either though? Indah also bit me while feeding too, which is a pain...

V, Zy was 7lb12 born & is now 6.4kgs, he has the rollls on his thighs, sim,ilar to mine... hee hee

Um, to whomever wanted to increase their supply (sorry I have forgotten names etc) plus this is the 5th time I have come back to this post now...
    Offer breast/s every hour if you can, drink heaps of water, express in between feeds if bubs is asleep... Apparently the feed we are currently doing is planning/making our supply for 12 feeds ahead so thats how long it will take for the increase to be noticeable.. for those whom only feed 4 times a day it will take 3 days for supply to increase, where as, in my case with Zy feeding anything from 6-10 times a day it will happen in less than 2 days... IYKWIM..

ok school run time...

Mel, I am thinking of you & Charlize, hope you get some answers & it's all OK...

Hi all,

WOW! So much to catch up on, I will try my best through out the day. Hope everyone is doing well and bubbas are little angels.

Does anyone use a Ergo baby carrier? I am thinking of getting one today - are the easy?

haha Olivia is talking to herself. I can almost pick it - 9:30 she will wake for a little and have a little chat and then drift back off to sleep! She is doing well, 6.5kg!! She is on full formula now and I am not feeling so guilyt about it anymore. We have been lucky with her as she is a great sleeper, she is going through from 8pm-7am now and during the day she is pretty good other than from 4-7pm the usual time. She cracks it when I take her out when she is meant to be sleeping - she will cry for ages!! So I need to get her a sling, I have a old one but I am not confident with it, but she loved it and was looking all around for about 1 1/2 hours while I was at the shops.

Hope everyone is doing well.
    WIll try and catch up, sorry I haven't posted for awhile, I don't get much time on here as I am out quite a bit and our internet has been slow for the pat 2 weeks (opps i used up all our download time and it turned to dial up speed until the month started again hahaha)

Floss xx

question - do you have your babies sleep in darkness during the day as well? We tried it awhile ago but she didn't like the light coming in - but my Mum thought that she won't get used to light if you keep her in complete darkness during the day sleeps?

Also - wrapping...I want to stop wrapping Olivia but will her little hands get cold? This morning we went in there to get her for her feed and her hands were out and her feet were out - the wrap was around her waist!! hahah - maybe I should start to wean her from the wrap? Any suggestions?

Morning everyone!

I am back from our morning walk, we have been out 5 times this week!! I love my morning walks, I come back feeling refreshed and ready for the day!!

I think that bonjela can be used from 4 months, I will check the packaging again. I might look in to getting the brauers teething cause we used the colic relief and that was great!! But we will wait and see how she goes. fingers crossed Avaleigh will be OK with getting her teeth through!!

Flossie - Avaleigh sleeps with her blinds open in her room so it is fairly light. She never really had a problem with sleeping in a bright room. Maybe once Olivia is asleep, open up the blinds and see what happens?? Or maybe have the blinds open letting in a little light and each day make the room a little brighter?? I havent wrapped Avaleigh since she was 6 weeks old and even when I wrapped her, her hands would get out and be cold but they never seemed to bother her!! If you want to wean her off the best way is probably to do it in steps, maybe not wrap her so tightly one night, next night wrap her with her arms out and so forth.

hmnmmmm there was a question that I wanted to ask but I cant remember!!

I hae a question but its not the first one that I thought of (I dont think!). What do you dress your baby in when it is really warm at night?? The other night, Avaleigh went to bed and it was 25 degrees in her room so I dressed her in a jumpsuit and didnt put the covers over her cause I was afraid she'd get too hot. I saw in the shops yesterday that there we some pj sets for babies and was thinking of maybe buying some...

Oh, one of our friends had a baby last night!! A baby girl called Amelia and she was over 9lbs. So that is 3 girls in our group now. I knew it was going to be a girl too!! I am a bit torn as to if I should give her all of Avaleigh's clothes that she has grown out of??? I kinda want to keep them for the next baby if its a girl but I think it would be nice to pass them on. What do you think??

Anyway, better go and have a shower while Avaleigh is asleep!

Oh Oh!!! I remember my question LOL Because Avaleigh is drooling so much she is getting really red in her neck rolls!! I am trying to keep it dry and clean in there but it is soooo hard to get her chin up so I can get in there and clean it. Any suggestion on what to do?? She is always opening her mouth and trying to bite my fingers. Also, how to you keep it clean?? The child nurse told me to treat it like her bum, so wipe it clean and then put baby powder on it to keep it dry.

I got some exciting news!! well it is for me hehe I have lost 16kg since having Avaleigh and only have another 4 kg to go and I will be the weight I was when I got pregnant!! I hope I can lose the 4 kg by my wedding, I will be evenhappier if I lose even more for me wedding!! WOOHOO
    Last edited by Ngala; October 26th, 2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Remembered my question

HI all,

I'm back for seconds as xavier decided to have another sleep.

We are now officially at 12 weeks old. Not sure if we had a bad week leading up to it or not, I'm thinking we had that at 11 weeks. He's now a healthy little 6.08kg's (13lb 6oz) a nice long 63 cm and his head is 40.8cm. about another kg and he would have doubled his birth weight. scary huh.
    He has been dribbling and chowing down on his fists for feels like weeks and weeks now, but I too am hoping that he is no where near teething.

Tracey, did Indah only bite you the once, or a few times. I've been told that if you let out a bit of a yelp it shocks them and they don't do it again, but I guess at 10 weeks she may have been too little to understand yet??

Floss, How cute, talking to herself, i wish Xavier would do that.
    Sleeping during the day, different people have different ideas. Some people say it helps a baby work out day from night if they are exposed to light during day sleeps. But then if you talk to a paed or optometrist they may suggest that sleeping with light can damage eyes. I guess the biggest question is will they get used to falling asleep while it's light and then not sleep when it's dark? I know which i would prefer. The darkening of the room could also be a good trigger for the daytime sleeps. I'm sure your mum wouldn't have the blinds up if she was having a Nana nap
    Cold hands, I'f she's not fussed then don't you worry, it's warming up anyway. If she's wearing wonder suits, they have gloves built in, otherwise a little pair of mittens. Or if you don't have any of those lying around a pair of socks works too. Try her without wrapping during the day, if that works, pick a night where you will have a helper the following day if you end up getting up a few times, and try her out. We had no troubles with Xavier he was quite happy to not be wrapped.

Veronica, our really hot night the other day I had xavier in a light bonds suit without feet and no singlet. I put him down with just the sheet over him, and then before I went to bed I covered him up a little better for when the temp droped in the early morning.
    I'm keeping all Xaviers good clothes and sleep suits for next baby, regardless of what my SIL has. If I was not planning anymore, I would happily give some away, but I think it would be a waste of money to ditch them all when we are planning more.
    Cleaning face, you know those disposable make up removers, swisspers ?? I buy home brand ones to clean xaviers bum and they work really well for face too, in a little water. Also good for drying too. Much easier than cotton buds, and less cumbersome than a washer. It's also easier for us when he's on his change table because he looks up at his plane mobil and exposes his neck. I always have some on hand because if i use too many wipes, he gets nappy rash. Yet has a beautiful smooth babies bum when I use make up removers with water.

Hi everyone - this may just be a quick post as Tom seems to be auditioning for a role in the Exorcist today and yesterday. Ah fun and games - just when i thought it was all going well too! I noticed the strangest thing this morning - Tom's thumb was bright red and when i had a look there was a tiny piece of cotton wrapped around it super tight. I managed to get it off but i dont know how it got there. Thankgod i noticed it as i suspect it was cutting off the circulation. He may have turned out to be Tom Thumb-less.. (thats a really bad joke i know! But i swear its all true!)

Flossie - we used to sleep Tom with the blinds open during the day on advice from MCHN so he would learn difference between day and night but now we have blinds down during the day otherwise he just doesnt sleep. We too are thinking about unwrapping as you may have read, but i am just not sure. I know we have to stop eventually and would probably be good to try now before the weather gets to hot.

Veronica - I think Tom definately went thru the 12wk change. He was super clingly and sooky for a few days. You kind of think whats going on? Then you realise that its that time again!

Next door has builders in and they are working right next to Toms room. I was a bit worried about the noise but he seems fine. I can hear every word the builders are saying thru the baby monitor. Its hysterical! I might turn the telly off and just listen to this instead. They are gossiping worse than girls! I wish i knew the people they were talking about though! Now they are talking about Delta being on Sunrise. One of them said she isnt hot - god i am not going outside if they dont think Delta is pretty..

I am starting to get asked by all the realitives what Tom wants for Christmas. I might start saying a gift voucher to Sportsgirl..(he wants a cool mum). Both Dale and I have big
    families so he is going to get stacks of stuff. I have asked for books for him - he loves to be read to - but everyone has been like yeah right. I can tell he is going to end up with lots of very noisy toys off everyone! I might mention DVDs as well, because he has become obsessed with tv at moment. My BIL told me i should be teaching him social skills instead of turning his eyes square.. I should invited him to babysit and see if he changes his tune!
    Ok, better be off - have a great day everyone!

** I just heard the builders say my car is ugly!! I have a Corolla stationwagon. Horrible men!
    Last edited by mrscricket; October 26th, 2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: evil builders

Megan76 Guest

I am having one of those close to tears days today for know real reason! Lucas has been a champion sleeper at night so i should be happy but he does wake up grumpy from his short day sleeps and i am stressed today cos i have mothers group and last week he just screamed. I feel like all the other babies are happy and content and mine isn't when we are out! My day is all messed up now cos i finally got him back to sleep 15 min ago and now it is time to leave but i don't want to wake him up..............oh the joys.

BBL

Megan76 Guest

Em - I'm glad i just read your post cos it made me laugh after a stressful morning! A few weeks ago the same thing happened with cotton on one of Lucas' fingers, it was scary.

Is anyone out there? Do i wake him or not for mothers group??????????????

Megan - I would probably wake him.. Just cuddle him when you get there and hopefully he will go back to sleep. Dont worry about him crying - i sobbed after my first mums group because Tom screamed and screamed and then vomited all over me. I cried to Dale that all the other bubs were perfect and we had a devil-child. Since then every other baby has had some form of melt-down so everyone understands. Have a great day :hugs: and let us know how you go
    Last edited by mrscricket; October 26th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.

Megan76 Guest

Thanks Em, i am in one of those moods where i can't make decisions! Will go and wake him now, fingers crossed!

EM - how hysterical listening to the builders. Although not nice when they're mean about your car. Good pickup on the circulation killing cotton, & cute joke..

Megan - IKWYM about Mother's group & baby screaming. Liam was fine for the 1st week of mine, probably because he was 4 weeks old so just slept through it all, but after that 1st week he became the kid that screamed. I swear, I have no idea what was discussed most of the time, cos I was always too busy soothing him to listen. But still glad I went, because ocassionally managed to get in nice conversations with the other girls.

V - OMG at Avaleigh starting to teeth. She's certainly trying to grow up really quickly, what with the sitting & all. And bl**dy brilliant work on the weight loss - I'm sure you'll move those last few kilos really quickly.

Tracey - you have so much useful information, it's unreal. I hadn't thought about how long it would take to increase supply before, but you've given me some useful knowledge. I have to get some EBM organised for the 9th November, cos Pat & I are off out for the night & can't take Liam, so my neighbour is going to look after him for me. Therefore I'm off to drink me some more water (& aktavite, cos I'm addicted to that stuff)

Dee - glad to hear you're still out there & that everything is going well with Jordan.

Mel - how's life in your neck of the woods today? Any improvement with Charlize yet? I feel so sorry for you, with everything that you're juggling at the moment.

Nothing much to report from my side, other than still struggling with this stupid cold, but fortunately, and touch wood, Liam doesn't seem to have caught it yet. So hoping he doesn't because I think it's going to be a really chesty one, which would be horrible if you're just a little kid.

Is anyone else going through a really hungry phase? Since the 12 week mark or so, I've suddenly become absolutely starving most of the time, which doesn't help when I too am trying to lose some kilos. For instance, just had to scoff (and I mean SCOFF) an entire bag of Strawberries & cream lollies, which isn't really like me, and yet I'm still hungry....

Bugger, he's just woken up. So much for a long sleep.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast