Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born July 2007 #8

Hi all,

Mel I'm sure they would have listened to your protest too if marty hadn't gone Hugs to you though. You amaze me no end that you have shown concern for my m easily little cold and you have had the hardest 4 months of your life. You truly are a super mum and FYI I probably would have snapped and started throwing things, starting with the headphones. So the way you feel is fine Hang in there, it is good to get things out in the open. I hope you get some quite time soon.

Sara, Lol at being your DH's fault that katleyn doesn't sleep.

Question for everyone, who decided what time bedtime was, you or bubs? we let Xavier decide and I'm happy with his decision of 8pm at the moment. sometimes he chooses to go earlier, sometimes a little past 8.

MM, how cute. Pumpkin is a good place to start, sweet potato is also a good one. I'm going to try and keep Xavier off solids for a while but I know I'll crack one day and give him something to see if it keeps him quiet.

amm, I was like you and missed out on the vaccine for the same reason, although I thought you could have it as long as you had the first one before your 27th birthday. Regardless I only had a 2 week gap between xavier arriving and me turning 27.

jem, there is nothing wrong with not knowing how the TAB works.

Mrs Daisy, lol at the online affair, I thought men were supposed to get excited when they thought their women folk swung both ways I hope tom's pick comes through for you. Did you know the trainer of the favorite, Mr Oriely (sp), has a new born bub, and his name is Tom?? might be another omen. Mr Oriely won the caulfield cup too.

Hi everyone,
    Thankyou all for being so welcoming! I loved reading all your posts!
    Well after Oliver's great settling efforts yesterday he hardly slept at all last night! He usually goes 7 or 8 hours straight but kept stirring and waking every 3. He was very hungry though and has been the last few days so I'm thinking he may be having another growth spurt.

Rebecca - Motherhood is definately easier the second time around! I put this down to being so much more relaxed. And with an eight year age gap I can say I am now older and wiser. But, I still have just as many questions and worries as the first time around I think.

Mel - I don't know your situation but I hope things improve for you. It is not easy being depressed, I have battled it for most of my adult life. It's great that you have all these ladies here to talk to though. Sometimes just getting it all out can help so much.

August_moon_mum - not sure about a date for the wedding yet! I'm trying to talk my DF into eloping to New Zealand. I have never been but always hear how beautiful it is. I know we will wait until Oliver is at least 12 months though.

I have started thinking lately about solids, I started my first DS at 4 months but now they are saying no earlier than 6, especially if breastfeeding. What do others think? Has anyone started there bubs yet?

Oh and Rebecca, Oliver chose his bedtime, usually around 7.30.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Hi All

Autumn is having second naps and has been down for 40mins - hope I didn't jinx myself by mentioning it...

Jo - It's weird and scary to start thinking about solids - I'm looking forward to it but I also don't want to give up the baby baby stage. I think I might hold off for a while longer but at the same time I can't wait! I suppose that means a high chair is the next expense...

Jem - I soaked her in a bi-carb bath yesterday, and overnight it's turned rainy so it's much cooler - the rash has settled down a lot today. I think I'll have to get used to it though, with her hair and fat rolls, and our weather. Thanks for asking. I haven't got a clue about the TAB either - good luck today and enjoy your relax.

Em - too funny about the affair!

I did jinx myself - I can hear her. Oh what to do? If I leave her she might go back to sleep or,equally, she might pull her wrap off and put it over her face (can't seem to help herself) Wish I had a video monitor.

Rebecca - I don't know why but Autumn's bedtime has always been 6.30pm and when I think about it, that's when she was born and went straight to sleep for the night then so maybe she just has that as her biological clock time. On the other hand, I deliberately set up a routine of bath, feed, bed starting at 5.30 and it's a 'which came first? thing I guess' I did try and keep her up later to see if she would sleep longer periods but that didn't work.

Speaking of which, she just started crying so I'd better go in...

I'm back and I got her back to sleep! Please let her stay that way

Good luck to everyone who's having a bet today!

DH is out mowing the lawn and Tom has been asleep for just over 3 hours now, so i will take the opportunity to jump on now.
    Bec - loved your comment about swinging both ways. He wishes.. Tom pretty much chose his own bedtime at 7.30pm. I just noticed he started to push me away if i tried to cuddle him and he loses all interest in anything, so we pop him into bed. He generally is still due for another feed around about
    9ish but we just let him wake himself up now, instead of dream feeding, as some nights it upset him more than anything.

Sacha - i am too scared of putting mittens on Tom as well. i was going to do it last night but because he sucks on everything i was scared he would suck on one, pull it off and it end up down his throat. I was thinking of attempting to get him to hold onto a little rug or something, as he has a little blankie that he likes to hold in his pram. Not sure if its a habit i should start though, as i carried my 'fleecy' for far too long as a child - i think i was about 8 or 9 before i gave it up.. Its just horrible when they scratch themselves though.

AMM - Tom loves to be sung too as well, but i am not really good on remembering the song words, so i just tend to sing this jumbled up mixture of different nursery rhymes. My 19yr old sister was visiting the other day and was singing him that Amy Winehouse song 'Rehab'. He just loved it.. again, not a habit i am wanting to start!

Megan - did you have any girls names picked out? If they are the same as mine, i will freak out! If anyone is thinking of eventually extending the family, do you think you will pick different names or use your second-in-line names?

Mummy Mel - i like purple moon for the cup too. Actually, i just like horses in general so i think i will pick them all!
    I am glad you felt that you could share with us and i am positive that everyone here will understand exactly what you are going thru. DH and i have gone from a couple who never fought,to one that fights and feels quite tense with each other quite regularly. I dont know if its because as a male he can just switch off - his time is his time - and as a woman, i can never switch off. Even if i meant to be relaxing reading a book or on BellyBelly, i always have one ear out listening for the baby, figuring out feed times and sleep times etc. This motherhood thing is a massive job - much harder than i expected sometimes - and one that i dont think men will ever understand fully that it is a 24hour 7 days thing. Big hugs to you and talk to us anytime

For everyone that commented on older kids - you are all right. i have a niece and nephew that just love Tom to bits. Maddie - at 7 - is wonderful with him. She reads him stories - like 6 in row, so is a great little babysitter in the making. Jack, at 4, is desperate for Tom to grow up so they can kick the footy together. They are very gentle with him and its lovely to watch. Mum and dads foster kids on the other hand, dont understand being gentle or being told not to do something so it is a little frustrating, especially for DH - who just wants to tell them to nick off sometimes!!

Michaels Mum - that is super cute about the food. Not sure if am excited about starting Tom on food or not.. The mess - the cleaning.. But the faceful of food - how gorgeous

Smile

I have come up with a few songs of my own from all the jumbled bits, one is a counting song that goes with that mexican tune!

Jem, I usually hum that song music boxes play at the last feed although he is pretty much asleep anyway. I think it's just more for my own benefit now as its so beautiful to sit there with him like that.

I've got some news! DP asked me this morning when would I like to have #2 and we have decided to start TTC in winter 08! We would both really like to start TTC now but this way Lucas will be two by the time bubs arrived, and my body will have had some chance to heal and shed some of the 21kg I put on first time around!

Just watched the Cup and my picks didnt win - never mind its all good fun.

FYI - I weighed and measured Charlotte earlier today - 6.6kg and 64.5 cm long.

BBL
    Jem

Thanks ladies for all your support. I feel much better today than yesterday, so I think letting it all out, helps me alot. Thanks for being there for me.

Raels, I have been thinking about solids too. I asked my doc last week and she said that yes, 6 months is the recommended age, but all babies are different and some will show interest in solids earlier and loose that tongue reflex that pushes all food out. I started Charlee on solids at 5 months but I'm thinking Jack is nearly ready, but I was wanting to hold off, but I find myself caving more and more each day.

Can you all believe, my sister picked the trifecta in the cup as well as winning 5 times in the sweep stakes at her lacal pub. I'm still waiting for her to tell me how much she won in total, but the trifecta alone paid around $1500. I didn't win, but I got second, but paid bugger all.

Jem, Charlotte is getting so big. She is doing so well.

Will BBL ladies, Jack is still protesting nobody is holding him.

Take care and thanks again for listening.

Hi ladies!

I'm back from my Melb Cup lunch - went in to work, as it was they were the only people I knew that would have me!! It was good fun and Amelie got passed around non stop!! Even the males had a good cuddle!

I ended up winning $67 from the sweeps (one third and one first!), but my bets didn't do any good- shows that I am more lucky than smart - LOL!!

Mel - I'm glad you shared with us what you were feeling - you sound like super mum to me! Sometimes it all gets a bit much, and I think in your case you have plenty of reason for it to be getting to you. Hope things get a bit more settled with DH's exams and with the moving complete - hope you can take some time to sit back and enjoy what you have achieved with your family.

Bec- Amelie's bed time varies from night to night- depends what time she wakes up in the morning - so we haven't got a set routine as yet. Bedtime varies from 8 to 10, depending on when she has her last feed. We generally feed 4 hourly from whenever she wakes up - can be between 3 and 7! So, she definitely sets the timing!

AMM - congrats on deciding when your next family member might make it into the world - you must be doing well to be thinking that far ahead - we're still seeing how we go with number 1!

I haven't been thinking about solids just yet- would like to go as long on just breast milk as possible - maybe 9 months? I don't really want to give it up so soon!

Amelie is on a blanket on the floor of the study at the moment and is yelling up a storm - very funny! Even funnier is that she has managed to turn almost 180 degrees - her head is in the middle of the blanket and her legs have kicked and twisted her to point in the opposite direction - I think she's having a ball!

ETA - For whoever it was who asked about piccies (sorry - have forgotten!) I have just uploaded a picture of Amelie's christening, as well as the cake I made for it.
    Last edited by *star*; November 6th, 2007 at 03:49 PM.

Star gorgeous photo of your beautiful family and WOW at the christening cake - you did a fantastic job.

Star, you have a beautiful family. And you did a great job on the cake. I love it when babies start to show their personalities. Amelie sounds as though she is a happy and cheeky girl.

Jem, I'm sooo happy with last nights verdict on idol. Who do you think will make it to the opera house? It's a hard one I think. Who I want to and who I think will are different. But I like all three who are left, so I don't really mind who wins now. How big is Charlotte at this age compared to the boys? Jack is now at 4 months the same weight as Charlee was at 7.5 months. But I know boys are bigger than girls so, much to be expected probably. I was also wondering, do you bath Charlotte in with the boys yet?

We had Jack in with Charlee in the bath tonight, and it was so cute. Charlee was very much amused with his willy. She never pulled at it just liked to poke it. But she was very good. I have been wanting to try it for awhile now, but was too nervous. But all went well, but I'm aware that it might not always be so smooth sailing. But this way I can get to bed earlier, as I don't have to everything in double. Just have to clean up now and I can hit the sack, Yey!!!!!

Anyway best get to it.

Have a lovely night all.

Talk soon.

Ok, going to try to get some personals done, but so much has gone on since I was last able to get some BB time, itís hard to know where to start!

Star - Amelie is such a cutie & you did a fantastic job on the cake. I think that with regards to BF & solids, itís not a case of either/or, rather that after around 6 months they do well with both. Iíve read somewhere that at around the 6 month mark the BF starts to be not quite enough for them, also that leaving solids too long can make them harder to introduce as they can find the new tastes too much. Mind you, itís scary to be talking about solids, it feels like weíve only just stopped talking about all the difficulties & challenges of learning to BF.

Jem & Mel Ė Iím with you with regards to Marty Ė I canít believe he lasted so long. And he annoyed me greatly on Sunday night, he didnít even try. Mind you, I also canít believe that Carl has made it this long either, I think heís sweet, but not great compared to the other 2.

Zofia Ė I hope that you have had a fantastic wedding day. Iím looking forward to hearing all about it. And wow for Diana getting her first tooth. All this development is great but sometimes it would be nice to have a pause button so that they donít grow too quickly.

Welcome to Leah & Raels, looking forward to getting to know you both.

Sacha Ė yey for Autumn rolling. Weíre still waiting for Liam to get the rolling concept worked out. Howís her heat rash going?? Liam also seems to be prone to skin problems, Iím finding it very hard to find anything that works. Iím hoping that heíll grow out of it over the next few months. I do try to give him as much free bottom air time as I can Ė I let him roll around on a couple of towels with not much on for around 20 minutes or whatever heíll take, which he really enjoys. With Melbourne weather, I just watch him to make sure heís not getting cold.

Mel Ė itís good that you had a vent, youíve had a truck load of stuff to deal with over the last few months, and I think that all things considered youíve held yourself together amazingly well.

Jo Ė Michaelís pumpkin face sounds gorgeous.

MrsDaisy Ė ha ha about your DH thinking youíre having an online affair Ė everytime I log on to do a post I always get asked who Iím writing toÖ Pat knows what Iím doing, so itís just a joke, but I think that maybe heís a teensy bit curious but canít yet bring himself to look. Funny man.

Bec Ė we let Liam pretty much dictate his bedtime, and heís being pretty easy to read at the moment. The eye rubbing is a dead-set giveaway, as is crying with his eyes shut when I wrap him up, as is falling asleep & letting the last mouthful of milk dribble down the side of his cheekÖMostly, his evening bedtime is between 7.30 & 8, depending on how hungry he is.

Okay, Iíd better get going to bed, as Iíll probably be woken up in just a couple of hours for more food. Iím starting to be a little bit fed up with the middle of the night feeds Ė a few weeks ago I was getting a good 7-8 hours in a stretch, now itís back to no more than 5 hours at a time, which mostly means a midnight feed then a 4 or 5am feed as well. Itís annoying cos I always thought that Iíd get a kid that would be a good sleeper (ie a long sleeper), cos both of his parents are. Just goes to show that you canít predict what theyíll be like. Thank goodness he gives me really cute smiles when I pick him up.

hi everyone! Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming. It seems you have a great bunch of people in here.

Its good to see that there are some Aus idol fans on here. I swear every year that im not going to get sucked into it, buts its so addictive. I can't pick the final two, i actually really like the final three. Very excited that Marty left last night, personally i think he should have left weeks ago.

Well its so quiet in my house now, Ella is asleep! Yay! Is anyone having real trouble getting there bubs to sleep during the day at the moment? Ella sleeps from about 8pm to 8am every night which is fantastic, but has been refusing to sleep during the day over the last couple of weeks. I can tell she is tired, in fact the whole neighbourhood can probably tell she is tired from the screams coming from my house. Seriously, though its hard work having a cranky baby for most of the day. Does anyone have any hints?

Well thats enough rambling from me. Hope everyone had a great Melbourne Cup day!

Hi Leah

THe sleeping thing is so hard, I think because all our babies seem to have their own little quirks, and they seem to change just when you think you've got a pattern happening. I don't know that I'll be much use to you, because Liam is a pretty good sleeper during the day, and mostly during the night. But, I work really hard to identify his sleepy signals as early as I can - I know that for the most part 1.5 hours is his best time for being awake, then I'm looking to put him back to bed. Sometimes it's a little less, sometimes it's a little longer, but never more than 2 hours. I'm also still wrapping him within an inch of his life, because it works for him. He doesn't settle at all for me unless he's wrapped, and I think it's a bit of a signal to him that I've recognised that he's tired. All of which makes me realise how easy I've got it compared to some of you girls on here, cos I just don't have the settling issues that some of you struggle with. If Liam doesn't settle, it's because he's either still hungry, or he has a burp that needs to come out, and sometimes a spew. Sorry I can't offer anything that's really useful, except for some sympathy!

Megan76 Guest

Morning everyone! Hope you all had a better night sleep than me, Lucas was fine but i think i tossed and turned for about 4 hours - not fun!

I need help! Lucas' social phobia is really starting to get to me. Yesterday we went to a bbq for Cup Day and i couldn't give him to anyone. He got so overtired and screamed for ages...had to be when DH was at TAB and i was on my own. I ended up in tears when he got back cos i get so stressed and anxious when we are out. He will not let anyone else hold him, it is a nightmare. I cant relax when we go out at all! No idea what to do, is there anything i can do???????

Leah - Lucas is the same, good at night but catnaps during the day most of the time. I haven't been able to do much about it to tell you the truth! I am at the point now where i can't be bothered resettling after the 40 minutes so i usually get him up for a bit and then try and put him back! Alot of the time he will have 2 naps between feeds.

Jan - Liam will probably go back to his longer stretch at night. Lucas has gone through stages where he will sleep 12 hours for two weeks and then start waking again for a night feed.....figure it out i say!

Mel - glad you're feeling a bit better - you've had a rough/busy time and are only human!

Em - I'm glad i am not the only one who can't switch off! Unfortunately though it was in the middle of the night last night i was stressing about Lucas and his issues with people! We had lots of girls names.....Ella, Georgia, Taylah, Grace, Charlotte...we never really decided! Tom seems to be an ace sleeper during the day, what's your secret??

Sacha - Glad you are having some better luck with Autumn's sleeps!

Rebecca - Lucas' bedtime varies between about 7.30 and 8 depending on when his first feed is. He was going to bed around 8 and sleeping till about 8 but we decided it would be great if we coiuld get him in bed by 7.30 so we could have dinner in peace rather than eating one at a time! So at the moment we are experimenting with having his last feed at 7pm and he has been waking around 6.30 - 7am, but i never get him out of bed till after 7!! It's a toss up as to whether i prefer getting up later, or having him in bed earlier!

Well that's all i can remember....but i do have a confession...even though Marty is a useless performer i actually quite liked his voice and when he sang with a guitar, would have rather him than Carl!!

Have a good day, may good sleeps be with you all!

Hi all,

Raels, careful in New Zealand, it is a lovely place to go. I went on my honeymoon there and came back pregnant

Mrs Daisy and Sacha, do you guys use the terry toweling suits, like the wonder suits. They have mittens built into the cuffs, and make great PJ's. The only thing is to be able to get the mittens over their hands you need the next sized suit iykwim. but they can't get them stuck down their throat.

For our next bub I have other names picked out, but that's only if I can make it that far without anyone I know using my names. I've had them all picked out for years, I'm convinced I'll end up with 2 boys and a girl.

amm, it's great to hear that your hubby is the one bringing p the #2. I'm waiting for mine to be just so besotted with our little one that he can't wait to have another. he knows I want another, and possibly another after that, but we also want a house, so #2 has to wait a while.

Star I agree you did a fantastic job on the cake. Lovely family pic too.

RE the heat and bum rashes, Xavier only gets nappy rash if I use baby wipes. At home I try to just use water and cotton make up removal pads, the round ones. They are much better, we don't get any nappy rash, and they are better for getting sticky poo off, than wipes are. A lady I work with told me recently that she still buys baby wipes because they are great for getting stains out. They even get biro out of clothes. That made me wonder just how toxic they are if they do that.

Sorry Leah, we went through cranky baby not sleeping a few weeks ago, and then suddenly he just changed. I think I improved more to the point. It is very emotionally tiring when you have a cranky baby all day though. But the same as Jan said, Xavier is only good for about 1-1.5 hours and then it's back. Sometimes we have to have some solid play for that time too, and sometimes if I start to get tired, I lay down beside him on the floor, we both watch telly for a minute and the next time I look at him his almost asleep. But all babies are different.

Thanks for all answering my question about bed time, it seems that the babies are all making the rules, Xavier used to choose 7pm as bed time, and then as it got lighter decided 8 was a better time, but sometimes goes to bed earlier. We don't have a routine before bed at all. We just have our last feed for the night and he quite often just zonks out. Sometimes he is still restless after that feed and I have to give him a dummy but it doesn't take him long to drop off. It has been a while since I've had to get out of bed earlier than 5.30am too. Haven't had many more 12hour sleeps but i'm hoping for 6am wake up as that will work well when i go back to work.

Megan, have you tried leaving him with a relative for a short stint. My niece is very clingy to my sis, yet if she is left with my mum and my sis goes away she is fine. It might just be because he knows your there.

Vent coming up... Is it unreasonable for parents to want to be the first ones to buy their son his first bike. MIL has already bought a fisher price walker/bike thing for his first birthday and put it on lay by before he was even born and then SIL phones the other day to let us know that she put a bike, a real bike on lay by for him and to see if this was ok, and I started feeling guilty when I started to say that we were really looking forward to buying him his first bike, so I ended up putting her onto Nathan after all it's his sister, and he told her he wanted to buy his fist bike (thankfully). But I mean to say the first bike is a pretty big thing, especially between a father and son. Don't people think?? I asked my sister if i was allowed to buy my niece a cabbage patch even, and now I've been instructed it's my job to provide my next niece with her cabbage patch too. But I didn't want to overstep the mark and tred on her toes.
    Ok that's my vent

In order to actually finish this post I had to prop Xavier up in his highchair to watch me. FYI Farts are really loud on a vinyl seat, I best go change his nappy
    Bye
    Last edited by kungfubecca; November 7th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Megan76 Guest

August - Forgot to mention that my lucas must be a guts! When you said your Lucas was taking 150ml i freaked cos mine can take up to 240ml! But he is only having 4 feeds now, what about Lucas?

Rebecca - 2 hour morning nap...sounds like heaven!!

Megan76 Guest

Rebecca- i think it would be fun to buy the bike too!

New Thread Time

Love

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678