Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #23

IK: Nah don't worry about being a wet blanket... I'm much soggier than you! LOL

Christmas Fruit Mince Pies: after many years of testing and trying the leading brands and bakeries through-out Melbourne I deem the ones from the Cheesecake Shop to be the best: most authentic, yummiest, most attractive. Not sure on the price as the ones we have here were given as a gift by friends but whatever they paid it was certainly worth it. Might have to buy another box to leave out for Santa...

Laundry: good grief it's only getting worse around here! Not only can I sort coloureds from whites but I usually have enough every 2nd or 3rd day to sort into: whites/nappies/light coloureds/red and brown coloureds/green and bluish coloureds and blacks! that's 6 different regular catagories!

Am going into MC again tomorrow if anybody wants a chat over a coffee at Borders... just because I want an excuse to get out and about... looking for a couple of calendars too... desperately want them before the New Year. Did you see the FlyLady calendar Rory??? I wonder how it would go ordering one online from the States... never ordered internationally before... oh, and speaking of online orders, IK: was that the MooGoo moisturiser? Just wondering 'cos i need to get some of that too. Niall's cradle cap still hasn't returned after just one application! Now I have a whole jar of it but it's not suitable as a moisturiser... it has something in it that's best kept away from sensitive areas eg around eyes... I put some on Wade yesterday just because he had a few flecks of it (orangey cradle cap stuff) ... Maybe Verity could do with some too... she's been getting a touch of dandruff...

Oh and Mel: hope you are having a great time at Chelsea's creche Chrissy party!

ETA: Just placed a MooGoo order... they have run out of Goat Milk Soap! Oh no! I'm going to try the Honey and oatmeal one instead... also am going to try the oil cleanser that they recommend as a nappy wipe alternative. I also submitted a report on their sample pot moisturiser... thanks for reminding me about doing that IK

Hi girls, late in this afternoon! Went to shops, paid off some xmas laybys and the shops were packed! Didn't get to Kmart (will try tomorrow!), only target and that was bad enough!

Rory - no wagging yoga this week LOL!!! Flynn is a little angel. The times I have been out with you guys, he has been so good. DH might prefer to go for a walk up chapel st instead of talking shop. I am not going to DH's work xmas party this year, too boring listening to their work stories all night. Have a fabulous night - are you getting frocked up??? We want to see a pic? Very cute photos of Flynn - couldn't see the xmas one, where you putting that on?

IK - glad the meeting went well and you got to have your say. Bushfires are worrying. DH was called this morning and asked to go to Wangaratta to help out with evacutions and other stuff. He asked me what I thought, but what can I say. He wants to go and help and the extra money before xmas would be handy. But he would be away all weekend and then he starts nightshift on Sunday. Poor thing will be exhausted. Must be getting pretty bad, they are calling in lots of reinforcements from around Melb to go and help. I hope the friends you have out there stay safe over the weekend. Oscar will be doing laps around the house soon LOL!!!! Have fun at mums group.

Dee - glad you feel a bit better this morning. Prune juice (diluted) works well or just pureed fresh pears. Shopping is so much easier with no distractions, hope you can go on your own and enjoy the peace (or as peaceful as busy shopping centres get!!!)

Amanda - will email you again. Thanks

Bath - you must have soo much washing. I do some every day and it's not too bad most days, but if I miss a day it piles up too quickly. LOL about all the categories!!!! Went and bought stuff to take to creche xmas party. They say to bring dinner along, but i think we will have dinner at home, then go. Looking forward to it - and would be nice to win a raffle prize too!

Better pay some bills (YUK!) and tidy up some more, then finally read paper!!

Mel, I didn't wag yoga yesterday - it was fun! The little lamb slept through the class.

Bath, I have ordered stuff from Amazon US and it takes ages, so get the Flylady calendar ASAP if you want it by january!!

IK, we'll be relying on you for fire updates!

Thanks all for your support on Flynnie and the function tomorrow night. I have decided that I will leave him with my mum. It is the President's dinner and I don't want to impose on her day, and I don't want to be seen as one of "those" mums IYKWIM. I would be perfectly accepting of a baby at any function, but I know that there may be some stuffed shirts there who wouldn't, and as I have to work with these people over the next 3 years I don't want to get people offside. I know it is a cop out and goes against my "personal is political" motto but I must admit I think there is a place for bubs and I don't know if a black tie function is one of them. I think we should either be prepared to leave him with my mum or stay home with him. I thought over him being with mum and feel ok about it - she is coming over tonight again to put him to sleep, so he will have seen her 4 times in 5 days by tomorrow night. I guess he has to ge used to being with someone other than us sooner or later.

On that point, while I don't want him to suffer, I am actually ok with the thought of him crying while mum is looking after him. I mean, when I called and heard him screaming I was upset for him but not that much. I suppose its because I know he is ok and will eventually calm down. I can't help but feeling like a heartless mother, though!!

Rory: I don't think you are being heartless... you're just allowing other people to perform their role of sharing the care of your baby. By leaving him with your mum it will be (I think) beneficial to Flynn: he will learn to trust another person, beneficial for your mum: she will be reminded of the demands of a baby and no doubt her sympathy for your daily care of Flynn will increase, and beneficial for you: you will benefit from a short break in vigilance... even when Flynn is asleep you are still listening out for him so unless you hand over the care to another you aren't really getting a break which every parent needs and deserves. Finally, I understand your reasoning regarding working with people who may have different opinions about the place of a baby at events such as this. I'd say this is a grey area... not as black and white as some locations eg a courtroom ( a female judge might have a hard time BFing a baby while announcing her decision... some places just call for 100% of the parent's attention... there is no escaping that... just as IK would agree a baby couldn't attend the front line of fire fighting... critical decisions and baby's don't mix). This event is a grey area but I can't see how a few hours spent with his grandmother wouldn't hurt if you trust her... you have absolutely no reason to think you are being heartless... and if he does cry then y'know, that's life, and a part of his development... it's a gentle way of introducing resilience into his world... everything will be fine

Rory, I agree with Bath - this event is not hard and fast as far as baby inclusiveness is concerned. If you are comfy leaving him with someone, then why not? If you felt under duress to leave him and knew you'd be worried about him the whole time, then I'd say take him with you. But you're not, so it should be fine! I've managed to be able to do most things with Oscar in tow, except turn out to fire calls and ride my horse, essentially. I took him to the brigade meeting and that other meeting a couple of months ago because I thought long and hard about it and saw no real reason that those environments couldn't accomodate Oscar (maybe I'm 'one of those mums IYKWIM'). My agenda, where practicable, is to push the envelope and challenge assumptions, in order to make most areas in my life accomodate a small person. The CFA, for example, claims it is family friendly...but only once your kids are 11yo and can join juniors! That's an exaggeration, but it's my goal to break down that mental barrier so that mothers with young babies can continue to contribute in their own capacity, not be barred from contributing all together because someone else can't conceive of her having a valuable contribution now that she's a mummy. However, in the case of this black tie event, you could go either way and either option sits comfortably with you There IS a time and a place, but it's not as limited as many would have you believe, and I challenge those situations where there is no real reason a woman has to pretend her child is invisible.
    Bath - the moisturiser is actually from Essentially Me, another product with a transparent and honest ingredients list. I wanted an eye gel as well and Moo Goo doesn't seem to have much of an extended facial care range, so I looked further afield for other Australian companies to find this one. Wonder what my surprise gift is! I'm debating whether I should order some more MooGoo, or if I should just wait till after NZ. I'll have enough of everything until then, so maybe I will wait. Might have to try that oil cleanser...
    Mel - your DH should be fine. Although these are the worst conditions on record, we are also at our most prepared, and the CFA the most trained in safety as it has ever been. Because of this we should have no fireground fatalities, unless civilians do something silly, like try to leave a property in a fire front and land on a tree. Everyone who is up there is just stuffed. My mate got home last night just after 3am, after having been out working since 8am. He's not the only one pulling hours like that, many of the fire brigades out there are screaming for crews because theirs just aren't rested enough to go back out. I absolutely love having Oscar and the timing for him was just right, but if he weren't here there'd be another bod for a strike team!! Everything for a reason...
    My parents are heading down today, just as well as I don't think they'd make it through Sale if they were to leave later.
    There were only two other mummies at our little meet today, but we're hoping to rope in some more for next week. It was great to catch up with them outside of the MCHC.
    Well, I think I"m going to try for a nap while DP is out driving Santa in a fire truck!

hey chickadees!

Well, finally got the kids centrelink FTB supplement payment today, so paid off all their xmas layby's. My all i have to buy now is a present for my nephews (have agreed on a $30 limit for both combined, SIL is doing the same, but she says anneliese doesnt count, she always wanted a girl, but cant have any more children, so she spoilts allie...)

Spent all morning at RMH, the orthopaedic surgeon was disgusted with the cast that was put on, she says no wonder i was in pain, the angle the cast had my wrist pointing. SHe had it cut off, and a new fibreglass put on (ok to get water on the cast, just not on the padding) and as actually quite comfy, as far as casts go. THe man that did it has been doing casts since 1978, and thats all he does, so he's gotta be good at what he does!! So i have to go back for a CT scan on 21/12, other than that, its just trying to rest my wrist... its going to be about another month in cast. yay.

so who's going tomorrow?? ill see how my wrist feels in the morning, i am meant to be cleaning house, after sickness has swept through, all that is left is chaos...

No personals, too much has gone on!!

But i am happy to report, all sickness has left my house. And all of us had it, including Anneliese.

Rory - your mum with have a ball with Flynn, he is such a good boy and a great chance to bond with his nana. I was a bit funny about leaving Chelsea for the first time with her but she was fine and now they share a very close relationship. You and DH can enjoy a nice night out together.

IK - DH is heading out tomorrow morning at 8am with 5 other members. Most likely doing evacuation and road block stuff. I think he is looking forward to doing something a bit different! Glad to hear your fire fighting friends are OK. Going to be a tough weekend for them. Haven't seen the fire truck with Santa yet, usually comes on Sunday mornings.

Simone - so glad to hear the sickness has past! You must be too. Your wrist must be feeling good now its set properly! Only another month to go. Setting a present limit is better, otherwise it can end up costing a fortune.

Well the creche xmas party was lots of fun. I won 2 prizes in the raffle - wait for it ---------- I won a TOASTER LOL!!!!!! & 18 holes of Golf for 2 people. Out of 48 prizes inc dinner vouchers, McDonalds party voucher, cadbury chocolates, kids paints etc, I manage to win those!!!! I shouldn't complain, at least I won something. Does anyone need a toaster???? Santa came and gave out presents to the kids, Chelsea started to cry when he came out and ran to cuddle her teacher. When he read out her name she went over very slowly and said rather quietly "thanks Santa". She got a lovely book in the Brambly Hedge series called "Winston saves the day". Read it to her when she went to bed and it was rather cute. She took her container of olives (she loves them) and was a bit disappointed that no one else wanted any, she kept offering them to her friends. Poor Marley was cactus and she fell asleep before santa came out then was woken by the kids screaming when he arrived!!! Overall a fun evening.

Well, seeing as Ik is doing the fire reports ,I'll just step aside... I mean I'm just sitting up here in the NE watching the smoke blow in and all of our CFA guys go out to the fires, it's not like I have any chance that they will come anywhere near me.
    BTW Thankyou for all the warm wishes from everyone on my birthday, I'm glad that I didn't have to remind anyone.
    I'm also leaving this thread, so if anyone wants to talk to me, they can do so elsewhere.
    Have a good life ladies and I'm so sorry that I have to leave, but lately I feel like I'm just wasting my time trying to talk to anyone.

Im sorry you feel like that jess

Mel, glad you had fun, we have our daycar xmas party next week, will see how that goes...

Who's in for a cuppa tomorrow??
    Last edited by simone; December 8th, 2006 at 09:23 AM.

Had my gf come over today with her 6week old twins, they are sooo adorable. The smaller of the two is on par with Nixon's size at the same age but she just felt so small!
    We got a couple of pics of him lying next to them and he just looked like this big boofa! will post a pic on my website.

Wont be able to catch up tomorrow, start this premmie playgroup research program thing.
    Simone- glad everyone is better and can get back on track. I am actaully wonder if Nixon is getting conjunctavitis as he had a fair bit of gunk in both eyes tonight. will see how it goes overnight and in the morning though
    Jess- You have been a big part of this thread, it would be a shame to see you go

Sorry you feel that way Jess - hope things go well for you and your family.

Simone - can't make tomorrow (sorry!!!), I have to go back to the shops and finish doing what I had planned to finish today. Pay laybys and get a couple of birthday presents.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a girls 1st birthday present? I saw some Pamela Allen books in the Aust Post catalogue - too advanced for a 1 year old? I am quite good friends with the mum and have known her for 11 years but I always get stuck buying 1st birthday pressies. All suggestions welcome.

I may have been a big part Nic once, but reading through the posts it doesn't look like it lately.

Im sorry you feel that way jess. All the best to you and DH.

Nic - Hope Nixon's not getting conjunctivitis, it sucks...and be careful, its very contaigeous, DH always ended up getting it whenever it makes its way into our household.

Mel - im not sure if im going, im going to see how my wrist is. Its kinda hard ot push around the pram... and although anneliese likes the hab, she doesnt like being in it for prolonged periods of time.

Come into the games computers and gadgets thread, we're playing hangman. Fun stuff!!

Simone, that is great news about the cast! So glad you are in quite a bit more comfort now and that you have driven out all pestilence from the kids and house Things looking up?? I've got heaps of happy vibes to share, so some are heading your way, you deserve some, girly!
    Mel - does that girl still have Santa issues? It's a pity you're not in a CFA area, or you could desensitise her by having her stand out the front of the house the Sunday after next for the Santa runs happening all over the place - Santa in a firetruck has got to take the edge of Santa-fear (reminding me of 'beard fear' from Lano and Woodley...)...
    Nic - you played with new babies! Sounds like it was a lot of fun My turn in two weeks, with my niece, but twins would be an extra lot of fun!
    Just enjoying a late dinner here - salmon steaks and chips, it's a bit yummo.
    I wonder how Rory and DH are getting on at the dinner tonight? I hope he is being the lamb we know he can be!
    Ok, better tend to this boy before he starts sucking on DP's boots...

I should be starting on a probiotic called fasttract and enliven soon (just waiting for it to come throught the post) and have only heard good things about it... I need some energy!!

DH and i are going to try and work things out, or at least wait until after xmas to split, for the kids sake...

About to watch Bad Santa, such a nordi movie...

Good Morning Girls

Simone: once you place the order for the MiVitality products it doesn't take long for them to arrive, under a week. Beware, it tastes pretty foul but you do kinda get used to it.

Jess: Like the others have said, it's a shame you feel that way but apparently most of the Junies talk in that other thread with Enigma so you'll only be missing the ones who don't go there. I seem to recall we all wished you a happy birthday at the time. And IK is part of the CFA so please don't imply that she's stepping into your territory... that comment was not very kind. I know how easy it is to feel that you are being ignored in this thread as it's very busy but I thought we offered you a lot of support recently with the way you were treated at that Kinder meeting. Lately Simone and Rory have had issues so we've focussed on them... Gee I write long enough posts as it is! I'm sorry I can't get to every issue and respond to everything everyone says all the time. As it's been said before everyone has different styles of posting and mine tends to only focus on one or two people at a time but in greater detail than most other members... I won't ever be called the Personals Queen because I choose not to write single line posts to absolutely everyone in the thread... it's just my not my style. I try for quality (detail) not quantity. Jess, you have to admit you haven't been posting much to other people in here lately either... you've come in, told us about some problem you've had at home and that's usually, not always, but usually that's it. I guess you must be putting all your energies into the other thread and that's perfectly ok... but I guess in here the people who post the most to others will receive the most attantion, to put it bluntly. Just speaking for myself I have really enjoyed hearing about your life as a mum of 6. You have been a very colourful thread in the tapestry that is the BB Junies and I hope that you will enjoy remaining in contact with the girls that post in the other thread.

Rory: Hope your night went smoothly tell us all about it! I love going to events like that... what did you wear? You mentioned a black dress recently? And how was the catering?

Mel: let us know how your DH is going up there if he gives you a call during the day... I'd be a nervous wreck if my DH worked in the line of danger.

ok... house is a disaster area but my sink is shiny! LOL Not sure when I'll get into the city either Simone... I've also got to exchange a dress DH bought for Verity... she needs the next size up... have to go to Myer so I'll be dodging the crowds... might be a bit hard on your wrist.... but there's always next time

I might leave it today bath, my wrist is still pretty tender

On the other hand, just got my mi-vitality stuff!! I only ordered lunchtime wednesday... not bad for xmas time!!!

Im meant to be getting up and cleaning the house, rory jinxed me and gave me ants LOL. They're everywhere... and found a ****roach in the bathroom, and have found quite a few spiders... freaking me out... thought i must have a dirty house or something, but SIL who obsessively polishes her house down every day also has a prob with them (she lives 6 houses away) so it mustnt be my house phew

Simone, spiders don't care what your house looks like - if you've got flies and mozzies in them, even better! And use your wrist pain as motivation to do what is best for you and the kids in the long run
    I have won two things on eBay this week - a cool pair of sandals and a mixed 0 size boys clothing package. I reckon that when we get back from NZ we'll be looking at 0's for Oscar...his 00's are all short in the leg!
    Just had a lovely walk with SIL in the park down the road - very hazy and stinks of smoke, but the weather is nice.
    I think I'm going to be a strike team widow this weekend...at least I'll have a tidy house for a few days! Dammit, even our rookies are getting a ping for this campaign, and I get to sit this one out all summer long...I was in Central America for the 2003 campaign, too, so I'm still a strike team virgin. You will know all about it when one day I get to go LOL!
    Oscar is sleeping in the car - I was going to have a quick shower and head to Knox to pick up my bra order, then to Aldi, then to my parents'. Horsey gets a big miss again today - I'll probably not bother on the weekend, either, see how things go.
    Rory, were you going into MC today? How did you pull up after last night?
    Cee Cee - I DID notice you had been MIA and meant to ask where you were at! How's things? Can't you just ask Allie to see some reason and be a bit more co-operative with the whole sleeping caper? Hee hee, I'm sure that's how non-parents must think when new parents are retelling their woes! May I also just thank you once again for referring us to MooGoo? Absolutely the best stuff I have ever used on my hair.
    OK, I've forgotten what else I wanted to write, so I'll be off to get on with the rest of my day...
    Oh, yeah, I remembered! Mel, have you heard from DH?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast