Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #27

Thanks Amanda and Simone, I will definately try the no big drinks option. On other occasions when I have tried her with undies she has made it to about 6-6.30am. Her problem is she is heavy sleeper and she sleeps in. Lately she has been getting up anywhere from 8.30-9.30am. This morning Marley didn't wake until 10.15am.

lucky for those who get sleep ins LOL my boys are always up by 7am, 8am is a sleep in for me!!

Hi all! I've done a skim to catch up and I think I'm up with the game now!
    Simone - I'll be in touch when I get back, to see how you're travelling...I've got a novel NY resolution for you...I think you know what it is, though!
    Mel - good luck with the TT!
    Nickel - SOOOO good to see you in here! Just keep remembering that there's no point comparing yourself to other mummies cos they are not your daughters' mummies - you are your kids' best mummy!
    Dee - I agree with your summation of neighbourly relations. My neighbour sometimes gets to me cos he might pack his trailer in the morning instead of when he gets home from work (he's a landscaper) and his shed is right near our bedroom (driveway got built well after our house was built...). However, for the most part it doesn't bother me cos he doesn't do it very often and it has never woken Oscar. Our neighbours don't throw parties and if someone in the area does and we can hear it, we just figure it's only an occasional occurrence. We suck it up.
    Nic - new pic of Nixon is very cute!
    I don't have time for a lot of personals so I'll leave it there.
    We have had a great time here. We caught up with friends from Melb (husband from here originally) for NY, with his family (my sister and BIL stayed for a while but piked before midnight), DP went for a nudie run with the other boys into the beach...very cold! We went on an overnight trip up north to the Kauri Forest, we've been to the Waiwera Thermal Resort for a couple of swims (Oscar loves that!), and just today I've left DP at my sister's IL's farm, as he loves to put in some work there and they love him up there. Myself and Oscar helped with some lamb mustering and got a ride on the back of a quad bike - he loved it! I know this makes me a 'bad mummy', however, he was on my back in the Ergo carrier and there were three adults on the bike...making it very slow going, indeed...and towing a small stock crate with one lamb in it...we weren't going to come a cropper any time soon! I'll go there tomorrow to collect DP, watch some shearing (and I'm loving their newest working dog, he's so lovely that I want to take him home...but apparently he costs a fortune to feed...), then head down to their local cricket club for dinner and a yarn and a beer. Oscar will like it. Whether he likes it or not...hee hee!
    BTW - Oscar has had carrot cake, kumara, cucumber, avocado and banana in the last week. Not much, but he sometimes gets keen and opens his mouth like a little birdie. I know this is a bit much for most people, but I have really taken to the mouth to mouth feeding - cuts down on a lot of mess associated with spoon feeding (which is real handy for all those tribal people who feed that way who don't have cutlery and wouldn't use it if they did...)! Plus, it's not a lot of food he's been having and not worth mashing up any quantities larger than a tablespoon cos he loses interest after that. Unless he's asleep he's with me in the Ergo, so feeding him MTM style is very discreet and it just looks like I'm planting a kiss on him And then he gives me a huge closed smile when he has it in his mouth, it melts my heart. Yep. I can be such a raging Earth Mama sometimes, but that's ok, cos it doesn't affect anyone elses's quality of life and enhances mine and Oscar's!
    Ok, gonna get ready to go down to the beach and maybe swim - nice evening for it.
    We head home very early Sat morning, but I won't be home till about 5 after taking DP to Fiskville (CFA training college) straight after the airport.
    I might not get a chance to post before I get home, so take care all and enjoy the first week of the year!

Hey IK - my NY resolution is to declutter... i tried to send mum an email about everything thats be going on, but hotmail crashed.. maybe i wasnt meant to tell her?? It happened 3 times before i gave up...

LOL Sim, I've thought of the first thing you should get rid of in your decluttering!!
    Try again with telling your mum - you can't afford to be fatalistic about this. The only thing that isn't meant to happen is for you to put up with the 'quality' of life you have right now
    Forgot to say - the Oscar bear is speed crawling and also climbing on things to stand up. He loves that he can get himself upright and tries taking away one hand at a time until he falls over. He has been getting into everything (you know that phone book monster muncher? He's one of those, he loves to climb the phone books, then suck on the pages...YOU try stopping him!) and banging himself...a LOT! It's a learning curve, I can't wrap him in cotton wool, so we get a wail now and again to let us know that he has found a hard surface. He's learning the stairs thing now. Everytime he gets the hang of a motor skill, he doesn't like to just use it for a while, it's 'next step' right away and he just has to start trying the progression. It's driving me nuts, but he is so doggone happy about it. I've come to terms with the mobility part, but the rate of progression is still causing me grief. What 6 month old is already pulling themselves up to standing and toying with balance/standing issues? I tells ya what, none in my circle of friends' babies. Their babies were saying words when this was happening, so it's weird to have a wordless baby doing these things! My little freaky baby bear...At least he is still content being carted around in the Ergo...
    OK, gonna go again, for real...after I catch up on the Age headlines!

Simone - my girls both love sleeping in which can be handy sometimes (but not all the time!). Once I go back to work, things will change, they will be up early. I agree with Ik, try telling your mum again. Its important they know whats going on - particularly as they are so far away.

IK - so glad to hear from you. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful adventure together. I can't believe Oscar's new found skills - he'll be running soon LOL!!! You are so right about letting him go, they find their limits soon enough and a few bumps and falls is not going to do him any harm - its how they learn. He sounds like he is enjoying his array of food. At least when you get back bananas are cheaper. I got them for $2.99kg and they were nice small ones, perfect for kids. Keep enjoying yourself and look forward to having you back in Oz on Saturday.

Been at IL's swimming again this afternoon. Can't get Chelsea out of the pool, she really carries on when its time to go home. Got GP appointment for Marley tomorrow at 10.30am - hopefully some relief for her itching!

Hiya Junies... this has got to be a quickie... Nickel: fantastic to see you back in here where you belong Mel: Wade occassionally gets through the night with a dry nappy... with Verity we just waited until she consistently got through the night with a dry nappy then changed to undies, she didn't have more than one or two accidents... I agree with the drinks avoidance thing but make sure they have extra drinks earlier in the day especially in this hot weather. Sore Nipples: mine's still very sore... stopped wearing a bra when i can so the wound doesn't stick to anything... smaller boob is continuing to compensate but it's taking longer than I thought to even them up. IK: I also chew food like bananas for Niall instead of using a food processor or fork... I put it on a little spoon though but if I didn't have a spoon i wouldn't hesitate to MTM. I'd say the enzymes in our spit would also help to digest it for them. Great to hear from you!

gotta go... all kids still awake... so hot... full moon has been giving us all insomnia too! Looking forward to life settling down... miss you all!

ETA: also Niall has had a case of Roseola Infantum... Verity had it when she was 6 months old too....very very common at this age... once they get the rash they feel better, the fever is the most dangerous part of it... he's on the mend now... not that he really suffered... it was good to finally know what was going on though.

thanks for all your warm welcomes and hellos! Much appreciated, a bit like dropping back in to a cafe or pub where everyone knows you!

Mel - chelsea sounds like she's ready to toilet train herself given that she doesn't want to wear nappies. Same as everyone else re. drinks before bed. We started toilet training at 2.5 years, it took a good four to six months of loads of wetting herself, and she was still wetting herself at four. She is now 4.5 and we rarely get accidents unless she is distracted or watching telly and procrastinating about going to loo!

IK - Oscar is amazing, I can't believe how active he sounds! He is very advanced in his gross motor skills, but you can't blame him, look at how strong and active his mummy is (have you been back to horse riding yet?)

Nic - can I join you in the biggest loser club? I've put on 2kg from Ruby that I really should lose (lost everything from Giorgia) but it doesn't help that I'm short PLUS - don't you hate the muffin top? or is that just me because it's my second baby??

Bath - so good to hear from you, things aren't the same in here without you. Thansk for the advice re TT, one of those things that takes a bit of time. Is the thing Niall had sometimes called "slap face" (sounds terrible)? I have heard of it but not sure exactly what it is. Glad to hear he is OK. Hope you all sleep well tonight - its going to be warm.

Nickel - I just realised that in my previous post I called your DD Lucy! Sorry, it should be Ruby? I hate making a mistake with kids names. Thanks also for the TT advice - it is just frustrating changing all the bed linen etc in the middle of the night, but I suppose it has to be done. LOL about the muffin top!!! I never had one until after Marley and I wonder if it will ever go away - I am sure we can all inspire each other to get fit and healthy this year.

I found a really good absorbent pad you can lay on the top sheet and if they wet the bed it draws it won't seep onto the sheets. It comes from Lorraine Lea Linen party plan - does anyone know if you can purchase direct as I don't want a party!

It is still so hot outside and Melb junies are in for a few hot days. Sleep well everyone!

quick one from me to say hello - MIL is here and I am catching up with Simone today for a coffee - gonna tell her what a good person she is!

Nickel - we should call this place "Cheers" - sing with me girls : sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name......

Rory give Simone a big hug from me and tell her I'm thinking of her. Be back later boys are been feral.

hugs xoxo

Good morning

Disgusting heat... Verity and I are off to MC today to see a movie (A Night At The Museum) and shop for her sport shoes. DH doesn't mind the heat so much so is happy to stay at home with the boys.

Mel: awww that's sweet of you to miss me Good luck with the TT, let us know if you find about buying that sheet protector direct. I have a protector that my mother got from when she worked with the elderly... it draws moisture away from the person but doesn't protect the mattress much if it's a big accident (meant to be used in conjunction with a plastic covered mattress) but it's nice and thick and made of wool and easy to clean... helps with small accidents... nicer than lying on plastic.

Roseola: No, it's not Slap Cheek, thankgod... but its a virus that ends with a rash of tiny red spots on the torso. A lot of parent's freak and think it's measles but the rash is different and it's not as dangerous... and not really as contagious because the victim doesn't generally have a cough or other symptoms... maybe an earache apparently but Niall didn't seem in pain at all. He's over it completely now. I didn't even take him to the doctors because he only had a high temp at nights (by the time I decided it was time to see a doctor he had cooled down and was happy as Larry)... then the spots followed a few days after the temp and I knew what it was and that the worst was over. He'll be immune from the virus for life now. No further complications were indicated in my medical text so I'll just mention that he had it at his next MCHN checkup.

better go make his MCHN appointment now...

oh and I won't be on tomorrow: a tradesman is coming to fix a window/install laundry shelves/build a gate for our kitchen and we're off to the beach... probably Cape Patterson.

Also: I keep forgetting to congratulate Sim on her cigarette avoidance! I received your sms darl... but a few days after you sent it... fantastic work! Sooo proud of you!!!!

Hi all, just a flyin visit- pretty busy here atm.
    I went back to work yesterday and I am also working today, just nice short 10:30-3 shifts. Tori spent yesterday and is spending today with my Mum, she was really good and didnt seem to bothered that I wasnt there.
    Bath- I think that Tori might have had the same thing Niall's got, I freaked and thought that it was German Measles, but I have just been reading up on Roseola and the symptoms sound very similar to what she had.
    Nickel- Great to see you back, I think coming into a place like this where everyone knows you is like sitting in a big comfy couch.
    ANyway I had better go, I didnt realise quite how organised you had to be to get yourself and someone else ready for a day at work, plus we are staying at mum and dad's tonight for dinner coz its my birthday so I neede to remember bath stuff and pj's for Tori. I hope everyone has agreat day, catch you all soon.

Happy birthday Ali I hope that you have a great day and enjoy dinner at your parents tonight.

Bath and Ali Cody had Rosela a month or so ago, and I was one that thought it was measles as well but it wasn't and his rash disappered within 24 hrs so that was good news.

Well I had both Wyatt and Lockie up at 4:30am this morning throwing up and then Wyatt did it again at about 5 then 8, so he's only getting little sips of water for now. I hate when they have tummy bugs cause they don't understand that you can't give them anything to eat or they will be sick again.

IK glad to hear that your having such a great time.

Jess hope your going well today, I'm thinking of you.

hugs to all.

hugs xoxo

Rory - give Simone big hugs from me. Enjoy your coffee.

Bath - enjoy the movie, it looks great. My DH wants to see it too! At least you will be nice and cool in the theatre. Take care down the beach. Glad Niall is better and it wasn't slap cheek - at least I know what it is now.

Ali - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, have a lovely day and dinner with your family. Going back to work for the first time is tricky but you will have it down pat in no time. I was late to work a few times, but luckily my work is very family friendly and didn't mind! We had a strict routine in the morning so it worked well. Great hours too. Tori will really enjoy her time with your mum.

Amanda - poor you and the kids, hopefully the others don't get it and it doesn't last long.

Took Marley to GP and he thinks she has atopic eczema, which she would have been born with. He doesn't think it has anything to do with allergies (thank god!) and has prescribed some very low level cortisone cream. We apply very sparingly twice a day for 10 days and it should improve if not disappear. He thinks it may even clear up in a few days. We can then use the cream if and when it flares again. But to keep skin moist with sorbolene too. Good news all around. I hope it works.

Off to shops to buy 4 yo birthday present, then off to IL's for swim. Hope everyone is staying cool today!

Hey ladies

Had a good day with Rory, she gave me a couple of bottle of wine... She's not joking when she says she has too much LOL!! We were talking about having a wine party instead of a ****tail party, and just having nibblies and desserts?? I would love to have another meet up soon... Rory volunteered her place - newly renovated, balcony with great view... (I love your place Rory ) Went pumpkin patch shopping

Anyway, off to try and cool off, and have to kill these flying buzzing around before they lay anything ewwwwww...

Simone - I am up for a catch up, anytime, anyplace so count me in! I went shopping too today, just Chelsea and I. I love Cotton On Kids, they have such good bargains and most stuff is 50% off or more. Got a gorgeous pair of cargo shorts and a singlet top (with lots of bling on it!) for $15! Also bought a top for Chelsea $7.50 and a top for my friends 1 yo only $5. Got Marley a rash vest from Kmart and some of the bonds singlet suits. I hate normal singlets - as soon as you pick them up, they ride up their back. DH has taken Chelsea swimming at IL place. We were supposed to go over earlier, and all 4 of us go, but MIL had visitors so we weren't allowed to go over, WTF!!!! So Marley and I miss out as she was really tired and needed to go to bed. Oh well, a little bit of quite time and surfing BB now instead. Hope you can cool off and kill your buzzing menaces!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Smile

just a quick one as just got back to folks place today but a HUGE HELLO TO NICKEL... I had thought of you often and remember your kind jester of leanding me maternity clothes once.. I always thought that was just the sweatest thing and that you must be such a wonderful person, so I'm so happy to see you back. I'm sorry that you feel a little ...blah... but I'm sure you know that we all feel like that at some stage which is why we are all here! Ruby is a beautiful name.

Mel - have not forgotten your requst to ask my friend what she used on her kids skin - I just am not back in Sydney for another two weeks, i will ask her when I get back.. hope marley skin gets better soon.

hi to everyone else, look forward to catching up soon

HI IK: my girlfriend from baby yoga has a 6 of June baby who crawls already and loves to stand - I have not seen her for 3 weeks so perhaps she is also as active as Oscar, but we all think it is pretty special and unusual.

Here: in the last week Ally has learn to roll from back to front (finally), blow rasberries, take her own weight and go "her, her, her" whenever she sees the horses... very cute - she has grown up so much in the last two weeks it has been amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast