Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #30

Just quickly before i go to bed... Mel, Xander LOVES ham too - he would eat it all day if i let him!! The other night i bought a cooked chook for dinner, and he wouldnt eat the chicken, so i took it off the bone, chopping it up into little bits, and told him it was white ham. Little buggar... ATE THE WOLE LOT AND ASKED FOR MORE!! itried to give him chicken again, he wouldnt takeit "I dont like chicken mum, you know that!" SO i chopped the same bit up and he ate that too...

hehe how cute Marley! no more miss slug hey, Nixon is starting to wanna be places but annoyed he cannot get there. Excellent that her skin is going well too.
    lol that would have been funny to see you climbing into a window! Hey dont worry in the last few months we (i say we cause we both blamed each other) locked ourselves out TWICE both times having somewhere to be. luckily last time was NYE and there was a window open which had the xmas lights from the front coming through, but the time before we had to call a lock smith and cost a small fortune. do u think i have learnt and put a spare key somewhere, no the real estate now has our spare key atleast i could call upon them i suppose!
    Not to mention also not shutting the boot properly and getting a flat battery!

Hope Cody & Anneliese's needles go well.

howdy all quick one from me
    gad mothers group today and we went to the pool - Flynn loved it. he went under water and all!

better go - getting late zzzzzzz

#karen# Guest

Just a quick hello, Nathan sounds really congested, sounds like he is snoring all the time, but there is nothing coming out. Dr said he's fine nothing to worry about, but it's annoying because it affects his feeding and it's harder for him to fall asleep.
    Neeny - so sorry to hear about Brian, what a shock, what on earth was going thru their minds?

Simone - I used to tell Chelsea that salmon was pink chicken and she woofed it down LOL!!! She now knows its fish. Hope Anneliese goes well with her needles.

Nic - haven't given the car a flat battery yet, that might be next! How did Nixon go with the photo shoot? Bet he was a star!

Rory - well done to Flynn for going under water! Some babies hate it. Are you going to do baby swim classes with him, sounds like he'd really enjoy it.

Karen - must be frustrating for him and you but good news there is nothing wrong.

Finally off to bed - night all!

HI all!
    Well, this will be the last post until Sunday night, unless I can sneak one in tomorrow morning - we're going camping again with the same fire brigade crew as usual. We're taking MIL's campervan this time, so that should be interesting! AND we're going to Sheepyard flat - will report on how far the fires got! I love Sheepyard and I reckon Friday might be a swimming day.
    Today I went to the pool, too - must have been on everyone's minds! Oscar had a great time and I no longer have to blow on his face. I also went to the Babyswim Intro lecture (if you recall, I had to leave the last one early because Oscar had an uncharacteristically unsettled night and I couldn't hear anything) and it was really, really good! There was one important bit of info that I'll let you guys in on, and if I remember I'll post a general post about it next week. It's this: If you have a baby bath seat and you want your child to be safe in water, get rid of it. And don't palm it off to another parent. It has been found that babies who use these absolutely freak out when they get into a body of water (yep, even with mummy stuck to their chests!) and for ages the baby swim people could not figure out why. The missing piece of the puzzle was found and every baby who was freaky in water, it turns out, had been bathed in a baby bath with a seat. The baby gets used to being supported by the prop and associates being in water with being propped. Get them into a body of water where they float and you just support under their arms so that they are mostly floating...all hell breaks loose. Apparently, it takes quite a bit of separate swimming instruction and time to recondition these babies to feel secure with their mummies in water.
    The other nugget I got was that if you shower with your baby (if you can't have a bath WITH the baby), it is good practice to have them facing down with water going over hte back of the head to shampoo hair. If their only experience with hair washing is being supported on their backs with head tilted and water going from temples back, then when they get to sitting and crawling and standing stage, they resist having their hair washed. The other way (facing down) means that they can stand under the shower and have the water rinse their heads and they are comfy with it because they're used to it. Makes sense. But we stopped using a baby bath early on with Oscar, so I woudln't know any different - many heads nodded in the room, though, when this was put to the audience, so I assume some of the parents have started a subsequent child with BabySwim.
    Anyway, we also don't have to blow on Oscar's face for submersions (as mentioned above) because when they start to pull themselves to standing they don't need it. It's completely related to developmental stages (this lady has been researching babies and water and swimming for 36 years), and once they are standing they have passed the stage where they need that to trigger the holding breath reflex. They are then into the copying stage, where they copy your action of taking in an audible breath. So, that would explain why Oscar didn't respond to the blowing thing today (went to pool in arvo, lecture was tonight)! Of course!
    We watched a video and she said that all our babies will be doing what she showed us in the vid - swimming underwater from one parent to the other by the age of 18 months, I can't wait! So, for people who say that Babyswim doesn't teach kids to swim, big raspberries to them, cos in THIS Babyswim class they do I will find Oscar's progress very interesting as it coincides with a unit on development I'll be doing this semester! The thing is, that a lot of this swimming stuff correlates to behaviour stages and can be used for behaviour modification. Sounds out there to most people, but with my brief knowledge of development from previous study, I can see the maps and the interconnections.
    What an essay! Well, I was very inspired tonight, and heartened that I've been doing the right things by Oscar and his swimming/development etc.
    I went to brigade afterwards, so that's why this post is being written int he wee hours. DP had Oscar while I went to the lecture. I am not pleased, however, that instead of coming with me (as fathers are encouraged to do) he went to his brother's place. He was supposed to go to the fire station with Oscar to observe training and that was his excuse for not coming with me. Grrrr. As if I was asking him to come watch my hair being cut! This is all for Oscar and Oscar's benefit, but sometimes he treats it as if it's my hobby that he has to put up with. Nah-uh! Horses is that hobby, Oscar's swimming is the first thing that Oscar has done and it's just too boring for him. Anyway, I'm not sure how to tackle that one. He needs to get involved because swimming will be important when we have a farm...and a couple of dams...
    Sim - been thinking of you
    Dee - that's great about the babysitting!
    Gotta get me to bed, catch you all later!

Good afternoon More running around helping Verity prepare for school, honestly, it's a fulltime job! Maybe I'm just being extra conscientious but I also bought a periodic table poster for her toilet. I'm not sure if she will do chemistry this year but it will help to know a little bit before she starts. When I moved over to WA they did chemistry in year 8 which I missed out on as I went from year 7 (NSW) to year 9 (WA) so I had to try to catch up and it was so hard... chemistry is about the only science subject I struggle with... funny how you try to compensate for that kinda thing with your kids! So far preparing Verity for school has cost us nearly $2000 in stationery/uniforms/shoes/text books.... thank God she doesn't need a lap top!

Niall has been very unsettled lately which is why I've found it hard to get on. I think he's going through a double whammy of teething and a growth spurt. He is ravenous! In the past 2 days he has had fish and chicken for the first time as well as pumpkin which he especially loved. Everything is agreeing with him... and he has started doing this desperate panting thing when he sees me preparing food! LOL and inbetween mouthfuls he pants too like he is saying "c'mon c'mon faster mum!"

IK: interesting post about water and babies... I definately agree with getting them used to having water flow over the backs of their heads during shampooing.... that can be a real chore and a drama if you don't get them comfortable standing under a shower with their heads bowed from an early age. Wade used to have showers as soon as he could stand, often with me. I've never liked the idea of kids sitting in soapy water... they nearly always wee in baths too... so better to have showers JMO.... and communal ones save water. Wade loves baths though and when I am in the middle of cooking dinner it is handy to kind of let him stay in a bath so that he is out of my way for a while.

Mel: I PML at your window entry exploits! That's me at least twice a year... unless Verity is with me... then I send her in... once she squeezed in through a circular cat door!

Ok... still got books to cover...and uniforms to label... Niall is grisling, Wade is about to go to the toilet "nature-boy" style in the garden grrrr! and Verity has washed her hands of them both better go!

Bath - Niall's panting sounds very entertaining! Oscar has taken to a whingey panting...at any given time...and it's pretty cute. He'll screw up his face and start snorting. I'm not sure why, but I think it correlates directly to how tired he is... Anyway, I'll send 'zen' vibes to Niall to settle him down for you
    Camping - well it was nearly off...and I had a tantrum (I threw myself on the bed, uttering "F*k it! I want to go camping!". So DP has walked around to our friend's place up the road to see what could be done, cos I couldn't see his wife taking very well, either...let alone their 2 and a half year old who LOVES camping. Sure enough, she had what was tantamount to a tantrum, too, and now they are up there choosing a spot. Sheepyard is closed for now and so is Big River, our other spot. The others didn't want to try somewhere new because we *might* not get a spot...I say, but we *might* get one, too! So, hopefully they can come to some conclusions soon and we'll be off. Even if we come back Saturday I'll be happy.
    I think my window climbing needs some practice. The last time I tried it was hopeless and I cried! But I was also preggers, so it might explain that one. The previous time I was like catwoman and I scaled the wall and up into the window with relative ease! Great that you could do it in a skirt, Mel!
    Well, better go finish packing so that there is no excuse!

Afternoon all, well Cody is all immunised now until his birthday so I'll see how he goes this afternoon and tonight. Wyatt has stopped having his night terrors for the last two nights so hopefully that's it for a while if not permantly. I'm sitting here enjoying my mango smoothie that I made and it is going down so well.

Bath lol at Wade going "nature style", I know that my boys do this sometimes, especially after watching daddy do it if he's to lazy to come in from the shed.

IK have fun camping, and that was very interesting about the bath seats causing such problems with swimming, not that I use a bath seat, I actually think it's another one of those things that you really don't need with a baby, like a lot of the things that are out there for bubs.

Ok will go and have a browse around and catch up.

hugs xoxo

Howdy girls - trying to do a quick post between amusing Flynn and cleaning

Flynn pants too! He does it when he is about to cry - sometimes during his sleep he does it - cracks me up!

IK, interesting to read about the swimming stuff - looks like we have been doing all the right things. Like I said Flynn went under water at the pool yesterday no probs

Sim - LOL about the chicken!!

Neeny that is such awful news....

howdy to Jess, Amanda, Nickers and Dee

finally - who is up for a melbourne meet up next friday (2nd feb?)

damn - the terrorist (latest nickname for flynn) is awake AGAIN!!

Hi all,

Glad codys needles went alright Amanda
    Yep i have a panter here to when he see's food he gets all anxious or when i put him in the highchair and he knows what is coming.
    Interesting about the bath seat and swimming IK. We have a bath seat and use it occasionly, but Nixon started swimming well before we started using this as he could not sit in it until a few weeks ago. Anyway Nixon has sat in a baby pool, gone underwater, floats on his tum and back with me etc so i dont think him using this seat occasionly is having any ill affects on his swimming development and water awareness. Not to say that other babys would be the same just my experience with the two.
    Anyway hope u have fun camping provided you do still go.

well thanks to Mel's post about locking keys out yesterday i actually went and got our key cut today so no should not have this problem again! funny thing is it probably wont happen now we have a spare only happens when u are not prepared.

Edited: sorry Rory my Friday's are still taken up by premmie playgroup. It finishes end of Feb so providing we are still around when thats finiashed my Friday's will be free

Oz Day: dont know what we are doing during the day but we are having a couple over for dinner with their 7month old boy. He is apprently crawling now so we will soon find out what we need to do to baby proof our house!
    Last edited by nickers; January 25th, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Rory: Would love a meetup but Verity's first day of high school is on the 2nd of Feb and I think it might only be a half day... if it's a full day I'll be able to join you if it's in the city and fairly early

What's everyone doing tomorrow for Australia Day? We're just having a quiet one. We usually go for a bit of a drive somewhere... Rail trails have been a common theme (walks that follow ex-railway lines).

Amanda: yummo... I've got a mango that needs using up... you've just inspired me

Hey everyone, sorry i've been scarce, just busy spring cleaning the house...

I'll prolly be heading somewhere (beach if its warm enough!) as XH has the kids tomorrow. Tomorrow night im heading to Crown for a night out with a couple of the august girls, (one's coming from Canberra for the long weekend!) and then a august BB family meet in the botanic gardens. So a biggish weekend planned. But yeah tomorrow, thinking of heading to St Kilda, sitting on the beach in my kini, hvaing a few drinks... relaxing.

Hey to everyone, off to get the kids from daycare and make dinner, miss you all heaps!

IK - hope the camping fiasco sorts itself out and you find somewhere to camp. Re the bath seat, I used one for Chelsea quiet frequently and she started swim classes at age 6mths with no effect. She has loved swimming ever since. We have been attending the same swim centre for nearly 4 years and she is such a fantastic swimmer. Today she went to the bottom of the shallow end to retrieve a ring - she was so proud of herself and so was I!!! She also used to swim in a swim seat in MIL pool. I think it might depend on the baby but the theory is very interesting. I usually don't use the seat very often for Marley as DH usually does the bath or gives her a shower. She has also been in MIL pool and loves to float!!! I swam alot with both girls while pregnant - wonder if that has anything to do with it??? Chelsea also stands under the shower and doesn't mind getting water all over her face. You will love doing swimming, its such a fun and enjoyable thing to do with your baby. Why not get DP to take him to some classes. My DH has taken Chelsea quite a few times and he loves it too. Makes him feel involved. Have a great time camping.

Bath - there is so much to do for the first day back at school. You must be exhausted! LOL about Verity going through the cat door - my big bum would probably get stuck!!!! Marley also gets the grunts right before food or going in the high chair. Very funny.

Rory - can't do next Friday sorry, would love another meet up though. LOL at the terrorist!!!! We call Marley "possum" as she has such big eyes and when she gets excited her eyes nearly pop out of her head!

Amanda - glad to hear Cody did well today and great news that Wyatt has stopped waking. Hope it continues. I've got 2 spare mangoes too which I was going to caramelise on the BBQ, might have to do the smoothie instead.

Nic - well done on the spare keys. DH has moved ours to an easier spot for me to get to. Have fun tomorrow at dinner with the 7 month old.

Aust Day - DH is still on night shift so he sleeps all day. Going to the beach with my SIL and my nieces. Fish and chips for lunch on the beach (Edithvale beach), should be fun.

Had an awful headache all day today, so had a bit of a lazy one! When I get AF, a ripper headache always follows - I hate it. One of the reasons I loved being pregnant so much - no AF and no AF headaches/aches etc!

Off to BBQ my lamb - BBL!

Ok... Aus. Day for us is heading to Mums place on the Murray for Fireworks tomorrow night, then fireworks again Sat. night and then a massive parade down Corowa's main street for Federation Day (Corowa is the birthplace of Federation. This is where all the states came to separate from NSW!)
    IK- I know a fantastic place to go camping for the long weekend but it really depends on how far you want to travel, Email me if you want to know!
    Swimming- Well we have an outside pool in town but I haven't taken Patrick to it(or any of the other kids) the local ducks have a tendency to swim(and live) in the pools.

Jess, your Australia Day sounds great - I had forgotton that about Corowa; somewhere in the dim dark past of highschool education I think we did something about Federation. I majored in history at Uni but how bad is that - I couldn't have told you the birthplace of Federation until just now. I am still mulling over a trip up your way - I suppose once the older kids are back at school would suit you best - or would you prefer to wait for school hols?

Mel, your Australia Day sounds equally fun - fish and chips on the beach is something I haven't done in years. It makes me think that is something we should do with Flynn one hot night - head for the beach in the afternoon and stay till the sun goes down. He is juuuuust still fitting into his emmaljunga so can sleep in that quite comfortably.

Sim, I can just see you on the beach in the kini - you are so lucky to be able to wear one, even after three kids! Shall I say its cause you're such a young-un? Nah, that's cheating - you deserve what you have - age has nothing to do with it (well, at least for me anyway - I can only blame my belly and thighs on the massive amounts of [email protected] I have been enjoying lately!)

Bath - Ist day of highschool......ahhhhh! Be sure to take heaps of photos - I only have one or two and my evil grandmother is in one of them, so that doesn't count

SPEAKING OF WHICH I saw my mother's mother (evil grandmother) today at the Glenroy shops - NQR to be precise. She and I did a big wide-eyed double take when we first saw eachother, but by the next aisle she had put on her sunnies and I was staring right through her. Unfortunately Flynn was asleep, so I don't think she get a proper look at what she was missing out on. I felt so agitated after I saw her - it has been years (I think about 8) since I spoke to her, but the memories of what a crazy, nasty piece of work she is all came flooding back. But I did really well - I thought about how she can't touch me and my family and how I can just learn from the experience.

Nickers - having a mobile bub around is the BEST way to find out what needs to be baby proofed. That was what I meant by the chaos that was left behind when you all came over - it was more the stress of worrying about the bubs getting hurt on something than anything else LOL!!

Forgot to mention last time - Karen how is your little man? I hate listening to Flynn when he has a congested chest - so painful to hear! Let us know how he fares...

Update here : Mick has spent about the past week building the most flash-looking baby gate you have ever seen. I will post pics later, because it is like a bloomi work of art! He designed it so it can be turned into a coffee table later on.

better go - having mick's uni mates over for a bbq tomorrow, so gotta get the pav ready!

No kini day for me tomorrow- my gf just pulled out (her boyfriends going camping and wants her to go ) so ill prolly sit at home all day

Rory - that sounds pretty darn flash - baby gate that can be converted into a coffee table?? I think Dh has found his calling that will make him rich!

why dont u go anyway Simone? Take yourself out, grab a book and lay in the sun on the sand or grass and forget about everything other then the book you get yourself into!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast