Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #35

Rory- i do the same with Nix. sometimes i feel i should be sitting their playing with him on occasions i do but if we did that all day every day we wouldnt get anything done nor would they learn to play with stuff by themselevs. Most of the time i think Nixon prefers to be exploring everything himself. if he gets bored he'll come find me then i'll stop what i am doing and have a play with him

Julie- i had a laugh too at the finger painting!
    Melb girls- Mel & Marley are coming over tomorrow morning for a coffee and to get her tupperware. if any of you lovely ladies are free let me know and you are more then welcome to come over for a coffee too and kiddies for a play.

Rory - I do it often as like Nic says, I'd never get anything done! I will often leave her in her highchair with a piece of toast or a toy. She is so mobile now that she just follows me from room to room while I am cleaning. Don't feel guilty, I find most babies enjoy their own company and soon let us know when they've had enough.

Julie - Did you manage to clear the clean washing pile monster? I always do my folding etc while watching TV, makes the job far less boring! I love the name Will - sounds so cute. I like Oscars interpretation of it. Will might be the next Picasso.

Nic - looking forward to catching up tomorrow!

Has anyone let their bub feed themselves yet? I give Marley toast and pieces of squashed banana to feed herself but I haven't yet given her control of the spoon (as much as she would love to have it!). I think I can see what will happen if I do - maybe I should let her and take her outside, them maybe hose her down lol!!

Got a GF from work coming for lunch with her 2 kids, hopefully she is not lost as she was supposed to be here at 12.

Have a great day everyone.

This deck is really coming together! I had a stroke of brilliance, too - the bit underneath could be converted to a cat run, as DP has no plans for that area. The only hitch is that DP hates cats...
    Kids' Free Play - if it goes quiet, then I know he's made his way outside. Otherwise, I know that the rest of the house is pretty Oscar-resistant. If he's whingey, I know about it and he won't be left alone to play, so while he's happy to be off on his own, I let him explore and discover his world. Better than sitting them in front of the TV where they learn to be entertained, instead of learning to self-entertain - TV's a good recipe for kids who constantly say "I'm bored" cos there's nothing on TV, and plenty to do everywhere else but they never learned how!
    Well, I'm feeling so much better now - belly has calmed down and I'm eating solids again, phew!! And no more pounding head. Also, my pelvis has improved heaps since I first saw the osteo - she was very happy with it yesterday.
    Nickers - I'd be up for a catch up tomorrow, but I get to offload Oscar for a while so that I can study (got some assignments coming up), so that I don't feel guilty heading out with my mothers group tomorrow night for Indian (glad my tummy's better!), so I'll have to give it a miss, I'm afraid!
    Julie - they just don't get the fingerpainting, do they? I gave Oscar a go the other day and he just wanted to eat the paint...I pressed paper into his hand and I have that piece...but I feel like it's mostly my work cos I put his hand to the paper LOL!
    Oscar just stopped being happy playing with pots and pans, so I better go again...

Good afternoon Junies...

Ok, I stopped whinging about the mess and got stuck into it this morning! Niall had a nice long sleep so it made it a tad easier. I'm motivated by a need to have the house as tidy as possible so that when we return from hols on the weekend our house will be lovely to return to.

Nic: Oh no! We've leaving early tomorrow morning so unfortunately I won't be able to join you... have a lovely catch-up though they are so tricky to co-ordinate... a couple of other BB members and I have been trying to catch up for over a month now... if it's not one thing it's another! I've also been thinking of you and how worried you sounded the other day with your "OMG I can't believe I'm going through this again (pregnancy)". I meant to tell you that I felt the same with my last pregnancy and that the best strategy is to just take each day as it comes. Try to live 'in the moment'....and try not to think too far ahead (I know it's sooooo hard to do!) maybe some other meditational strategies will help too... don't worry Nic, you will get to the other side again

Rory: ah don't fret about leaving Flynn to amuse himself... it's a good thing If you return to him before he cries and starts looking for you then he will probably go for longer stints without needing you. My boys are the same: very good at enjoying their own company... Verity wasn't so keen... uh oh...back soon...

Niall just came a cropper whilst rifling through the garbage bin... now he's down for a nap... so far he's just sitting there playing with a soft toy... i'll go 'pat-pat' soon.

IK: Hope you make good in-roads with your assignment tomorrow... you'll find that study with kids means that you spend less time procrastinating over tasks... you just don't have that luxury! Mmmm Indian... one of my favourites... I hope DH and I can manage at least 1 nice dinner together while we are away... hopefully the Sofitel has a good restuarant nice and close to our room... maybe after the boys are asleep we could leave verity watching a movie with some 'room service' dessert... and DH and I could have an hour to ourselves... I can't remember the last time we ate a meal together, just the two of us. I'd only do all that if the room was really really close though... *finger's crossed* otherwise we'll all just have to make do with a room service meals... which wouldn't be too bad i guess... at least I wouldn't have to cook/clean away. Hope your cat-run eventuates! I'd loooove another cat... we had a gorgeous orange cat with a white bib and paws... but he had to be put down in 2003 He was suffering terribly with an incurable disease... I'd had him since he was 6 weeks old so it was very sad (he made it to 12 years which isn't too bad i guess) and he had such a wonderful nature! He was more like a dog than a cat: if we had a party he would put himself right in the middle of the gathering, and roll over paws up in the air inviting people to scratch. Once a neighbour stopped to chat at our front gate with her rhodesian ridgeback... Dosh (our cat) didn't like the look of the poor dog and stalked right up to it hissing! We couldn't believe our eyes! LOL He was trying to scare it off! and it worked! The poor dog started wimpering and put it's tail between it's legs! LOL If we got another cat I think it would be another orange and white cat or a chocolate Burmese... love cat's with character!

Julie: Thanks, we're only going to have the MA for 2-3 hours a week... but if it works out well we might extend the hours next year so that i can also return to study. I know how hard it is to have relatives living interstate.... it must be even harder to have them o/s... where are they? sorry if you have already mentioned. If your DS gets called Willy.... maybe Billy would suit? It's a derivative of William too. My sis has a William that she call's Will even though she was hoping to shorten it to Liam... but he suits 'Will' much more. The names we chose for our kids were selected so that they can't be shortened but I call Niall "Nigh" sometimes so no doubt he'll get that at school.

ok...better go 'do' Niall.... back later...

Because a couple of Junies are having difficulty receiving this via email I thought I might as well post it here... hope it's ok... (MA job description).

Job Description: Mother’s Assistant

I require a mature woman to assist me with home duties and the care of my 2 young boys aged 10 months and 3 years. I also have a 12-year-old daughter who is fairly independent and will be at school during most visits.

Tasks may include:

Supervising children during:
    Short walks (eg: around the block) and park visits.
    Entertainment (supervised puzzles, games and backyard activities).
    Helping to tidy away toys.
    Meal times. (Feeding baby in high chair... he is a good eater!)
    Collection of child from local kinder (via train if preferred).

Light Domestic Duties:
    Tidying kitchen
    Folding/hanging laundry
    Light ironing (maximum 5 items per session)
    Dusting (no climbing or bending)
    Work may be tailored to your abilities eg. Cooking/sewing/gardening.

I will require at least 2 hours per week. Minimum hourly rate will be $15 per hour.
    I will be present for the duration of your stay. Morning or afternoon tea will be provided.

Further Requirements:

I prefer to hire a woman who has had children of her own.
    Able to offer consistent guidance for children.
    No physical punishment strategies.
    My assistant will need to be fit and able. There will be no heavy lifting however the ability to lift a baby into a high chair is required.
    The ability to hurry after a wandering infant is also required.
    Respectful of parent's choices (eg: no red meat in diets).
    Non smoking.

I am happy to negotiate hours. Workload will be moderate, not exhaustive. Tasks described above are only examples, not to be undertaken every visit.

Having worked in an accredited childcare environment I am aware of optimal work safety practices. I will encourage my children to be highly respectful of your role and hope that a warm relationship can be fostered. I look forward to working together and maintaining a cheerful and relaxed home environment.

Bath, do let us know how you go on hiring the MA! You could start a BB trend

Nickers, would love to head to your place but I gotta work tomorrow

Well I had an ok day today - no mothers group because everyone piked out so Flynn and I spent the day at home while DH went to uni. I made the mistake of not sleeping during Flynn's afternoon nap (I watched The Catch Up - which I thought was pretty crappy - while I started sewing my new frilly apron) so by the time DH got home at 3pm I had to flake out for a couple of hours, even though today was his "day off". Poor thing had Flynn yesterday while I was at work and Flynn was being a real whingy-pants all day, so the minute I got in the door DH said "here, he's yours!" Of course, Flynn was perfect for mamma today

Better get off BB - gotta do some work work now. Catch you all soon

IK - deck sounds fantastic but I must admit, I'm not a cat person either!

Bath - have a lovely trip this weekend (got the right weekend this time!!!) and I hope you get to have your lovely dinner for 2! The ad is so nicely written and I am sure you will attract someone very suitable for the job.

Rory - I agree The Catch Up is pretty crappy! Not much else on at that time of day, next time you will know to have that nap. LOL about Flynn being a perfect boy for mamma! Aren't they always.

Just had a marathon phone session with my GF in Brisbane - 3 hours!!!! God we can talk. Time for a cup of tea and another easter egg lol!!!!

Mel - I'm not a cat person, either (had one cat in my life), but there are cats that I know that I like, if that makes sense. I do, however, want a Tonkinese!
    I would make an extended post, but I just got in the door, I smell of smoke cos I went to a burn off (didn't do much, but saw some red stuff and got smelly), Oscar's asleep in the car and a transfer has to be made before I hop in the shower...catchyas tomorrow!

Thats ok girls, we all have busy schedules. Mel i'll see you soon, Bath you might be already gone but have a great weekend away! and i think your add sounds great.

Hi

Rory - I think it's good to leave the bubs to play by themselves for a while and also a necessity to get stuff done. If i sneak onto BB i do feel guilty but not if im cleaning/cooking etc. I guess i have a bit of an advantage as Will will stalk/play with Oscar so they amuse each other for quite a while.

LoveMyGirls - Clean washing pile monster still growing! but at least 2/3 ironed now so i think he will disappear tomorrow! I made huge mistake of letting Will hold his spoon when i was feeding him something that was sticky. Now he fights me for it all the time which is a pain if i'm feeding him sloppy stuff! Hosing down after is a must! - bub, me, highchair, floor......!lol)

IK - Glad you're feeling better. Hope you had a nice Indian meal - very envious.

Bath - have a great time away and hope you get your meal for 2! lol about Dosh (cool name!) stalking the Dog. All our family is in the UK.

I am officially the worlds worst mother - i have just eaten my 2 year olds Lindt chocolate bunny that we were saving for the weekend (he had the egg at easter) - while he is sleeping. I have been craving something sweet and can't go and fetch anything as both bundles of joy are asleep and once i'd spotted it that was it! I will have to go out and buy some other small chocolate item for him before the weekend than hide it under lock and key!

We all had a nice morning this morning. We met a friend who has Junie triplets at a park so Oscar could play while we sat around and chatted and tried to keep 4 crawling babies on a blanket. Even with 2 of us it's so difficult to keep an eye on all at once and stop them eating leaves/each others biscuits/duck poo!!! have no idea what she'll do when they all start walking - multi reins i guess.

I tired Will with the yoghurt yesterday and he really liked it and didn't throw up more than usual so hopefully the dairy intolerance is fading/gone.

I didn't realise that you are all melbournites/Vic people. How cool that you can all meet up. Wish i was abit closer!! Will hopefully meet up wit the Perth contingent of BB at some point.

Julie x

Hi everyone....
    New to forums but my bubs is around the same age as yours... 10 months next week. Isn't it a fun time!! Luca is just crawling and saying 'Daddee' ... How about your bubs??

Hiya LJM! I'm just shortening your name to make it easier for myself, sorry! Oscar is saying "Dadda" and "Mumma", but I think they just come out of his mouth indiscriminately, he also says "Puppup" and "Bubbub"...maybe he's trying to call the dog?? Where in Aust are you? What kind of birth did you have? Are you still breastfeeding? How many teeth? Any mobility mishaps to report??
    Well, I've offloaded Oscar to my parents for the arvo, so that I could study, but I ended up having to go to the doctor to unblock my ear (whatever I had over the weekend must have tipped it over the edge), but I have to go back on Monday to make sure whatever was in there is all gone. It's weird not being able to hear properly when there's a child in the house (as there was this morning, before the handover), because it sounds like he's in a different place from where he really is. At one stage I thought he was in his room, but he was outside, making for the patio...having half-capacity hearing is the pits!
    On my way back from dropping Oscar off I bought a top for myself...naughty, but it's a stretchy olive thing (like Metallicus, but not) that will go well with everything in winter, under jumpers or jackets, or just hanging around at home...and stretchy enough to just pull up (or down, it's a V-neck) if Oscar gets the Booby Hungries. On the way back from the doctor I stopped into the other village and got Oscar some things from the kids' stuff recyclers - more naughty! But I got him a size 1 and size 2 wool/poly long sleeve vest (like a Spencer) to get him through his second and third winters. He's gonna need them in Ireland next Jan until I can get to Marks and Sparks to get him a good stash of them there.
    I HAVE spent a bit of time on assignments, so not all is lost, however I now need to express. I discovered that one of my assignments for next week is the same as last year's, so I've just submitted what I did last year to give myself only one assignment to worry about next week!
    Oh, and Indian has been cancelled tonight - one more night to work on my school stuff, woo hoo!
    ARGH! My head's done in!
    Anyway, Rory, hope DH didn't get himself too out of wack having Flynn for a bit more than his normal rostered Flynn-time.
    Bath - have a great time in the Yarra Valley!
    Nickers and Mel - how was your mini catch up?
    Gotta go and justify this Oscar-free time...
    ETA: Julie, some of us live in Vic, there's a few of us in NSW (Cee Cee, Dee, soon-to-be Nickers, Nickel, Jaspen?) and QLD (Amanda, Karen, Heaven) and WA (Ali, Tanby - who is also a July thread mummy, but was pregnant with us and was reassessed later in pregnancy as being due in July). I think we Melb girls get together more often cos we just happen to live within commutable distance of a meeting point by train! Or, in my case, I live close to Mel, Nickers is close to Bath. And, to get us all together can take quite a bit of planning ahead of time, too!
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; April 12th, 2007 at 04:28 PM.

Well I had a good day today (except for the migrine I've got now), so I will be quick, my apologies for no personals. I went to a park with some friends and had a BBQ and the kids had so much fun (his 'girlfriend) was there and they bickered like an old married couple it was so cute. After lunch we feed the ducks, it was so much fun.

I found Cody standing up in his cot on Easter Sunday and he's been doing it on and off since then, so it won't be long before he's cruising around funiture.

Ok this head of mine is really starting to ache, will be back tommorow.

hugs xoxo

Hey girls, thinking of you all Goodnight (yawn)

Just imagine lucky Bath in her king size bed on 1000 thread-count hotel-quality sheets, in a room with plush carpet that SOMEONE ELSE WILL VACUUM enjoying unparrallelled LUXURY!

Better go unstack the diswasher before bed (yawn) LOL!!!

Hi girls,
    LucaJack'smum,I'm in vic as well but I'm a country person.
    Sorry I haven't been round ladies but kids on hols!
    Nic- I didn't check in here first, but I was in Melb today round the Diamond Valley area, then headed to Chadstone! I was trying to catch up with Racs but lost an hour when Bella lost my purse!

ETA: Pat has 5 teeth!!!!!!!

Hi girls, I have been a bit absent latley- finding it harder to get as much time on the computer and I have been a little distracted. I havent had a good read back through the posts, but I hope everyone had a good easter.

Bath- It must have been difficult for you to make the decision to let go with some of the house work, did you ever go ahead with finding yourself a mother's helper?

IK- Hope you are feeling better, I was sick a while ago with gastro (which i then proceeded to pass around to the rest of the family) but it only lasted about 24 hours.

Big Hello to everyone else, in a bit of a rush today- DH and bought a new car on wednesday, we bought a 2000 Ford Falcon AU wagon (well actualley we swapped our pulsar for it) because we are going to need a big car to fit in another car seat and a twin pram as I am UTD. I got a yesterday and I am off to the Dr. on Monday to get it confirmed, I will be due about 20th of Dec, so a christmas time baby. Quite impressed really, we only DTD once on O day (after I had o'd)so we did well to catch it, hopefully it is a boy but a healthy baby of any gender is fine with us.

I'm surrounded by fast operators - Congratulations, Ali!!!
    Yep, an upgrade from a Pulsar would be necessary with another on the way, if you are ever to have a chance to go camping again
    Jess - I hope a trip to Chaddy has cured you of the need to come into the metro area for a goodly bit yet! It works for me, and I'm only just inside the metro area (and making sure it stays that way as much as possible!). I used to work at Chaddy and those days are well and truly done. Hope you got some good shopping done when you found your wallet, though!
    Rory - I must be in luxury, too - I don't vacuum my bedroom carpet, either! I s'pose it doesn't count if it's due to the stuff on the floor that hasn't been picked up for ages...poo!
    Oscar's got a runny nose, but it was stuffy last night and he woke up fretting a few times, the poor lamby.
    Question: who else hasn't started ovulating yet?
    Better go tend to him...

congratulations again Ali its great news. u and rory can be belly buddies again!

I did write a post yesterday then my pc conked it.
    I had a great catch up with Mel. Nixon and Marley had fun together. i forgot to take pics but Nixon had a head full of calamine lotion from mozzie bites and Marley was blowing bubbles & Milk out of her nose LOL. Actually dam those photo's would have been funny!
    Jess- oh bummer we didnt know earlier, would have been good to catch up b4 i go. hope u had a nice time in melb all the same.

well im feeling the force of trying to get a babysitter when there is no family around. I have 3 tup parties in 3 days. last night mate looked after him, tonight the girl that was meant to told me yesterday she has to work. so i after ringing about 5ppl my neighbour said she could. Then i get a call from her thismorning saying somethings come up ahhhh!
    i was about ready to say well he has to come with me (the party is in my street anyway) but i rang another trusty neighbour and she will mind him (and also minding him tomorrow for another party)
    really do need dh around to do this, but these are pretty much my lasts parties till i get to syd then it will be a lot easier to get minders.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast