Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #35

This computer issue is driving me nuts.
    Thanks so much, Dee - we had a good 'sesh' yesterday with the other neighbours after the funeral and got a lot out. I have my appointment on Thursday, and that's mainly to get documentation to cover my overdue assignments. I've had great support from within the CFA, too. We didn't stick around too much after the service and went to get lunch back in the hills...quickly followed by wine (Oscar was with MIL) and we were there for about 3 hours in the end. I spoke to the father just now and he's ok, considering. What a week, it's dragged on, but hopefully it gets better from here.
    Your wedding photos are just lovely - how could you think you're not photogenic? You're a doll! And fingers crossed DH responds to Lochie when he calls out for him! Oscar hasn't got any clear words yet, so that's great you have words from him.
    Nickers - I'm so sorry I wasn't posting much during your last week in Melbourne, or I would have posted a proper goodbye before you left on the weekend. I hope you find the support for your VBAC intentions in Sydney, but you've got a cheer squad here on BB anyway!
    Bath - you haven't been back since your 'dramas' in your last post a little while ago, please come back!
    Mel - cleaning out old houses is so much fun! 3 years ago we went through DP's aunt's house...she'd lived there since she was 2 years old...and that was in 1921! There were treasures, but she was also a hoarder and there was so much crap it was unbelievable. But I scored bits and pieces that no-one else wanted, and a cousin restrung beads she found and has gifted some to me, so we've all done well out of it!
    Dummies - I haven't thought about getting rid of it yet and probably won't for a while. Apart from me, it's his only other comfort, as he doesn't need a cuddle toy because of the co-sleeping and carrying. It does help him drift off in the car when I can't offer him the booby! Plus, I just got him a night glow one and the novelty hasn't worn off yet (for me!)
    Dog - we are now a two-dog family. Coco arrived today and is settling in well. She's much for fun than some toy breeds I can think of and DP is pleased with her for that! I've always had boy dogs, so Coco is the first ***** I've ever had...should be interesting. She's done a good job, in the hour or so she's been here, of keeping Odin in check. The real moment, however, will be dinner time...she's supposed to be a vacuum cleaner adn Odin really needs motivation to eat in one sitting. Also, we need a vacuum cleaner inside when Oscar drops food!
    Ok, better put this boy down for a sleep and get some more things done...like eat lunch...
    take care all!

Well we've all been sick except Verity. DH had Friday and yesterday off work. I was saying in here recently how men have the 'Flu, women have colds... oh how true that proved to be on the weekend! I soldiered-on making all the meals, getting up for Niall etc whilst DH carried on like he was dying. Well... to be honest... he wanted to carry on like he was dying but constantly reminded me that he wasn't going to carry on because he didn't want to annoy me... anyhow, we were both a bit snitchy with each other and I kinda feel bad venting about him here but geeze, why men won't learn to take care of themselves I'll never know! He kept saying "oh my head's throbbing!" I ask: "have you drunk any water today?" him: "oh, no...." why is it that simply drinking water is beyond him? Why do I have to remind him to take a vitamin C tablet? If I don't hand them to him he just forgets... Anyhow I just got really snitchy because DH was basically sleeping all night and then wanting to sleep all day too... which is fine... if you're childless or don't have a partner who has been up all night with a baby and sick as well.... Granted I was allowed a few naps but only if he felt up to looking after the kids. Anyhow I'm virtually over it now... I even dug in the garden yesterday and worked up a sweat (that I intuitively felt was the right thing to do... tiring at the time but by getting a bit of fresh air and raising my temp through exercise I think I shooed away the last of the bugs... as well as flushing them away with lots of water)... DH keeps saying he just wants to rest... well I'm not going to nag him but his sedentary habits are half the problem I think. Anyhow, Donna, yes despite this little setback we are feeling much happier after our short holidays... oh and our house is feeling so much better too.... DH did all our outstanding paperwork yesterday... it took him ALL DAY. He went through our entire 4 drawer filing cabinet and ditched everything that was not necessary and created the new folders we needed... good man He's not so bad afterall i guess.... oh and Donna, your wedding piccy's were absolutely gorgeous! You look so well, trim and healthy and your hair was lovely The setting looked beautiful and I'm so glad the weather was kind! Lockie is such a handsom little guy and good boy for sleeping so well these days... sounds similar to Niall... waking up just once for a drink... but it's getting closer to 4am thesedays instead of 3am. I think his tea-time meals are helping him last a little longer. He only has 2 solid meals a day though... I think this is helping him stay intersted in BFing which I want to continue for another few months at least... ideally would like to get through winter... he hardly suffered with the cold we all had mainly because of the antibodies he got through BFing I think. Words: I don't think he says anything other than "dada" with meaning, and maybe not even that... hard to tell... he says "bye bye" and waves but I'm sure he doesn't connect them with a departure as such. Verity is teaching him a whole array of sounds which he mimicks. Mobility: Still koala crawls. Cruises around furniture (walks holding on) but hasn't stood by himself yet. Recently he has started kinda trying to look through his legs whilst standing too. He is all over the joint and moves very fast. Physically he is quite little and people are surprised by how mobile he is at PlayGroup etc. Many people think he is only about 8 months old. I haven't taken him for a checkup for a few months but I'd say he might still be under the 50th percentile for everything... but he is sooooo active and happy that I have no concerns. I'll take him for his 1 y.o checkup next month. He is only just into size 1 clothing. Thanks IK for your thoughts The "drama" was just an argument between Wade and Verity about a spilt drink. It was only water but W hates being wet in any other context than being in the bath or at the pool. He absolutely loses the plot if he is walking around in bare feet and steps in a small puddle in the bathroom... which Verity often leaves after her shower. I know I know Amanda! Fights between siblings are sooooo mentally exhausting and sometimes it seems as if nothing works to resolve it... it just goes on and on... even separation into respective rooms just results in one or the other throwing a private tanty in there. Verity is on the cusp of being able to rise above it all luckily... but the times she fights back are the worst!

Better have a break at this point... feels like I've been tapping out a novel! LOL

Oh, Bath, sounds like you've been well-occupied with your four children (I'm incl DH here!). Am I allowed to laugh about Wade's thing about water on the floor? That sounds too funny! I had my virus recur, which is annoying. Sickness is just such a PITA. I, too, attribute Oscar's relative good health to the BFing. He's gotten off light with my being sick so much.
    3 hours and the new dog is going fine. Oscar is just delighted with her and she plays with him in a way that Odin just won't. But my big Odin is being very, very good about all of this. It's good that they are so different because there is no real danger of me overlooking one of them. One's too big to ignore and the other is too chirpy to ignore. It's weird having two dogs - I haven't been in this situation for years, since I lived with my parents. Still, I'm excited.
    My dad's been around and looked at my computer and we've taken out the laptop's keyboard all together...no problem since, and using a USB keyboard. Must be in the KB, so I'll try to clean it, but I may have to replace it.
    Anyway, gonna get back to tidying this study!

IK: I missed what breed Coco is... c'mon, there's a few Doggie lovers in here... detailed description please Afterall, she is a new furbaby! We'll want piccys too when your 'pute issues are sorted!

Sorry, I thought I'd done all that - but I now realise that I didn't!
    She's about 3 and a half years old, she's a West Highland Terrier (likely a cross, but might not be), she's wire haired and clipped ATM, but she gets nice and scruffy. She's a hoover and she's got plenty of spunk. She has a little bark, so not horribly yappy cos she's not loud! Will post pics when I have some

Nic - well done on the 3000 posts! Glad to hear Nixons rash has cleared up, its one of those things with immunisation that some kids get symptoms and others don't. I will be looking out for the rash when Marley has her 12m ones. Great stats too, he is a very healthy boy! PML about your new bub and a small head! Hope the rest of your packing went well. Are you in Syd yet? I wasn't sure when you were leaving.

IK - welcome back girl! So good to see your posts again. I am glad the funeral went well and you got to enjoy a drink with friends. Those sort of get togethers are just what you need after a funeral, time to reflect on the day and talk it all out. So you are officially a 2 dog family! Have fun - having 2 dogs just did my head in, would be worse now with 2 dogs and 2 kids!!! What sort of dog is Coco? We are still deciding what type of dog we want. I was hoping to have one before I went back to work so I don't have long to decide.

Bath - great to have you back too! Glad the sickness is finally leaving your house. Must have been a very trying time with everyone sick. What would our DH's do without us? Gardening always makes me feel better, you can either just potter or get stuck into it. What a great day for it yesterday. Marley is not a very big child either and is quite lean still in 00/0 clothes. She is having 3 meals a day + snacks + 3 bottles a day and she still isn't very big. I am curious what she will be at her 12mth check. Chelsea was little too. Where Wade and Verity small babies?

Dee - great news that Lachlan is sleeping better, you must feel better about that too? Glad to hear his cold has gotten better, most of the Junie babies have had colds recently. Marley only has 2 teeth too. Wonder how many the others have? Chelsea had far more at this stage. Wish Marley would say dada, she just says mummum over and over again! Then I could push DH out and he could get her!

Not much happening here today, just washing and did some shopping and posted some stuff I sold on ebay. Off to make my chicken pies for dinner.

Hiya Mel mmmm chicken pies... you're inspiring me... haven't got the time/energy to make them from scratch this afternoon but might send Verity down to the IGA for some Herbert Addams ones. Just don't feel up to cooking tonight... will have them with vegies... I'm sure Niall would partake too. I meant to say that I loved your description of tidying up your nana's place... all those treasures! I love pearls too, I'm sure you will treasure them for ever I also love ten pin bowling... sounds like Chelsea had a ball. Also, Verity was very petite as a baby (you wouldn't know it from looking at ther now! She's now not far off being as tall as me!) Wade was on the 60th percentile for pretty much everything... not little but not big... kinda average... Niall is more similar to Verity so I'd say he will have a huge growth spurt in his pre-teens too.

Nic: hey congrats on 3000! Geeze i didn't realise you'd posted so much! LOL

Bath- sorry i too had to laugh at Wade and stepping in puddles! I was also nodding in agreement through your whole post about DH and being sick. now i know not every man must be like this, but far out, there must be a chip implanted in them or something that programs them this way?????

IK- good to see u back posting. Yeah some pics of coco would be nice when u get time! i hope your doing ok, been thinking of you and how you were going
    my puppies are going on a plane on Friday!

Mel- shoot some chicken pies over here would you please! Nixon's had dinner i have no idea what im eating. not very exciting cooking for 1 so gotta raid cubboard/fridge see what i can use up

LOLi have no life Bath with all my posts!
    No seriously its been too busy atm... why do we do this to ourselves! I just want to have some time in the day to do nothing!
    im still in Melb, only till Friday. The removalist comes in the arvo (well actually only a truck we have to do the loading) then getting on a plane friday night. Truck will be in syd first thing Sat morning to unload.

DH has only been down on w/e's so i've been basically doing it all myself. my tank is just about at empty i think. My gf has offered to come help me tomorrow (godsend) so that really helps. Im the type of person who will take up offers but not ask for help and seings none of my friends have offered help i havent had any.
    I fell over last night while holding Nixon. Wer'e both ok. he didnt even know it happened because i never let go of him. i fell straight onto my knee though so have a nice fat sore knee now.

Bugger about the knee, Nic! I'm very like you in the 'help' regard - I've only just started to take up offers of specific help, but I won't go and ask someone for help if they've said "If there's anything I can do, let me know" - it needs to be specific, or I feel awkward, as if they will be surprised that I've actually taken them up on it and they've just been polite about their vague offer. That's why I've followed up my telling the neighbours "anything, anything you can think of, just let me know and I'm on it" with something unsolicited like bringing in their washing, taking over biscuits etc, cos I DO want to do something and I'm not just vaguely and politely offering. That was a long explanation to say "I know how you feel"! You could use "Hire a Hubby" to help if you were really stuck.
    Better go, Oscar is needing attention and shopping needs putting away and dinner needs cooking...
    PS I am so relieved that my computer works properly with the USB keyboard - I was starting to think I'd screwed up the hard drive, but I've narrowed it down to the laptop keyboard, phew!!

IK u said it perfectly. That comment" let me know if there is anything i can do" to me is such a broad comment. Like does that mean i can ask you to come and do all my washing and ironing lol. seriously though that comment is on the same lines of when someone asks you how are u today and you reply "good thanks" when in actual fact u might be having a total crapper of a day, nothing is going to plan, your got a headache, too many bills etc etc but you still reply in a polite manner not to bore everyone with your ****ty day "GOOD THANKS!"

I agree Nic. As I get older I find it harder to engage in small talk... so much so that if I am in the company of somebody who feels more comfortable "small talking" I go into a bit of a spin LOL I find that if i can use humour to reveal that i am actually having a *****ty day then it's kinda ok by the other person... otherwise it usually just makes them feel awkward I guess. Another thing is that as my life gets more hectic and chaotic I am feeling less proud/shy asking for help... I'm not saying you're too proud/shy BTW I just figure that these days i just don't have time to worry about what somebody might think... I gotta sort it fast because the next crisis is just around the corner! LOL Also I figure that if i don't ask for help occasionally then I am perpetuating the myth that I "have it easy" as a SAHM. Believe me... I will tell anyone who will listen these days how bloody hard it is raising 3 kids without the help of extended family. I wish more mothers in my situation would speak up too! Then the myth would be busted once and for all. Still I know what you mean Nic... if i wasn't so tied down I'd come up and entertain Nixon for a while so that you could do all the things that it's so hard to do while simultaneously caring for him. Are you coming down to the Mercy this week?
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 1st, 2007 at 09:37 PM.

whats at the Mercy this week Bath?
    I went back there 2 weeks ago on Nixon's birthday for the first time.
    yes seings that u mention about entertaining Nixon while trying to pack, he has done my head in today! he has been getting into EVERYTHING! finding tiny little bits and pcs on the floor obviously with boxes and clearing out cubboards things are around, my god as horrible as this is going to sound today he was just annoying......
    Poor bub though i think one of his molars is coming through so he's been a bit off and he's had big days recently that im still trying to get him back into routine.

He went to bed at 7.30pm tonight so hopefully back to normal (but fri we wont fly to syd till 9pm so going to muck him arund again)

That's perfectly normal Nic (having feelings of annoyance)... I'm certain we've all wanted to scream at times as we haul our bubs away from the garbage bin for the sixth time in as many minutes! (And if there's a June Bub who hasn't discovered their bins yet then they aren't far off it! LOL) My theory is that kids are psychic. Place them in a room and they will head straight for the items that you most desperately don't want them to touch. I would like to conduct an experiment: in an empty room I would like to place 2 items only: a wizz bang rainbow coloured toy and a precious but boring-looking item. Bets on are that the baby will read my mind and head straight for the precious but boring looking item. Example: in our bedroom there are many seemingly attractive items for a baby to touch. Does Niall head for those? No. Every time he crawls in there he aims for a boring but precious item like a small newspaper clipping salvaged from my childhood... he will choose to eat this as opposed to exploring the colourful pile of sequined dress-ups (clothing) that lies beside the rocking chair. Why does this happen? Because at some stage it has entered my mind that the precious newspaper clipping is actually within his reach and he read my mind. Why didn't I simply remove it? Because i stupidly assumed that he wouldn't find it to be of interest and so I turned my back and made the bed. Wrong! A child will find something to be of interest to the exact degree that it is precious and fragile. If it is not precious and fragile and/or infact dangerous it will not hold appeal. This I know to be true.

ETA: Oh and there's nothing on at the Mercy that I know of... i just thought that if you were down my way you might want to pop in for a cuppa?

Yep, I find that if I ask "how are you going", that subtle change of terms elicits a more honest response from people! When DP was working full time, I was very tempted to call up these vague offerers and asking them if they could vacuum my house...but decided against it. Bath - you're right about saying something, though. I've given DP an earful about when he complains when I ask for help and remind him that he
    Well, I excelled myself tonight - I cooked the nicest brothy soup I've ever done. I was prompted by the great soup our neighbour cooked up for us last night...and I had to go a bit better - some white wine and garlic. Pretty yummo, if I do say so myself.
    Nic - it's not horrible that you say Nixon has been annoying - Oscar was annoying last week when he pulled at the things on the tabletop and helped me drown my laptop! He's also not very helpful when I try to tidy the study without DP's help, so I know how you feel to a small degree.
    Better think about bed, I want to do some study tomorrow.
    It's getting windier outside...I just swept our paths and that bloody poplar is dropping leaves everywhere. It's not bad enough that it sends suckers running out all over the place and attracting the wrong type of possum (where are the ring-tails? Used to have them visit all the time at my parents'!).

Yeah I should go to bed too... but the blissful silence ATM is too lovely! Hope you got all your washing done today IK... 'specially those nappies... today was meant to be the driest day of the week. Our lawns have gone berserk though... I am literally watching the grass grow each day. Ah possums! Our roof cavity is prime possum real estate. Every other house in the street is possum-protected from the sounds of things so they all congregate in ours... don't know what species but they are brazen... the mothers parade their young right past our back door. I don't really mind their presence... only when they strip my roses *grrrr* but hopefully with this rain that will happen less. Nighty nite all!

Hi all
    Haven't been around much as had to finally sort house out as it was such a hovel and i just wasn't catching up. So now everything is ironed, swept, cleaned etc so i can BB without guilt - and even in peace as DH has gone out for a work's meal tonight so i can be as long as i like on the pute with no hassle and stuff myself with chocolate.

Mel - House interview went great. We managed to upgrade everything we wanted without the price increasing much as they had overestimated site costs and had to give us 'credits' for some other things so we were so happy. Lucky you with Chelsea rarely being sick - hope Marley is the same. Will stayed 'germ-free' yay (for now!). Am envious of your hairdressers trip - i bet you look great - i haven't been for 6 months so look like i've been dragged through a hedge backwards! I hear you on missing your friend whose off to japan for 8 months. I haven't seen my best friend whose in the uk for 2 years so was so looking forward to seeing her, showing her Will, seeing her new boy (2 weeks) but when i spoke to her a couple of weeks ago her DH has been offered a job in Saudi and they are off in July so i will miss her - gutted! Hope you had a fab shopping trip with just the one non-escaping kiddy! Sounds like you found some really special stuff of your Nan's - the wooden key and wedding horseshoes especially.

Nic - Wow - just looked at Nixon's webiste, he is so gorgeous. He was a good weight for so early when born - only 9 oz less than Will and he was 38 1/2 weeks (allegedly). Love the sign that was made for his party and the photo of all the Junies together is great - it's so nice that you can all meet. Glad to hear Nixon's rash cleared quickly.

Charmzy - Hi and welcome to Junies - good luck with TTC#5!

Dee - Congrats for DH getting the job and glad Lachlan is now better. Congrats again on your wedding, you looked amazing and i'm so glad you had a wonderful day after a few false starts.

Rory - How's it going without the dummy? We are fairly desperate to get rid of Will's as i have to get up between 2 - 5 times a night to stick it back in - but we haven't got the guts up to do anything about it yet.

Amanda - your camping trip sounds fab (bar the boys fighting).

Bath - Sorry to hear you've all been sick but am glad you are feeling better now. I'm certainly with you on how hard it is raising kids with out any extended family near by. Lol re boring but precious newspaper being swiped against exciting sparkly things by the bubs!

IK - Glad your computer probs are solved. Coco and Odin sound like fun.

Everything's been so hectic for the last week but now i think everything has calmed down now all the house choices are made and this house is finally clean and tidy, so as long as i do a little bit each day i should keep on top a bit better. I was on the skype to my parent's in the uk last night and they were watching William while i was talking to them and he stood up for the first time without help (ie holding onto a box but not me) and they saw it and i didn't! How typical is that - people 12000 miles away get to see my boy stand up for the first time by himself and me - whose in the same room as him doesn't!!

Both kids have been angels today. We went to our mums and bubs walking group and Oscar played with the other kids really nicely and Will was great and kept crawling over to me and giving cuddles.

Anyway, better go as this is going to be pages long if i don't shut up. Hope you are all good.
    Julie x

Nic - wish I lived closer, I would be more than happy to help you pack or watch Nixon! Like I said in a previous post, if we all lived nearer each other our babysitting woes would be no longer lol! Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly, but the sore knee is not good. Not many more sleeps now. Sorry to say the chicken pie was yum! Just be real lazy and get take away, you need some time to put your feet up.

Bath - glad I could inspire your dinner, hope your pies were yummy too! I was just thinking tonight, that I want to get some of my nans old photos, there was a beautiful one of her and my pa going into "town" around 1945. My dad said that going to town was such a big deal and you always got dressed up. They both looked so smart and my nan had a such a good figure. I have so many photos around the place, I love them and something like that would be a very treasured possession. Have you had any luck with the mothers aid yet? LOL about the kids finding bits they aren't supposed to play with! Oh so true! Marley would much rather rip up and eat a catalogue than play with her toys and threw her first tantrum when Chelsea took it away from her! Our bin is in a cupboard so thankfully she can't get to that (yet!). My SIL had my niece weighted etc today, she is only 8mths old and weighs 9.6kgs!!! She is such a fatty, but so cute and I love big fat babies, maybe because none of mine have even been chubbers. Marley looks like a midget next to her and many months younger.

IK - glad the keyboard is working properly, no more excuses for not posting lol! I know what you mean by the wind picking up. It blew my clothes horse over just before. I've given up sweeping, I'll wait until the tree out the front has lost all of its leaves!

Julie - great news about the house and even better when it doesn't get too expensive. When do they start building? Having hair dyed blonde means I can't leave it too long otherwise I look a bit feral!!!! Regrowth is not a good thing!!! Looks like you might need to holiday in Saudi Arabia next time, bit warmer than the UK. What is skype like, it is easy to use and set up? How nice that your parents got to see Will stand up, it must mean alot to them to see their grandkids even though they are miles away, pity though that you didn't catch it. Aren't days so much nicer when the kids are good? Mine were pretty good today, Marley has her moments of crankiness but overall pretty good today.

Must think of going to bed, I have to take Chelsea to kinder then Marley swimming. Then off to lunch with my GF, we have only 3 more Wed lunches before she leaves for Japan. Night all.

Ok... it's the full moon and my brain just won't shut down... but my email system has... it's thrown a spaz and it's telling me that nothing is getting out... so sorry to people who have emailed... I'm not being a snob... I'll try to sort it out tommorrow....argh!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast