Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2006 #36

Good afternoon Junies Hope you all had a lovely day yesterday... I was out all day.... first church with Verity then straight into the city to the footy where we watched a real nail-biter against Melbourne... but we won I was so engorged when i got back! Haven't been that big since my milk came in! Lucky Niall was hungry.... DH did well looking after both boys all day... and held off the last feed knowing that I would be home full. Niall also turned 11 months old yesterday too... I've been meaning to take some new piccys of him... when i have I'll send out my password to those who have asked (unless you can remember the name of my late cat LOL... it's his name). Rory: yes French Music classes are every Thursday morning from 9.30am -10am. They run according to the school terms and are roughly $100 per term. The classes are designed for 0-4 y.o children who are either fluent or at a beginner level in French. It is full immersion (English is hardly spoken during the class). Simple songs constitute the main part of each lesson. The small group (maximum 10, usually about 8 mums/child per lesson) sits in a circle and sings about 4 regular/2 new songs per lesson. Every lesson starts and ends with a Bonjour/Au reviour song so the repetition is helping the beginners to become familiar with the language. Percussion instruments are used for about half of the songs, hand actions for all the others. This is Wade's favourite aspect and he has picked up "rhythm" and following instructions extremely well.... Niall loves shaking the maraccas and clochettes (bells) too. There is also a piano and the teacher helps the children follow simple tunes on it if they are able (we are doing the French version of Do-Re-Me at the moment). Our teacher, who has young children of her own (at school) has a lovely vibrant personality and is also very encouraging as I practise my broken French too LOL We also do a bit of dancing and role play (pretending to be animals... French animals make slightly different sounds too Meu Meu (I think for Moo Moo) hehe. Anyhow we just love it... it's held in a pretty room with stained class windows so the whole thing is thoroughly enjoyable in every way. I hope to continue taking my boys until Niall is 4yo! ROFL at Spanish Golf lessons!!! But be warned, my mother forced me to do golf when I was verity's age (12/13) and even though I was a submissive child and begrudgingly went along with it i loathed it and it has turned me off the sport even though technically i have an excellent swing etc. If I thought Wade disliked any aspect of these French Music classes I wouldn't persist... it's sometimes tricky knowing what direction or activity to support your kids with, especially when they are very young... but their personalities often point the way... Wade is a very sensitive little guy and has always enjoyed listening to melodic sounds and constantly nags Verity to put on her school French DVD so this, for him, is a natural extention. It might not be right for Niall, but I hope so, because I too really enjoy it and am also getting to know the other mums

back a bit later...

Last edited by Bathsheba; May 14th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Argh, my head's done in! And there's more to do! I'm at uni trying to complete an assignment I barely understand at the computer lab...by tomorrow. Actually, the plan is to have it finished and ready to fax in about an hour and a half's time. I have my pump here, but may not need it.
    Bath - keep forgetting to say that I'm glad you're not moving interstate!! It's great that Verity is adaptable, though, should it come up again.
    Ali - also forgot to say that I was very sad to read about your GF - we just plod along taking for granted that we have our children, and every once in a while something happens to someone and you just want to hug your own kids to be grateful that they're there with you and all in one piece. That's been my headspace for 3 weeks now. I'm sure my course co-ordinators are thinking "Can she just get over it?", but that's the way it is. I hope you're travelling well with your little bunch of cells
    I've not posted in a while, so I've gone blank, and I'm not using my computer so it feels like another landscape and I've forgotten the things I wanted to say.
    Mel - I was nearly given more grief today with the course co-ordinator, but to make things easier for him, he came down to the labs and gave me a kickstart with some of my questions...so that I can hand this in on time and create less of a headache! The assignments, thankfully for me, have not been returned to other students yet, so I have a very small window of opportunity to hand in my work. And with a special consideration, I'm probably going to lift myself that bit further from a fail! I hope...
    Better get back into my headspace - pretend I'm not a mummy with a building milk supply in one boob and pretend I'm a student who has had no intervening factors into handing in this assignment...repeat after me, "statistics are my friend, statistics are my friend, of COURSE I know what I'm looking for"...

Oh IK! Had to giggle at "Statistics are my friend" You can do it matey... one paragraph at a time... I remember all too well checking my word count every 5 minutes desperately trying to fill out a 2000 word essay... and other manic situations like that. Try to get in that zone... this too will pass... we'll cheer you on!

If it were an essay I wouldn't be so lost! I have specific questions to answer, according to data sets, and there is no way I can flummox the marker with turn of phrase on this one!! I wish...but, yes, I can do it...getting there...

Ooooh tricky! sending some Clarity vibes your way IK!

The Boys have me running in circles ATM. Verity has stayed back at school (library) and I've lost my coffee... BUT I have cleared one clutter HotSpot (FlyLady term for a place that attracts clutter)... better keep plugging on...

Ali: I'm also thinking of your GF today... hope her D&C went smoothly and that she's not in too much physical/emotional pain. Please don't feel too bad about your own pregnancy... your friend will no doubt follow you before too long... I managed to conceive Wade 3 months after a D&C... still, it will take time to heal and move on I know.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 14th, 2007 at 04:14 PM.

Hi Ladies,

Dee - hear you with Lachlan pushing stuff around - Will keeps pushing Osc's wooden chairs across the tiles and the noise it makes is so painful! How funny - your post yesterday wasn't there when i posted - shows how long it takes me to read through posts, write down replys, type in word then post as you 1/2 hour before me

Mel - Your mothers day mug sounds lovely. i love getting magazine subscriptions for Pressies - my boys got me better homes and gardens for christmas and it feels like i get a pressy every month when it comes. Hope Marley's feeling better.

Bath - The French music class sounds really nice. Can i get your password when you've done your new pickies? Would love to see them.

IK - Good luck at getting your assignment done - statistics are your friend!!!??!!

Had poor night last night as Will coming down with cough/cold. Oscar peed in the potty again today so that was good and got brought bacon sarny in bed this morning which was excellent. I have me slice tray now so am determined to make the caramel slice today!

Hope you are all having a good day

Julie x

Bath - happy 11 months to Niall. Would love to see some new pics of him. The french/music lessons sound so much fun. I don't think I could remember many French words from my high school days.

IK - I hope you managed to get your assignment done, i can't believe they are being so anal about it! Statistics are such fun aren't they - NOT!!!! I am sure you wont fail the assignment - you might surprise yourself.

Julie - i have had Better Homes and Gardens mag too and I love it, which is why I like watching the show. Did you make your slice? Make sure you tell me how it worked out. That is so wonderful that Oscar used the potty! He must feel very chuffed with himself. Sorry to hear will isn't feeling well, hope he feels better soon.

Taking Marley to Dr's tomorrow as she still isn't 100% and her cold has been lingering for ages now. I just want to make sure its nothing more. I did notice today that her top teeth are breaking (I can see a bit of white!!!!) but on one side the gum is really blue, like its bruised. I am not sure if its caused by teething or if she has fallen and knocked it? Her symptoms may just be related to teething but will check it out anyway. The dribbling is ridiculous. She soaks her clothes constantly and she now has to wear a bib all day. Is anyone else experiencing this? DH had an RDO today so he stayed home with Marley and I took Chelsea swimming. She got a certificate today for a "Super Effort" regarding her strokes and floating! I am very proud of her.

Hiya Mel I'm just off to bed, but I hope Marley's ok and that the doctor puts your mind at ease. Must have been nice having your DH home today and getting to the pool with Chelsea: good girl she must love it to do so well... I really have to get Wade involved in swimming... I've badly neglected him in that regard. Meant to take some piccys of Niall today but just didn't get around to it. Niall is drooling something bad too ATM... yep, tops constantly saturated...

Hope you got what you needed to have done done IK ... and Hiya Julie, I'll send out my password when I get some fresh piccys... that photo in my ticker is the most recent... and that was over a month ago. Hope your slice turned out well.... I ended up making 2 batches... cutting with a hot knife worked out much better too, thanks Mel!

ok... this is me signing off girls... nighty nite all

Mel - slice is half made - just got to go and add chocolate!

Hey all, just a quick one from me saying good night for the night. I am working Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week cause I have to fly to Warnambool on Thursday for a council meeting. Not looking forward to a twin engine cessna flight!! Just trying to work out what drugs I can take right now!!

ciao bellas

Rory - those planes are in the air all the time, you'll be fine! They use them to deploy firefighter to more remote firegrounds all summer long, so they're good odds
    Bath - how scatterbrained am I after a day of being at uni? Happy 11 months Niall - one more to go and he'll be a whole year old...where has that time gone??
    Mel - way to go, Chelsea! It's nice to have a fishy, isn't it? Oscar was commended last Saturday by the teacher, and he did extremely well during a play swim on the Friday, so I was pleased with our efforts. He has his fins now, so I can't wait for the next play swim so we can use them. We're up to piggy backing and taking them under water with us - reminds me of Loch Ness Monster! I was toying with Gymbaroo, but swimming really does get his little body working hard and I can tell he's really pleased with himself, too. Not only that, between play swims, Booby Club, study, CFA, my horse and trying to have a social life, where do I fit in anything else?
    I'd LOVE to do some sort of music thing with him, but currently the only local music program for kids is for families from 'battler' backgrounds - referred by social workers or something.
    Julie - that's what I meant to say before - good one for Oscar using the potty! I got a leaflet from swimming that talks about Sleep Talk that can be used for loads of situations. Potty training is the example they use. You go in when they are in deep sleep and softly, but audibly, say something affirming like "you can use the potty for wee and poo" and repeat it at intervals until the child starts to stir - when they've stirred, it's gotten through and you can stop. You do that every night until they perform the action and when they do, you praise them immediately and say the affirmation out loud, to confirm what's been taken in subconsciously. When it becomes consistent, you stop and work on the next positive thing (I'm thinking along the lines of "you can make mummy breakfast", but not sure that's ethical...!). Anyway, that's just something you may like to try, or ignore, whichever! It has been shown to work, so I'll be giving it a go.
    Amanda - how are you going?
    Donna - the human plough! That's Oscar! But he can't move our chairs very well cos they're heavy antique numbers. I want to go to Geppetto's (toy shop up the hill) tomorrow to choose a birthday present for our niece (she'll be one on Saturday) and for Oscar, and I'm thinking of something that Oscar can ride on and push around, cos he just loves pushing stuff around. I'm guessing that it's part of the age he's at. But he was trying to get onto his rocking roo (too high) and managed to straddle some other thing that was on the floor (can't remember what it was now!), so a ride-on wooden toy isn't out of the question. Something he can use outside but bring inside as well. Geppetto's will have something, cos I saw their ride-on toys the other week but left them uninspected so that I could go back with DP and be given permission to get one!
    Assignment - got one done, and was toying with the idea of double checking my answers, but just want to submit it and take my chances. I can understand why they are being anal about me getting it in before everyone gets their work back. They have a policy about late work and work being handed back. Now, whilst work hasn't been techincally handed back, they were nervous about the policy because of the new feedback requirements being imposed by the uni. Feedback online suggests answers to questions, which would be sort of like looking at returned work for answers before handing in your own work (with the edits based on returned work, i.e. cheating!). Feedback has only just started but work not returned, so the coordinator made an executive decision (being that the policy, with the feedback procedure being so new, is a grey area now and needs updating) to let me hand it in by Wednesday, but sooner if possible. He was really nervous about it, and he seemed a bit brusque, but I could understand the position he was in, so didn't take it personally. He softened up when I mentioned that Oscar had been sick - he's got kids (I saw the pics in his office, and I'm not stupid - I played on it!). Long story short - I have something to submit, now I can continue with my other essay, knock it over, work on a mini-assignment, then the two other assignments, then exam study! Phew, I'm gonna be a nervous wreck at Oscar's birthday!
    Better put the boy down (sound asleep), so that I can come back and get my work ready to send. I'm rambling. Its too late for this sort of thing!

My little munchkin went to the Dr today and she has a low grade ear infection, nothing too serious. Her ears had a bit of fluid in them and a slight temp so she is on antibiotics for 7 days. Chelsea has gone for over 4 years without ever needing antibiotics or really being sick. Shows how different two kids can be. She looked at her gums but thinks the bruising is more from a fall or knock to her mouth, how did I miss that one! They aren't far from breaking she said, but I've been thinking that for ages. She can't go swimming tomorrow but should be right next week. She has been sleeping much better so she should be back to her happy self after the antibiotics kick in.

Bath - glad to hear someone else's baby has soaked tops!! I just leave a bib on Marley all day. The knife tip worked! Ripper, I think Amanda actually suggested the same thing too. I just have to make the slice now and test it out too.

Julie - how was the slice?

Rory - what a busy week you have. You'll be right, just think about something else to keep you mind off it.

IK - LOL about loch ness monster!!!! Both my girls love the water which is nice, cause so do DH and I. I did Gymbaroo with Chelsea when she was just over 6mths old and she loved it. The 2 teachers we so nice too and I stayed with it for a year. Started getting expensive though with gymbaroo and swimming so dropped the gymbaroo. Your life sounds pretty busy at the moment and uni will probably keep getting busy. Well done on getting your assignment done - thats another one out of the way! Good luck with the next one, you'll be fine.

Hi All

IK - so many assignments to do, so little time! how scary! i am in oar (not that spelling but can't think how to) of you being able to do that and be a mummy. I used to have a brain that worked ( i have a degree in chemistry) but it has been so mushed the last few years i can't imagine being able to concentrate and learn new stuff for quite some time! have to say typing posts in BB is about as academic as i get now!! Good luck at getting it all done on time. haven't heard about the sleep talk thing but might give it a go

Mel - the slice is fab! i am sitting hear feeling quesy as ive just cut it (yep the hot, non serrated knife works - well it would if you are a patient type of person and puts it back in the hot water to reheat every few cuts but i just wanted to eat it so didn't). I'm mad with myself though as i used the wrong sort of paper so i had to chop extra off all the way around as it had stuck. Good that Marley 'just' has an ear infection - at least you know what it is now and should clear up quick with the antibiotics.

Had a good morning at walking group but didn't stop long as had to hold Will/keep him in his pram so he didn't go near the other bubs with his germs. I think he's feeling fairly pants but didn't have too bad a night thanks to the vapourizer. When i was making his sandwich he came to me in the kitchen (i don't normally allow them in there - especially if the stove/cooker is on) so i was talking to him and he opened the bottom drawer which only has boxes and bags in but then misbalanced and fell against the edge of the cupboard and now has a really large nasty egg with a black bruise in it about 1cm wide. poor thing - i was so mad with myself for not moving him further out like i normally do.

Oscars' 'big-boy-bed' has just arrived so i can't wait to build it so he can sleep in it tonight and Will can finally have a proper cot instead of just being in the portacot with a mattress!

Hi to everyone else

Julie x

Good Afternoon (well it's as good as it can be with a cold... but it has started to rain here so that a positive)

Well woke up with a nose like a tap... the boys the same... didn't go to PlayGroup today... it's been nice and a bit indulgent having BB on all day instead.... gotta find a positive somewhere!

Loved you last post Julie I can so relate to your first paragraph! And I can sense my faculties getting mushier with each year at home too... but other "skills" are improving... like the ability of managing chaos and trusting my intuition which isn't often as valued in the paid workforce. Oh and to put your mind at ease I think the spelling you are looking for is "awe" and yes I'm in awe of IK for managing to study at this time of her life as well! BTW I get total blanks when it comes to spelling too so no need to feel bad about that! LOL oh and I didn't know you had a chemistry degree... that was one of those subjects that suffered as i moved from school to school in my childhood... I wanted to like it but I fell behind and never caught up... managed to find myself ahead with the humanities though... did a degree in Fine Art... hoping to return to study to do a DipEd so that I can teach... but that will be at least another year away at this stage.

ugh... tissues... back: mmm nice hot bowl of miso soup, just the ticket.

Mel: Poor Marley, nothing worse than an ear ache! I remember having many as a child... haven't had one in years though the memory is still strong. I hope the antibiotics work fast. We've only got very mild colds here... all seems to be in the nose infact... so far it's running clear... sorry TMI LOL hope it doesn't get worse... Wade will have to miss Kinder tomorrow too I think, gotta rest up for French Music!
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 15th, 2007 at 04:31 PM.

Well my first AF wasn't that bad, I had two light days then 2 days of brown spotting so I' glad it wasn't bad, not as bad as I had images of. Cody is nearly back into a good sleep routine, I've up the amount of food I give him for dinner and he's been sleeping until 1am and then wakes up between 6-7am. I'm feeling so much more relaxed and refreshed and not as cranky as I know that I've been for the last few days (I don't know how DH puts up with it sometimes).

Bath hopefully you and the boys will get better quickly, I know I had the runny nose for the last week or so but I think mine was more hayfever. Miso soup sounds so yummy.

Julie poor Will, but boys will be boys, I know that my boys are covered in bruises all the time and Wyatt was one for climbing up in his high chair and falling out when no one was looking. Yay for Oscar getting his big boy bed.

Mel Poor Marley, I so know what you mean by different immunity for each kid, Lockie is my one that doesn't get sick very often the others have there own things that they get sick with. I hope she get better quickly.

IK I'm going good now thanks for asking, I'd like to second what Julie and Bath have said, your a wonder woman for been able to study and do all the things that you do .

Rory hope your flight goes well, try to think positively.

Speaking of professions that we would like to do once finished having babies, I'm looking forward to becoming a midwife and once I've worked in a hospital for some years I would like to do homebirthing as well but we still have to decide if we want another bub and then I won't be starting to study until they are at least two. I've been a SAHM for 7 yrs now so I know what mushy brain is, lol.

hugs xoxo

Hi all, been dealing with snotty boy today - I didn't get to palm him off today because he was awake last night coughing, the little lamby
    First of all - thanks for your words, girls *blush*...I hope it's not premature, though, cos it's not like I'm managing very well at all! A bit of time management skills wouldn't go astray, either...
    I'l be back later tonight (I have some things to do now), but Amanda, I'm glad things have settled down with Cody! I've been thinking of you, so it's good to hear things are getting back to 'normal'. Yay, be a midwife! Yay, have another baby, too!
    BBL, Got a child to diffuse...

*groan* I'm not ready for today... had a wretched night's sleep... Niall wouldn't let us put him in his cot which I don't usually mind but due to his cold he was snoring loudly between DH and I... which didn't bother me that much but DH was kept awake and was tossing and turning and muttering that he might have to go sleep somewhere else because he had to work etc... at least Wade slept in until 8.30am but no Kinder for him because I can't get him there... he is borderline as to whether he is well enough himself anyhow. It's times like this I wonder how the Duggar family cope with family illness... what to they do when all 17 of them are up all night and the poor mother (who is expecting her 18th baby) how does she sleep? You'd have to hire a nurse...

Amanda; How did I miss that you were working towards being a midwife?! Sounds great, we certainly need more of those! Did you read the thread about how there is talk of introducing homebirths as more the norm than hospital births (in WA)? Very interesting.

You'll have to excuse any odd posts today as I try to cope with sleep deprivation and a head cold... Hope Oscar's cold isn't getting worse IK... you deserve better night's sleep after yesterdays effort!

Wow Amanda, thinking about number 5! DH and I are keen on 3, maybe 4, but 5 is a jump again. But I suppose if you have 4 you think "what the heck". I guess you've already done the bigger car burdle, which would be the big one for us to go from 3 to 4. Still, having to buy another car seems a pretty short-sighted reason not to have another bub, doesn't it LOL!! It's kind of like saying "oh I don't want that better job because it will take me 20 mins more of travelling time a week LOL!!

Can't you see I'm talking myself into 4 kids!!

Bath and IK, hope your days are better, and Julie, how is Will?

Bit sad today cause I am working instead of home with my boy and going to mothers group, but mick might take Flynn along, depending how his runny nose is going. But that said one of the bubs in MG has blisters in his mouth (cold sore infection) so maybe he should stay away so he doesn't get infected too.

But on the up side I am home tomorrow and flying to Warnambool like I said in last post. I am not so worried about the flight (I love flying) but about the motion sickness!! I keep watching the weather coming from Adelaide, worrying about throwing up on the plane!! Still, 50 minutes of nausea is better than a 6-8 hour round trip in the car I guess.

The BEST bit about going, though, is I get to sleep ALL night and won't hear Flynn crying!!! Even though DH gets up when I have to go to work the next day, I still wake up and have to wake HIM up. He is the Worlds Best Dad in all other respects, so I shouldn't complain LOL!

ciao bellas

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast